Klei, have you abandoned Don't Starve?

I know this post is going to get a lot criticism, but when multiplayer was announced, I fully supported it and I was so excited. However, I had no idea that it meant the end of singleplayer (yes, I'm aware of Shipwrecked, it doesn't count). I've been waiting patiently thinking that they'll update it eventually and bring Beefalo Riding and Larvae and clothes and the cave version of Chester and cave customization into DS, I mean why wouldn't they? And yet, it's been a year.

Honestly, I feel betrayed, I wish I hadn't supported multiplayer, I wish the game had stayed singleplayer, can you imagine what Don't Starve would have been if they had just focused on that? I'm not angry, I'm just sad of what could have been. 

Edit:

I've also just realized, I hate DST. What I mean by this is not "I hate multiplayer", I mean I hate the fact that DS and DST are too different things. Making a server and having a couple of friends play together, yeah that's awesome, but you didn't need to make a whole new game for that! You don't see Minecraft having "Minecraft Together" as another game and only having new updates like horses and rabbits exclusive for that version. You are just splitting up one great game in half and that's awful. 

9 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I've been waiting patiently thinking that they'll update it eventually and bring Beefalo Riding and Larvae and clothes and the cave version of Chester into DS, I mean why wouldn't they? And yet, it's been a year.

Beefalo Riding: I see no reason this shouldn't be ported

Larvae: IMO, no. The larvae should only assist the Dragonfly's raid fight.

Clothes: Up for debate.

Hutch: This was a workaround for not being able to bring Chester into the caves. So imo again, no.

Klei did not stop updating DS so kindly throw away that mindset. After Klei finishes TtA, they'll probably look at porting some DST things over to DS, alright? From what I read in yesterday's stream, they're working on some bug fixes for SW if that puts your mind at ease. 

2 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Beefalo Riding: I see no reason this shouldn't be ported

Larvae: IMO, no. The larvae should only assist the Dragonfly's raid fight.

Clothes: Up for debate.

Hutch: This was a workaround for not being able to bring Chester into the caves. So imo again, no.

Klei did not stop updating DS so kindly throw away that mindset. After Klei finishes TtA, they'll probably look at porting some DST things over to DS, alright? From what I read in yesterday's stream, they're working on some bug fixes for SW if that puts your mind at ease. 

Sorry, not larvae, I meant the egg that you get when the Dragon Fly dies and hatches into a follower. Beefalo Riding just looks like so much fun though, and if your argument is that it makes travelling too easy? Then why is it in DST? What makes DST suited for Beefalo riding and  DS not. In fact, I'd argue that DS is more suited for it. Who actually manages to get a saddle when playing on multiplayer? Nobody, it's way too much hassle for the kind of multiplayer game sessions. I've never ever seen a Beefalo being ridden on a server, ever.  

Yes, they are fixing SW, but not DS. I just want confirmation that they'll go back and bring the updates to the old game, and then I'll shut up. 

7 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Beefalo Riding just looks like so much fun though, and if your argument is that it makes travelling too easy? Then why is it in DST? What makes DST suited for Beefalo riding and  DS not.

Pretty sure Chris was saying there was no reason Beefalo Riding couldn't be added to single player.

But from what I've gathered it's in desperate need of some adjustments because actually taming a beefalo takes forever, is pretty expensive and isn't worth the cost in the end. If someone wants to go into the specifics they can but I'd prefer them to sort out the Beefalo taming system so it's actually viable.

5 minutes ago, Subscriber01236 said:

Pretty sure Chris was saying there was no reason this couldn't be added to single player.

But from what I've gathered it's in desperate need of some adjustments because actually taming a beefalo takes forever, is pretty expensive and isn't worth the cost in the end. 

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread.

Exactly, but it would be worth it if you had your own singleplayer world where you knew it would last and not regen when the host got bored. 

3 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Weren't they done updating Don't Starve before Together was even made?

Not that I'm aware of.

7 minutes ago, Subscriber01236 said:

Pretty sure Chris was saying there was no reason Beefalo Riding couldn't be added to single player.

But from what I've gathered it's in desperate need of some adjustments because actually taming a beefalo takes forever, is pretty expensive and isn't worth the cost in the end. If someone wants to go into the specifics they can but I'd prefer them to sort out the Beefalo taming system so it's actually viable.

600+ twigs. 

4 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Weren't they done updating Don't Starve before Together was even made?

Nope.  DS and DST continuously receive updates.

2 minutes ago, Axehilt said:

What's lost by playing DST singleplayer?  Are you unable to save so you can resume later?  I suppose you can't play SW and the SW characters, so that's one thing.   Is there anything else?

Mobs have more health, caves are different, ghosts, Hutch, no Adventure Mode (yet), players do slightly less damage, armor and weapon sprites slightly more blurry.

Bring things over isn't what would lead me to believe they 'abandoned' Singleplayer. It's more the fact how there hasn't been a bug fix for single player in awhile compared to DST. Even then, I understand why that is (DST may be a higher priority FOR NOW, since it affects more people at once), but could understand why it may feel like it's been abandoned.

I haven't really wanted to play much single player due to some bugs (that have been reported), so end up on DST more often until its addressed.

4 minutes ago, Axehilt said:

What's lost by playing DST singleplayer?  Are you unable to save so you can resume later?  I suppose you can't play SW and the SW characters, so that's one thing.   Is there anything else?

Personally, I have two main issues:

A) The permadeath element and difficulty of the game is completely lost in DST. With the Rollback feature, any mistake you make can be easily fixed by going a day back. One of the reason I love (possibly now loved) this game, is the tension and fear of possibly loosing everything you spent hours working on. That's  gone with DST and it really makes everything feel pointless. You will never have something like this in DST (not my video):

B) Small things that are just built for multiplayer, like the fact that there's like 10 Moosegoose nests all over the map or the lack of set singleplayer set pieces

10 minutes ago, TalZahn said:

Bring things over isn't what would lead me to believe they 'abandoned' Singleplayer. It's more the fact how there hasn't been a bug fix for single player in awhile compared to DST.

This also bothers me to no end. 

16 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

With the Rollback feature, any mistake you make can be easily fixed by going a day back

Rollback isn't meant to be used for undoing mistakes that you made while playing alone. I'm pretty sure it's mainly supposed to be used for situations like random people joining and burning stuff down. Rollback is not enabled by default so don't complain about it because it's up to you whether you use it or not when playing DST alone.

EDIT: Ooops okay it is enabled by default but that doesn't change anything you're not forced to use it.

2 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Rollback isn't meant to be used for undoing mistakes that you made while playing alone. I'm pretty sure it's mainly supposed to be used for situations like random people joining and burning stuff down. Rollback is not enabled by default so don't complain about it because it's up to you whether you use it or not when playing DST alone.

I was not aware of that, last time I played it was on default, I didn't even know you could deactivate it.

As for your other argument, I disagree. The old Don't Starve didn't have those mechanics for a reason. 

3 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I was not aware of that, last time I played it was on default, I didn't even know you could deactivate it.

As for your other argument, I disagree. The old Don't Starve didn't have those mechanics for a reason. 

It wasn't needed since randoms couldn't join and burn stuff. Since it was singleplayer.

6 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Because before a random person couldn't join your world, then proceed to torch and hammer everything you've built up.

Though if you really wanted to, you could recreate the rollback in DS by backing up the save file every single day that goes on, doesn't mean you have to use them.

3 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Wait oops I checked it is enabled by default. Still, it's your choice whether you use it when playing alone. I was recently playing with a friend and she accidentally burned down half our base but I didn't reset, we rebuilt it because simply resetting whenever something bad happens ruins the game.

33 minutes ago, Subscriber01236 said:

But from what I've gathered it's in desperate need of some adjustments because actually taming a beefalo takes forever, is pretty expensive and isn't worth the cost in the end.

As I laid out in another topic:

They are absolutely worth the effort. The only major problem with them at the moment in my opinion is that since they can't be taken between shards, exploring a separate shard (generally caves) is difficult and unfun to do without risking losing those investments. Pudgy's kind of useless but I'm pretty sure it's a booby prize.

9 minutes ago, Subscriber01236 said:

Because before a random person couldn't join your world, then proceed to torch and hammer everything you've built up.

Edit: darn Ninjas!

10 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

It wasn't needed since randoms couldn't join and burn stuff. Since it was singleplayer.

I completely understand that and why it's necessary to have it in the current version for that exact reason. However, what I'm saying was that old Don't Starve was very well designed in such a way to be "hard" and not have any cheap way outs. If I remember correctly, initially the game wouldn't save automatically when you quit and you had to wait for nightfall (I think). Players used that mechanic to fix mistakes and therefore the game was changed to save every time you quit the game. 

None of this would be a problem of course, if they just passed DST content to DS. No grieffers, no need for rollbacks, problem solved.

27 minutes ago, TalZahn said:

Bring things over isn't what would lead me to believe they 'abandoned' Singleplayer. It's more the fact how there hasn't been a bug fix for single player in awhile compared to DST. Even then, I understand why that is (DST may be a higher priority FOR NOW, since it affects more people at once), but could understand why it may feel like it's been abandoned.

I haven't really wanted to play much single player due to some bugs (that have been reported), so end up on DST more often until its addressed.

I think they said on stream, that they've been just holding on from updating the game with the bugfixes(which made it sound like some bugs were already fixed), the reason why they don't update.. beats me..

6 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

They are absolutely worth the effort. The only major problem with them at the moment in my opinion is that since they can't be taken between shards, exploring a separate shard (generally caves) is difficult and unfun to do without risking losing those investments. Pudgy's kind of useless but I'm pretty sure it's a booby prize.

Again, one more reason why it's more suitable for Singleplayer than Multiplayer.

8 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

Still have to get to that point before you can do any of that, which is coming from the perspective of someone who's never successfully tamed a beefalo or even got anywhere close, and honestly still doesn't sounds entirely viable to me but whatever.

9 minutes ago, Subscriber01236 said:

Still have to get to that point before you can do any of that, which is coming from the perspective of someone who's never successfully tamed a beefalo or even got anywhere close, and honestly still doesn't sounds entirely viable to me but whatever.

I've never done it because I've just never seen the point. Most servers reset and if they don't, then when I log off I'm leaving a Beefalo with a saddle all alone that anyone can just take.

Yet again, another reason why this mechanic is more suitable for Singleplayer than Multiplayer.

5 minutes ago, Subscriber01236 said:

I've done it several times. I actually had two domesticated at once, even. You might need to do some research because it's really very easy to do. I'm not sure what your definition of viable is, honestly, but other than the aforementioned problem with shards I'm very, very happy with my beefa-tank and was just as happy with my race-alo until a trip to the caves undomesticated him.

Archived