Poison Gland

And the poison snake is a random variation of snake, and the snakes are random encounters from trees and vines, making it an incredibly inconsistent and unreliable find.  And then when you do luck into one after a couple days of dedicated full-time searching, the monkeys steal it.

Same issue. Poison will last until you die, it seems. I have only found one poison gland so far. I don't think the poison mechanic should be changed. I personally like the challenge the poison effect adds, but I definitely think poison glands should be a much more common drop from poison snakes.

As has already been pointed out the venom drops from several mobs. Yellow snakes, yellow spiders and Stinkrays.

So far stinkrays seem to be the most reliable method for getting it as they have a set spawning area and there are always a few there and if you're already poisoned you don't have much to worry about when fighting them because the poison doesn't stack and they're not that strong.

That being said I think it's a bit much that it seems to last forever. I think they should either reduce the damage a little bit more (and maybe make the poison effect less damn obnoxious). Or make it wear off after a full day (or two - which possibly it does. I've never gone too long with it before finding the antivenom)

As has already been pointed out the venom drops from several mobs. Yellow snakes, yellow spiders and Stinkrays.

So far stinkrays seem to be the most reliable method for getting it as they have a set spawning area and there are always a few there and if you're already poisoned you don't have much to worry about when fighting them because the poison doesn't stack and they're not that strong.

That being said I think it's a bit much that it seems to last forever. I think they should either reduce the damage a little bit more (and maybe make the poison effect less damn obnoxious). Or make it wear off after a full day (or two - which possibly it does. I've never gone too long with it before finding the antivenom)

Or perhaps, like Minecraft, have it so that the poison itself can't kill you, but does drop you to your minimum health (IE, 1%).

This keeps the element of danger (since literally any hit will kill you instantly), but does allow for a kind of "survival hail mary" if you are extremely careful and find an antivenom before taking a hit.

So I got poisoned by a spider..

I choped down every tree and "spider bushes" on 3 islands... encountred 2 venomus spiders. Got no gland. I picked every seeweed inbetween these 3 islands to keep me alive. But it wasn't enough.

After 2 almoste 3 days being poisoned I died.

The venom gland is way to rare and venomus sakes are way to rare. 3 Islands sweept clean and only encouter 2 venomus spiders and no gland.

This needs a rework.

I did not know about the rays will try and hunt them next time

I prefer the idea of poison being able to kill you if you go long enough without finding an antidote, because it's sort of weird for this deadly poison to never directly kill you no matter how long you're poisoned or how many times you get envenomated. Even if it does make it so you can die from a spider sneezing on you. I like the 'reduces HP to 1' thing, I'm just not sure how to implement it while still making poison a thing you can die from in its own right, at least not without making things needlessly convoluted.

Also, if it instantly reduced your health to 1 that would actually get you killed even faster than continuous poison damage in practice. Unless it was short-lived, but that seems like it would be even more dependent on being able to find antivenom reliably and quickly.

In HL2 your HEV suit came with the antidote for poison headcrab venom (it just took a bit of time to administer, making that an opportunity for other enemies to kill you), so I don't think that's a fair comparison. Minecraft, sure, but you don't have power armour with internal medical systems in Don't Starve.

I got poisoned as woodie in werebeaver form so I just stayed a beaver thinking the poison would wear off.  It never did.  I was a beaver for four days and then I turned back to woodie to try to get the poison gland I had gotten from a spider kill but it had blown away and I died.  The poison lasts waaaay too long, the effects for the poison are super annoying, and the regular spider glands were not blowing away so I don't know why the poison glands didn't stay put.

the easy way to get venom is digging poisonois hole at swamp. but you can kill stingray too and yelllow snake, just make sure dont get hit hahaha. and always bring extra antivenom with your journey since you dont know when will you got hit :D

I went through the files and dug up the specs. Everything that can poison you can also give you a Venom Gland:

• Poison Holes in the swamps can be dug with a Shovel, removing them permanently and with a 50% chance of yielding a Venom Gland.
  • Poison Snakes have a 14.2% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (or 56.8% Monster Meat, 28.4% Snake Skin, 0.57% (not a typo) Snake Oil). They won't show up until day 4, and can come from Jungle Trees or rustling Viney Bushes.
    • When spawning a snake from a Viney Bush, there's a 25% chance it will be Poison.
    • The mechanics of Jungle Trees are confusing, but the final numbers for rolls on snakes (large trees can roll two snakes) are as follows: 12.5% Snake, 6.25% Poison Snake (meaning 81.25% no snake per roll).
  • Stink Rays have a 33.3% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (or 66.7% Monster Meat).
  • Poison Mosquitos have a 25% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (and 50% Yellow Mosquito Sack).
  • Spider Warriors have a 25% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (or 50% Monster Meat, 25% Silk), and never drop Spider Glands.
  • There's also a Poison Frog, but I don't know how to encounter it without spawning one directly (probably isn't active yet). An implementation error prevents it from actually dropping Venom Glands, but it's clear that it's supposed to have a 50% chance to drop alongside the 100% chance for Frog Legs. (Devs: to fix this, line 128 in frog.lua is currently calling LootDropper:AddRandomLoot when it ought to be calling AddChanceLoot.)

The moral of the story is: if you're around a source of poison, you're also around a cure for that poison.

I went through the files and dug up the specs. Everything that can poison you can also give you a Venom Gland:

• Poison Holes in the swamps can be dug with a Shovel, removing them permanently and with a 50% chance of yielding a Venom Gland.
  • Poison Snakes have a 14.2% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (or 56.8% Monster Meat, 28.4% Snake Skin, 0.57% (not a typo) Snake Oil). They won't show up until day 4, and can come from Jungle Trees or rustling Viney Bushes.
    • When spawning a snake from a Viney Bush, there's a 25% chance it will be Poison.
    • The mechanics of Jungle Trees are confusing, but the final numbers for rolls on snakes (large trees can roll two snakes) are as follows: 12.5% Snake, 6.25% Poison Snake (meaning 81.25% no snake per roll).
  • Stink Rays have a 33.3% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (or 66.7% Monster Meat).
  • Poison Mosquitos have a 25% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (and 50% Yellow Mosquito Sack).
  • Spider Warriors have a 25% chance of dropping a Venom Gland (or 50% Monster Meat, 25% Silk), and never drop Spider Glands.
  • There's also a Poison Frog, but I don't know how to encounter it without spawning one directly (probably isn't active yet). An implementation error prevents it from actually dropping Venom Glands, but it's clear that it's supposed to have a 50% chance to drop alongside the 100% chance for Frog Legs. (Devs: to fix this, line 128 in frog.lua is currently calling LootDropper:AddRandomLoot when it ought to be calling AddChanceLoot.)

The moral of the story is: if you're around a source of poison, you're also around a cure for that poison.

Mm. Thank you for that tip. Unfortunately, the Stink Rays are very annoying. :p

I have not encountered the Poison Mosquitos yet, and I DID NOT KNOW that Spider Warriors were buffed to being venomous. 

Also I bet you that the Poison Frog will look like a Dart Frog.

Archived