Natural Gas doesn't spread as it should

Hi Community,

well I faced a strange behavior in my latest game where I tried to run about 7 natural gas generators with two geysers and 5 fertilizer makers. You can see my current setup onto the attached screenshot. I already tried such a geyser/fertilizer maker combo in another game which worked charming. Even if I restrict the flow with a valve, the pressure isn't rising at all. Only if I deactivate the pumps completely, the pressure starts rising after a certain time. I tried then to get additional gas from another geyser (second screenshot) which I didn't connected to the generators but to a vent near the pump to see if the pressure will rise by that but hell no it won't.

Is there any error/bug in my construction (mesh tiles, fertilizer makers too close to each other, pumps on the bottom, etc) which I overlook perhaps?

Cheers

Chris

20170620224248_1.jpg

20170620225140_1.jpg

How much natural gas are your pumps removing from the geyser? Its average production should be 100 g per second but the production cycle is 600 seconds (one cycle) long and production varies over that period.

Reliable power saving gas geyser harness may look like this:

UZQ5N0p.jpg

Hmm. 7 NGG is too much for your supply of Natural Gas.
1 Natural Gas Geyser outputs approximately 99.6 g/s, that should be enough for 1 and 2/3 NGG.

Your total Natural Gas production
2 Natural Gas Geyser : 99.6 g/s x 2 = 199.2 g/s

5 Fertilizer Makers      : 20 g/s x 5    = 100 g/s

Total                                                  = 299.2 g/s

with a NGG consuming 60 g/s, that should be enough for only 4.987 NGG

39 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

Hmm. 7 NGG is too much for your supply of Natural Gas.
1 Natural Gas Geyser outputs approximately 99.6 g/s, that should be enough for 1 and 2/3 NGG.

Your total Natural Gas production
2 Natural Gas Geyser : 99.6 g/s x 2 = 199.2 g/s

5 Fertilizer Makers      : 20 g/s x 5    = 100 g/s

Total                                                  = 299.2 g/s

with a NGG consuming 60 g/s, that should be enough for only 4.987 NGG

I agree with your calculation, I guess I could try it with one single pump, I'm always struggling how much intersections I can run with one circuit without "breaking" the flow to the NGGs. Well finally I understood how to setup a power circuit with transformers without melting my cables all the time and now I'm too stupid to get a stable power generation argh xD

@Chris_Hoefler Normally I find it easier to slightly underutilize a resource. This way the pipe will fill up to ensure an even distribution. In the case of your setup, this could either be to have 5 generators and 6 makers (so you have 20 g/s extra), or to add a valve just before the input of one generator, to ensure it gets slightly less than 60 g/s. The extra will ensure the area remains pressurized, and the pipes remain completely full (because one pump brings in 500 g/s, and you are consumed a little less than 300 g/s, so the pump will self-limit once the pipes are full).

Geysers had their production decreased by 75% recently, so when you tried to feed 7 NGG with 2 geysers and 5 FMs in your last game it would have worked well, since at that time 2 geysers and 5 FMs would have fed something like 14 NGG.  Now that will only feed 5 NGG, due to the geyser nerf.  This is assuming your last game is from before that change, of course.

11 hours ago, Chris_Hoefler said:

I agree with your calculation, I guess I could try it with one single pump, I'm always struggling how much intersections I can run with one circuit without "breaking" the flow to the NGGs. Well finally I understood how to setup a power circuit with transformers without melting my cables all the time and now I'm too stupid to get a stable power generation argh xD

You need to clearly separate producers and consumers. Think of all pipes as one way. You can enforce one way pipes by adding bridges and valves, because they have a consuming end and a producing end.

If your pipes aren't one way, but instead have alternating producers and consumers, the flow direction will change often and in unpredictable ways.

Even seemingly one way pipes with alternating producers and consumers can be wonky, but that can be prevented by enforcing the direction with bridges and valves, so that every sub-section of the pipe system has clear, obvious, unambiguous direction from producers to consumers.

6 hours ago, Trego said:

Geysers had their production decreased by 75% recently, so when you tried to feed 7 NGG with 2 geysers and 5 FMs in your last game it would have worked well, since at that time 2 geysers and 5 FMs would have fed something like 14 NGG.  Now that will only feed 5 NGG, due to the geyser nerf.  This is assuming your last game is from before that change, of course.

Well that sounds like a reasonable explanation why it worked in my last game, thanks I guess I should read those patch notes more carefully xD

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

You need to clearly separate producers and consumers. Think of all pipes as one way. You can enforce one way pipes by adding bridges and valves, because they have a consuming end and a producing end.

If your pipes aren't one way, but instead have alternating producers and consumers, the flow direction will change often and in unpredictable ways.

Even seemingly one way pipes with alternating producers and consumers can be wonky, but that can be prevented by enforcing the direction with bridges and valves, so that every sub-section of the pipe system has clear, obvious, unambiguous direction from producers to consumers.

That's exactely why I tried to feed the NGGs with two separate pumps, I wanted to avoid any wonky circuits. I removed one of the pipes and connected a third geyser to the NG chamber which now seems to be stable. The single pump has no issues to feed all 7 NGGs without breaks as long as the delivered flow contains enough gas. Thanks for the advices guys, hope I can manage the run to cycle 1000 now xD

I started using bridges at every intersection, it works pretty well and removes any ambiguity on which direction the gas will go. It also lets you choose which run of piping gets priority since bridges will delay packets if theres already flow thru the pipe

6 hours ago, Townkill said:

I started using bridges at every intersection, it works pretty well and removes any ambiguity on which direction the gas will go. It also lets you choose which run of piping gets priority since bridges will delay packets if theres already flow thru the pipe

I've been using valves recently, so that's another option.

I'm mostly trying to crack the equation of adding the slime processors - since those generate additional Polluted Water to feed the Fertilizer Makers. It's tough math any way you slice it.

Archived