Venom Feedback.

Also I've found with the bushes that shake, if you walk close to one there's a chance a snake will pop out, if it doesn't, a snake will pop out every time you chop it once (I think it takes 6 chops to knock it down)

So you can filter them out in a slow controlled fashion.
Tree's however I've seen spawn out 1-2 immediately after chopping, best advice there is to let them chase you till they fall asleep (during the day), and pick them off one at a time while kiting the attacks

Also I've found with the bushes that shake, if you walk close to one there's a chance a snake will pop out.

Yes, that's true. If your character touches the bush, then a snake will come out. Usually if you begin to chop that bush, 2 more snakes will come out, and then by th time you kill all 3, a fourth snake may appear from the bush.

I like the idea of the poison state having a duration of a few days.  It would still be a dangerous situation, you could easily die if you don't have enough HP restoring items, plus the constant damage would make hounds or other fights that much more tricky.  Even if you do have items, it puts you in the position of deciding whether to tough it out while trying to use as few resources as possible, or attempting to make antivenom.

If poison remains indefinite, then I'd like to see poisoned NPCs receive the same duration.  I mean, if I can't auto-cure why should they get to?  ;P

I've found the snakes that sometimes spawn from chopping trees do have a slight delay before they strike.  They'll usually rear and hiss, first.  It's just enough time to get away before being bitten, if you realize quick enough that they've appeared.  As for spiders, I just stay away from the den during dusk and night.  The spiders and snakes tend to get into fights together which keeps them occupied.  The mosquitoes are the ones I've had the most trouble with.  They can be dodged, but then they fly away faster than my character can run.  So I haven't had any luck with trying to kite them and I end up spending the night circling a dying fire while trying not to get bit.

Alright, it looks like they only come out of the shaking bushes! I had a very clear view on two bushes, and one was shaking. I waited until it was Dusk, and it turns out, every 3-4 IRL seconds, a snake will appear from the shaking bushes, whether they are on screen or not. Four snakes appears to be the maximum no. that there can be from any singular bush.

Also I've found with the bushes that shake, if you walk close to one there's a chance a snake will pop out, if it doesn't, a snake will pop out every time you chop it once (I think it takes 6 chops to knock it down)

So you can filter them out in a slow controlled fashion.

Tree's however I've seen spawn out 1-2 immediately after chopping, best advice there is to let them chase you till they fall asleep (during the day), and pick them off one at a time while kiting the attacks

At first I thought bush snakes were the spiders of Shipwrecked. Until I found and died from Lvl2 spider poison, that is.

But they have a similar mechanic, right? The shaking bushes are like spider dens. If you approach one during daytime, it spawns snakes (for a maximum of 3-4). During dusk, the shaking bushes release all their snakes to roam around and terrorize the jungle.

I've found the snakes that sometimes spawn from chopping trees do have a slight delay before they strike.  They'll usually rear and hiss, first.  It's just enough time to get away before being bitten, if you realize quick enough that they've appeared.  As for spiders, I just stay away from the den during dusk and night.  The spiders and snakes tend to get into fights together which keeps them occupied.  The mosquitoes are the ones I've had the most trouble with.  They can be dodged, but then they fly away faster than my character can run.  So I haven't had any luck with trying to kite them and I end up spending the night circling a dying fire while trying not to get bit.

Same here. The damn mosquitos are the worst! I can easily avoid or kite snakes and spiders. But once it starts flooding everywhere it's almost impossible to spend the night without getting poisoned by those constantly spawning mosquito bastards. I can't wait to get my seashell armor already :D

At first I thought bush snakes were the spiders of Shipwrecked. Until I found and died from Lvl2 spider poison, that is.

But they have a similar mechanic, right? The shaking bushes are like spider dens. If you approach one during daytime, it spawns snakes (for a maximum of 3-4). During dusk, the shaking bushes release all their snakes to roam around and terrorize the jungle.

Yeah, that's true. And yeah, if you hack the snake bushes, you would notice they spawn either 3-4 as you're hackin' em. And then all the snakes come out to play during dusk.

I still have not found a LV. Spider den...

Now a lot of islands are running rampant with poisonous snakes which is terrifying as hell.

Now that would make sense, wish they would add that.

It would make more sense for WX to be immune to poison.

Like come on. He needs a buff from all the water! He's a GOD-DANG ROBOT! If anyone should get the poison immunity, it's WX. It may make him just slightly more desirable to be played as.

Same here. The damn mosquitos are the worst! I can easily avoid or kite snakes and spiders. But once it starts flooding everywhere it's almost impossible to spend the night without getting poisoned by those constantly spawning mosquito bastards. I can't wait to get my seashell armor already :D

Just spam the F key. You can kill them in 3 hits from a spear and they seem to always get stunlocked. Also their attack has a bit of a wind up time so I never have trouble getting in the first hit.

Really if you spam F on them you never even have to kite.

That being said I only ever fought one at a time. That probably doesn't work for two or more.

I think poisen is ok, but it should be have a length of 8-10 Days. Not exactly 10 days, so you aren't sure when it will end. So you can deside if you want to search for venom-gland and coral reefs or you just live with it. 

I'm not really a fighter and i can't work with pressure in Don't starve so I would prefer this instead of getting never a cure if i don't stearch for venom gland and a coral reef. 

It would make more sense for WX to be immune to poison.

Like come on. He needs a buff from all the water! He's a GOD-DANG ROBOT! If anyone should get the poison immunity, it's WX. It may make him just slightly more desirable to be played as.

Sure, you are right, my mind just jumped at Webber being immune as he is spider in the same family as the poisonous warriors and since we were already talking about him. Of course it would make sense for the robot to be poison immune as well. :wilson_laugh:

Kellyc764 linked earlier to the post about shell armor protecting against poison.  So far, I haven't gotten poisoned while wearing it, either from snakes or mosquitoes.  It's worth the effort of making for that alone!  Plus, as they say, it's pretty good protection otherwise.

Also, the new venomous spider warriors are scary smart.  Most enemies still just walk into walls if you run through a winding path.  Not those critters, though.  I had one agro on me from the other side of a sandbag wall and it found its way through the u-shaped diagonal entrance path into my base to get to me :wilson_horror:

I've twice now been poisoned, 1st time because I was unaware of the possibility, and secondly by a sneaky snake I did not see until it was too late. It's incredibly frustrating, not only is it difficult to keep yourself sustained, but you now also HAVE to fight more mobs to get the venom gland (which I have yet to see..)
It feels far too difficult, it really is a killjoy. I appreciate a challenge, this is not challenging, just annoying.

As for the comments saying it should be difficult because it would be realistic; realistically EVERY snake that is venomous, has venomglands. So there goes your realism theory.

I like the poison mechanic, I really do! It ought not be this time consuming to fix though...

Personally I think poison is too strong. It's pretty much dominating the gameplay to the point it's not much fun.

Maybe change it so it does about 50 damage for 4 days, killing most 150 HP characters, unless they can either get anti-venom, use healing items or stuffing themselves with all the food they can find (curing poison by risking starvation is nice gameplay, I think).

I thought the poison was too diffcult at first but after dying to it my first two games I just learned to stay away from the snakes until I knew I could make an antidote lol. The main problem I had when trying to make the antidote at first was obtaining a darn venom sack but once you realized you can just dig up poison gas pits for them, it's not nearly as bad.

Even though I haven't had a real problem with vemon since my third play through, I do think it would be good to have a time limit on venom or a damage limit. I think it would be fine it the limit was high enough to even kill you twice or more but having a limit of some kind would be good.

Archived