[Shipwrecked] Wigfrid indirectly nerfed

BLM

Not having a Pig King is indirectly nerfing Wigfrid due to changing gold from an easily accessible resource [once you abduct... "locate" the Pig King] to a semi rare one based on rng on map generation .

I can't really count doubloons as the drop [semi-random] and exchange [x3] rates on them for a single gold nugget makes them exceptionally unreliable as a "source" of gold. 

Granted, this impacts other characters to varying degrees as well since gold is good for tools and misc, but 2 of Wigfrid's character features are gold based [helmet and spear] and they each have durability. While rocks are also technically a finite resource [for the helmet], they are also far more plentiful compared to gold.

I've ended up having to bypass both items early game and loading up on football helmets and hambats instead, but those are inferior substitutes for varying reasons [football helmets having much lower durability, hambats sharply losing dps over time, and can be difficult to get resources depending on world gen and island locations]. At least they're renewable though.

Thematically, not having a Pig King sort of makes sense with the "wild" bore idea [ie loners with no leaders], but I could see a jungle-based Wildbore Chief or something working too.

Not exactly complaining, just pointing out that the new system makes her special items much less appealing due to scarcity of gold. It feels a bit unfair to her since it impacts a base feature of her character.

Thanks.

BLM

The Yaarctopus (I think that's his name) will exchange raw fish or trinkets for gold nuggets, just like with the pig king.

True, but I believe he only does a single trade per day then goes to sleep?

Hardly the same thing as force-feeding a full stack of meat into the Pig King for the same number of gold nuggets.

I find it fair this DLC is meant to be harder (I hope it will get even harder) than ROG . You can still get enough gold to survive and build few helms and spears (not like in DS you can batch in gold :grin: and have infinitive helms/battle spears) . Just roam more if you need  gold .

I find it not only acceptable, but desireable for 2 reasons

1, wigfrid in standard dont starve is badly overpowered, with insane fighting hability, overpowered items and all that with little to no drawback, because you can bath in gold and feast on unlimited food in a game meant to be hard, so a nerf is welcome

2 the standard game is easy, with plenty of resources once you catch the mechanics of the game, shipwrecked is meant to be more difficult, its only logical that resources are more scarce, if that nerfs wigfrid, its just an interesting bonus, not a con

In DS/DST you can spend time and resource(gold/flint) packing the ice box full of food and let most of that food rot.

In shipwrecked however there is a limit to gold/flint production (Yaarctopus only accept 1 trade/day). Which means players have to be more careful in using their tools/weapon. How you get your item/resource and how many of it you are getting will affect how well you are able to conserve gold/flint.

Say for example,  the cost of a single cloth sail:

6 dubloons= 2 gold = 1 Luxury machete (400 use)= 66.67 Bamboo= 8.33 Cloth sail--> 4.165 sail/gold or 1.38 sail/ dubloon.

If you however make Seafood Gumbo (4 Mussels or 2 Fish + 2 Limpets) and offer it to Yaarctipus, you get 1 dubloon + 1 Cloth sail.

Things get even more complicated if you take the slot machine/luck/RNG into consideration. 

First lets consider in the long run how many gold nuggets can we expect from each 100 dubloons we spend on the slot machine:

a) "Three Carrots" (71.4% chance to roll): 1/22 prize selections give 1 gold nuggets.

That is 71.4% / 22 = 3.245% chance of getting 1 gold nugget.

b) "Three Gold Nuggets"  (14.3% chance to roll):  13/30 prize selections give 3 gold nuggets in it.

That is 14.3% * 13 / 30 = 6.197% chance of getting 3 gold nuggets.

So the answer is (3.245%*1 + 6.197%*3) * 100 = 21.836 Gold nuggets
If we however craft dubloons into gold nuggets, we get 33.33 Gold nuggets from 100 dubloons.

We will also have to consider the followings:

1) 14.3% Chance of "Three Skulls" lead to spawning monsters, which means in most cases player have to use gold/flint based weapon to deal with the monsters.

2) Most of the prize selection from the "Three Carrots" that have a 71.4 % chance to roll, does not worth the 1 dubloon. (e.g grass *5). 

3) "Three Gold Nuggets" has some interesting prize in the prize pool in addition to the 3 gold nugget mentioned above. These includes walking cane, feather hat,gears, gems and obsidians.

4) Unless you live in the Island where the slot machine is, you will have to haul your prize back to your base by sailing, which lead to cost in time and material.

So does it worth spending your hard earned dubloons on the slot machine? I would say it is worth it for the walking cane and feather hat.

True, but I believe he only does a single trade per day then goes to sleep?

Hardly the same thing as force-feeding a full stack of meat into the Pig King for the same number of gold nuggets.

Sure, but when do you actually need a new spear and/or helmet every day?

If we assume you use up a spear and helmet in 15 days, and get 1.5 gold nuggets a day, that's 22.5 gold nuggets you've gotten, which equates to 6x as many gold nuggets as you need at make the spear and helmet

Sure, but when do you actually need a new spear and/or helmet every day?

If we assume you use up a spear and helmet in 15 days, and get 1.5 gold nuggets a day, that's 22.5 gold nuggets you've gotten, which equates to 6x as many gold nuggets as you need at make the spear and helmet

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can only get 1 dubloon=1/3 of a nuggets each day from Yaarctopus. So once you have mined out all gold in the world its either that or use the teleportato. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can only get 1 dubloon=1/3 of a nuggets each day from Yaarctopus. So once you have mined out all gold in the world its either that or use the teleportato. 

You get between 2 and 9 dubloons, depending on what you give him.

You can also get thulecite items from slot machine, crown armor and weapon for 1 doubloon, if you do get that lucky roll, its worth 100 doubloons for sure, cuz its game breaking stuff and is not possible to get in any other way at the moment, so using doubloons for nuggets is a bad idea unless you just started and you missing 4th gold nugget for alchemy engine ^^

Ok my 140 days Wendy just die to some 12 sea hounds attack. I suppose I could have lived if I just keep sailing and take them out one at a time. 

Before I die I saved up 100 dubloon to test out that slot machine, but only get to use 43 duboon, the rest sink with my boat. (R.I.P Wendy)

I recorded the result from each game. LSFS: 4 "Three Skulls"(9.3%), 35 "Three Carrots"(81.3%) and 4 "Three Gold Nuggets"(7.54%)

Since the sample base is so small I'll say the result in general is not too far from expectation.

You think that 1% chance of getting a krampus sack is bad? Try getting a walking cane from the slot machine.

14.3%/30=0.476%, or 1 Walking cane from every 210 games.

Food is, which he will give you dubloons for.

1 dubloon only for any kind of food.

Archived