Shipwrecked questions

Hi i need a guide on how to play in SW because i seem to die always on day 25 i tried to make the snakesking jacket for hurricane season but it won't do so if some of you have any advices on how to play SW please do tell in SW i do play as Walani however because i got used to her perks.So if you can give any tips and advices it would be very helpful for me and who knows maybe i'll survive more so how do you survive in SW what you need to do besides harvesting and not starving?

Personally i say that WX, Wolfgang, Woodie (if you can play him well) and Wendy reign supreme in SW (although Willow has some niche uses aswell).

For Hurricane season all you really need is A Chiminea, a Lightning Rod and a Palm Leaf Hut. Because of the storms you won't explore that much anyway so you'r going to spend most of your time near your main island collecting food. Normally you should be golden with just some Seaweed (can even de dryied on a rack if it's about to spoil), Limpets and Mussels as well as maybe 1 Snakeden on the Island to farm Monstermeat and the snakeskin.

As for Boneshards. Easiest way to get them is to make a Speargun (pretty cheap nowadays) and kill some dogfish. Then put them somewhere in your base and let them spoil so they turn into spoiled FIsh and then give them a good thwack with the Hammer and voila boneshards. Also prioritize the Snakeskin Hat over the Jacket since it protects you from random lightningbolts what the jacket doesn't do.

Also a little hint but use the time for Hurricane Season wisely to prepare for Monsoonseason. Get as much bamboo, sand and wood as humanly possible so you can protect your base against the floods. At least that's what i tend to do in Hurricaneseason because again it's not the nicest season to explore

1 hour ago, Mr.P said:

Personally i say that WX, Wolfgang, Woodie (if you can play him well) and Wendy reign supreme in SW (although Willow has some niche uses aswell).

For Hurricane season all you really need is A Chiminea, a Lightning Rod and a Palm Leaf Hut. Because of the storms you won't explore that much anyway so you'r going to spend most of your time near your main island collecting food. Normally you should be golden with just some Seaweed (can even de dryied on a rack if it's about to spoil), Limpets and Mussels as well as maybe 1 Snakeden on the Island to farm Monstermeat and the snakeskin.

As for Boneshards. Easiest way to get them is to make a Speargun (pretty cheap nowadays) and kill some dogfish. Then put them somewhere in your base and let them spoil so they turn into spoiled FIsh and then give them a good thwack with the Hammer and voila boneshards. Also prioritize the Snakeskin Hat over the Jacket since it protects you from random lightningbolts what the jacket doesn't do.

Also a little hint but use the time for Hurricane Season wisely to prepare for Monsoonseason. Get as much bamboo, sand and wood as humanly possible so you can protect your base against the floods. At least that's what i tend to do in Hurricaneseason because again it's not the nicest season to explore

and summer how do i deal with the meteors and such?,i know for moonsoon i have to make a lot of sandbags but with all the meteor raining how i can handle that if i get to summer maybe?

29 minutes ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

and summer how do i deal with the meteors and such?,i know for moonsoon i have to make a lot of sandbags but with all the meteor raining how i can handle that if i get to summer maybe?

A boat with a Sail and a proper Lantern. Remember you get 3 warnings before the eruptions happen so prepare for them by taking some ice (to counter overheating) and dodge them on the sea. This is the safest way of getting past them be carefull and observe where the shadows are and where Eggs will land.

If you have to dodge them on land be sure to suit up and wear a Logsuit and a Football Helmet. That way the Meteors can't oneshot you but it's safe to say that it's more of a last ditch of effort.

2 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

A boat with a Sail and a proper Lantern. Remember you get 3 warnings before the eruptions happen so prepare for them by taking some ice (to counter overheating) and dodge them on the sea. This is the safest way of getting past them be carefull and observe where the shadows are and where Eggs will land.

If you have to dodge them on land be sure to suit up and wear a Logsuit and a Football Helmet. That way the Meteors can't oneshot you but it's safe to say that it's more of a last ditch of effort.

thanks that should help me atleast i'll start with wendy and see how well i can do i hope i can survive more i thought SW may be more easy because it has no winter but it's not like that,I always find gold hard it takes me 5 days i always have to try to take the gold fast so monkeys won't steal it i always encounter snakes into the jungle trees.So many bad things happen to me.I hit a lot of waves because i barely can avoid them oh well it seems hard playing will learn me a lot.But thanks for helping me

Oh yeah should i make farms and such for any season especially from mild what should i do in the seasons?

5 hours ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

Hi i need a guide on how to play in SW because i seem to die always on day 25 i tried to make the snakesking jacket for hurricane season but it won't do so if some of you have any advices on how to play SW please do tell in SW i do play as Walani however because i got used to her perks.So if you can give any tips and advices it would be very helpful for me and who knows maybe i'll survive more so how do you survive in SW what you need to do besides harvesting and not starving?

Walani is good for starters... She's a good vanilla character almost without any disadvantages. 

I recommend that you read the survival guides available on steam and in this forum.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/guides/

Explaining everything on a threat is a bit much. Besides, many things you don't know get explained on the wiki....

http://es.dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don't_Starve:_Shipwrecked

If you have exhausted these two sources of info, then come back to the forums with more specific questions

Finally, remember that you can always look for more survival strategies watching DS series and streams. 

I hope this helps and don't forget that dying is the best way of learning the game. 

3 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Maxwell's also good in SW.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Maxwell's also good in SW.

True one of my better runs was with him. That means up to the point where Sealnado decided to be a d**k. However I didn't mention him because not everyone has acces to Maxwell because they either never finished Adventure Mode or never botherd using console commands to unlock him.

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Walani is good for starters... She's a good vanilla character almost without any disadvantages. 

I recommend that you read the survival guides available on steam and in this forum.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/guides/

Explaining everything on a threat is a bit much. Besides, many things you don't know get explained on the wiki....

http://es.dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don't_Starve:_Shipwrecked

If you have exhausted these two sources of info, then come back to the forums with more specific questions

Finally, remember that you can always look for more survival strategies watching DS series and streams. 

I hope this helps and don't forget that dying is the best way of learning the game. 

the links don't help me 

2 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

True one of my better runs was with him. That means up to the point where Sealnado decided to be a d**k. However I didn't mention him because not everyone has acces to Maxwell because they either never finished Adventure Mode or never botherd using console commands to unlock him.

thanks and yeah i never tried to play with Maxwell i can try with Woodlegs maybe or I'll see soon.I just hope i can survive well.

i'll keep this thread for when i have more question to ask until then thanks a lot for helping me

1 hour ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

the links don't help me 

The links imply that you need to look for information related to the topic you are looking for.  It is not like you can learn everything on one day. If you are willing to research about the game, you'll succeed in it. Simple as that.

You can usually get enough information to get started if you read through the patch/update notes in the wikia for SW. That's how i got familiar with the new items and mobs when i first got SW. Also world customization could help if you're really struggling and after you get the hang of things and feel more comfortable with it, you can play it on default settings. I like playing Wendy in SW but you can also try Wilbur (if you have him unlocked) if you're having troubles with prime apes stealing your stuff. Take your time learning about the game! No need to rush.

12 hours ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

the links don't help me 

thanks and yeah i never tried to play with Maxwell i can try with Woodlegs maybe or I'll see soon.I just hope i can survive well.

i'll keep this thread for when i have more question to ask until then thanks a lot for helping me

I'm sorry to say this, but if you can't survive hurricane season you won't really deal with Woodlegs' sanity situation.

11 hours ago, Urfable said:

You can usually get enough information to get started if you read through the patch/update notes in the wikia for SW. That's how i got familiar with the new items and mobs when i first got SW. Also world customization could help if you're really struggling and after you get the hang of things and feel more comfortable with it, you can play it on default settings. I like playing Wendy in SW but you can also try Wilbur (if you have him unlocked) if you're having troubles with prime apes stealing your stuff. Take your time learning about the game! No need to rush.

But I don't thing this was the only source of info you used. Eventually, you have turned to the wiki and other sources for further explanation, haven't you?

DS demands certain effort and knowledge. Many things you can find out by yourself, but the chances you can uncover every single wee tiny secret of the game are very slim. That's why discussing different topics on the game in the forums is so useful. We contribute to enrich each other's in-game experiences.

12 hours ago, Urfable said:

wilbur can't talk it's like playing with webber just you're controlling monkeys instead of spiders and i barely played with wilbur.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I'm sorry to say this, but if you can't survive hurricane season you won't really deal with Woodlegs' sanity situation.

yeah that may be true since i do a lot of mistakes i need to learn properly the game somehow.

46 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

But I don't thing this was the only source of info you used. Eventually, you have turned to the wiki and other sources for further explanation, haven't you?

DS demands certain effort and knowledge. Many things you can find out by yourself, but the chances you can uncover every single wee tiny secret of the game are very slim. That's why discussing different topics on the game in the forums is so useful. We contribute to enrich each other's in-game experiences.

i've been watching SW videos those days i don't think wiki can help that much,so i better see how others play

Maybe should i start and play with Maxwell? or Warly?

1 hour ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

i've been watching SW videos those days i don't think wiki can help that much,so i better see how others play

I wouldn't recommend to start with Maxwell in SW. He's too squishy. If you wanna learn how to play SW, go for Warly or Walani. Walani has not much to offer late game, but she is a good starting character.

Watching people playing SW is obviously a very good place to start learning the intricacies of the game. Don't forget to keep learning more about the game on the WIki and reading about the game. Believe me, it is totally worth it.

3 hours ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

wilbur can't talk it's like playing with webber just you're controlling monkeys instead of spiders and i barely played with wilbur.

yeah that may be true since i do a lot of mistakes i need to learn properly the game somehow.

If you want to learn, go Wilson to learn the basics. As willson you'll have no issue with anything but the issues the game already offers.

Willbur is really not Webber. Webber thrives off of his spiders(can live off of them alone, create massive armies within seconds, thrive in the caves thanks to the huge amounts of spiders with nests that aren't as easily destroyed by mobs), has a beard to help in winter and to aid his low maximum sanity(which means you go sane quickly, and go insane quickly, good for nightmare farming, and for recovering from that) by shaving, etc.

Webber changes the game. Wilbur means you can really make use of the apes, but...that's it. He offers 0 uniqueness. He can't talk(discount Wes), doesn't even need the apes(VERY discount Webber), he runs but after a delay, the running resets when you do something but walk, and on boats and until he starts running, he's slower than everyone else, as well as loses more hunger when he runs(Slight adventage with all these disadventages). Oh right and gains pathetic 10 sanity from bananas, whooptie doo.

Warly is also not a good choice. he's annoying/boring. Offers no real difference from Wilson in the important things.

18 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

If you want to learn, go Wilson to learn the basics. As willson you'll have no issue with anything but the issues the game already offers.

Willbur is really not Webber. Webber thrives off of his spiders(can live off of them alone, create massive armies within seconds, thrive in the caves thanks to the huge amounts of spiders with nests that aren't as easily destroyed by mobs), has a beard to help in winter and to aid his low maximum sanity(which means you go sane quickly, and go insane quickly, good for nightmare farming, and for recovering from that) by shaving, etc.

Webber changes the game. Wilbur means you can really make use of the apes, but...that's it. He offers 0 uniqueness. He can't talk(discount Wes), doesn't even need the apes(VERY discount Webber), he runs but after a delay, the running resets when you do something but walk, and on boats and until he starts running, he's slower than everyone else, as well as loses more hunger when he runs(Slight adventage with all these disadventages). Oh right and gains pathetic 10 sanity from bananas, whooptie doo.

Warly is also not a good choice. he's annoying/boring. Offers no real difference from Wilson in the important things.

i don't like playing with wilson i usually play with other character than wilson dk why but i don't fun in playing with it's true he has some funny quotes but i don't find the fun in playing with him as i don't like playing with wolfgang.

So i have to choose beetween wendy or willow or Wx-78 or wickerbottom,so far i decided to play with Wendy is that good?

(i know she does wimpy damage but i can manage somehow)

or i can start with wigfrid

16 minutes ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

i don't like playing with wilson i usually play with other character than wilson dk why but i don't fun in playing with it's true he has some funny quotes but i don't find the fun in playing with him as i don't like playing with wolfgang.

So i have to choose beetween wendy or willow or Wx-78 or wickerbottom,so far i decided to play with Wendy is that good?

(i know she does wimpy damage but i can manage somehow)

or i can start with wigfrid

Wendy is good but Abigail is your way of dealing damage. She's actually pretty good.

WX has issues early on in SW but the moment you get loads of gears, he's god. And in SW it happens very soon.

Wickerbottom is always fantastic late game at least. she can farm things like no one else.

Wigfrid is great, but she can't eat coffee, so its a big issue in SW when you find the volcano and Coffee.

10 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I did say i used the wiki lol. The forums don't do much for me, though i do post and read other people's posts. I think it's more fun discovering things on your own even if it takes a while but that's just how i am. I never said OP should just learn on their own or anything so I'm not sure why you've quoted me with that.

10 hours ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

Yeah, my bad, i forgot that Wilbur can't really speak. I prefer him over the other new SW characters though.

Wendy is a good start. I've had plenty of good play throughs with her. I wouldn't really fight anything without Abigail though. Wigfrid is good too but early on it could be a bit harder to get your meat situation sorted out but if you can do that then you're good to go. I will say that Wigfrid gets pretty boring because she's such a good fighter (and there's no real threat).

On 28 aprilie 2016 at 11:27 AM, FreyaMaluk said:

I wouldn't recommend to start with Maxwell in SW. He's too squishy. If you wanna learn how to play SW, go for Warly or Walani. Walani has not much to offer late game, but she is a good starting character.

Watching people playing SW is obviously a very good place to start learning the intricacies of the game. Don't forget to keep learning more about the game on the WIki and reading about the game. Believe me, it is totally worth it.

i think it is because that's what i have to do watching liutenantvolx's(or Volx) streams will help especially because i won't be sble to play SW for some time watching SW will help me a lot atleast even if he's playing with Woodlegs.I started playing with Wickerbottom been playing for five days and i think i'm slowly improving not sure still but that's what i think.

What should i focus on the seasons,how should i make my base in SW?,what do i need to focus on the season on doing?

18 hours ago, Urfable said:

Yeah, my bad, i forgot that Wilbur can't really speak. I prefer him over the other new SW characters though.

Wendy is a good start. I've had plenty of good play throughs with her. I wouldn't really fight anything without Abigail though. Wigfrid is good too but early on it could be a bit harder to get your meat situation sorted out but if you can do that then you're good to go. I will say that Wigfrid gets pretty boring because she's such a good fighter (and there's no real threat).

to be honest monkeys in SW annoy me i always want to kill them,they always want to steal my stuff and it's been annoying me a lot now whenever i see a monkey hut i want to destroy it so that's why wouldn't play with Wigfrid.Yes i would play with Wendy but since i need a lot of guides to learn about to learn how can i survive hurricane season i'll see.how  can i survive in SW cause i learned that ROG is more easier than SW?

On 28 aprilie 2016 at 2:06 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

Wendy is good but Abigail is your way of dealing damage. She's actually pretty good.

WX has issues early on in SW but the moment you get loads of gears, he's god. And in SW it happens very soon.

Wickerbottom is always fantastic late game at least. she can farm things like no one else.

Wigfrid is great, but she can't eat coffee, so its a big issue in SW when you find the volcano and Coffee.

so wigfrid is npt a option to play with in SW and i should play with her only in ROG?

3 minutes ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

to be honest monkeys in SW annoy me i always want to kill them,they always want to steal my stuff and it's been annoying me a lot now whenever i see a monkey hut i want to destroy it so that's why wouldn't play with Wigfrid.Yes i would play with Wendy but since i need a lot of guides to learn about to learn how can i survive hurricane season i'll see.Cause i need to learn how to survive in SW cause i learned that ROG is more easier than SW?

so wigfrid is npt a option to play with in SW and i should play with her only in ROG?

She is an option.

Archived