Generic Poll Title  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer better?(It's okay if you have your own idea)

• Access A Boss Battle
    • Their Home
    • The "Telltale Games" Method

To be honest with you, I'm a little shocked by everyone else's thoughts? I always figured that yes, the end of DST adventure mode would conclude the plot and your server, but that one was under no obligation to complete it? (And also of course that you couldn't without all other players being there, or at least the person who started the server, so nobody can rudely end it without your permission.) And I sort of assumed I was of the majority opinion there. I guess I'm just silly. :roll:

Maybe I'm just a big old softie, but I'd be really sad if the ending was "Whoops! You're stuck forever!" after everyone fighting so hard to get home. It just seems like a huge bummer. I could see a happy medium between my and other people's wishes, though? Like, it's implied they leave the island, but we don't exactly know where they end up next. Another island? Another realm? Back home? And if that, what time period? So everyone could have their own interpretation.

4 minutes ago, Nebulaemon said:

Like, it's implied they leave the island, but we don't exactly know where they end up next. Another island? Another realm? Back home? And if that, what time period? So everyone could have their own interpretation.

I like this idea, but how would it explain continuing to play in the world you "beat" the game with? This is the main problem with a traditional ending in Don't Starve, it needs to be open-ended so you can keep playing.

I sure as hell want to fight Charlie but.. won't killing her make the nights "safe"? I mean she's the one who threatens our nights and forces us to stay near the light, killing her would mean "game over" for your current world.. And honestly i would never take on a boss fight if the reward isn't worth it!

Having everyone go back to their homes and meeting again would be a great ending for the story :D 

Just now, Astroknot said:

I like this idea, but how would it explain continuing to play in the world you "beat" the game with?

Well, that was just my idea, you wouldn't be playing in that world anymore, it'd be gone.

Which might be kinda off-putting to some people! But that's why having adventure mode be optional would be a good idea, so people can do it at their leisure instead of being forced into it.

1 minute ago, Nebulaemon said:

Well, that was just my idea, you wouldn't be playing in that world anymore, it'd be gone.

Which might be kinda off-putting to some people! But that's why having adventure mode be optional would be a good idea, so people can do it at their leisure instead of being forced into it.

Great idea.. Now we have "Cooperative" "Competitive" "Social" and "Madness" servers. Madness is pretty much another word for "hey you won't find giants here" or "this is for hardcore players".

But a new tag : Adventure, having you forced to : Access the caves, access the labyrinth, access whatever lies behond and killing Charlie would be great! Literally a server which only purpose is to end the game with 7 friends or strangers :) 

EDIT: yes, i said 7 because my optimal don't Starve experience has at least 8 players running around in the same server. I don't understand why the hell the limit is 6 if your computer/internet can afford to go further

1 minute ago, Nebulaemon said:

Maybe they could do what The Legend of Zelda games do and put you at your last save point? (or potentially the previous day in DST's case.)

1 minute ago, Astroknot said:

Maybe they could do what The Legend of Zelda games do and put you at your last save point? (or potentially the previous day in DST's case.)

So like, if I'm understanding you right: You go through adventure mode once you eventually choose to do so, you beat it and see all the ending stuff, and then you can choose to go back to a point canonically before all that, so you can keep fiddling around on your old save file? Yeah, I think that's probably best, since I'm sure a lotta people are equally as attached to their long-standing DST worlds as they are hyped to see the conclusion of the plot.

7 minutes ago, Onetel21 said:

But a new tag : Adventure, having you forced to : Access the caves, access the labyrinth, access whatever lies behond and killing Charlie would be great! Literally a server which only purpose is to end the game with 7 friends or strangers :)

Wait...

Access the caves, access the labyrinth, access whatever lies behond and killing Charlie would be great!

Waaaaaait a minute...

killing Charlie

Did it not occur to you to help free her, like single-player adventure mode? ;A;

(Jk, I can understand your animosity. I'd personally like to see her survive, even if helping her means hurting her first.)

8 minutes ago, Nebulaemon said:

So like, if I'm understanding you right: You go through adventure mode once you eventually choose to do so, you beat it and see all the ending stuff, and then you can choose to go back to a point canonically before all that, so you can keep fiddling around on your old save file? Yeah, I think that's probably best, since I'm sure a lotta people are equally as attached to their long-standing DST worlds as they are hyped to see the conclusion of the plot.

Would be the best option for Klei if the ending their inevitably creating is that everyone goes home. Which if they were to do this, I'd be perfectly fine with a good ending. Even if it deleted the world, I would still be somewhat ok with it, because I get bored of my worlds after a while so it would be nice to end it with a good ending instead of deleting them myself.

4 minutes ago, Nebulaemon said:

Wait...

Waaaaaait a minute...

Did it not occur to you to help free her, like single-player adventure mode? ;A;

(Jk, I can understand your animosity. I'd personally like to see her survive, even if helping her means hurting her first.)

I could understand Maxwell forgiving her, but the others? Try explaining the Monkey (Wilbur) that Charlie does not deserve death :? i can imagine it throwing manure at her angrily 

1 minute ago, Onetel21 said:

I could understand Maxwell forgiving her, but the others? Try explaining the Monkey (Wilbur) that Charlie does not deserve death :? i can imagine it throwing manure at her angrily 

I imagine everyone being sympathetic, Maxwell has likely explained the whole situation to everyone.

An alternate timeline thing would be nice. It's what I choose to believe the Gateway does.

When it resets the Ruins come back? Why is this? Well, it's because they were never gone. It went back in time, if you will.

So after freeing Charlie and leaving, it will go back in time. You'll all still be there, in a new timeline.

In more simple terms:

Kill Fuelweaver

All go through Portal

Portal canonically resets, bringing back the Ruins (and everyone that was there)

Live in peaceful irony as your new clone while real you escapes.

1 minute ago, Sudura2017 said:

An alternate timeline thing would be nice. It's what I choose to believe the Gateway does.

When it resets the Ruins come back? Why is this? Well, it's because they were never gone. It went back in time, if you will.

So after freeing Charlie and leaving, it will go back in time. You'll all still be there, in a new timeline.

That would be a great lore explanation.

13 minutes ago, Onetel21 said:

"Charlie will give you bananas, you stupid monkey!"

Even if they escape to the real world, what would happen? Webber would still be a freak, Wendy would still be depressed, Willow would still be a pyromaniac, and Wilson would just go back to being lonely.

3 minutes ago, wosg3 said:

Even if they escape to the real world, what would happen? Webber would still be a freak, Wendy would still be depressed, Willow would still be a pyromaniac, and Wilson would just go back to being lonely.

In all honesty, I don't think they will. But even if they do, the whole timeline loop thing works.

Just now, wosg3 said:

Webber would still be a spider sure...actually I have no way of making a positive spin on that. Wendy would likely get over Abigail by the end of the adventure. Willow will still be Willow, but she's not unhappy so who cares? And Wilson would not be lonely anymore, he gained lots of friends (the rest of the cast) throughout his wilderness adventure.

57 minutes ago, Nebulaemon said:

To be honest with you, I'm a little shocked by everyone else's thoughts? I always figured that yes, the end of DST adventure mode would conclude the plot and your server, but that one was under no obligation to complete it? (And also of course that you couldn't without all other players being there, or at least the person who started the server, so nobody can rudely end it without your permission.) And I sort of assumed I was of the majority opinion there. I guess I'm just silly. :roll:

Maybe I'm just a big old softie, but I'd be really sad if the ending was "Whoops! You're stuck forever!" after everyone fighting so hard to get home. It just seems like a huge bummer. I could see a happy medium between my and other people's wishes, though? Like, it's implied they leave the island, but we don't exactly know where they end up next. Another island? Another realm? Back home? And if that, what time period? So everyone could have their own interpretation.

I feel the same way.

7 minutes ago, Silentdarkness1 said:

In my eyes, Wendy wouldn't 'get over' Abigail at the end.

It's more like she's mentally wrecked, and Abigail is her only solace in this cold, crushing, unfair, brutal world she lives in.

I hope she does get over it in the end. Wendy being super depressed and what not is one of the reasons she is my least favorite character, other reason being the semi-useless ghost that gets itself destroyed constantly.

Pile o' balloons > Abigail any day.

@Astroknot I guess this means we can't agree on anything, then. Her depression and melancholic attitude towards literally everything makes her stand out a bit more from other characters. She's my soul animal, so to speak.

It's not just being depressed, it's having turned into a nihilistic person.

Also, Abigail really isn't semi-useless. Remind me again how useful a Pile o Balloons is against a pack of spiders who just crawled out of a Tier 3 Den, and have drastic ideas of what the human anatomy should actually look like.

2 hours ago, ThemInspectors said:

Woodlegs is a pirate, Wilbur is a monkey, Warly is idk, Walani is idk and Winona is not implemented!

Woodlegs loves treasure and gold (Greed). Warly is obsessed with food (Gluttonous). Walani is lazy (Sloth). Wilbur is just a gimmick.

Archived