How to improve old mod if author does not respond?

Is there easy step by step guide about how to port old mod to DST (or update old mod in DST)? I mean character mods. I have following issues:

1) Losing folder's names after decompiling anim file via krane:

8035469.png

2) Decompiled images are x2 or x3 or x4 in size:

8017037.png

3) I'm trying to add new faces (up to 32), but I'm not sure what each face means. Existing DST mods use different emotes for faces with the same number. There is no uniform standard.

4) Recompiled animation file is too large (because of large decompiled images). Tried resize it via TexTools but got big head of character ingame.

We definitely need a guide about how to improve old mods. There are too many bad mods with good idea and good basic art. And some authors don't care about their old mods for years even if it's outdated.

Except for private use, why should you improve private mod if the author don't give you his approval ?

For example, because it's broken.

I mean situations when author don't care about mod at all , don't answer for months, or even always offline in steam (for years). I can post a message about I'm going to improve the mod and I'll remove it as soon as author ask about it.

And you right. First of all I need it for personal use. And only then I may publish if the author don't mind. Main goal of this work is to keep art as close to original as possible. So all credits go to authors anyway. And I don't mind if author publish my improvements under his name. All I need is working stable nice mods for my dedicated server.

Edited by Maris

On 4/16/2016 at 5:53 AM, KingZed said:

you can find  the folder's names through edit scml with notepad++ .sorry, my english is pool

In scml there are the same strange names of the folders. :(

If you are able to extract the images, it might be smarter to make a "patch-mod". Give it a really high priority so the file gets overwritten, no Lua or code needed.

Needless to say, you should credit the original author (regardless of copyright situation, as this is usance).

I have no idea how to decompile the image properly if ktool (not krane) doesn't do the trick.

15 minutes ago, Maris said:

I think I could use SymbolOverride for face. But I'm not sure what each number of face does mean. What emotions? Are there emotion names on the forum?

you do not need to know emotions,just change them to the right name

face-0 face-1 .........