Survive the Shadows - Story

21 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Hmm, I know you are an excellent artist but I'm still probably want to draw something for this. Maybe I'll try to get my livestream working or something, if you're interested.

Hey I welcome fan art. =) I would love to see what you have in mind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Done, yo. Maybe I'll color it in at some point, but IDK for sure. The scene where the werebeaver tried to revive Wilson...

Poor Woodie, can't really do much in that form.

Aww... So sad... (Storm and I will admit it was hard to write that scene in particular.

I love this picture. Really love the facial expressions and Woodie came out nice.

• Like 3

Survive the Shadows Chapter 16.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 16

Chapter 16: The Final Act

The survivors all narrowed their eyes, keeping their weapons drawn as they glared at Maxwell who just kept smiling at them.

Wilson stepped forward towards the throne, the group staying behind him.

“It’s over Maxwell… or should I say, William Carter?”

Maxwell growled at the man.

“I don’t know who you speak of, Wilson. I’m surprised you made it all the way here. Alive at that… Then again…” He looked to Wickerbottom, scowling at her. “There were some uncalculated factors.”

She smirked. “Aww you missed me. How sweet.”

Wilson crossed his arms. “I get it from her side.”

“Ah, so you found out, lovely.” Maxwell scoffed. “Which means you know exactly why I brought you here in the first place… Pity.” Maxwell got up, a shadow flame coming to his hand. “Considering you’re now useless to me and the shadows.”

Wilson raised his staff, swinging it at his legs to keep him where he was. “And you're not the only one using the powers of this place.”

Maxwell just grinned as he broke the ice, throwing flames at Wilson, sending the man flying. Woodie jumped up, catching him.

“Got ya!”

“Ngh…” Wilson growled, looking at Maxwell. “Cheap shot.”

“You’re in MY domain, Wilson.” Maxwell laughed. “My rules.”

Wilson narrowed his eyes. “You and what army? I believe we have the remains of your only family in one of our bags.”

Maxwell scowled.

“It was hard to drown out the riff raff you were all making. Although it was amusing to watch you struggle… but less amusing to watch my precious creations die… But what happens now?” He sneered. “What do you plan to do? Kill me?”

Woodie set Wilson down, the scientist keeping his gaze locked with Maxwell’s.

“I intend to free the man you have trapped here and open the portal back to our world. Where we belong.” He smirked a bit. “Hyde.”

Maxwell growled.

“What… did you call me?”

“Oh, did I strike a nerve? My apologies,... The Great and Powerful Hyde.”

Maxwell got an enraged look as he summoned shadow hands around Wilson, having them lift him up in the air in a chokehold.

“THAT’S MAXWELL TO YOU, YOU IMBECILE!”

“LET HIM GO!” Willow waved her staff at him, sending flames his way.

Maxwell sneered, putting the flames out with his free hand, knocking the whole group over with shadow flames, causing them to fall on one knee, bowing to him.

“You answer to me! I’m the king and you’re nothing but my subjects!”

They struggled, trying to get back to their feet but the magic was holding them in place.

Wendy gave him a pleading look. “Uncle Will… If you're in there please… Stop this… You’re not yourself-”

“SILENCE! WILLIAM CARTER IS DEAD! THERE IS ONLY MAXWELL!”

Wilson struggled, trying to break the hold around him.

C’mon… I need to get out of this…

… Unless…

“Hey! Maxwell! Maybe I could still be of use to you!”

Maxwell looked up at him, rage still in his green eyes that now seemed slitted around the pupils.

“I’m not in the mood for tricks, Scientist.” His grip with the shadow hands tightened around Wilson's throat. “You can’t serve the purpose the shadows and I want!”

“Who’s to say?” Wilson grimaced. “I have the blood of a shadow witch, that has to count for something… Right? What’s say we make a deal? I’ll work for you.”

Maxwell’s look faltered a bit… interest soon coming to his features.

“What do you want in return?”

Wilson mentally kicked himself for what he was about to say.

“Give me some shadow power. I’ll eliminate these fools for you in exchange for it… Then I’m all yours to order around for eternity.”

“Wilson…” Willow gasped. “No…”

“Hm...” Maxwell grinned as he lowered Wilson down near the throne, turning the hands into chains. “Just so you don’t get any ideas.”

Wilson nodded. “Of course.” I already have an idea. I don’t need to get any new ones. He glanced to the others, giving an apologetic look. I’m sorry if you think I’m a traitor now…

“What is he doing?” Webber whispered to Wickerbottom. “I thought he was with us.”

“I don’t know…” Wickerbottom whispered back. “But I can only hope it’s some kind of plan.”

Maxwell snapped his fingers, shadow beings coming around Wilson, bonding to him. Wilson cringed a bit, falling to the ground, gripping his head as he was consumed by them.

“Easy… they’re just trying to help.” Maxwell said, keeping calm.

The shadows soon faded, revealing Wilson to the survivors. Their eyes widened at his appearance. He was in a suit that was similar to Maxwell’s, save black in color. His hair was darker too and more wild looking, almost looking like a flame. His ears pointed as well.

Wilson was slumped over a bit as the last of the shadows faded into him as he looked up… A look in his now slitted eyes that couldn’t be deciphered.

“Release me from these chains at once.”

Maxwell nodded, doing as told.

“Now… keep your end of the bargain, or I will have the shadows turn on you.”

Wilson nodded, turning to the others, holding his hand out as a long sword made of shadow energy formed in his hand.

“Wilson…” Willow whispered, a pleading look in her eyes. “Please…”

He had a cold look in his eyes as he raised the sword at them… before he winked, turning to Maxwell  and slashing at his side.

“YOU MADE A MISTAKE!”

“AUGH!” Maxwell fell to the ground, holding his side, his spell on the survivors dissipating. “WHAT!? But… you shouldn’t be able to have free will, you should be-!”

“You gave me dark knowledge, I stared death right in the face… And I’m not like you…Or any others who came before me. I can’t be easily controlled.” He held the sword close to Maxwell’s face, a glare in his eyes. “It’s over.”

Maxwell growled, trying to summon shadows, but stopped as the sword was brought closer to his face.

“... You kill me, you kill William.”

Wilson laughed, throwing his head back.

“You honestly think I’m that low?” He asked. “Say pal… You don’t know me as well as you think you do.”

Maxwell glared at him. He was silent… not moving… till he reached into his coat pocket, pulling out a book.

“The Codex…” Wickerbottom’s eyes widened.

Wilson didn’t even flinch.

“Papa…?” Wendy swallowed hard. “What’s he gonna do?”

“Maxwell… That book doesn’t scare me. I won’t kill you… But it doesn’t mean I won’t ensure you’ll be unable to run away. William Carter can live without things like an arm or a leg… But you? What would happen?” Wilson questioned. “Hm… A new scientific theory perhaps…” He mused, a crazed look coming to his eyes.

Maxwell, growled, summoning a shadow flame in his hand, not flinching this time at the sword. He opened the book, looking for anything to combat Wilson with… but then found his hand freezing.

“Ack! What the-” His expression changed to one of anger… but it wasn’t directed at Wilson. “Let… Me… GO!!!”

“I’ve had enough… This is my body…”

“SHUT UP!”

Maxwell threw the book at Wilson’s feet, a particular page opened for him to see.

“Wilson!” Maxwell shouted, a pleading look in his eyes. “HELP ME!”

Wilson made his sword vanish, picking the book up, reading the section off quickly. He closed his eyes, focusing… Feeling the energy go through him as he threw one hand out, saying something in a language he didn’t recognize.

Shadow hands came around Maxwell, engulfing his body in their grasp. After a moment, they came apart, revealing two people instead of one. One was Maxwell, the other, a man who resembled him save his hair was loose and his suit was one of a purple color with rounded shoulders rather than pointed ones. Both fell to the ground as they were released, the hands vanishing into the air.

“Augh… What…?” Maxwell got up shakily, looking at the unconscious man beside him. “... What… have you done…!?” He demanded, glaring at Wilson. “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?”

“I gave you what you wanted and what William wanted.” Wilson replied, giving a sneer. “He wanted freedom, you wanted to act your own. You are now separate beings. You don’t have to worry about his guilty conscious ever again. However, your body isn’t exactly like his. I just gave you the pleasure of allowing you not to stay a shadow for the rest of your days.”

“You fool…. You FOOL!”

“Takes one to know one, Maxwell.”

Maxwell growled, getting up, summoning shadow flames in his hands.

“I still have my powers… I can still take away what I gave you!”

“Not quite.” Wilson smirked, holding up the book. “There is only one person here capable of controlling it now… You’re unfit for it…” Wilson’s look darkened. “But neither am I… I have no desire to be this world’s ruler.”

Maxwell sneered at him, trying to hit him with flames, only to be thrown by ones created by Wilson.

“Then who will be the ruler? The law of equivalent exchange can’t be completed if no one takes the throne!” Maxwell growled.

Before Wilson could speak, another gave their answer.

“I will.”

Wickerbottom stepped out of the group, joining Wilson’s side.

“I have no intention of letting my grandson be lost to the shadows… I however, have been in this world long enough to know how to cope with them and how to meet their demands, even if they will step out of line. Darkness will always be an issue, but a proper hand can help keep balance.”

“You…” Maxwell shook his head. “You can’t be serious!”

Wickerbottom gave him a look. “Oh I’ve never been more serious in my entire life. I’ve lived for a long time… This place was always my home… I want to see it do well versus be tormented…”

Wilson handed her the Codex as she gave him a small smile. “Thank you, Grandmother.”

“Anything for you.”

Wickerbottom went over to the throne, taking a seat. Shadows engulfed her, changing her appearance. Her outfit became a long black dress with raven feathers woven into the sleeves, her long silver hair was let down, curling at her shoulders, her glasses now gone.

Wilson gave a bow, and as did the others as she stood.

“All hail the queen.”

Wickerbottom nodded to them all before looking to Maxwell.

“You… Get out.” She ordered.

Maxwell growled, standing his ground.

“I don’t take orders from you.”

Wickerbottom shook her head.

“Very well…” She snapped her fingers as shadows came up, taking the form of knights that stepped towards Maxwell. “Seize him.”

Maxwell batted at them with flames, but they kept regenerating, pushing him to the wall. Maxwell for once had a look of panic as they grabbed him.

“... You know this isn’t over…”

“As I said, darkness will always be a problem. For wherever there is light, there is shadow, it’s just a matter of striking the balance. Something you clearly know nothing about.” Wickerbottom quipped. “We’re on even ends of the playing field now, Maxwell.”

Maxwell knocked the knights away from him, reverting to a shadow, making his way out.

“I will be back! Mark my words!”

“And we’ll be ready for that day.” Wickerbottom stated, looking to the group, a smile on her face. “I can think of a few people I can call… If they wish.”

Everyone looked to each other, nodding as they grinned at Wickerbotom, giving another bow.

“At your service, your highness.”

Wilson gave a bow himself.

“Anything to help.”

Wickerbottom had a warm look in her eyes.

“That’s my grandson.”

Willow came running up to him, throwing her arms around Wilson.

“Next time, tell me when you’re about to double cross someone, okay?”

Wilson chuckled, hugging her close.

“I’ll be sure to M’lady. I promise.”

The twins came running up as Wilson and Willow scooped them up.

“Papa that was amazing!”

“You totally got him good!”

Wilson chuckled, kissing their heads.

“I got lucky…”

“Though… is this look permanent?” Wendy titled her head. “I mean… it’s not bad just… it’s not you.”

“Let me fix that.” Wickerbottom gave a flick of her hands, shadow hands coming around Wilson, changing, his appearance back to his normal attire. “Though not to say the powers or form are gone. Those are there to stay.”

Wilson held out a hand, forming small flames in them.

“This… I can get used to. Definitely.”

Willow hugged him tightly.

“Just don’t go crazy on me.”

Wilson hugged her and the twins close to him.

“I would never dream of it…” Wilson’s gaze softened. “I’m sorry if I scared you… I had to tempt him in the only way I knew how… I’m so sorry…”

“Just don’t ever stop being you… Because that’s the you I want to see.” Willow kept close.

“Don’t worry.” Wickerbottom placed a hand on her shoulder. “He’s strong willed, the shadows will have a hard time trying to corrupt him. And on top of that, he has me to help. I’m the queen now so they listen to me… and by proxy, that makes Wilson the prince.”

“So they have to listen to Papa too.” Wendy hugged Wilson tightly.

Wilson nodded. keeping them close. “... And technically since you two are my daughters now.. That makes you basically princesses.”

The girls both giggled, huddling closer to Wilson.

Wickerbottom chuckled.

“I have a lot to teach you, along with all of you here.” Wickerbottom looked to the rest of the group. “All of you I dub as part of my court… But we shall worry about those matters later.” Her gaze turned to the body Maxwell had left behind… William’s body. “I believe there’s something else that needs our attention.”

Wilson pulled away from the girls, going over to William, kneeling before him. He turned him over, seeing the man was still unconscious… but he was breathing…

“Poor man is exhausted.” Wickerbottom shook her head. “Maxwell must’ve taken what he could when you separated the two.”

“Which can easily be treated.” Wilson replied. “But… I do know there is someone here who I did promise to find a way to change back… I believe I hold that power now don’t I?”

Wickerbottom nodded, handing the Codex Umbra over to him.

“Don’t over work yourself now, Wilson.”

Wilson gave a gentle look.

“What kind of gentleman would I be if I passed out after all this?”

Wilson looked to the shadows of the room, seeing a pair of white eyes looking at him. He held out his hand, creating a dark area.

“It’s okay, Charlie, you can come over here.”

There was a hiss as a form moved into the area, Charlie soon appearing in it.

“Wilson…” She gave a grateful look, tears staining her face. “Thank you…”

Wilson smiled gently, looking through the Codex before giving a flick of his hands, having shadow flames come around Charlie.

“It wouldn’t be fair to save one and not the other… Not when right now you’ll need each other.”

Charlie closed her eyes, her form changed. Disfigured arms became normal human arms, her shadow like body reverting to her original form along with the dress she remembered all too well, her legs finally returning. She landed on her feet, sighing in relief, the shadow flames disappearing into the dark with a hiss. She looked at herself, more tears falling from her eyes.

“I’m… I’m me…”

Wilson let the shadows fade from the area. “And able to be in the light… Welcome back, Charlie.”

Charlie smiled before looking to William, rushing over to him, bringing his upper body into her arms. She frowned a bit, seeing he was unconscious, but she didn’t care. She hugged him close, kissing his head.

“William… Oh thank heavens…”

In his unconscious state he shifted a bit, keeping close to her before settling down again.

“I missed you too…” She laid her head against his. “The nightmare’s over…”

The twins hurried over, bringing their arms around both Charlie and William.

“Auntie Charlie… Uncle William..”

Charlie kissed both their heads, smiling softly. “Oh my dear nieces… It’s so good to see you again safe and sound.”

“We missed you too..” Wendy kissed her cheek as Abigail offered her the rose back.

“Remember this?”

Charlie smiled, taking it back.

“I do… and I’m glad you kept it. It let me know where you were so I could do all I could to keep you both safe…” She put the rose back in her hair. “But now… my work is done… I just want to take care of William now.”

“We’ll help too.”

The twins kept close, sighing happily.

Wilson kept his distance, smiling gently. Willow joined his side, holding one of his hands.

“So… Prince, I’m guessing our work has only just begun?”

He chuckled.

“Indeed it has… But no titles please…”

“I prefer Wilson anyway.” Willow nuzzled him. “And sometimes Wildork.”

Wilson nuzzled her back, sighing happily.

“And you, my dear firestarter… I’m so glad this is finally over…” He took a glance back to the others. “Well… for the most part…”

“Wilson Percival Higgsbury do NOT use anymore power today.”

“Y-Yes Grandmother!”

Wilson heard a laugh, looking to the side to see Jack was standing by, a big grin on his face.

“As she said Wilson, you have a lot to learn!”

He rolled his eyes, giving a smirk.

“I think I can handle learning more. There’s plenty of room in here.”

“Good.”

Wickerbottom looked to everyone.

“Come, let us celebrate at least for this night. For the reign of Maxwell has ended.”

Edited by Aileen-Rose
  • Like 6

Survive the Shadows Chapter 17.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Peace of Mind

It didn’t take long for the throne room to be changed. It wasn’t a huge difference from what it was before but it had a more welcoming look now. The clockwork monsters that were left were destroyed, the other monsters either being set loose or kept in the area as means of protection.

But that wasn’t really everyone’s concern right now. Right now… all that mattered to them was the food on the long table before them.

“Ah… THIS, was a good idea.” Wigfrid grinned munching on some meat. “I didn’t realize how hungry I was till Her Highness finished redecorating the place.”

“High levels of stress can induce hunger after it has passed.” Wickerbottom chuckled, sitting back, just watching the others eat. “And with what just happened I figured you would all be famished.”

“Oh yes.” Willow sighed happily, eating some meatballs. “So, now I figured out where Wilson learned his recipe from.” She smirked, elbowing the scientist beside her.

Wilson grinned sheepishly.

“Yeah I learned a lot from Grandmother and Mother. Cooking was something they were bent on me knowing how to do no matter what.”

“No son of mine is not growing up starving, Cecelia would say.” Wickerbottom smirked. “I had to agree with your mother on that.”

“Yeah… Oh Mother, I need to remember to get in contact with her after we return home.”

“One thing at a time, Wilson.”

Wilson nodded smiling. “Right… I’m just glad we finally have a moment to relax.” He looked to where Webber and the girls were, chuckling a bit. “Though seems not all of us are alert.”

While they had been eating, they now all wore looks of exhaustion, all leaning against each other, eyes drooping a bit.

“Not…” Webber opened his mouth wide, a yawn mixed with a hiss escaping it. “Tired… just… resting my many eyes…”

“Ghosts don’t get tired…” Abigail said, almost whispered. “We just… rest our eyes too…”

Wendy laid her head on Webber’s shoulder, nuzzling into it a little. “I’m just… gonna borrow your fluffiness for a second… Just a second…”

Wilson shook his head.

“Same excuses, different day.”

Wickerbottom nodded, going over to them, taking Webber into her arms, Wilson and Willow picking up the girls.

“I think we can revive Abigail tomorrow.” Wickerbottom reasoned. “We’ve already done so much today.”

“I can agree.” Wilson looked down at the girls, smiling a little as he and Willow walked with Wickerbottom to a different area of the throne room. “Besides, better she’s rested up so she can enjoy it instead of going straight to bed.”

“Exactly… I believe there are a lot of things to do but, as I said, one thing at a time.” Wickerbottom gave a flick of her hand, creating two small beds.

“Like…” Webber yawned. “Making me normal…?”

“All in due time, my little one.”

“Right…” Webber closed his eyes.

She smiled softly, kissing the top of his head before tucking him into one of the beds. “Sleep well my little spider warrior.”

Webber smiled, relaxing as he drifted off. Wickerbottom looked over to Wilson and Willow, seeing the two tucking the girls into bed together.

“Sweet dreams, my little girls.” Wilson whispered, kissing their heads. “Dream of home.”

Abigail and Wendy smiled, huddling close to one another, Wendy resting her head under her sister’s, soon both fast asleep.

“All is well.” Willow whispered, smiling warmly.

Wilson smiled, bringing his arm around her.

“Indeed it is…”

She brought an arm around him, sighing in content.

“You know… You make a pretty good father.”

“I try to be… It’s what their father would’ve wanted…”

“And I think he’d be proud of you.” Willow smiled before her look turned a bit sneaky. “Now… I believe I saw a piece of pie you hadn’t even touched… Bet I can beat you back to the banquet hall for it.”

Wilson got his own sneaky look before scooping her up.

“Mmm no. You’re coming with me whether you like it or not!” He laughed, carrying her off bridal style, running back to the banquet.

Willow laughed, holding onto him. “Wildork!”

“Yes, M’lady?”

She smirked.

“You’re still not getting that pie.”

“We’ll see.”

Wickerbottom shook her head, following them back to the table. The others were still celebrating, talking amongst themselves.

They earned this after all they’ve been through… Still plenty of work to be done but least for this night let them have peace.

“Ha!” Willow grabbed a piece of pie, holding it in the air. “Mine!”

“Oh come on! Who betrayed that devil king!?”

“Hmm… Not gonna fall for it!”

She chuckled. “Wilson, just let her have it! There’ll be plenty more.”

Wilson laughed as he looked to Willow. “Well, it would be a crime to deprive a lady of her sweets.”

Willow smiled.

“You learn quick. There’s hope for you yet, Wilson.”

“Hey!”

Willow giggled, giving him a quick nuzzle.

“I’m kidding.”

Wilson blushed a bit before returning it. “Heh… You flatter me.”

Wigfrid smirked.

“Cute.”

“Tiny Man and Firestarter make a good match.” Wolfgang added.

“P-Pardon!?”

“Oh come on!” Willow turned bright red. “H-He and I wouldn’t…”

“N-Never!”

Wes just smiled, putting his arm around Wigfrid.

“You never know.” Wigfrid snickered.

Wilson just turned bright red, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I… Uh… I’m gonna go check on the magician.” Wilson stammered before hurrying off.

“And there he goes.”

Willow shook her head, going back to her food. “So… What happens from here?”

“Well… more work when you’re all ready to continue.” Wickerbottom answered, sitting down. “Maxwell made quite the mess of the land and there are still other survivors that need help. Right now, however, I am just concerned about getting you all better before doing more tasks. On top of that, establishing a sanctuary for survivors.”

“That would be fantastic.” Wigfrid looked to her comrades. “Originally, we did think about just going back to the circus… But after all this? I… I don’t think I can go back to just pretending to be a hero… You know?”

“I understand. I’ll be working on finding a place tonight. Hopefully I’ll be able to find something that will work.”

“Just not Wilson’s old area of the forest.” Willow scrunched her nose up. “You know he’s like on the very edge of a cliff, right?”

“Oh yes. I just about had a heart attack when I found out. But that aside, I promise I’ll find something ideal. It might not even be a place back on Earth since I still need to see if I get the portal properly functioning again… But for now, I’m sure none of you are up for traveling right now.”

They all shook their heads quickly… Except for WX-78.

“I DO NOT REQUIRE REST. THE LIGHTNING FROM THE FINAL CLOCKWORK BISHOP WAS PLENTY OF ENERGY FOR ME.”

“Oh can it ya bucket of gears!” Wigfrid rolled her eyes. “Please tell me you’re gonna fix THAT too.”

“Eventually, just not right now. The shadows need their rest too.” Wickerbottom looked to the darker areas. “Even they get tired.”

There was some movement along the walls but slower than the ones they had seen before.

“It feels so… calm... I almost can’t believe it.”

“The shadows are not inherently bad creatures, they just want to exist, just like how all of you exist. Things… just got out of hand with Maxwell letting them do whatever they wanted so they could eat, something I intend to correct.”

Willow nodded, sighing. “Just glad our troubles with him are over for right now.”

“You and me both.” Wigfrid agreed as Wes gave a thumbs up.

“Agreed…” Wickerbottom looked to where Wilson had run off to.

I’m sure Charlie and William could say the same.

oooooo

Wilson found Charlie by William’s side, the man resting on a bed. She was sitting in a chair, bent over him, her head resting over his heart, holding one of his hands. William was still fast asleep, a calm expression on his face, his breathing steady.

“I’m guessing he still hasn’t stirred?” Wilson asked, pulling up a chair beside Charlie.

Charlie looked up, shaking her head, some worry in her eyes. “Not at all… The poor man’s utterly exhausted… I just hope he’s gonna be okay…” She brushed some of his hair out of his face. “He’s been through enough..”

Wilson frowned, bringing his fingers to William’s neck, closing his eyes as he counted the beats he felt.

“... His pulse is steady as is his breathing. He’s just trying to get his energy back. I can’t really tell what other damage Maxwell might’ve done till he’s awake. The only thing I know is that he has a nice wound in the side.” Wilson cringed a bit. “I hope he can forgive me for that, it wasn’t aimed at him.”

“He will. William isn’t the grudge holding sort.” Charlie shook her head. “If anything… I think he’d just be glad he wasn’t the one feeling it when it happened… Maxwell got the pleasure of that.”

“And boy did he deserve it after what he put me and my friends through and especially after what he put you and William through.”

“I can agree…” Charlie looked down at William. “I didn’t like what he did to him… Even before he took over completely… Goodness, I was so worried… I thought I did something at first… You know, couple deciding to get…. get married then something comes up…”

Wilson’s eyes got wide.

“You two were…!?”

Charlie nodded, some nostalgia in her eyes. “Yes… It would’ve been two months to the date of the final act… Of that horrible night…”

“You poor things… I had no idea. I had heard from your friends that you were courting but… goodness… and Maxwell got between that whenever he took over.”

“And it frightened me at times… It really did…”

“I admit, I’m gonna be asking William a lot of questions once he wakes up. I’m curious about his mental state, mainly in just knowing how to get him back to proper health.”

Charlie smiled, a sad look coming to her eyes.

“You know… Jack said something like that before that night. You remind me a lot of him.”

“I don’t know if I would compare myself to him.” Wilson smiled a bit. “I met him while I was dead… He’s a very dedicated man… I owe him for not letting me die.”

“He’s a wonderful man. He helped keep me sane when we first got here… Even after all that had happened he hadn’t been corrupted.”

“I admit, I still have so many questions… but… as Grandmother said, one thing at a time. Figuring out where to go from here, what changes to make to the land… the list is long…”

“Of course. But I know you can figure it out. You saved us after all and we owe you so much…”

“Please, just worry about yourselves. All I ask is you two get better.”

Charlie smiled giving a nod. “Of course.”

Wilson smiled back.

“Good…” He looked to William, holding his free hand in his, giving it a squeeze. “I can’t wait to meet you properly, just stay strong.”

William was still… But after a moment, he squeezed back weakly.

Wilson gave a gentle look, letting go.

“I’ll let you two rest… Well, if you’ve been resting that is.” He gave Charlie a concerned look. “You look exhausted.”

“I am… But I’d feel awful if he woke up and I wasn’t there for him.” Charlie shook her head smiling a bit, exhaustion in her voice. “I just wanna be with him… I haven’t seen his true face in years.”

Wilson placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I think he won’t be offended if you rest for just a bit. I get the feeling he won’t be waking up for a while and I believe he would love to see you at your best.”

“Right…” Charlie let out a small yawn. “Sleep… I don’t think I’ve done that since I got here… Not properly, anyway.”

“You’ve earned it then.” Wilson smiled. “Rest for at least an hour. You can stay by William’s side regardless and if he starts moving you’ll know.”

She smiled giving a nod, before making herself comfortable. “Goodnight then… and thank you Wilson, for everything…”

“You’re welcome.” Wilson gave a wave before leaving the area.

He came upon the banquet area but decided to step away for a moment from all the noise, wanting a moment of silence to himself. He sat down in the middle of two torches, running a hand through his hair. He looked outward, holding one of his hands in front of him, summoning small shadow flames.

I never thought I’d possess such a power…. Much less a power gifted to me by the enemy of all things…

He moved his hand around as the fire followed it, making small circles in the air.

“And this power is mine…”

“Wilson?”

He jumped a bit, looking behind him, seeing Willow.

“Oh, Willow, didn’t hear you coming… Is something wrong?”

“No, no…” She frowned, sitting beside him, noting the flames in his hand. “Just being sure you were okay. Saw you coming to the table then went off to be by yourself.”

Wilson closed his fist, making the flames disappear. “Just… Thinking over things… Yesterday I basically had been reborn… And now look at me… And you all still trust me even after the stunt I pulled…”

“Wilson…” Willow brought an arm around him. “The fact you still stayed the same after was enough to tell me I could still trust you. I did get a little frightened but the moment you winked at us that all faded.”

“I admit… For a moment... I felt like my mind was in a fog… The shadows felt like they were pulsing through my every vein… But when I looked at you… At Grandmother, the girls… Everyone. It all cleared… I still knew what I had to do.” Wilson smiled a bit, looking to her. “Sounds insane… Doesn’t it?”

“No…” Willow shook her head. “You had something to remind you what you were fighting for.” She huddled close to him, holding one of his hands. “Just like how I had you to keep me from completely losing it.”

Wilson’s eyes widened a bit before his gaze softened, resting his head against hers.

“Willow, you and the girls… You mean everything to me… I never want to lose you… Or…” He bit his lip. “See you so devastated again…”

Willow nuzzled him a little, keeping close.

“And you mean everything to us, Wilson. That’s why you better know this and never forget this. You don’t have to face any of this alone.”

Wilson gave her a grateful look, stroking her hair… Brushing a bit out of her face. “That means a lot… You… don’t think it’s scary? My other form?”

Willow shook her head.

“Was for a moment, but after you started acting like yourself again, I just saw you… and I admit… I really liked the hair. It looked like fire.”

Wilson chuckled before getting an idea, closing his eyes. Part of his form changed, his hair taking on the flame like appearance once more.

“Like this?”

Willow looked up, a gleeful look coming to her eyes.

“Eeee…” She squealed quietly, running her hand through it. “Oh my gosh.”

Wilson smiled, closing his eyes, leaning into her hand. “Heh… That feels nice…”

Willow giggled, continuing to do it.

“Anything to help you relax.”

He sighed happily, leaning against her a bit.

“You’re doing a fine job, M’lady…”

Willow smiled, resting her head against his.

“Good…” she closed her eyes. “We got a lot ahead of us.”

Wilson closed his as well.

“We do… But if we survived this… The rest will fall into place. I assure it.”

“Right…” Willow relaxed. “But for now… I’m okay with resting for the day.”

Wilson nodded, his hair turning back to normal as he kept Willow close.

She opened one eye, smiling a bit before closing it.

“And as much as I love the fire hair… I still like you as you.”

Wilson blushed a bit, smiling.

“Good, cause this is the scientist you’re stuck with.”

“Good, cause I wouldn’t trust anyone else with my mind.”

Wilson chuckled, feeling himself drift, Willow feeling the same…

No fear anywhere in their minds.

For once… it was just peace.

• Like 4

Survive the Shadows Chapter 18.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 18

Chapter 18: A Brighter Future

“Whoa…” Abigail felt dizzy as she landed on her feet, her cloak now gone. She held her head, Wilson helping her regain balance. “I forgot what it was like to be alive… It’s… weird…”

“Easy now…” Wilson kept a hold of her shoulders, keeping her steady. “You’ve been a spirit for a long time… It’s to be expected you’d feel a bit off. But besides the head rush… How do you feel?”

“Better…”Abigail shook her head, looking to Wendy. “Sis…”

Wendy had a look of joy on her face, a bit misty eyed. “Abi...” She rushed over, throwing her arms around her. “You’re okay! You're alive again!”

Abigail hugged her tightly, keeping her close.

“Oh Wend…”

Wendy nuzzled her, sighing in relief. “You’re warm… Really warm again…”

Abigail smiled, nuzzling her back.

Wilson kept off to the side, smiling gently at the moment.

They’ve waited forever for this.

“Hey, Abi… I think we need to do something.” Wendy got a mischievous look in her eyes as both twins slowly looked to Wilson.

“I think I got enough energy for that.” Abigail agreed and before Wilson knew it both twins lunged for him, hugging him as he fell back.

“OOF!”

“PAPA!” They laughed, cuddling close to him.

Wilson laughed, hugging them close.

“Oh my girls!”

The girls giggled, both kissing his cheeks.

“We love you!”

“So much!”

“I love you too my dears.” He kissed their heads, sighing happily. “My little girls…”

“Hey! Wilson!” Wigfrid came running over. “Wickerbottom got the contraption that’s going to get us out of here finished. She said she found us a nice place to call home.”

“We’ll be right there.” Wilson smiled. “Just making sure these two are alright.”

“Wigfrid, look!” Abigail jumped up. “I’m me again!”

Wigfrid grinned widely, scooping the girl up into her arms.

“Oh me lassy. All nice and strong again.”

Abigail giggled, looping an arm over her shoulder. “Yup! Ready to kick some real tail and get in on all the fun! … And eat. I got a whole list of stuff I want Papa to make for me.”

“Well, we’ll make sure you get that. But for now, I think it’s high time we see our new home.”

“Indeed.” Wilson got up, holding Wendy in his arms. “You lead.”

“Righ’ this way.”

Wigfrid lead them to another part of the throne room. There, they saw everyone gathered around a stone arch that had roses and thorns wrapped around it, shadows flames burning at the top of the columns.

Wilson whistled quietly, marveling at the sight as the girls looked up impressed.

“That’s amazing…”

“It’s so pretty Papa…”

“Ready?” Wickerbottom asked as she saw them approach.

“Yes.”

“Alright, everyone here?”

“Yes.” Wolfgang stepped forward, showing William was in his arms. “Magician is still resting however.”

“That’s fine, you can get him settled properly once you’re all through.” Wickerbottom gestured to the portal. “Just walk through here and it will take you to an area where you can call home. I’ve even made some arrangements and you’re free to add to as you wish. Namely Wilson.”

“Yes.” He smirked a bit. “You know me all too well.”

Willow sighed happily. “No more merms, no more hound attacks every three days, no more insanity..”

“Are you all ready?”

Everyone nodded.

Wickerbottom stepped aside, gesturing to the portal.

“Then step on through.”

Wilson was the first to step forward, everyone else following after him. There was a flash as they went through the arch. It was all white for a moment before scenery appeared before them. It was a beautiful area. It was surrounded by mountains that were far off in the distance. Forests dotted the place along with open green fields, and one large lake.

They all looked around,  wandering to see it closer.

“Perfect… It’s perfect…”

Willow ran by Wilson almost knocking him over.

“CALL THE AREA BY THE LAKE!!!”

“Oof! WILLOW, YOU BETTER NOT GO ON A BURNING SPREE!”

“I won’t!”

Wolfgang walked with Charlie, looking at the area with her.

“Oh I wish William could see this…” Charlie sighed wistfully. “He’d love this.”

“You can show him all this when he wakes up.” Wolfgang gave a gentle look. “Magician just needs his rest.”

“And when he wakes up, we’re givin’ him the hug o’ his life.” Wigfrid grinned. “Righ’ Wes?”

Wes grinned nodding quickly pantomiming hugging someone as tightly as he could.

Charlie giggled a bit. “Right.”

“Just you wait, Willy boy.” Wolfgang chuckled. “You’ve got a warm welcome waiting for ya.”

“And we’ll all be here waiting.”

Wilson chuckled, looking out to the area.

“I don’t think this anywhere on Earth…”

“It isn’t.” Wickerbottom said she walked up beside him. “It’s a dimension that’s flipside to the Shadow World. It mirrors all the islands save it’s all merged into one big landmass. The wildlife here is calmer and the day and night cycles are like that of Earth. Best part, you won’t have to worry about Shadow Creatures or any kind of Grue coming for you in the dark or night. It’s a sanctuary through and through.”

“It’s beautiful… Thank you for this… I promise we’ll take care of it.” Wilson smiled sighing happily.

“I know you will. This land is yours to rule over so, you do have a bit of your title to live up to, Wilson.”

The scientist laughed a bit.

“I promise to be a fair ruler. Besides… I did craft that entire base… How hard can making a town be?”

“I have no doubts.” Wickerbottom chuckled. “I need to get back to the Shadow World. I’ll check in with your later. I’ve left some tents in one of the clearings near the lake so you’ll have somewhere to rest.”

Wilson smiled. “Thank you. It’s going to be an interesting next few weeks… I hope the others are ready for building.” He smirked, rubbing his hands together. “I’m already getting ideas.”

“Now, don’t start over doing it.”

“Right, right.”

Wickerbottom nodded, walking through the portal, giving a wave before disappearing.

Willow came running up to Wilson, an excited look in her eyes.

“Wilson, you really need to see the lake, it’s gorgeous!”

Wilson smiled going with her. “I’d love to discover every bit of this place.”

Willow took his hand.

“And I’ll happily map it all out with you.”

Wilson squeezed her hand as they approached the lake.

“We survived the shadows… All that’s left to do now is help others do the same…”

“Something I think we can all work on together.” Charlie smiled, coming up behind them with everyone else. “Just going to take a bit of work is all.”

“Just the nature of things.”

“But we can do it!” Wendy giggled as Wes carried her on his shoulders.

“Yeah!”

Wilson grinned.

“It’s what we do best.”

And will continue to do so, from here on and forever.

The End

For Now.png

• Like 4