Ghost player sanity drain is way too intense

I was a huge DS fan and was trying out DST last night. My experience was basically that I couldn't ever leave the base because I joined in winter and any time a ghost would come anywhere near the base (the area of effect is also way extremely intense) my sanity would go from the about half I had managed to work it back up to (standing next to Glommer) to being attacked in the span of about 15 seconds.

This is just way too much. An entire group of people can become insane in way less than the amount of time it takes to explain to a noob that they are screwing over everyone. It's also extremely inviting to trolls and griefers.

Please come up with something better or tone it way way down.

Endless Mode is literally just Survival Mode with no sanity drain from ghosts, always-available resurrection, and no risk of the server resetting if all the players are dead. It needs more appreciation. (I don't understand why people make mods to remove these aspects of Survival Mode. It's like they haven't noticed there's more than one game mode.)

Also, a single ghost drains about as much sanity as a rainstorm without the wetness factor, and it affects you the same whether you're near the ghost or not. Three or more ghosts drain the same amount of sanity as wearing Night Armour. I checked the numbers on the wiki, and it's 3.3 sanity/minute per ghost with a cap of 10/minute. Your sanity was probably draining from something else and the ghost just made it moderately worse. It affects you about as much as someone on the other side of the map angering a nest of Moslings, since their attacks summon rain.

I still think ghosts should get a sanity aura rather than global sanity.  It doesn't make sense for you to lose sanity if someone far away died, does it?  How would you even know they died?

The point is to get people to revive these ghosts. Problem is with most servers I've been on, is if you die they expect you to leave.

The point is to get people to revive these ghosts. Problem is with most servers I've been on, is if you die they expect you to leave.

Yeah. I've been outright insulted for dying on a server once and was told to leave. So I elected to stay as a ghost to punish folks.

Although I would agree that a global insanity drain is a bit much. It would be better if it were an aura like a normal ghost's.

• Developer

Yeah. I've been outright insulted for dying on a server once and was told to leave. So I elected to stay as a ghost to punish folks.

Although I would agree that a global insanity drain is a bit much. It would be better if it were an aura like a normal ghost's.

A bigger aura, perhaps, but I agree. Global sanity drain is simply illogical.

Then again, we're talking about Don't Starve here...

A bigger aura, perhaps, but I agree. Global sanity drain is simply illogical.

Then again, we're talking about Don't Starve here...

Yeah where tents are constructable monsters whom suck out the food you've eaten that day through every available orifice.

Or inflating a balloon animal somehow takes a serious toll on your psyche.

It's just weird.

The sanity drain is how Klei ported the permadeath feature of single player into multiplayer, where the same permadeath mechanic doesn't work. So instead of having the world dissapear when you die (which is one of the main challenges and the interesting part of single player) they have the penalties of lower max HP and sanity drain for other players.

5 months ago I know it could become a slippery slope, but now that telltale hearts don't cost sanity and you gain sanity from reviving someone, I personally think dying doesn't have enough penalties.

Yes, when you're playing with randoms it feels like you're being punished for their inexperience but in the end it's just another challenge. 

Klei understands there are casual players so that's why there's endless mode.

It's not just about people being inexperienced though.

On a Survival server I once played, there was a person who gathered lots of stuff really quickly but died twice to a combination of Varg and lag. He was resurrected twice but got mad when a random troll stole some of his stuff on the ground. He decided to drag every other innocent person down with him just because that troll didn't give his items back. He proceeded to kill himself and went AFK until 3 relatively inexperienced people died to insanity. His tactic didn't affect me in the slightest but everyone else died, left, and the whole ordeal completely ruined my day.

I know the point of this mechanic is to make everyone cooperate, but right now it is too easy to abuse.

I can tolerate and even help newbies, but if someone decided to be a ****, it's all over for that world. 

I don´t understand why some people want even less death penalties than we have at the moment. I am totally with shian, I think the death penalties are rather not enough. 

If you don´t want to mess with the death of other players and no penalty for yourself, than there are other gamemodes for that!

In my opinion Survival is for players that want to play and survive together. Like the Singleplayer but together. And in comparison to the Singleplayer death is really easy to handle in DST! It´s idea was a hardcore survival game so it needs challanges. And therefore we have a survival mode with ONLY 3,3 sanity, why having even less consequences in death?

For people who wants this Klei has made different game mode. But a lot people want to play and survive together and help their friends so ghost sanity drop is not a problem but a nice challenge!

I still think ghosts should get a sanity aura rather than global sanity.  It doesn't make sense for you to lose sanity if someone far away died, does it?  How would you even know they died?

Global sanity drain is simply illogical.

Also, other DS Ghosts have an attack aura, so why don't the players follow the same logic?

And that's why we occasionaly have to remember: "It's a  game". It's not supposed to make sense and be concise all the time, just to be fun or serve it's purpose. Of course, it would be cool if everything made complete sense AND made a whole, interesting and entertaining game, But this is one of the few situations in life where entertainment is way above common sense(as in, killing people for entertainment is a very fun bad idea). 

Edit: but no, I don't really like the whole ghost thing mostly because it's easilier used for annoying hosts or bullying noobs than for actual cooperation.

Archived