Please NO difficulty setting!

Do you think that there should be a difficulty setting implemented in the game?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that there should be a difficulty setting implemented in the game?

• No, the difficulty is fine
    • I'm not sure! I go with the flow~
    • Yes, this game makes me butthurt

Personally, I believe there should be a difficulty setting in every game ever created.Yes, really. This helps the creators market their game to a wider audience. Experienced players can still seriously challenge themselves and newbs, or people with LESS down TIME, can gain more enjoyment from something they PURCHASED to have fun with.Having a difficulty setting isn't selling out, it's adjusting to your individual customer(s).If you, as a player want your game experience to stay "hard", play it on the "hard" setting. Who cares if someone else wants an easier game than you...they aren't forcing you to do the same. Just learn to say "Oh, I like that game too, and I play on Hard-Mode."

• Developer

In the next update there will be two big new things:1) Winter. With tough mobs, the danger of freezing to death, and a general lack of food. This should make things harder when it kicks in (around day 30 or so).2) Sandbox world configuration. While you don't directly control difficulty, and general game mechanics (hunger, spoilage, sanity, permadeath, etc) stay the same, you will be able to affect the properties of the world. As in, you can have a big world with no spiders, or a small world with lots of spiders, or a world that starts in winter, or a world with really short days, etc. These things will impact (and potentially greatly imbalance) your play experience. Of course you can still set everything to default and play the game as we have tuned it.

In the next update there will be two big new things:1) Winter. With tough mobs, the danger of freezing to death, and a general lack of food. This should make things harder when it kicks in (around day 30 or so).2) Sandbox world configuration. While you don't directly control difficulty, and general game mechanics (hunger, spoilage, sanity, permadeath, etc) stay the same, you will be able to affect the properties of the world. As in, you can have a big world with no spiders, or a small world with lots of spiders, or a world that starts in winter, or a world with really short days, etc. These things will impact (and potentially greatly imbalance) your play experience. Of course you can still set everything to default and play the game as we have tuned it.

This is GREAT NEWS! thanks for making this game awesome as always , I think that winter should play a big role in this game sinse freezing to death will probably be my worst enemy , I also think that they're should be "hot days" that when you are too hot drains your sanity and if your hot for a long time , you should set on fire by combusting into flames. It'll add a twist.But the great thing is that I can now generate the world how I want , meaning that I can add alot of bees and live off of honey for the rest of my days.Maxwell calls for more action! More deaths! more drama! Don't Starve : Sat & Sun 9/10c , only on KleiVision , now in HD!

How long will winter last?And will adventure mode always be more difficult than sandbox,as in world gen will get harder,and for example you go through a portal and it's winter on the next "level"?The sandbox world configuration sounds like it will be a great way to maxmimize your playing experience,since you can make the sandbox mode more uncompromising with the configuration,or make it less uncompromising if you'd so desire.But then winter will still say hi aswell,making the game (I welcome this with open arms) tougher.Something to look forward to :) And heck I'll say it,we will get winter soon,yay!

2) Sandbox world configuration. While you don't directly control difficulty, and general game mechanics (hunger, spoilage, sanity, permadeath, etc) stay the same, you will be able to affect the properties of the world.

Thanks for responding, Kevin. I really appreciate the fact that you aren't planning to add difficulty settings!

I think you all Make this because my Thread...

I think I started this thread waaay before yours, look at the date. :3

Love this idea it's a more complex version of difficulty settings that should make most players happy.

This is GREAT NEWS! thanks for making this game awesome as always , I think that winter should play a big role in this game sinse freezing to death will probably be my worst enemy , I also think that they're should be "hot days" that when you are too hot drains your sanity and if your hot for a long time , you should set on fire by combusting into flames. It'll add a twist.But the great thing is that I can now generate the world how I want , meaning that I can add alot of bees and live off of honey for the rest of my days.Maxwell calls for more action! More deaths! more drama! Don't Starve : Sat & Sun 9/10c , only on KleiVision , now in HD!

I'm hoping that will come in the Summer update I can't see it not happening since we have a Winter update. Also I hope to see a weather update as well this would add to the difficulty of the game. Edited by Avarwen

I don't want to sound like an ass, but what about Wolfgang and Wes? They are almost like playing on Easy mode and Hard mode.I haven't read the entire thread, but I believe that there is absolutely no hurt in having a difficulty setting for the game. Not everybody is the same (skills and experience-wise), but everyone who wants to should be able to experience the game. Difficulty is PART of the experience. Some people, such as most of you, prefer the challenge, whereas some others would like it a bit easier. On top of that, the difficulty or the sandbox settings, would allow people to customize how they will play the game for the 5th, 10th, 25th 50th time.

2) Sandbox world configuration. While you don't directly control difficulty, and general game mechanics (hunger, spoilage, sanity, permadeath, etc) stay the same, you will be able to affect the properties of the world. As in, you can have a big world with no spiders, or a small world with lots of spiders, or a world that starts in winter, or a world with really short days, etc. These things will impact (and potentially greatly imbalance) your play experience. Of course you can still set everything to default and play the game as we have tuned it.

I say YES to difficulty setting.

Edited by QuickSaveTV

I don't want to sound like an ass, but what about Wolfgang and Wes? They are almost like playing on Easy mode and Hard mode.I haven't read the entire thread, but I believe that there is absolutely no hurt in having a difficulty setting for the game. Not everybody is the same (skills and experience-wise), but everyone who wants to should be able to experience the game. Difficulty is PART of the experience. Some people, such as most of you, prefer the challenge, whereas some others would like it a bit easier. On top of that, the difficulty or the sandbox settings, would allow people to customize how they will play the game for the 5th, 10th, 25th 50th time.

I say YES to difficulty setting.

I like the way they are going to have it set up. I'm hoping this will allow them to add more mobs that are more aggressive and more challenging since you can remove them from the game if you want that way everybody wins.