Suggested Ice Machine 3000 changes

K5dV

The Ice Machine 3000 is a currently very powerful. I have some ideas for changing it. 

Option 1: Changing the recipe
The recipe could be changed to make the ice machine harder to make, preventing players from getting it until they have gone through enough days. 
Suggested recipe:
1 Thermal stone
1 Red gem
1 Blue gem

Option 2: Nerfing ice in the crock pot
Nerfing ice in the crock pot would make the machine less efficient for fending off hunger. The ice machine would now be a summer survival item. 
Suggested change:
Only 1 ice can be used in a crock pot. More than 1 ice (except in ice-related recipes like the jell-o-pop) will result in wet goop. 

Option 3: Changing the fuel-ice ratio of the ice machine
This would make it so that the ice machine would be harder to fuel, thus resulting in slower ice production. 
Suggested change: 
Ice is now made at a 4:1 ratio. Now it takes 4 of any fuel source to create ice. This would vastly slow ice production, requiring the player to gather lots of fuel to make ice. This would mean most of the ice from the machine would be saved in preparation for summer. 

Tell me which option you prefer, or an entirely different way of changing the Ice Machine 3000.  

Well, ice belongs in a few recipes. Making it "not a filler" is actually pretty annoying-- it requires tagging a bunch of recipes as not allowing ice. An easier method, I think, would be to have a high-priority "garbage" recipe that has as its requirements 2 ice only. "zero-calorie smoothie" or something.

1 hour ago, rezecib said:

Well, ice belongs in a few recipes. Making it "not a filler" is actually pretty annoying-- it requires tagging a bunch of recipes as not allowing ice. An easier method, I think, would be to have a high-priority "garbage" recipe that has as its requirements 2 ice only. "zero-calorie smoothie" or something.

That is brilliant, please Klei and Capy hear on that man...or woman, words of meaning come from his...her mouth!

why do you people want to nerf such a wonderful machine?...I vote klei to bring back inconsistent rain of fire in dry season with only 3 second gap, hope that is hard enough for you all...

oh and one more thing, lets make the puddles increase even when you put sandbags in the middle and don't stop even when you completely sandbag them...

48 minutes ago, SepiaPaper said:

why do you people want to nerf such a wonderful machine?...I vote klei to bring back inconsistent rain of fire in dry season with only 3 second gap, hope that is hard enough for you all...

oh and one more thing, lets make the puddles increase even when you put sandbags in the middle and don't stop even when you completely sandbag them...

I am a big fan of the ice machine. I just feel it's too good at it's job of making ice so we never starve. 

I think removing ice as a filler entirely would make that machine almost useless. I like the idea of the ice machine, it's just too strong. The advantage of a "zero-calorie smoothie" recipe or something similar would be that you could use 1 ice in most recipes, which gives you some utility from the machine, but you'd still need a little more real food to make meatballs.

Rezecib has a fantastic idea, but mind you, it would still be fairly useful since if it required 2+ ice akin to that of Monster Lasagna, you could still use one for filler. I'll throw in my own concept into the mix and see how it goes though: Perhaps make it so the exchange is not as extravagant (From maybe 3 ice for 1 log to 1 log for 1 ice?) or maybe make it so after the Ice Maker is used X amount of times, it breaks down and needs to be repaired to continue functioning, perhaps needing to add a power source such as additional electrical doodads or a blue gem?

Anywho, that's what I got to offer. I'm not the most keen on the Ice Maker, since I usually just make Bacon and Eggs or Honey Ham. My only final suggestion is to bump up the price. Right now, it's stupid cheap. If you ask me, probably remove the bamboo and make it require blue gems or another rare material, because in its current state, it gives you way too much mileage for what's worth.

I just think it should require gears and a blue gem and be able to be ruined by flood puddles. That's all I really have to say. I don't even build this machine with all the filler that already exists in the world, I just don't care enough to and it feels too cheesy for my preferred playstyle. I might make it if I ever want to specifically make banana pops and such though, because those are pretty great, but that's what hail is for anyway. Frankly I don't really see why this machine even exists when there's hail to give us ice already. Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, SirBuizelton said:

I just think it should require gears and a blue gem and be able to be ruined by flood puddles. 

Nope, no gems. Magic always was separated from science in this game, and it should remain.

23 hours ago, mitboy said:

Nope, no gems. Magic always was separated from science in this game, and it should remain.

You say that as if there isn't something blatantly magical about turning wood and other fuel into ice. But regardless, that's fine. I still think it should at least require gears.

If you feel Ice Machine is going to make the game harder i'm sorry... If your objective is to make the game harder there are other far more important matters and you can always make it your self. I do agree 1 monster meat + 3 ice was too op, but has been like that since RoG. In a winter you can get enough ice for the rest of your Year why change that now, just because ice machine are too op ?

Like many said, you have so many fillers in your world, food is not a problem, specially when you eggs are even easier to get then ice since you end up always with tons of monster meat. Rays, Spiders, Snakes, Hounds, etc etc.

The ice machine does his job fine and saves up time of grinding stuff for you too focus on building or trying other stuff in late game once you done with all the survival. Let's face it, if you play a game that many hours you get to the point that only stupidity kills you. Don't Starve is just about the learning curve.

And then again, if you want a challenge, you can always set your world in any way you want.

Best Regards,

Glhrmzz

The iceballs were already stupid even in Reign of Giants. I deliberately never use them because they make the game too easy. I'll use meat/berry/icecube kebabs if I'm desperate, but not 3-ice-and-a-monster-meat meatballs. I'm surprised it was even left in the game after RoG left Early Access, because it seems so much like an oversight.

But now that you have an on-demand ice maker and don't even have to leave your base to gather it, it's even worse; having a snake bush near your base and an ice machine utterly nullifies your hunger concerns. Even the wiki points that out. What I'd most like to see is a recipe like Monster Lasagna that takes priority if you have 2 or 3 Ice, like the 'zero-calorie smoothie' idea. (In some other thread I think I suggested having it make soup or broth instead, but the smoothie thing means it would still make sense if the one piece of real food was a fruit or vegetable.) But if they don't want to change the crockpot, I'd also be satisfied with having the machine produce far less ice relative to the amount of fuel so you have to scrape it together for an Ice Cube or an Ice Flingomatic instead of having a free-flowing river of ice before you even get the gears for an Ice Box. Changing the recipe seems like the least effective way to deal with it because it really only delays the onset of the problem.

23 hours ago, SirBuizelton said:

You say that as if there isn't something blatantly magical about turning wood and other fuel into ice. But regardless, that's fine. I still think it should at least require gears.

Technically, your freezer does the same.

2 minutes ago, mitboy said:

Technically, your freezer does the same.

Technically it reduces the temperature. You still need water(H2O) to get ice but we can blindly assume that the machine gets it from humid tropical air.

An Ice Machine that you have to fill with both fuel and rain water which you could collect from your water pump, or a bucket, during Monsoon season? Two for one.

That said, I don't think its really necessary to nerf. It takes awhile for it to spit out much Ice and I am impatient and usually have other things to do. (Usually have enough Ice from hail alone even after nerf.) Food is plentiful enough to gather without exploiting the Ice Machine. Plus I think it already takes enough fuel, I plant & chop (hehe Pig-Boar minions) tons of wood. But I still haven't had tons extra I didn't need even at 200+ days. I try and keep a relatively large stock of boards that I go though quickly enough keeping cool during Volcano season.

I totally agree that the 1 monster meat + 3 ice recipe seems like it shouldn't be in the game. A good way to balance this would be to change the recipe so that using more than 1 ice as filler would result in Wet Goop. Which kinda makes sense anyway.

It's not only the ice. In my opinion, the meatballs recipe makes food a non-factor in the game. Once you plant ~10 berry bushes next to your base or build a birdcage, you'll never run out of fillers for monster meat. There is no reason to touch all the new food sources in SW, like mussels or fishing. 

I would just make it so that when monster food is used the result will always be monster lasagna. And remove the monster meat -> egg recipe. I read they did the latter some time ago but it was reverted. Dunno why.

33 minutes ago, heckypecky said:

I would just make it so that when monster food is used the result will always be monster lasagna

This kills the Meaty Stew.

If anything, if your recipe uses only Monster Meat as meat then it should be Monster Lasagna.

Example:

Monster Meat+Berries+Berries+Berries = Monster Lasagna

Monster Meat + Morsel + Berries + Berries = Meatballs

Whatever the recipe, this is not an issue on the late game. As Glhrmzz said, starving is not the case of death in late game, just the fact of being careless.

Indeed, by the time you reach 100 days you have reliable sources of food, whether it's from snakes, spiders, pigs, hounds, monkeys, mushrooms, farms etc. 

The food issue is only a thing in the first year but not after. 

On 2016-01-30 at 11:16 AM, heckypecky said:

I would just make it so that when monster food is used the result will always be monster lasagna. And remove the monster meat -> egg recipe. I read they did the latter some time ago but it was reverted. Dunno why.

NO!!!

That would have a knock-on effect for almost every meat-based recipe in the game and make Monster Meat absolutely worthless unless you were desperate. It wouldn't even be worth carrying back to your base! Have you never used Monster Meat in Honey Ham, Bacon and Eggs, or Pierogi?

Especially Pierogi, since it gets hit both coming and going with your suggestions as a recipe that requires both an egg and at least one meat of any type and thus is commonly made with 1 Monster Meat + 1 egg produced from monster meat. Bacon and Eggs would be the next worst off, since you would be required to use either a Tallbird Egg or a large piece of normal meat, and no passive creatures drop large meat unless you count young beefalo; you'd have to either actively hunt tougher creatures that fight back, or only eat Bacon and Eggs when you were able to get better meat than morsel-equivalents simply by being in the right place at the right time. Honey Ham would become more costly, since you would absolutely have to use at least one piece of large meat whereas now you can use one monster meat and two morsels. The sole use Monster Meat would have would be recruiting pigs, and you already can't use too much of it.

That's just what it would do when you have normal access to food. Imagine it in Adventure Mode. Sometimes you don't have much to eat other than spiders and the occasional pack of hounds, and if you were stuck with health and sanity loss no matter how you consumed the resulting monster meat, it'd be even harder to keep your sanity up than it already is. (And the health loss is nothing to sneeze at either.) Especially in Darkness.

I just don't use the ice machine anymore. It just sits there in my base gathering dust, until I need a bananapop. It just feels so OP...

I mean, the glaciers in RoG seemed overpowered because you could get meatballs year round just by mining them down. But having a fuel powered machine that just gives you ice on demand? Maybe not...

Archived