THE PRISON - (Self Sustainable zero effort base that produces free water)

Introducing...

THE PRISON!

A fully self sustainable, no effort required prison labor base.
Requires nothing, produces clean water for free.
The prisoners completely look after themselves.

There is a large excess of power, even with everything running 24/7.
And a big open "T" shape in the middle, for a warden, or slave master to live
off the backs of the prisoners.
Holds up to 14 dupe prisoners.

Each prison comes with it's own bed, power, food source, storage locker, oxygen generator,
gas and liquid remover, and temperatures are constant.
No need to clean up after vomiting, peeing, or any kind of mess, as this is done automatically.

Also produces free dirt!
(Could be transformed to coal for even more power, although there is already way too much power being generated here)

ThePrison.png

I like your version of the Dupacell. However, I don't see any need to destroy all the free water from the dupes, and space could be optimised quite a lot. Power is also wasted with the floor lamps as they don't help the plants in any way, the overhead lights in the cell... dupes can run in the dark, and as far as I know the small batteries leak power and are less space to storage capacity efficient. I know you put a switch in the cell to cut off power to the pumps and lights I presume but there's no need to waste resources on putting in lights and pumps that aren't needed.

There's an unlimited amount of dupes. However, there's only so much building material.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

I like your version of the Dupacell. However, I don't see any need to destroy all the free water from the dupes, and space could be optimised quite a lot. Power is also wasted with the floor lamps as they don't help the plants in any way, the overhead lights in the cell... dupes can run in the dark, and as far as I know the small batteries leak power and are less space to storage capacity efficient. I know you put a switch in the cell to cut off power to the pumps and lights I presume but there's no need to waste resources on putting in lights and pumps that aren't needed.

There's an unlimited amount of dupes. However, there's only so much building material.

No batteries leak power, it's a damn lie!
Also, there is so much spare power that they just spend most of their day doing nothing at all.
I was even thinking about lighting up the "The Prison" sign with a bunch of extra lighting.
I originally had all the water going to the steam room, but wow is there a lot.
Even with valves at the lowest setting, i still found i had to add switches to turn off the water pumping to the steam room, and even then, still needed a way to destroy the excess water.
The switch is purely for the pumps to the steam room. I didn't want them, but they make SOOO much water that it has to be destroyed.
They are making around 200 x more water than the steam room can handle when running 24/7.
It's literally a waterfall.

The thing is. The less power you waste. The less dupes you need. And the less excess water that needs to be destroyed.

If you just let the water drop into a single water collecting tank using mesh tiles all along the bottom in the morb filled gutter. You can collect CO2 and water centrally. And more effectively destroy it. Btw, I'd use a hydrogen generator to destroy CO2 as it's way more effective and can destroy it about 100 times faster with a single air pump. It even heat up it's surrounding for free which you can use to preheat the water before going into the steam chamber making that much more efficient.

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

The thing is. The less power you waste. The less dupes you need. And the less excess water that needs to be destroyed.

If you just let the water drop into a single water collecting tank using mesh tiles all along the bottom in the morb filled gutter. You can collect CO2 and water centrally. And more effectively destroy it. Btw, I'd use a hydrogen generator to destroy CO2 as it's way more effective and can destroy it about 100 times faster with a single air pump. It even heat up it's surrounding for free which you can use to preheat the water before going into the steam chamber making that much more efficient.

You only need 1 dupe for this.
I already made that in another thread. A single cell.
This was my next project, the prison.
No matter what you do, even with just 1 dupe, water and power are never an issue, so there is no point trying to conserve it. The dupes are literally standing around most of the time, because they have nothing to do, and the batteries are always full (except when they sleep / wake up).
This is about what the prison is producing as an export.
At the moment, it's a hell-of-a-lot of spare power (even when wasting it on looks and other things), dirt,and water (which could be turned into hydrogen and oxygen if needed), as well as surplus food.

3 is more than enough. That's what spawns from one dead dupe.

Remember to save the game, exit to the main menu, and resume the game when the 3rd morb has spawned from one dead dupe as no more will spawn in one "game session".

28 minutes ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Yep, i'm working on an even better version now, specifically just for that :)

You'll probably want some to have outhouses, and others to have compost heaps, so they can produce fertilizer for the "ruling class" to eat only briar blossoms for which you'll need a load of fertilizer. That would also cut down on the amount of excess water they make.

15 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You'll probably want some to have outhouses, and others to have compost heaps, so they can produce fertilizer for the "ruling class" to eat only briar blossoms for which you'll need a load of fertilizer. That would also cut down on the amount of excess water they make.

Unfortunately, that would require massive amounts of dirt. Much more than any steam farm could produce.
And i want to keep it fully sustainable.

17 minutes ago, Quantum1000 said:

oh, but if you have a lot of excess contaminated water, you could use a fertilizer maker, potentially making plenty of fertilizer for a ginormous bristle-blossom farm.

Oh yeah, don't know why I forgot about that.

Takes 1333.333... g/s contaminated water and 120W to make 666.666... g/s fertilizer. You got the power and the contaminated water... yeah, you could make endless bristle blossom farms.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Oh yeah, don't know why I forgot about that.

Takes 1333.333... g/s contaminated water and 120W to make 666.666... g/s fertilizer. You got the power and the contaminated water... yeah, you could make endless bristle blossom farms.

Oh wow, for some reason, this whole time i assumed fertilizer also took dirt to make.
This is a great idea.

You should take this prison concept and use it to actually provide clean resources to a primary colony so that you can maintain a stable, clean, and stress free environment for them.   This was essentially the plan I had for endless stability given the current mechanics.

4 minutes ago, Ecu said:

You should take this prison concept and use it to actually provide clean resources to a primary colony so that you can maintain a stable, clean, and stress free environment for them.   This was essentially the plan I had for endless stability given the current mechanics.

Yep, that's exactly what i'm working on lately.
But Quantum1000 and Saturnus just threw a spanner in the works with the whole fertilizer / blossoms thing. Yeah, thanks guys!
Time to start from scratch!

EDIT: By the way, anyone know what quantity of fertilizer is needed for the blossoms? It just says needs " fertilizer".
And if it's just 1 (1kg) each time, is that per re-planting? Or per harvest?

Yeah, my next build is also going to be a Queen of the Hive build where a few super primadonna dupes (probably just a King and Queen) are catered for by a small army of workers/slaves. I was originally thinking there should be cooks providing liceloafs for the master but bristle blossoms are even better as they require even more care to grow. And naturally, the masters shouldn't have to pick them themselves. They should be picked placed in a fridge built into a wall so that the masters will never come into direct contact with the servants.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah, my next build is also going to be a Queen of the Hive build where a few super primadonna dupes (probably just a King and Queen) are catered for by a small army of workers/slaves. 

You're totally going to make it honeycomb themed, right?

Btw, here's an idea for keeping the temperature stable in the bristle blossom farm as you'll probably need to air con it but don't want to have to turn on or off switches as the mantra is not just sustainability but also maintenance free operation.

A morb pit gives of contaminated O2 at a very stable temperature. So you could use an air pump split the output in two have one run through a valve and then into a thermoregulator and then merging the lines again. That way you can adjust the temperature by adjusting the relationship between the two with the valve. Once you've dialed in the right mix for the right temperature the incoming air temperature can still vary slightly and it'll stay fine.

Naturally, it won't save you from the runaway heat death bug but then it's just a matter of reloading the game a cycle or two back.

EDIT: This trick will actually also make liquefying oxygen maintenance free as you can regulate temperature quite accurately this way. Granted, it'll take quite a bit of power use but you've got plenty of power, especially if you centralize the CO2 removal and other unnecessary power use. I'd also centralize contaminated O2 distribution to the cells, farms and clean O2 from a giant central morb pit.

EDIT2: Another way of fine tuning temperature (from a reasonably temperature stable source) with thermoregulators is to have a valve running a feedback loop. Adjust the amount of feedback going back through the aircon and you can adjust temperature output. Hell, you could probably fine tune it enough to make liquid oxygen with a single thermoregulator that you don't actually need to watch over. If you want more than 50% feedback just put another valve on the output instead of the feedback loop although that would restrict total airflow.

Archived