Volcano eruptions

Got through my first Volcano season, no death or causalities to my structures. 

The key to surviving it is to stay at sea, don't go on land. As soon as the volcano starts going haywire, you are a dedicated sailor for the rest of the season.

The meteors can't damage your health if they land in water. They can land directly on you but don't cause damage, just waves that will damage your boat and make you wet. You can easily live off of seaweed, and go back to your base in between eruptions if need be (I did it a few times to repair my ice-cube to stay cool and cook food).

I was playing as Maxwell though, which is a huge advantage because his sanity regen completely negates the drain from wetness. I'd assume sanity would be a larger problem for other characters because of waves and stuff, but aside from that the meteors are nearly harmless if you're at sea.

It seems like the idea of the Volcano season is to basically evict you from your camp and force you to survive at sea. It's a good idea, but the issue is there is no depth to it at all other than dodging meteors every few minutes. It's boring.

I'll bring my two cents:

Summer has always been problematic in RoG, because the season essentially lacked "fun new elements" that winter and spring brought, while adding a painful twist on top of it. In RoG, it was the obligatory flingo, and the enitre season revolved around one concept: get your flingo and idle at base.

Fortunately, it's also possible to spend summer in caves in RoG, which I almost always do, which turns Summer into "the cave season".

In SW, it's worse. The falling rocks is a constant threat that forces you away from THE ENTIRE GAME. It forces you away from your base, or even land for that matter, since it will wreck everything around you. It's tedious, it's boring, it's unfair and you can't even skip it by sleeping. You will be spending 10+ days dodging rocks at sea, instead of exploring or tending to your base.

Here's the thing: what's good about seasons is their exclusive content. RoG has both seasonal mobs and assets: Giants, Pengulls, Rabbits, McTusk, even Glaciers, Birchnuts, Lureplants... A good season should add content, rather than force you away from content. RoG Summer wasn't fun for its lack of new mobs/stuff, and summer in SW has the same problem: it's all punishment and no fun

I'm writing this after dying in three of my playthroughs. Guess what got me ? The instant rock of death

A good season should add content, rather than force you away from content.

THIS

EDIT: i feel like these meteors are there just so you wont notice that summer in SW doesn't bring ANYTHING NEW to gameplay and you don't even have time to realise that summer is boring because you need to dodge meteors 24/7 :/

Look, KLei. Volcano season is really bad and you need to change it.

I went into it with no prior knowledge of what is going to happen. All of the sudden, my base and all of my resources were in ruins and there was nothing I could do about it.

You decided to destroy dozens of hours of work I put into my base with out a way for me to do something about it. That's not fun.

And for all people saying: "You need to run away from your base so it doesn't get smashed... bla bla...", NO!!! That is bad game design. And it is certainly not fun. They need to rework summer so I can stay in my base and give me a way to protect it from the elements.

And keep that in mind for future content KLei (or who ever makes your games now). Design your game so that I always have a way to deal with every situation. Also, destroying my hard work (in your game) in an unfair way is NOT FUN!

Look, KLei. Volcano season is really bad and you need to change it.

I went into it with no prior knowledge of what is going to happen. All of the sudden, my base and all of my resources were in ruins and there was nothing I could do about it.

You decided to destroy dozens of hours of work I put into my base with out a way for me to do something about it. That's not fun.

And for all people saying: "You need to run away from your base so it doesn't get smashed... bla bla...", NO!!! That is bad game design. And it is certainly not fun. They need to rework summer so I can stay in my base and give me a way to protect it from the elements.

And keep that in mind for future content KLei (or who ever makes your games now). Design your game so that I always have a way to deal with every situation. Also, destroying my hard work (in your game) in an unfair way is NOT FUN!

It would seem the sole purpose of the season is to get you out of your base and exploring the sea, I doubt the concept will change too drastically. Once the whole volcano caves and appeasing the fire god thing is implemented though, it might be different.

Personally I have no problem with the concept. There should be something to keep you from being a sitting duck all year at your camp, especially when there's more islands to explore. I just wish there was more to do than dodge fires every few minutes.

It would seem the sole purpose of the season is to get you out of your base and exploring the sea, I doubt the concept will change too drastically. Once the whole volcano caves and appeasing the fire god thing is implemented though, it might be different.

Personally I have no problem with the concept. There should be something to keep you from being a sitting duck all year at your camp, especially when there's more islands to explore. I just wish there was more to do than dodge fires every few minutes.

Then again, exploring would be better achieved by offering season-exclusive content rather than arbitrarily destroying all your ****.

In normal DS even with a "punishing" mechanic like freezing and long nights, exploring during Winter is still a thing thanks to new mobs/behavior

Summer in SW could be the exploration season thanks to longer days, but right now it's just annoying

In my playthrough, I went from a nomadic lifestyle in the first 3 seasons to being a sitting duck at and around a barren island when volcano eruptions started.

Wasn't hard to survive with all the food, straw rolls, boat repair kits I prepared beforehand... it was just... long.

Also, has anybody noticed the sound fireballs make when falling? Listening to that gave me the approximate location and proximity of where the fireball was crashing at roughly 2.5-3 secs ahead compared to the shadow being 1 sec ahead of the crash. I have a 7.1 surround headset, dunno if stereo gives the same sound clues.

Falling rocks of doom don't particularly inspire me to explore.  In fact, my response is to do the exact opposite.  I want to be close to somewhere I know I can grab much-needed supplies and respite in the downtimes.  I don't want to risk either being stuck out in the open sea with nowhere of use to go, nor the annihilation of good resource biomes.  Much like in RoG, I prefer to explore when things are at their calmest, where I don't have to worry about an errant lightning strike or smoldering fire (or, in SW's case, volcano rocks) wiping out resources around me.

The only time I actively enjoyed the rock shower was when I used to wipe out my Monkey Hell island.  But by that point, I may have gone slightly revenge mad towards the little beasts :mrgreen:

I have to disagree.

I went through 2 Volcano Seasons, i.e. Summer, now and the worst thing that one could do would sail around, believe me I tried it XD.

It was way easier to dodge them on land, especially with the constant smoke, fire crafting needed, the need to stay cool and the protection from the shark hounds (I find normal Hounds way easier).... not to mention that "raw" seaweed will make your sanity drop as well.

Yes, the insanitiy drop you get from getting too wet is not really a good thing either, so Maxwell might be the character that is possible to survive best out at sea when the constant rocks are falling down XD.

The other seasons, for me, are the ones that would serve the purpose for you to sail around, ESPECIALLY the Flood/Monsoon Season, where the darn mosquitos are everywhere inland.

Then again, exploring would be better achieved by offering season-exclusive content rather than arbitrarily destroying all your ****.

In normal DS even with a "punishing" mechanic like freezing and long nights, exploring during Winter is still a thing thanks to new mobs/behavior

Summer in SW could be the exploration season thanks to longer days, but right now it's just annoying

^This so much.

Even in the RoG Summer and Winter it is super possible to walk around and explore just fine, as long as you can keep yourself cool or warm enough and that can easily be done by creating fire pits (of both) along the way in Spring and/dor Autumn, which also gives you a bit more space in your inventory.

Plus, you can always pre-built the endothermic ones (and of course the normal ones), if something gets too heated - no pun intended XD.

But in this Summer season you have NO way to protect yourself from it.

I saw a lot of people complaining about combustion in RoG... really ... I find that not so bad, as I avoid areas that I don't want to go up in flames, if I didn't protect them with an Ice Flingo already, and just walk somewhere else or focus on gathering rocks or whatnot.

Here now, all I can do is run around and hope for the best and that no meteor will one-hit and kill me x_X....

Archived