THE PRISON - (Self Sustainable zero effort base that produces free water)

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Btw, here's an idea for keeping the temperature stable in the bristle blossom farm as you'll probably need to air con it but don't want to have to turn on or off switches as the mantra is not just sustainability but also maintenance free operation.

A morb pit gives of contaminated O2 at a very stable temperature. So you could use an air pump split the output in two have one run through a valve and then into a thermoregulator and then merging the lines again. That way you can adjust the temperature by adjusting the relationship between the two with the valve. Once you've dialed in the right mix for the right temperature the incoming air temperature can still vary slightly and it'll stay fine.

Naturally, it won't save you from the runaway heat death bug but then it's just a matter of reloading the game a cycle or two back.

EDIT: This trick will actually also make liquefying oxygen maintenance free as you can regulate temperature quite accurately this way. Granted, it'll take quite a bit of power use but you've got plenty of power, especially if you centralize the CO2 removal and other unnecessary power use. I'd also centralize contaminated O2 distribution to the cells, farms and clean O2 from a giant central morb pit.

But if the room is completely sealed off with insulated blocks, and never accessed, it should stay the same temp (except when the bug starts). No gas is ever exchanged out of the room, and nothing inside changes the temp.
You shouldn't need to regulate the temperature or pressure, just like in the other plant rooms.

True but you want the "masters" to have air con'ed O2, right? so you can just run it through the bristle blossom farm first to make sure it's always nice and evenly temperature controlled.

And you need a way to make liquefying O2 maintenace free, so the valve regulated feedback loop idea is still valid.

I tried playing around with colony construction similar to this.  However, I noticed my dupes were getting mad that food was not available.  Then I noticed they were averaging over 1700 calories each.  So I tried loading your save file.  It looks like they're eating ~1200 calories each when it starts, which should still be under the limit.  However, I left it running and all the dupes died by cycle 81.

In my test colony I tried restricting calories/day to 1000 and they still die.  It's not clear what their requirements actually are.  At one point someone said vomiting might require eating more, but I thought that was dis-proven?

TLDR: 4 plants is not enough to sustain a dupe

Edit: Calorie consumption might be incorrect, reported bug.  However, something is still going wrong that starves the dupes.

a guy who said he played 600+ cycles also said that those plants eventually die out, and stop producing food. happened to him at 400-500 cycle, he then said that the other plants are the one needed for unlimited food production

9 minutes ago, benkeiaa said:

a guy who said he played 600+ cycles also said that those plants eventually die out, and stop producing food. happened to him at 400-500 cycle, he then said that the other plants are the one needed for unlimited food production

I'm on cycle 1000 (haven't bother to take it further as I'm really just waiting for more content from Klei to play around with) with a similar setup and I can safely say that is not the case. Mealwood stop producing extra seeds after a while but you can get around that by deconstructing the pots, and replant them in new pots. I have well over 200 mealwood seeds.

As I side note, I tried starting up a new game to test my "posh masters and filthy slaves" setup and wouldn't you know it. No bristle blossom seeds at all. Dug up the entire starting biome... nothing. 

I did find a good and easy way to kill off dupes (to get morbs) systematically though. Just enclose the printing pod area so they can't go anywhere and let them starve to death or fill the area up with CO2 for a quicker death from suffication. Then after they have died you just deconstruct the tile the body is on and let it fall into the morb pit below. 

Archived