Volcano eruptions

I'm gonna start that playing DSS is great but volcano eruptions are ridiculous.

I got hit once and died, ok my fault, it's instakill. I got back because I had my touchstone and I got hit after I gain control over my character and I died again. I had my second touchstone so I revive and again I saw shadow over my character. I looked with terror in my eyes how my character survived because animation didn't end.

Shouldn't those eruptions work also as meteorite showers in DST? So we could get renewable source of rocks, flint and nitre? I mean, there should be areas where you will have those rocks falling during that season, but also you should have somekind of safe spot. If you survive few seasons like this there will be nothing left, because it's destroying whole islands and forests. I had to pick one empty island and leave there until eruptions end. It's just like summer in DS but worse because you can loose structures and you can overheat (It was hard to build endothermic fire because it was destroyed a moment after you placed it.). I will not write about that I lost two ships because they got hit directly when I was on shore. Can happen.

What you guys think? They should add bunkers or something?

The player is just so helpless during volcano season. In the base game and RoG, all the "big bosses" could at least be fought in some way. It was next to impossible unless you knew what you were doing and were well-prepared, but they could be dealt with. All we can do from the volcano is make sure you're not by your base/anything you don't want destroyed, basically meaning we're taking advantage of the way the game mechanics work (everything not near the player stays in stasis), not actually fighting against the "boss" or even preparing for it in any realistic way.

But what would make this better? I'm not really sure. Sacrificing something to the volcano gods? (A bunch of food? A craftable virgin effegy? Dubloons?) An actual visible volcano that can be avoided or intentionally explored for rare but dangerous loot? Bunkers of some sort?

(Just saw the replies about obsidian caves.) Looking forward to seeing what they're all about!

The player is just so helpless during volcano season. In the base game and RoG, all the "big bosses" could at least be fought in some way. It was next to impossible unless you knew what you were doing and were well-prepared, but they could be dealt with. All we can do from the volcano is make sure you're not by your base/anything you don't want destroyed, basically meaning we're taking advantage of the way the game mechanics work (everything not near the player stays in stasis), not actually fighting against the "boss" or even preparing for it in any realistic way.

But what would make this better? I'm not really sure. Sacrificing something to the volcano gods? (A bunch of food? A craftable virgin effegy? Dubloons?) An actual visible volcano that can be avoided or intentionally explored for rare but dangerous loot? Bunkers of some sort?

(Just saw the replies about obsidian caves.) Looking forward to seeing what they're all about!

Agreed.

I am currently stuck in the "Volcano Season" and at first I found it entertaining, but now I am near the end of the seaoson and trapped on an island without anything on it anymore (i.e. no food, no trees, etc.), because it destroys everything AND it is NON-STOP.

It just WON'T stop x_X....

If you survive one wave of it, before it even ends you get the message of the next rumbling, i.e. the next wave coming.

Maybe a craftable shelter would fix this, like a bomb shelter, where you can stay in and it has light?

Because it is very shitty, if you are running around in the dark, with only a torch because the falling rocks destroy any fire you make <.<, and this smoke everywhere and the only thing you can hope for is: Seeing it early enough to run away.

*RUMBLE* "Whaa--------" *SPLUT*. If a volcano boulder is going to land on you, no matter how fast you react, it will kill you. VOLCANO SEASON SUCKS! It's not that its hard and I can't play it right, its just unplayable. All of a sudden there is like a 3 minute volcano shower every 1-2 days! If night comes, 5/10 says you will just have your camp fire knocked out by falling rocks or be doused by %90 submerged islands. Untill this volcano thing gets changed, I am going to almost stop playing this game.

I believe it's easier to survive the eruptions by moving away from the land and surviving on sea with repair kits and keeping yourself focused on dodging. You get also screen shake warnings too, so you can prepare to move away from your base.

I got screwed that volcanic eruption cycle was duplicated somewhere in timeline. Really hard to dodging now..

I believe it's easier to survive the eruptions by moving away from the land and surviving on sea with repair kits and keeping yourself focused on dodging. You get also screen shake warnings too, so you can prepare to move away from your base.

i agree that this volcanic season needs to be reworked. The constant dodging is not fun and even worst is the destruction of resources.

As i said in another topic (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59927-volcanic-eruption-suggestion-and-constructive-criticism/), would be nice if instead of so many eruptions we had to deal with volcanic ash instead, that would affect our health and/or sanity or something like that.

I'm glad that there are people who agree on this. 

Didn't heard about caves though.

*RUMBLE* "Whaa--------" *SPLUT*. If a volcano boulder is going to land on you, no matter how fast you react, it will kill you.

Sometimes you can stay in range and that bothers me a bit because things around me get hit and I can see ground animation that does nothing to me. Just like Beager smash attack.

All of a sudden there is like a 3 minute volcano shower every 1-2 days! If night comes, 5/10 says you will just have your camp fire knocked out by falling rocks or be doused by %90 submerged islands.

Also this. When the season was ending frequency was so big that it was one eruption after another.

As i said in another topic (http://forums.kleien...tive-criticism/), would be nice if instead of so many eruptions we had to deal with volcanic ash instead, that would affect our health and/or sanity or something like that.

This is great idea, something like your plants on farms dying or something. Sanity drain could be cool too.

You should have to make stone walls around your sand bags to protect from lava flows burning your **** down.

first flooding , then magma ..   at least you would have a goal for the hot season other than just dodging rocks .

i dont think much thought was put into the late game ...

but this is early access soooo.

i hope they give the sandbox player more to do.  

if this game is just about racing to the finish line then its not the game i thought i was buying.

i want an endless survival where i have the potential to thrive once i have my bearings ( like the previous games )

i hope this comes to multiplayer.  but if serious changes arent made.   NOone will care. 

I wonder if there is a difference if you are close or far from the volcano during the eruption . Apart from that the way I deal with it is what Jacklul suggested . The warning time is more than enough to get ready for the eruption in my opinion .

i hope they fix that because it shiti like the summer and is unfair maybe they taste it whit a good gear and all preparation but hey you cant get all the stuff that fast or the best at least not the most of the people, and im agreed abouth you can see a fisical volcano and avoid hin and like the meteors it just should be in one specific biom not every where, come on is not a super huge volcano that can destroy all the map >:V well it is for now i hope they fix they, but is the same hope that wait for the fix of the summer

What we need is a gunpowder flingomatic! Gears, rope, gunpowder, and some boards maybe to create it. Place it in your base, and as rocks come to fall from the sky on your base, the Gunpowder Flingomatic shoots them out of the sky causing it to break up into bits causing a similar effect cave ins have in vanilla/RoG.

There is an actual, visible volcano, but I don't know if being near it when it erupts helps any.

i hope they fix that because it shiti like the summer and is unfair maybe they taste it whit a good gear and all preparation but hey you cant get all the stuff that fast or the best at least not the most of the people, and im agreed abouth you can see a fisical volcano and avoid hin and like the meteors it just should be in one specific biom not every where, come on is not a super huge volcano that can destroy all the map >:V well it is for now i hope they fix they, but is the same hope that wait for the fix of the summer

I have to say, I find Summer rather easy... well, I don't have any kind of problems with any of the seasons, really, unless I start in Spring, but if I come around to Spring later on = No problem, same for Summer.

You can at LEAST prepare yourself for Summer and protect yourself from the heat, if you are doing it right, unlike against those darn falling rocks.

I did survive it, somehow, probably because the last day of Volcano Season was a full moon night x_x (currently being at day 87).

As said before: I find them entertaining, if such a rock fall woulf occur every 3-5 days or so.

This gives you time to breathe inbetween, get food, gather supplies, explore a bit, but not too far (depends on your playstyle or the islands you come across) - just like hound attacks.

The only problem for me was the hounds + falling rocks... thank god that I was on a monkey island and they took care of each other :p.

So far, I am not too fond of Valcono Season (too many rocks) and Flood Season (too much water EVERYWHERE and the sand bags won't even suck up the water, if you placed them afterwards or no other way to dry an area that is saved with sand bags afterwards).

Both are a bit too much and too extreme, though I am totally in love with Hurricane Season <3... maybe because I love thunderstorms and, at least for me, they did a good job delivering such a feeling :).

I wonder if there is a difference if you are close or far from the volcano during the eruption . Apart from that the way I deal with it is what Jacklul suggested . The warning time is more than enough to get ready for the eruption in my opinion .

I've been to two VERY VERY VERY far places of the map, where you are doesn't really affect how the eruption. And when it comes to the warning time, how do you get ready? If its at night then you will have to blindly run around with a torch/lantern hoping a rock will not fall on you. At day... well it's the same case except you just get a little heads-up.

I'm on day 61 (no erruption yet) and I'm not going back to it until this Volcano erruption business is fixed.

From everything I've been reading about it on these forums it sounds like it's broken. I refuse to spend however many in-game weeks soley running around avoiding falling rocks and watching as EVERYTHING is destoyed around me with no hope of doing ANYTHING else.

Alternatively, I might go to the Tall Bird island I found (literally 20 or so nests in quite a small biome on a rather small island) and run around there for a while, living off the birds as they drop meat from being hailed by the volcano. Although this could be suicide. Also it would be nice to have SOME Tall Bird nests left after Summer, I guess.

I've been to two VERY VERY VERY far places of the map, where you are doesn't really affect how the eruption. And when it comes to the warning time, how do you get ready? If its at night then you will have to blindly run around with a torch/lantern hoping a rock will not fall on you. At day... well it's the same case except you just get a little heads-up.

Armored boat with a cloth sail (because it's the fastest) some food and a lantern . Once the eruption starts just sail in some direction non-stop (preferably shallow water so no extra waves in there) That's the best way I have found so far ... If anyone has a better idea share .....

Armored boat with a cloth sail (because it's the fastest) some food and a lantern . Once the eruption starts just sail in some direction non-stop (preferably shallow water so no extra waves in there) That's the best way I have found so far ... If anyone has a better idea share .....

I have been doing that... but I am not playing until it's fixed/changed. It's just so no t fun I don't want to play it now.  :frown-new:

I'm on day 61 (no erruption yet) and I'm not going back to it until this Volcano erruption business is fixed.

From everything I've been reading about it on these forums it sounds like it's broken. I refuse to spend however many in-game weeks soley running around avoiding falling rocks and watching as EVERYTHING is destoyed around me with no hope of doing ANYTHING else.

Alternatively, I might go to the Tall Bird island I found (literally 20 or so nests in quite a small biome on a rather small island) and run around there for a while, living off the birds as they drop meat from being hailed by the volcano. Although this could be suicide. Also it would be nice to have SOME Tall Bird nests left after Summer, I guess.

Summer already happened to me (roughly day 50). Terrible, Not playing until the volcano sh*t is fixed. Going to the tallbirds is a bad idea, a lot of things will burn, it's not pretty.

There is an actual, visible volcano, but I don't know if being near it when it erupts helps any.

Woops! I did not know that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

So far, I am not too fond of Valcono Season (too many rocks) and Flood Season (too much water EVERYWHERE and the sand bags won't even suck up the water, if you placed them afterwards or no other way to dry an area that is saved with sand bags afterwards).

Apparently fencing puddles IN with sandbags is the best way to go? That should not be how sandbags work.

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes made in the next update!

Summer already happened to me (roughly day 50). Terrible, Not playing until the volcano sh*t is fixed. Going to the tallbirds is a bad idea, a lot of things will burn, it's not pretty.

Fair enough. I won't do that then. Unless I get annoyed and think it'll offer up some catharsis. :devilish:

Yeah, I very much doubt I'm going to continue that run until the volcano has been tweaked though, sadly.

Oh well. I'm just thankful we've had the chance to tell Klei about this and get it sorted before full release.

Archived