How do I get excellent yields for food?

I am a tad confused on how to produce excellent quality crops.   I fertilize, irrigate and even managed to maintain ideal temperature but I seem to only get to good quality.  I read somewhere that you can "ripen" the plant by not auto harvesting and leaving it fully grown but that does not seen to work.  What is the process of getting excellent quality?

Your process is fine, but there is a problem with getting harvest rating - they forgot to update a part of in when they changed the mechanic before EA release. Fix hopefully comes after the weekend. The effect gain is lower than it should be (you can see it in planter description and then check the plant itself) Only Sleet Wheet is not affected, due to it's having only 1 harvest.

The system was tweaked to needing all 4 effects at least for a while to get Excellent yield on first harvest of all plants. Multiple harvest plants continue to gain points til last harvest so they can get excellent on subsequent ones with less effects if not on first.

8 minutes ago, Vilda said:

Your process is fine, but there is a problem with getting harvest rating - they forgot to update a part of in when they changed the mechanic before EA release. Fix hopefully comes after the weekend. The effect gain is lower than it should be (you can see it in planter description and then check the plant itself) Only Sleet Wheet is not affected, due to it's having only 1 harvest.

The system was tweaked to needing all 4 effects at least for a while to get Excellent yield on first harvest of all plants. Multiple harvest plants continue to gain points til last harvest so they can get excellent on subsequent ones with less effects if not on first.

They always needed all 4 modifiers to get 100%, they just started with 100% harvest on the first harvest which was completely broken.
Now it needs 4 modifiers to get 100% on the final harvest which is far more difficult but fair for all plants.

If you are referring to the UI that they forgot, that plays no role in the plant growth. The game is just currently lying to you.

Been saying they need to drop it to 3/4 modifiers for 100% on final harvest because 100% is near impossible to reach right now.

Hmm, so it's the other way around... I thought the problem is in the numbers and not the UI. That seems like a weird choice. I mean, what is the point of having better yields, when you can't get them on every harvest? Especially with a plant like PP, and it's low yield/long lifecycle. Sure, let it be hard, but it should be doable.

... and easier on theorycrafting, really don't wanna calculate scenarios for various yields over lifecycle...

1 hour ago, azmod2000 said:

What is the process of getting excellent quality?

You need irigate, fertiziler, ideal temperature, but also ideal pressure. You are probably lacking this one at the moment.

3 hours ago, Vilda said:

Hmm, so it's the other way around... I thought the problem is in the numbers and not the UI. That seems like a weird choice. I mean, what is the point of having better yields, when you can't get them on every harvest? Especially with a plant like PP, and it's low yield/long lifecycle. Sure, let it be hard, but it should be doable.

... and easier on theorycrafting, really don't wanna calculate scenarios for various yields over lifecycle...

It is doable. You need to care for your plant in ideal conditions from 0-100% growth. If you met those conditions half way through, your final harvest will not yield Excellent results. However on your next seed it should reach Excellent.

4 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

The 'ideal' range is only shown as a tooltip in the plant window when the condition is met:
-

The planter only lists the range where it'll grow at all:

2f2621f149.png

Scroll down. It's all listed.

14 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

The 'ideal' range is only shown as a tooltip in the plant window when the condition is met:

The planter only lists the range where it'll grow at all:

KZRk380.jpg

Yea, missed it most likely because of being sick and tired from scrolling around in the interface.

Also the slight problem of the information being incomplete:

0ba6ac55ff.png

vs.

3e5dd82831.jpg

Also: why do I have to scroll in that window at all, having enough screen estate available to show it completely?

55 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

It is doable.

I am not saying it's not. But as it is now, you can have the Excellent yield only on the last harvest, not a sooner one. Except 4th harvest of BB, but that does not affect it in any way.

49 minutes ago, Vilda said:

I am not saying it's not. But as it is now, you can have the Excellent yield only on the last harvest, not a sooner one. Except 4th harvest of BB, but that does not affect it in any way.

Would you prefer it to give, let's say 1 seed on each of the last two harvests for Mealwood? With Blossom it specifically says "Only on the last harvest" so for both crops, it is intended and doable. How else do you prevent 3-5 harvest plants from giving 3-5 seeds when the developers only want you to have 2 per 1 seed?

If they changed it to requiring 3 modifiers where the 4th is optional having all 4 would give ideal yields of...

Harvest 1	Harvest 2	Harvest 3	Harvest 4	Harvest 5
Mealwood		66.66666667	100		133.3333333					
Bristle Blossom		74.07407407	88.88888889	103.7037037	118.5185185	133.3333333
Sleet Wheat		133.3333333				
Pincha Pepperplant	51.28205128	92.30769231	133.3333333		

Looks fair doesn't it? This is how it currently looks with 4/4...

Harvest 1	Harvest 2	Harvest 3	Harvest 4	Harvest 5
Mealwood		50		75		100					
Bristle Blossom		55.55555556	66.66666667	77.77777778	88.88888889	100
Sleet Wheat		100				
Pincha Pepperplant	38.46153846	69.23076923	100		

Very difficult.

Although I enjoy the challenge of the new agricultural stuff I can't help but think that it is slightly broken. I have yet to harvest any plant (on the final harvest and receive a seed of any kind, even when all criteria are met. I have read through many of the excellent suggestions on this topic over the forums, tried everything, but the result is the same, no seed.

I would really like to see a few changes made over the whole agricultural experience to re-introduce the fun which, for me, has been removed.

1, If you are using the Hydroponic tile then 3 of the 4 criteria being met should allow you to receive your seeds.

2. If only the normal farming tile has been used then all 3 criteria must be met to receive seeds.

3. The temperature range of the Mealwood needs to be increased by 1 either side (other plants are relatively easy to keep in range).

4. Irrigation of the Hydroponic tiles should work in the same way as say the toilets. They fill up, stop demanding water (polluted/clean) until the reservoir has been used and then once more demand until full again.

5. With regards to Fertilizer. With the increased need i feel that the starting amount available within the biome  should be increased slightly to allow for time to enable you to build up your own infrastructure. Though i must admit that i don't pay much attention to the amount available at the start, only the fact that i always seem to be running out real quick :p

Anyway, just a few suggestions, pick them apart as you see fit, off for a fresh install, see if i have picked up a bug that i can't identify :)

42 minutes ago, ThrowingTracks said:

Although I enjoy the challenge of the new agricultural stuff I can't help but think that it is slightly broken. I have yet to harvest any plant (on the final harvest and receive a seed of any kind, even when all criteria are met. I have read through many of the excellent suggestions on this topic over the forums, tried everything, but the result is the same, no seed.

I would really like to see a few changes made over the whole agricultural experience to re-introduce the fun which, for me, has been removed.

1, If you are using the Hydroponic tile then 3 of the 4 criteria being met should allow you to receive your seeds.

2. If only the normal farming tile has been used then all 3 criteria must be met to receive seeds.

3. The temperature range of the Mealwood needs to be increased by 1 either side (other plants are relatively easy to keep in range).

4. Irrigation of the Hydroponic tiles should work in the same way as say the toilets. They fill up, stop demanding water (polluted/clean) until the reservoir has been used and then once more demand until full again.

5. With regards to Fertilizer. With the increased need i feel that the starting amount available within the biome  should be increased slightly to allow for time to enable you to build up your own infrastructure. Though i must admit that i don't pay much attention to the amount available at the start, only the fact that i always seem to be running out real quick :p

Anyway, just a few suggestions, pick them apart as you see fit, off for a fresh install, see if i have picked up a bug that i can't identify :)

You do get seeds for getting over 40, unless you're trying to use Mealwood. It was always meant to be a temporary source of farming until you could support a proper farm. In this update you can actually farm Mealwoods forever, if you care for them properly. It's actually much easier to care for Mealwood than Blossoms now.

Also, there's Compost.

As i mentioned, I have met all criteria for the plants to produce seeds and yet they have not. With regards to fertilizer, it's delivered  5Kg for Mealwood and 10Kg for Blossom and whilst composting does produce fertilizer the amount it produces in no way covers the amount needed to run food production, its also not very efficient  and real early game stuff.

I can hover the mouse over the plants and the pop up will state ideal temperature/pressure and irrigated if i am using a hydroponic...

I have a fresh install now, so will see if that sorts out my problems with seeds

7 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

Would you prefer it to give, let's say 1 seed on each of the last two harvests for Mealwood? With Blossom it specifically says "Only on the last harvest" so for both crops, it is intended and doable. How else do you prevent 3-5 harvest plants from giving 3-5 seeds when the developers only want you to have 2 per 1 seed?

? What have seeds to do with anything? We are talking about food yields. And who cares about mealwood seeds, other than 1 sustainable? There is a ton of them in the biome.

1 hour ago, ThrowingTracks said:

5Kg for Mealwood and 10Kg for Blossom

That's just delivery, the consumption is 2 and 4 kg/cycle respectively.

I keep 16 mealwood in a fully insulated airlocked room. Ceiling lined with ceiling lights and thermal switches to heat air if its too cold, and a gas pump/thermal switch on the left side if the air gets too hot that leads to a thermal regulator and then back to the right side. Always have ~90+ harvest rating by the 3rd harvest. Its alot of setup but definitely sustainable. Had trouble with temperature regulation untill i realized that i should insulate the piping and under the hydroponic farm tiles as well

1 hour ago, Vilda said:

? What have seeds to do with anything? We are talking about food yields. And who cares about mealwood seeds, other than 1 sustainable? There is a ton of them in the biome.

Food yield is exactly the same for Good and Excellent with bbs and mealwood. Good is obtainable by the first harvest if all conditions are ideal Pincha requires excellent but thats obtainable by the first yield for that plant

1 hour ago, Vilda said:

That's just delivery, the consumption is 2 and 4 kg/cycle respectively.

Yup, I understand that, that's just an example of the numbers needed on a normal delivery, Dupes will obviously take less if you don't have the stuff available. It's also an example of Composting being no where near good enough to supply those numbers, i'm not even sure 1 compost pile would deliver enough fertilizer for 1 Mealwood for 1 day.

1 minute ago, Townkill said:

ideal Pincha requires excellent but thats obtainable by the first yield for that plant

No, it's not. You are getting 0.38 per effect so max 1.52 per cycle. So max 38 by first harvest and 68.4 for the second.

2 minutes ago, ThrowingTracks said:

Yup, I understand that, that's just an example of the numbers needed on a normal delivery, Dupes will obviously take less if you don't have the stuff available. It's also an example of Composting being no where near good enough to supply those numbers, i'm not even sure 1 compost pile would deliver enough fertilizer for 1 Mealwood for 1 day.

Don't really wanna calculate the fertilizer right now :) I just ask - why bother wasting fertilizer on mealwood? Seeds are everywhere, and you get the double "yield" just by doubling the plant number. And you should turn all meal lice to liceloaf and then it's only 2,1 plant per duplicant on the lowest yield.

Archived