Poll for hopefully bringing the SW cast to DST someday?

The Polls  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SW cast be added to DST?

9 hours ago, Sudura2017 said:

Absolutely! In Canon they'd be here just as much as Wilson would be. Both were in SW, is Wilson non-canon?

The problem arises over the setting because we don't know if the SW universe is canon and since Wilbur,Woodlegs,Warly,Walnini are tied to Shipwreck that brings to question if they themselves are canon

Just now, Donke60 said:

The problem arises over the setting because we don't know if the SW universe is canon and since Wilbur,Woodlegs,Warly,Walnini are tied to Shipwreck that brings to question if they themselves are canon

that's like me saying "We don't know if the DST universe is canon" - if it's a DLC, it's canon, that's what Klei have showed us.

3 hours ago, Sudura2017 said:

that's like me saying "We don't know if the DST universe is canon" - if it's a DLC, it's canon, that's what Klei have showed us.

SW is not DST DST is RoG which is canon because of Charlie and her Reign and it pretains to the cinamitc that are recently shown

Have you seen a DS canon comic of the SW  trailer that was not the launch trailer that linked it to the DS storyline in anyway.

Because I can tell you I haven't seen in SW characters hanging out with Webber.

On 2017-4-19 at 11:12 PM, Astroknot said:

So I personally really want to see the SW characters in DST, not the entire DLC, that would not work without a lot of changes due to it not being made for a multiplayer environment, just the characters and maybe some SW content. I'm making this because I see potential in them being brought to DST, especially since Warly (The character I want in DST most) would actually be way more useful here with his portable crockpot.

Now I know what you might be thinking, "The characters can't be added! SW isn't canon and isn't part of the lore!". Well said who? Who at Klei explicitly said SW is not part of the lore? NO ONE. Klei just has not given it lore yet, which it might get if the updates to single-player they're planning are updates to SW.

As for another argument you might make, "Just download a mod!". Well sure PC players could just download a mod! But what about the console players? Console players can't get mods! Plus, official Klei support for these characters would be nice so that they can get skins and what not, and who doesn't like new skins?

I do know that Walani would be tough to make perks for without compromising the characters identity in a RoG world, but I believe that Klei could pull it off somehow. As for Woodlegs, he would just not have his boat, on sea, like maybe the boat could be a non-moving structure that can be piloted to shoot coconades (maybe just put the boat on wheels.)? Just an idea. The rest of Woodleg's perks would work just fine (losing sanity on land may have to be changed though), and the same goes for all of Warly & Wilbur's perks (though Warly may need changes to his picky eater perk, and Wilbur's monkey loyalty will have to be given to splumonkeys...)

Anyway, vote and post your thoughts below, I really want these characters in DST, maybe also with some SW content, like maybe coconuts could wash up on shore to the mainland so we can have palm trees. That's all!

I disagree with this, UNLESS they bring in the whole Shipwrecked DLC into the game. 

It's not that Klei has said that they don't fit lorewise, it's more to do with the fact that they don't really fit thematically with DS without Shipwrecked. Think about it, a monkey, a pirate and a surfer...Why the hell would they be hanging out in a forest? It only really makes sense with the whole tropical beach and ocean setting.

13 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I disagree with this, UNLESS they bring in the whole Shipwrecked DLC into the game. 

It's not that Klei has said that they don't fit lorewise, it's more to do with the fact that they don't really fit thematically with DS without Shipwrecked. Think about it, a monkey, a pirate and a surfer...Why the hell would they be hanging out in a forest? It only really makes sense with the whole tropical beach and ocean setting.

I'd love to have the whole DLC in DST, but its quite obvious that it would take a lot of changes to get SW working in a multiplayer environment.

And on the subject of "they don't fit in the setting", if a monkey, a pirate, and a surfer can't hang out in a forest, why can a mime, a librarian, and a spiderchild? Don't Starve is a fictional game, we play it for fun, so who cares?

Basically, they should be added so mains of those characters in the single-player game can play as them with they're friends, regardless of how ridiculous it is to have a pirate running around chopping trees in a forest. That's all.

If no-one else, I just want Warly in DST, he fits in ok with everyone, people like him, and in a game all about hunger why is there no chef character?

2 hours ago, Astroknot said:

I'd love to have the whole DLC in DST, but its quite obvious that it would take a lot of changes to get SW working in a multiplayer environment.

And on the subject of "they don't fit in the setting", if a monkey, a pirate, and a surfer can't hang out in a forest, why can a mime, a librarian, and a spiderchild? Don't Starve is a fictional game, we play it for fun, so who cares?

Basically, they should be added so mains of those characters in the single-player game can play as them with they're friends, regardless of how ridiculous it is to have a pirate running around chopping trees in a forest. That's all.

If no-one else, I just want Warly in DST, he fits in ok with everyone, people like him, and in a game all about hunger why is there no chef character?

Yeah, I call bullcrap on that. Sorry.

Webber fits cause he's literally the same as the spiders that are in the game, so it fits the lore. As for Wickerbottom, all the characters were abducted from civilisation and they all have unique professions that fit with 19th century England. Think Great Expectations or Sweeney Todd, anything that fits with that, then you are good.

"So who cares?" I care. A lot of people care. The developers care. If they didn't , then they would be adding mod characters like Shrek and Sonic The Hedgehog just because people like you think they are "fun".

4 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Yeah, I call bullcrap on that. Sorry.

Webber fits cause he's literally the same as the spiders that are in the game, so it fits the lore. As for Wickerbottom, all the characters were abducted from civilisation and they all have unique professions that fit with 19th century England. Think Great Expectations or Sweeney Todd, anything that fits with that, then you are good.

"So who cares?" I care. A lot of people care. The developers care. If they didn't , then they would be adding mod characters like Shrek and Sonic The Hedgehog just because people like you think they are "fun".

Warly fits cause he's literally a 20th century Chef, which this game is set in...

Wilbur fits because he's literally a monkey. Believe it or not, those don't have professions that change over eras.

Walani fits because she's a Surfer, which has existed since 1769

Woodlegs fits because pirates were a thing in the 20th century

What is your point? SW's lore could be totally different, too. Don't make these stupid assumptions because "REEE SW IS TERRIBLE, WORSE THAN SHREK MOD. PEEL IT LIKE ONION."

Just now, Sudura2017 said:

Warly fits cause he's literally a 20th century Chef, which this game is set in...

The game is not set in the 20th century...He's also from New Caledonian, again a very tropical setting. That's why he fits in Shipwrecked and not in Don't Starve. 

I actually think Wilbur could fit, as long as they change him so he can befriend Spumonkeys. If not, there's no point. But to be honest, I don't really wanna see monkey characters running around. 

Yes, surfing started in 1769....IN HAWAII and places nowhere near Europe.

I´m sorry, but it's just stupid to have a pirate without a boat.

Nobody says Shipwrecked sucked. In fact, there's plenty of things from SW that I'd love to see in DST. I think poison would be a really interesting mechanic and snakes in desert for example, but this...just no. 

6 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

The game is not set in the 20th century...He's also from New Caledonian, again a very tropical setting. That's why he fits in Shipwrecked and not in Don't Starve. 

I actually think Wilbur could fit, as long as they change him so he can befriend Spumonkeys. If not, there's no point. But to be honest, I don't really wanna see monkey characters running around. 

Nobody says Shipwrecked sucked. In fact, there's plenty of things from SW that I'd love to see in DST. I think poison would be a really interesting mechanic and snakes in desert for example, but this...just no. 

DS isn't set in Europe, it's set near America. So that's a good one.

The game is set in the 20th century, it's 1920s.

1900s are the TWENTIETH CENTURY

It's perfectly fine to have a pirate without a boat, they all fit. Your only argument is that Warly is from New Caledonian, when Klei have only ever said Jamaica, and that DS is set in Europe?

1. That's wrong.

2. That's got nothing to do with it.

In fact, a lot of speculation would have you believe DS is set in the Bermuda Triangle right near Jamaica.

But okay, okay.

17 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Uh.. the game IS set in the 20th century, 1901 - 1920s is the games setting. Not all the characters lived in Europe so that's not even a good excuse, also because DS's story mainly takes place in America. The SW characters could fit perfectly fine as their professions do not interfere with anything, with only Woodlegs being a slight stretch. And who said Woodlegs wouldn't have his boat? The characters if they were to be ported would not be direct ports! They'd be changed to work in the new setting.

Anyway, you don't have to be rude to make a point you know, being rude will only cause people to not take you seriously with your opinions.

Also, just so you know, 20th century is 1900s, 19th century is 1800s and so on.

4 minutes ago, Sudura2017 said:

DS isn't set in Europe, it's set near America. So that's a good one.

The game is set in the 20th century, it's 1920s.

1900s are the TWENTIETH CENTURY

It's perfectly fine to have a pirate without a boat, they all fit. Your only argument is that Warly is from New Caledonian, when Klei have only ever said Jamaica, and that DS is set in Europe?

1. That's wrong.

2. That's got nothing to do with it.

In fact, a lot of speculation would have you believe DS is set in the Bermuda Triangle right near Jamaica.

But okay, okay.

Sorry, I got my centuries confused. It's 20th century, you are right. It's Victorian era, that´s what I´m trying to say.

The wiki says he is from New Caledonia. 

Got a message on Steam that it might be worth making a post here about this stuff, so here goes?:

Walani - Surfing existed since 1769, and this is 1910s-1930s (DS time for characters being taken in)

Warly - Warly is Jamaican, not New Caledonian, as confirmed by Klei on a previous Shipwrecked Art Stream, iirc before Woodlegs got released.

Wilbur - Wilbur is a monkey, even DST's caves have Monkeys as well as SW, so he's a totally null case. In fact, William Carter puzzles would show he was originally planned to be from the same Circus as Wes and Wolfgang.

Woodlegs - Woodlegs is a Pirate, these also existed in the 20th century, though likely more scarcely.

DS' location - Don't Starve has a Canadian (confirmed) character, and a bunch of neutral ones (none explicitly speak about where they're from, but Wilson is speculated to be from New England apparently (part of America)) - Maxwell was in America when he entered the DS world, and the fact there is Canadian and Jamaican characters would back up this location.

SW's location - Shipwrecked has triangles with prefabs of Bermuda, a Jamaican character and other sea-based characters. Theoretically it is therefore set in the Bermuda Triangle, fairly close to Jamaica. Don't Starve could be too.

TL;DR: Never trust the Wiki's Trivia. It's full of garbage.

7 minutes ago, Astroknot said:

Uh.. the game IS set in the 20th century, 1901 - 1920s is the games setting. Not all the characters lived in Europe so that's not even a good excuse, also because DS's story mainly takes place in America.

I get it. Jesus, got my dates wrong. It's my second language, give me some slack. My point still stands. When you think Victorian era, do you think surfers and Jamaican cooks? That's something you think of when you think of tropical beaches and oceans. So no, they don't fit perfectly at all.

If you are implying a boat with wheels, then I don't know what to tell you...

2 minutes ago, Sudura2017 said:

Got a message on Steam that it might be worth making a post here about this stuff, so here goes?:

Walani - Surfing existed since 1769, and this is 1910s-1930s (DS time for characters being taken in)

Warly - Warly is Jamaican, not New Caledonian, as confirmed by Klei on a previous Shipwrecked Art Stream, iirc before Woodlegs got released.

Wilbur - Wilbur is a monkey, even DST's caves have Monkeys as well as SW, so he's a totally null case. In fact, William Carter puzzles would show he was originally planned to be from the same Circus as Wes and Wolfgang.

Woodlegs - Woodlegs is a Pirate, these also existed in the 20th century, though likely more scarcely.

DS' location - Don't Starve has a Canadian (confirmed) character, and a bunch of neutral ones (none explicitly speak about where they're from, but Wilson is speculated to be from New England apparently (part of America)) - Maxwell was in America when he entered the DS world, and the fact there is Canadian and Jamaican characters would back up this location.

SW's location - Shipwrecked has triangles with prefabs of Bermuda, a Jamaican character and other sea-based characters. Theoretically it is therefore set in the Bermuda Triangle, fairly close to Jamaica. Don't Starve could be too.

I do like the idea of the entirety of the DS world taking place in the Bermuda Triangle. mostly because it sounds like something Klei would actually do, and it would give SW a lore connection in a way.

Just now, TheKingofSquirrels said:

If you are implying a boat with wheels, then I don't know what to tell you...

Nah, more like the "Sea Legs" in a bottle that can be released on top of a pond which can then be ridden to shoot coconades in the general vicinity while increasing sanity. Just an idea.

(The boat on wheels thing on my original post was a joke, if you read that.)

6 minutes ago, Sudura2017 said:

You just repeated your previous post basically. 

Well Jamaican or not, it doesn't matter. He certainly doesn't fit with the rest of the characters geographically speaking either way. This also goes for Walani.

I wouldn't mind Wildur, as long as he can befriend Spumonkeys. If not, there's no point.

In fact, there's no point to any of these characters. Apart from the fact that they don't fit with the victoria setting, they are completely useless outside of Shipwrecked. 

How about we push new characters that fit the lore?

Just now, Astroknot said:

Nah, more like the "Sea Legs" in a bottle that can be released on top of a pond which can then be ridden to shoot coconades in the general vicinity while increasing sanity. Just an idea.

(The boat on wheels thing on my original post was a joke, if you read that.)

Is this a joke too? Because that sounds awful. 

Just now, TheKingofSquirrels said:

You just repeated your previous post basically. 

Well Jamaican or not, it doesn't matter. He certainly doesn't fit with the rest of the characters geographically speaking either way. This also goes for Walani.

I wouldn't mind Wildur, as long as he can befriend Spumonkeys. If not, there's no point.

In fact, there's no point to any of these characters. Apart from the fact that they don't fit with the victoria setting, they are completely useless outside of Shipwrecked. 

How about we push new characters that fit the lore?

So how does Woodie fit if Warly can't? The Bermuda Triangle would fit all of these and then some, regardless of when they were from. Time passes differently, right? They could have been there for years. Hundreds of years. Who knows?

As for being useless outside of SW, characters can be rebalanced, believe it or not.

I mean just look at Willow 

These fit the lore more than any new character for DST only ever can or will, it's not a Victorian setting, that's England! 

They all fit perfectly, even more so with the Triangle thing

So please, if you aren't going to be constructive can you not just push the narrative of "It's Victorian, but it's American"

Just now, Astroknot said:

Oh yeah? Your idea was to ditch the characters for new ones, so you obviously have nothing better.

I didn't mean to offend you, but having a giant boat floating in a pond is just dumb...Both conceptually and gameplay wise. 

Dude, if it were up to me, I'd let him build a boat in the normal DS ocean. But Klei really doens't like that. You can't even spawn that in anymore.

8 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I didn't mean to offend you, but having a giant boat floating in a pond is just dumb...Both conceptually and gameplay wise. 

Dude, if it were up to me, I'd let him build a boat in the normal DS ocean. But Klei really doens't like that. You can't even spawn that in anymore.

Its ok, I wasn't actually offended I made It sound that way for comedic effect lol. The idea was dumb I admit. I'm still trying to come up with an idea that dosen't require the boat in a pond or the oasis.

While being able to sail the actual ocean would be really cool, it might be a bit of a technical challenge due to the ocean being meant as a border, not an actual ocean. 

6 minutes ago, Sudura2017 said:

So how does Woodie fit if Warly can't? The Bermuda Triangle would fit all of these and then some, regardless of when they were from. Time passes differently, right? They could have been there for years. Hundreds of years. Who knows?

As for being useless outside of SW, characters can be rebalanced, believe it or not.

I mean just look at Willow 

These fit the lore more than any new character for DST only ever can or will, it's not a Victorian setting, that's England! 

They all fit perfectly, even more so with the Triangle thing

So please, if you aren't going to be constructive can you not just push the narrative of "It's Victorian, but it's American"

In Canada there's woodlands and biomes that are similar...

Look, geographically speaking, any character from any region could fit if you want to make it away. You could write anything you want. There were immigrants in that time anyway, so this conversation doesn't matter. 

It's just aesthetically, you have to admit, they scream beaches, and jungles and tropical areas. That's all.

"characters can be rebalanced" HOW? Two of them, their main mechanics revolve around ocean travel. If you change it, it would practically be a different character by that point, so what's the point?

From the clothes, and the style and the hounds...I would have assumed Victoria. But whatever.

Why don't you have it so woodlegs could get bonus treasure form chests he opens and be able to slightly sometimes spawn chests in RoG as of now his hat rarely goes off but still does so its not op.

And to make sanity still an issue for him have it so all sanity draining effects do 25 percent more to him.

1 minute ago, Donke60 said:

Why don't you have it so woodlegs could get bonus treasure form chests he opens and be able to slightly sometimes spawn chests in RoG as of now his hat rarely goes off but still does so its not op.

And to make sanity still an issue for him have it so all sanity draining effects do 25 percent more to him.

Let the hat spawn stuff in the caves and ruins, old ancient loot

5 minutes ago, Astroknot said:

Its ok, I wasn't actually offended I made It sound that way for comedic effect lol. The idea was dumb I admit. I'm still trying to come up with an idea that dosen't require the boat in a pond or the oasis.

While being able to sail the actual ocean would be really cool, it might be a bit of a technical challenge due to the ocean being meant as a border, not an actual ocean. 

I don't know why they can't just add a mist.

I'd be totally cool with adding Woodlegs if he has a boat, literally only for the purposes of transportation. I´m not saying there should be mobs in the ocean. Well, actually whales look pretty cool in DS oceans.

Actually, if it were up to me, I´d be adding mobs from SW into DST. 

Archived