[Suggestion] Renewable Bioluminescence

I thought for the longest time that the patches of bioluminescence in the ocean regrew. But on closer inspection, they don't... I confirmed that in the files the spawners remove themselves after making the first batch of bioluminescence. There's no other way that bioluminescence gets created.

If having it respawn in those patches is too overpowered, could we at least get it from trawling or something? Or maybe killing glowy squid that respawns or something (in real life, there are a lot of sea creatures, including squid, that provide a growing environment for Vibrio fischerii, a bioluminescent bacterium).

Was that a recent change? The wiki used to (at most a week ago) say that bioluminescence would respawn in a new location once it was used, but now it reflects what you said above (or did you change it?)

Trawl net doesn't really make sense IMO. What about a seasonal respawn, like up to 30% of the total originally generated is respawned, say in monsoon season (similar to flowers in spring, but much less abundant)? The spawners can be replaced in new random locations so that it always takes searching and doesn't make it a reliable resource.

Fireflies don't respawn. Why should bioluminescence? I'm not for it, especially since you get boat lanterns from the Yaarctopus. 

What if the fireflies respawned? Not a big deal imo. Would be nice to have a new good renewable light source that is specific to SW. Not like the lights make the game too easy.

@DwerBomb, Well, currently bioluminescence dies on land. But there could be another shallow-water biome like mangroves maybe?

Even better. Would make the sea a bit less empty

Actually there's a mushroom island, on the full moon they transform into mushtrees..

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/355022414045840565/C07089FAC9C8FE48DF2F27FC051955A6D5950279/

Yeah, but I was thinking of a shiny island, glowing thanks to bioluminescence and Mushroom trees. But then it would be game breaking, with the trees giving out free light.so I like the idea of a sea biome more

@SmokyProgg, You can actually get infinite fireflies by farming dubloons and playing the slot machine. And before they removed it because apparently it had issues on controllers, you could get fireflies from tumbleweeds...

I'm aware of the old availability from tumbleweeds and of getting them from the slot machine. I said they don't respawn, not that they aren't renewable.

I'm aware of the old availability from tumbleweeds and of getting them from the slot machine. I said they don't respawn, not that they aren't renewable.

I wouldn't call them renewable. I mean technically they are put on so low quantities that it doesn't even matter.

You need to get a 3 carrots which is rolled 50% each doubloon. Then there are 25 available drops. That said you would need over 50 doubloons to roll for 3 fireflies.

That's unbearable considering you need non-torch light in hurricane and monsoon season.

I think its not supposed to be infinitely available unless you world hop.

I'm actually fine with that, because the miners hat beats the boat lantern,torch and maybe also the bottle lantern in thair effectiveness. I also find bioluminescence very overrated, but that's just me. people want it to light up the sea at night. for what? since fireflies are now renewable I'll go full out on miners hats.

I bet you that a world will supply you with enough of that stuff to fully lighten up the swallow waters around your home island. It's just tricky to track down, but its certainly not as rare as people make it out to be.

Would be great if they stopped with limiting light sources and expand sanity mechanics instead.

Mid and late game should be more bright, we even pay the unkeep cost of keeping the lights up.

Add new mid/late game sanity threats instead of more of sit near fire place or get killed by darkness randomly in few hits.

Was that a recent change? The wiki used to (at most a week ago) say that bioluminescence would respawn in a new location once it was used, but now it reflects what you said above (or did you change it?)

That information from wiki was wrong from day 1. I picked an area far from my base clean and leave a backpack behind. Half a year later I went back to the spot and there wasn't any bioluminescence. Bioluminescence have never been renewable as far as I can tell.

Fireflies don't respawn. Why should bioluminescence? I'm not for it, especially since you get boat lanterns from the Yaarctopus. 

I would rather have bioluminescence from Yaarctopus. Save me from disposing used boat lanterns. Also that boat lantern from Yaarctopus only solve half the problem, player still need to craft new miner hats if bioluminescence remain nonrenewable as it is. Someone already pointed out that fireflies is only renewable in limited amount and ways so that is not the solution either.

Archived