Venom Feedback.

Although I like this mechanic being added to the game I think the cure is way to hard to obtain. In my two 6-12 day runs I have run into one gold rock, 2 coral reefs miles away from the source of the venom, and very few venom glands dropping... Traveling around on rafts takes a long while, and farming up food to stave off the venom while searching for the ingredients to make a science machine and then the cure itself becomes a fruitless fulltime job. Both times I got poisoned I dragged it out over a 6-7 day period and what got me both times was a combination of me running out of supplies to make replacement rafts, so I could go on searching for gold and coral reefs, and food to keep my health up. First time I got poisoned it was a yellow spider, was surprised venom had been added then, second time was a stealthy poisonous snake that bit me as I passed by a bush, first time I saw a poisonous snake to. For me during these two runs finding the cure became like finding Eldorado... A mirage on the horison... So is there any chance we could turn a few dials? Increase some spawn rates? Maybe lower the tech tree position of the cure? Or maybe the poison could run its course if you are able to stay alive a few days, after all it will cost you in food to maintain your health so maybe this is punishent enough if you manage to stay alive?

This reaction comes up all the time from delayed-death mechanics in other games (DOTA for example). If the poisonous snakes were simply very strong and usually one-shotted you, you'd hardly complain but it is much more painful that the game makes you live with the fact that you'll probably die for some time.

But actually, it's more merciful than a one shot because you still have a chance to live, however slim that might be.

I like it actually. As jacklul said just don't get poisoned, or try to procure antivenom early so you always have it on hand.

I think the poisoning does last way too long.  It's ridiculous for a snake that takes 2-4 hits to kill to be able to poison you for that long in the game.  It should be something to be feared but it should only be allowed to either take off a certain percentage of your health down to one percent or peter off in 1 or 2 full days.

I think the poisoning does last way too long.  It's ridiculous for a snake that takes 2-4 hits to kill to be able to poison you for that long in the game.  It should be something to be feared but it should only be allowed to either take off a certain percentage of your health down to one percent or peter off in 1 or 2 full days.

That's how these types of snakes are in the real world though. No doubt I could kill a cobra relatively easily, but that doesn't mean I won't get bit and possibly die as a result.

Alternate solution: Play as webber to diminish the risk of poison spiders. Although I do agree venom lasting forever is a bit extreme, in my webber playthrough I'm on day 30 still going strong and I've been poisoned numerous times. I found a swamp with poison geysers that drop venom glands when dug up. That, plus coral reefs, plus various seaweed patches allowed for me to recover from poison fairly quickly. Also, a great way to prevent poison is by wearing a gas mask, it does wonders. But on my wilson playthrough I did die of venom due to a lack of all that was previously mentioned.

Alternate solution: Play as webber to diminish the risk of poison spiders. Although I do agree venom lasting forever is a bit extreme, in my webber playthrough I'm on day 30 still going strong and I've been poisoned numerous times. I found a swamp with poison geysers that drop venom glands when dug up. That, plus coral reefs, plus various seaweed patches allowed for me to recover from poison fairly quickly. Also, a great way to prevent poison is by wearing a gas mask, it does wonders. But on my wilson playthrough I did die of venom due to a lack of all that was previously mentioned.

Webber is immune to the venom? :o

It's particularly annoying since (when I tested) the poison dart or interactions between venomous enemies and non-venomous enemies the venom wears off after a short while. Long is one thing, indefinite is another, at present the biggest issue is where resources are is still being discovered, and the long transit times that can exist between islands makes it much harder to secure even basic level resources for mid-level sustainability.

That's how these types of snakes are in the real world though. No doubt I could kill a cobra relatively easily, but that doesn't mean I won't get bit and possibly die as a result.

There is a difference from a real life point and a gameplay point, however. I'm pretty sure that if a giant (in real life) swiped you you would be dead automatically, even if you had armor. :p

A problem for me especially is with framerate, sofar for some reason SW is giving me terribly low framerates and graphic settings aren't changing anything, things like the blood overlay and now this poison effect make the framerates even worse for me, to the point the game begins to have serious hiccups, one major problem for me is for some reason under the levels of fps drop I get it seems to somehow effect movement speed, as even when walking directly away from an attacking hound for instance normally you'd be able to avoid his bite, but with the fps suffer I have I can't escape a single bite.

The venom spider caught me off guard! D: I do like how venom works, although I do wish they would increase the drop chance of the venom gland. I spent so long trying to get it that I ended up dying anyway because leaving the island to get coral would cut me off from my then needed constant supply of butterflies. I had a touch stone, but I later died due to my boat torch running out. I got those lobsters though! :grin:

It should be hard to get a cure, imagine yourself at this situation.

Just don't get yourself poisoned.

Hard not to get poisoned when gold stones are guarded by venomous spiders and venomous snakes jumps out at you from bushes. My reaction speed is due to illness very reduced and I have little chance to react to snakes suddenly spawning right on top of me... :wilson_worried:

I-I don't even know...  I didn't even know that spiders were poisonus. At least, the same black ones. I haven't even SEEN any other spiders except the black ones!

The shipwrecked version of the yellow warrior spiders that come from tier 2+ spider dens are venomous. 

Hard not to get poisoned when gold stones are guarded by venomous spiders and venomous snakes jumps out at you from bushes. My reaction speed is due to illness very reduced and I have little chance to react to snakes suddenly spawning right on top of me... :(

Watch out for the bushes that shake and make hissing sounds. Those will spawn snakes when you approach them during the day (I'm not yet sure how they work during dusk and night.) The "quiet" vines should be okay for harvesting.

Hope this helps somehow.

Watch out for the bushes that shake and make hissing sounds. Those will spawn snakes when you approach them during the day (I'm not yet sure how they work during dusk and night.) The "quiet" vines should be okay for harvesting.

Hope this helps somehow.

During dusk the snakes will come out of the bushes, they will also stay out at night and return back to their bushes at daybreak.

It's worth adding on this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59898-the-solution-is-here-how-to-combat-poison/

The user states the seashell armor blocks poison - tried it out myself just now, took several hits from the poisonous snakes with no poisoning (Also, the armor is pretty damn good, armor + football helm when attacked by a snake takes off 2 health, definitely making this game a bit more survivable.

At dusk, do they still only come out of the shaking bushes? Or do all bushes become unapproachable?

Err, I'm actually not sure. I kinda thought they only come out of the shaking bushes, but it feels more like there's too many snakes all the time for that to be the case. I'll have to test that out.

Thanks!

Alright, it looks like they only come out of the shaking bushes! I had a very clear view on two bushes, and one was shaking. I waited until it was Dusk, and it turns out, every 3-4 IRL seconds, a snake will appear from the shaking bushes, whether they are on screen or not. Four snakes appears to be the maximum no. that there can be from any singular bush.

Archived