Hydrogen Generator Setup Troubleshooting - Help!

Here's a cap of my hydrogen setup. I can't get anything at all to flow, and for the life of me i can't figure out /why/. I suspect i have got some directionality wrong, because i have a hard time deciphering the icons (they look so similar to me, and the colours don't help me) So if anyone could point out where i've hecked up I'd be very grateful.

HydrogenGenSetup.jpg

There is a small reminder on the top right of the screen which tells you which color/symbol has what use. It may be a bit harder for color blind people. Here you have connected identical symbols by pipes. This means you have connected inputs to inputs and output to outputs. You rather should connect the output of one building to the input of another one.

Ok, i'll jostle about my piping, and add a pump to each room(?) And BlueLance, are you saying i should just go with one electrolyser? I'll probably have to figure out how to also bring H in from a natural pocket somewhere so that the generator actually turns once in awhile :p

(also for some reason i have a HORRIBLE time parsing the icon language for the inputs/outputs...i normally read well gud, y'know, but i am CONSTANTLY having to look at the key and still getting damned confused, it slows me down so much.)

4 hours ago, youenl said:

Also, your current setup is going to suffer from over-pressure. Pumps can only move 500g/s of gas when electrolyzers are producing 1000g/s - meaning you actually need 2 pumps per electrolyzer.

While I agree with you, it's not necessarily a big problem. If you put two pumps for one electrolizer, you won't be overpressurized anymore.  But this means that the pumps will sometimes fail to find 500g to pump and will pump less. The problem is that the power consumption of a pump is not directly related to the quantity it pumps. It will always consume 240W when pumping and 0W when not pumping. Thus, with two pumps you will have almost twice the consumption but less than twice the gas output and the electrolizer not working a fraction of the time. Thus, the overall power efficiency is reduced.

It has already been discussed on this forum: I remember someone explaining that it was better to spread the electrolizer in the base, let them overpressurize as it has not power waste, and collect the hydrogen at the top. This require to build an hydrogen collector ceiling, but you can use only one pump for 4-5 electrolizer and thus saving a lot on power consumption. This is what I'm doing in my current colony.

1 hour ago, Synfony said:

i am CONSTANTLY having to look at the key and still getting damned confused, it slows me down so much.

Same for me.

Cilya: Thanks - it's good to know it's not just me and my weird brain. the shapes are similar enough, and there's nothing about green, white, or orange that my brain associates with 'in' 'out' or 'shake it all about'.....

I want to make sure that the hydrogen collects properly and doesn't foul up any other bits of my setup. do you have pointers on how to construct one's base so that you can use the more power-friendly four-electrolysers-to-a-pump setup?

(hey, KLEI, i think you may have overstylised your icon. Might i suggest an arrow clearly entering or exiting an enclosed shape? With the foreshortening you put on the arrow here, now you have given the icon a depth, and i see it in terms of myself - arrow going out /from me/ or in /towards me/, and that is exactly wrong for what you mean)

32 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

I'm not a fan of open oxygen systems because the hydrogen collection at the top is messy. Just wish air pumps were a bit more linear.

I do this (this is at the top of my base proper):

E5F6A048F11437238BD4ADA0D2501E583FB8105A

You may want an Atmo Switch on the pump at the top to keep the hydrogen pressure up and to avoid wasting power on small packets, though I haven't needed one yet in this particular base. This system works great, and isn't very messy. If I had more dupes then I would put one on the right side of the base and another on the left side of the base, each separately looking pretty much exactly like this.

If you were talking about sprinkling electrolyzers randomly about the base then I agree, the hydrogen becomes annoying to deal with. Also less of it is produced because of the hydrogen deletion bug.

46 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

I'm not a fan of open oxygen systems because the hydrogen collection at the top is messy. Just wish air pumps were a bit more linear.

Hydrogen collection can be made clean and efficient. What's usually messy for me is the temperature of the released oxygen. You need to cool it down if you don't want to fry your base and that's better done in a controlled manner.

6 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Hydrogen collection can be made clean and efficient. What's usually messy for me is the temperature of the released oxygen. You need to cool it down if you don't want to fry your base and that's better done in a controlled manner.

Wow that's super compact. Nice! Still I think strawberrygirl was talking about just dropping electrolyzers around the base and then collecting the hydrogen as it slowly rises up the base.

I used to drop electrolyzers and just collect hydrogen at the top but this usually makes a mess - with this I haven't seen a need for them since the treatment of slime and algea - I usually have a significant surplus, that's not to mention the very large deposits that can be found in the hot biomes ( along with hydrogen and chlorine ). Therefore, I usually gut the majority of a hot biome and just collect that hydrogen and burn it off in a temporary generator setup to manage said gutting of the biome and collection of any resources.

16 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

...I usually have a significant surplus, ..

I made it same way(pyramide shaped top), but something changed. Dunno what it is, hydrogen not climbing up so quick, or output of electrolyzers "feels" reduced, but i have to plant electzrolyzers everywhere in the base to get some sort of steady flow to produce energy out of it.
I use it now more in an on/off configuration with other energy sources.

17 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I made it same way(pyramide shaped top), but something changed. Dunno what it is, hydrogen not climbing up so quick, or output of electrolyzers "feels" reduced, but i have to plant electzrolyzers everywhere in the base to get some sort of steady flow to produce energy out of it.
I use it now more in an on/off configuration with other energy sources.

Less hydrogen is produced than should be produced unless the top two tiles of the electrolyzer are kept in hydrogen atmosphere. This is because the game struggles to find a place to put the hydrogen since it can only have one type of fluid per tile. A setup like Kasuha's is ideal for this purpose. Mine is good but not as good as that one.

Archived