Lore Question

Jesus Christ Klei. I've beeing wating for lore answers since Don't Starve puzzles first appeared.Every question answered more  questions are created and this is driving me nuts. Dont Starve Together is going to answer all the lore questions and finish the story or I'll have to wait a few more years?

BTW, I love your games Klei.

Personally, I've never really understood the concept of the "Keep 'em guessing forever" school of thought in story-telling.

Sure, don't show your cards in the first hand, but you should at least attempt to resolve your story by the time that it's over, otherwise it just feels incomplete.

13 hours ago, Rosten said:

Personally, I've never really understood the concept of the "Keep 'em guessing forever" school of thought in story-telling.

Sure, don't show your cards in the first hand, but you should at least attempt to resolve your story by the time that it's over, otherwise it just feels incomplete.

Unless you plan to end things entirely, keeping them hidden usually is the way to go.

14 hours ago, Rosten said:

Agreed, but be aware the shelf life of DS and DST is not even halfway through. There's a long way to go and ANR is part of that. You don't live off cliffhangers, but you also lovingly sprinkle half-answers while giving rise to more questions rather than ultimately hand everything over.

This said, I think they want to leave many things open-ended. So far they've been handling the plot very well.

19 hours ago, Rosten said:

If it's handled correctly, then the "keep 'em guessing" method works well. Especially in videogames that have a decently sized community. Personally, I like video games that go this route with their story. Instead of having all the answers presented on a silver platter, it causes you to think and create theories. Then you go and share these ideas with people and refine or debunk them until eventually you're left with a widely accepted theory that answers almost all the questions. This kind of community involvement is beautiful to me. And with most of the lore coming from sources outside of the game itself (and a lot of it being in a puzzle format), I'm pretty sure this was Klei's intention.

Exactly this.  ^

Sometimes you deliberately leave things vague so people can make up their _own_ ideas.  "And they sailed off into the sunset for more adventures!" is a more satisfying ending in some ways than "This is exactly what happened to everybody."  With the just "more adventures"...what adventures those ARE can be up to you...

But Sinister_Fang worded it way better than me.  If some things are left open-ended--not everything, but some--it invites you to think, create theories, share your theories with others, and all this eventually makes community involvement...or massive shipping wars.  (Or both.) 

But in general it's worth it.  :)

...Notorious

Archived