Volcano eruptions

So there are ice hounds(Monsoon season) and fire hounds(volcano season) but you don't really find them until year two and only when you are around base(land) for a while to make sure the sea hounds don't spawn instead.

I was blessed to find a dumbrella when exploring the seas. So I used it and a floral shirt and I only had to come on land once every few days.

Well, I only said that because other people have apparently made it through the season.  I quit that save after awhile because I was sure it was a bug, came here to report it, and found out it's apparently the intent.    Haven't managed to drag myself back in and try again yet.

Personally after I saw the waves it caused, I decided not to go the boat route.  At least on land the effect is localized.  Plus you get free bird morsels. 

Overall it's a good idea.  There were SO many complaints about combustion in RoG, I think it was a good idea for them to search for a different summer threat.  But as it stands I'd trade combustion, which is manageable.   Volcanoes are apparently entirely unmanageable right now. 

Even a sacrifice at the volcano won't be enough because it's easily something people won't find by the first season.  IF there is a buildable shrine, that MIGHT do the trick, as long as the requirements aren't too rare.   But really if they just toned it down a bit by making it not continuous the last few days, but still doubling the frequency when it does happen, that should be enough. 

It depends though, in this my longest world, I've only found one gear in a treasure chest, and if I didn't have that fridge there's no way I could get my thermal stone cold enough to last through the eruption without overheating.  If they bumped up the effectiveness of endo-firepits, so they can freeze the stone (though I haven't tried doing two endopits side-by-side yet) that might also be a suitable fridge replacement.  but I'm wondering if clockworks are meant to be as rare as they seem, or if I've just been unlucky.   Making the endo-campfire immune to meteors would also make it surviveable I think.

Now if I'd known in the past things would be like this I'd probably have pushed harder to get a melon ready (takes to long to set up when already in summer), or more gold for ice hats (probably slows you too much to  dodge the meteors, at least on land) or an ice amulet (no ice hounds though, so only source treasure chests?), but when you realize mid-season how badly you need those things, most of which depend on gold, and you didn't collect enough, it's rough. 

My next thought now that I know this is an intended mechanic and not a bug, is to take a stack of the ice I meticulously saved and see if that can push me through the last bit of the volcano storm when my thermal stone runs out.   But it's just really, really un-fun as it exists now, when combined with the rarity of most of the other materials to counter it. 

Well, yeah I lived through one of those seasons, so I am one of them and currently in my 2nd Volcano Season, but it is barely possible to survive it, if you have no idea what you are doing or not so used with "Ohh crap" situations in DS.

It is surely NO fun at all and it does ruin it for me completely.

I didn't think this was a bug, it seemed intentional, but it is way overdone and "broken" to be enjoyable, tbh and they should tone it down or as some suggested, make it possible to craft something similar to the ice flingomatic, which is shooting at the rocks, destroying them and maybe dropping minerals.

I also didn't know about the melon, as I used to be able to survive through Summer with a floral shirt, a thermal stone and a straw hat.

If I recall right, the melon adds up to your water level and I never liked that aspect of it, so I never even considered it XD.

Hrm, I would rather deal with combustion than with this overdone rock-attack :|...

It is easily handable, if you have access to gears and if you aren't staying in one area for too long or in a very important area, without flingomatic protection.

For me, Summer and Winter weren't a problem for me in RoG - I always hated Spring, though :p.

The Chestmonsters are currenlty hard to come by and they said they are trying to fix this and maybe also have gears being washed up ashore during the tides.

They answered that somewhere in the forums ^^.

I Found that having a walkin cane, a controller and a Pair of Headphones to work very well.

Walking Cane you can't get by making it at the moment, but if you gamble at the slots you could get one.

I say a controller cause you can Pull up the inventory screen with Right Trigger and pause the game. Giving you time to Look around and find that Shadow.

Headphones: Turn up the volume and listen. If you hear the sound all the way to the right or left you should be just fine. If you hear the sound from both the left and right  Run like hell. Good chance that's gonna land right next to you.

I find summer in this DLC much more harder than in Reign of Giants. Overheating, Volcano meteors, and One shotting death. I've yet to see smouldering. Might be a good thing. I haven't found a good use for the meteor shower yet other then Clearing out monkey island.

I Found that having a walkin cane, a controller and a Pair of Headphones to work very well.

Walking Cane you can't get by making it at the moment, but if you gamble at the slots you could get one.

I say a controller cause you can Pull up the inventory screen with Right Trigger and pause the game. Giving you time to Look around and find that Shadow.

Headphones: Turn up the volume and listen. If you hear the sound all the way to the right or left you should be just fine. If you hear the sound from both the left and right  Run like hell. Good chance that's gonna land right next to you.

I don't mean to offend, but it's not the best advice is it?

Buy a pair of headphones and/or controller (not everyone will have them), and rely on massive luck with the slot machine?

I'm sure it works. I'm just saying it's not exactly a viable solution/method to surviving. There are more efficient ways.

I don't mean to offend, but it's not the best advice is it?

Buy a pair of headphones and/or controller (not everyone will have them), and rely on massive luck with the slot machine?

I'm sure it works. I'm just saying it's not exactly a viable solution/method to surviving. There are more efficient ways.

Sure you don't need any of those. It's just I found that listening to where the meteror will land to be really useful. Especially because lot's of my Eruption seem to happen between dusk and night. I'm just saying if you have some of those things. Try em  out for yourself and see if it does help.

After browsing through prefab files and character quotes, I found out there will apparently be a point in the future where you can enter the volcano. I take it it's supposed to be SW's basic equivalent of a cave. But really hot. And probably not a wise place to set up a base in.

I think the main issues are the huge amounts of damage they do (shouldn't one-shot you), and the lack of visibility due to smoke. Even when it was relatively clear, I had trouble seeing the shadows. I could swear I was staring straight at my character before I got hit, and never saw a shadow.

So at volcano season 2 and after careful reconsideration. This season is bent on distruction and regardless of your skill level, luck plays a bigger part then any amount of preperation. I hate this and I think they need to rebalance things. I would be okay with ROG heat and lava occurring at the same percent chance as frog rain, where it is more likely to occur the longer you play

So at volcano season 2 and after careful reconsideration. This season is bent on distruction and regardless of your skill level, luck plays a bigger part then any amount of preperation. I hate this and I think they need to rebalance things. I would be okay with ROG heat and lava occurring at the same percent chance as frog rain, where it is more likely to occur the longer you play

Agreed.

I made it through the 2nd Volcano Season (currently on day 173) and it is hard enough, if you have to heavily prepare for the Monsoon / Flood Season, because you need tons of sandbags, to somehow counter the sandbag bug.

And after that comes the Volcano Season, where you then spent most of your time running around like a moron, at least in the last days.

As you pointed out correctly: Skill doesn't really matter in those last days, it is purely luck.

The only thing where skill helps you is, that you more or less know how to handle "ooh crap" situations in DS.

After browsing through prefab files and character quotes, I found out there will apparently be a point in the future where you can enter the volcano. I take it it's supposed to be SW's basic equivalent of a cave. But really hot. And probably not a wise place to set up a base in.

After everything I've been reading on this forum about the meteor showers (which I've yet to experience... oh joy!) I will be making a beeline for that volcano the moment I find it, and LIVING in it. That is one place the meteors are guaranteed NOT to land!

Once the eruption starts just sail in some direction non-stop (preferably shallow water so no extra waves in there) That's the best way I have found so far ... If anyone has a better idea share .....

Interesting that you alone of those commenting seem to have had few problems with the meteors this way. I've decided quite early on in the game that this is an ocean setting, and therefore you are expected to BE on the ocean - a great deal. So far all the seasons are easier out on the water, and that makes it logical to survive the meteor season too. 

I did quite a bit of exploring in hurricane season by using the wind and wave surf to speed up my boat; and in monsoon season, honestly a boat is the driest place to be! You can just come back to land briefly to dry out and cook up some food during the dry spells. Forget all this sandbag business, leave your camp to the puddles and the mosquitoes. It will dry out!

I think this is what we all need to do to turn this game around. Forget the way we did things before, in a land based game. We are now sailors! The sea is our friend. All it needs is a way to contain a fire on board ship, and dry seaweed to some form of grass/twigs replacement, and we need hardly ever come back to land!

Open the console, type:

GetWorld().components.volcanomanager:Stop()

To disable smoke:

GetWorld().components.volcanomanager:StopSmoke()

To restart whole component:

GetWorld().components.volcanomanager:StartDrySeason()

Have Fun.

I'm on day 61 (no erruption yet) and I'm not going back to it until this Volcano erruption business is fixed.

From everything I've been reading about it on these forums it sounds like it's broken. I refuse to spend however many in-game weeks soley running around avoiding falling rocks and watching as EVERYTHING is destoyed around me with no hope of doing ANYTHING else.

Alternatively, I might go to the Tall Bird island I found (literally 20 or so nests in quite a small biome on a rather small island) and run around there for a while, living off the birds as they drop meat from being hailed by the volcano. Although this could be suicide. Also it would be nice to have SOME Tall Bird nests left after Summer, I guess.

You should try it just to see how it works. I tried it and I died hehe. Go ahead and see how it is, quite interesting when you see it the first time but then not so much. You will probably start a new game at some point anyways, so might as well see what the fuss is about.

The constant falls late in the season, where the two cycles meet and you have to dodge rocks that fall literally one after another constantly. The second rock always falls mid-dodge from the first, on and on, making it very difficult to eat, let alone craft a torch or plan your next medium term move. You end up praying your boat will live long enough, and as gameplay it's simultaneously boring and relentless. If they just had one cycle of rocks with a gap between at least you could stop to make more gear and restock, even if the gaps only lasted a few minutes.

I decided to bite the bullet and continue with my day 61 game and brave my first volcano season. Talk about trial by fire! Anyway...

I crafted myself an Armored Boat (figured it'd be the boat out of the bunch to survive a hit), stocked up on Spear Guns for hunting Dogfish, Jerky, Fireflies and Bioluminescence for my Lantern, Boat Repair Kits and Thatched Sails. Grabbed my Summer Frest, Dumbrella (lucky find) and some Grass and Nitre for some Endothermic fires and headed off to my Summer camp on a near by (but not too near) island from where my main base is.

My plan being, stay in my boat, circling the outer reaches of the shallows surrounding my chosen island whilst the rocks/lava were falling, and only go on land to cool down and sleep in the Siesta Lean-to and Tent I'd made on day 50-something. All the island had on it was a small amount of grass, a couple of Palm trees, and most importantly, a Touch Stone. So if an eruption caught me out, it wouldn't do much damage to resouces. And if I died, wouldn't be teleported to the Touch Stone on my base's island.

After sleeping for the first 3 days or so after my first "That doesn't sound good" warning and thinking I was getting away with possibly sleeping through the eruptions (ha!), I awoke to a cload of ash and had just enough time to run to my boat and see it get smashed by the very first arriving rock/meteor!

"Oh **** " - I said to myself as I realised I might not have enough resources to actually make another boat to get off the island. Fortunately, a quick check of the crafting tab between eruptions confirmed I had exactly enough Bamboo, and 1 more vine than I needed to make a raft. For some reason, I decided to wait until after the eruptions had stopped completely before I'd make it though.

I spent the next what seemed like 7 - 10 days running laps around the very edge of the island (why did I pick such a small island?! It was literally only 2 and a half screens across, and a single sceen North to South), mostly overheating, and stopping to eat and cool down between eruptions. My structures were long gone.

Was all good though until there was no time between one eruption ending and the next one starting. Just as I thought I'd gotten used to the endless running and dodging, I noticed I was going to start starving soon. So, like an idiot, in the middle of falling rocks/lava, fires and overheating, I thought I'd try to quickly eat a piece of (now stale) jerky, just to hold off the health-drain of starvation for a few more minutes.

And that's when it hit me.

Resurrected. Escaped the shadow of an impending second death as the animation from the Touch Stone finished up, and almost cried as i saw what appeared to be my backpack and most of my items, burning... :snarlingspider:

Then the eruptions stopped. Fantastic timing! Like it's work was finally done or something. As if it'd only intended going on as long as I was staying alive. As I started to think I'd made it, the stark reality of my belongings being torched hit me. I have no resources to craft a boat. Not on me. Not on the island. Everything is gone. I'm stranded.

So that's the tale of my first Summer in SW and how it left me on a lifeless spit of land with no hope of leaving and nothing but some rocks, a lot of scorch marks, plenty of ash, and the silk from my destoyed Tent and lean-to.

TL;DR - Summer is harsh.

So you got shipwrecked while being shipwrecked. Mind. blown. :D

Honestly summer season is hard but nothing undoable, player skill and tactic plays a big role.

First of all you must have enough of stuff before day 60, by that i mean several armored boats, sails, plenty food, ice, clothes, and meat effigy (placed on corner of your main base island)

Second the season is designed to keep you at sea , so if you try to stay on the ground, you will probably die.

Find ballphines and stay in the middle of them, if you can, try to lead them closer to an island but not to close, ballphines absorb incoming waves after meteor hit water.

The only possible problem is sharks showing up in the middle of meteor shower, thats why you sail not to far from the land. If they show up, you run for the island, which should be beach, you dont wanna run in the jungle... or well unless you want it to burn down.

Jump off your boat and head a bit further so you dont see your boat, if your unlucky your boat can get destroyed, but thats why you have another one ready :-) Once meteor shower stops, deal with sharks and your summer hard part is over... stay in the sea til the end of the season .

Open the console, type:

GetWorld().components.volcanomanager:Stop()

[etc.]

Have Fun.

This is cheating.

I'm a cheater, I looked up into lua files.

For those who want to know all Shipwrecked food recipes:

I hope I summed up all info correctly.
Source: data\DLC0002\scripts\preparedfoods.lua

*COUGH* *COUGH* ;P

Sure but it's also boring, frustrating and stupid, do you have solution for that?

Well after 300 something days the game becomes boring frustrating and stupid.. so my solution is usually switch character or play other games.

Right now i decided to try shipwrecked with WX 78 and im recording it, gonna post vid as soon as i get over summer =) but its only day 9 now :D 

Archived