Ideas for Woodie

Every now and then i go on a server as Woodie. The more i play as Woodie the more i think about how Woodie has no downside except the werebeaver. Woodie has 200 sanity (the normal amount) that can constantly be refilled by chopping/replanting trees while his beard keeps him warm and he always has an axe so wood is not a problem. His werebeaver form helps in more ways than not. As werebeaver you can get about 2-3 stacks of wood and turn back into Woodie with 75-100 sanity that can again be refilled to 200 by planting the pine cones you just got by gnawing on trees. Woodie is waaaayyyyy to OP.

Ideas to balance Woodie and why they make sense:

1. Because of his "hearty appetite" his hunger could go down a little faster.

2. In summer Woodie can heat up faster not only because of his beard but he is not used to the heat.

3. In winter Woodie can last longer without clothes because he is used to the cold AND has a beard.

4. Gain sanity from wearing a log suit because he likes wood and whatnot.

5. Have his sanity cap at 150-175-ish because he talks to an axe and is obsessed with trees.

Feel free to add/modify ideas or share your opinion on Woodie,

Woodie's problem is that you don't need massive amounts of wood, and if you did you could play any character, make some pig friends, and get it done.

His strengths are not important, and there's not much advantage to ever going werebeaver.

Yes, you can mass harvest wood for a significant sanity loss, which isn't hard to replace. You lose efficiency though because he has to eat some of that wood.

I was against woodie when he is changed, but now I am side with you. Though i dont support the idea of nerfing him. He is a pretty good character at the moment. The only problem of him is long winter full moons. If you can stay in woodie form at those nights(which is easy to do), he is a pretty good character.

I don´t really get this character.

The Werebeaver is awful, it wreaks you up and usually kills me. I don´t really understand what´s the benefits of using his character other than being able to chop would quicker. 

what is the benefit of getting wolfgang other than killing mobs quicker? what is the reason of getting wilson other than making meat effigy? what is the reason of getting willow other than making a lighter? If you combine all of them is a benefit and while woodie can provide lotta logs, wolfgang can bring tons of meat, same for webber with stacks of monster meat... Summation is called as team work.

Werebeaver is to get logs quicker, mine boulders without the need of flint, chewing grass and twigs without using any tool and it is faster. Using night vision to travel easier etc... Werebeaver is not for the fight. Woodie is in his current form is pretty balanced char. His beard also has insulation.. So he is an awesome character. If you could shave his beard, he would be even a better alternative of wilson...

I don't like DST Woodie, although I never was a fan of him. I'm not one for stuff like Werebeaver. Anyway, he seems to suffer somewhat from Willow syndrome in DST. He has upsides and downsides, but they're all small, unimportant upsides that you don't really need.

His beard is almost useless. It provides something like 45 insulation, IIRC.

He chops wood faster, but if he's not in Werebeaver form he eats so much wood that he's barely faster than a normal character. Not to mention pigs. If you need wood, it's much more economical to just befriend a couple pigs than play Woodie.

Then there's his saplings. This would be insanely powerful and make sanity a strong reason to pick Woodie... except it still isn't. Because Woodie needs this massive sanity influx every time he goes Werebeaver and his sanity is dropped down insanely fast.

Along with all that, he has a nice theme, but it doesn't quite work. Especially with pigs around, we really just don't need a lumberjack character.

If I was going to change him, I'd make him a resource collector. 10% more movement speed, for one. The strong part is that his animations would be quicker. Whether he's collecting twigs, chopping a tree, or picking something up off the ground, he does it a good deal faster. Werebeaver would amplify this, if it's still in.

what is the benefit of getting wolfgang other than killing mobs quicker? what is the reason of getting wilson other than making meat effigy? what is the reason of getting willow other than making a lighter? If you combine all of them is a benefit and while woodie can provide lotta logs, wolfgang can bring tons of meat, same for webber with stacks of monster meat... Summation is called as team work.

Werebeaver is to get logs quicker, mine boulders without the need of flint, chewing grass and twigs without using any tool and it is faster. Using night vision to travel easier etc... Werebeaver is not for the fight. Woodie is in his current form is pretty balanced char. His beard also has insulation.. So he is an awesome character. If you could shave his beard, he would be even a better alternative of wilson...

You're wrong, and it's not simply a matter of opinion.  Woodie can chop slightly faster than other players, but still much worse than simply befriending a few pigmen.  The sanity drain and general weakness of werebeaver form is awful.

Wolfgang is good because fighting is a non-optional part of this game (though he's awkward as hell to play).  Hound waves, giants, many enemies dropping resources means sooner or later, you're going to need to fight to get resources.

Like was already said, woodie is like willow in that his upsides are minor and unimportant.  No one ever died because they couldn't harvest wood fast enough.

The utility of werebeaver form is garbage, because restoring sanity is always more expensive than the tiny bit of time saved by using werebeaver to gnaw resources.  If you gave werebeaver 90% damage resist and made the sanity drain the same as normal woodie, then he still wouldn't be too strong, because werebeaver does awful damage.

His beard is largely forgettable.  It won't mean you don't need a winter item (like wilson, who can get away with just his beard in a pinch) and you can't shave it, so summer is slightly worse.

What makes woodie bad and willow mostly a beardless wilson is that woodie wastes significant resources every full moon, and loses time having to deal with wereform, which as was stated before, is useless.

I don't like DST Woodie, although I never was a fan of him. I'm not one for stuff like Werebeaver. Anyway, he seems to suffer somewhat from Willow syndrome in DST. He has upsides and downsides, but they're all small, unimportant upsides that you don't really need.

His beard is almost useless. It provides something like 45 insulation, IIRC.

He chops wood faster, but if he's not in Werebeaver form he eats so much wood that he's barely faster than a normal character. Not to mention pigs. If you need wood, it's much more economical to just befriend a couple pigs than play Woodie.

Then there's his saplings. This would be insanely powerful and make sanity a strong reason to pick Woodie... except it still isn't. Because Woodie needs this massive sanity influx every time he goes Werebeaver and his sanity is dropped down insanely fast.

Along with all that, he has a nice theme, but it doesn't quite work. Especially with pigs around, we really just don't need a lumberjack character.

If I was going to change him, I'd make him a resource collector. 10% more movement speed, for one. The strong part is that his animations would be quicker. Whether he's collecting twigs, chopping a tree, or picking something up off the ground, he does it a good deal faster. Werebeaver would amplify this, if it's still in.

Woodie would be in a fine place if werebeaver had some useful characteristics.  For example, if he had much slower sanity drain, then woodie could be an excellent scout, as he could search the whole map easily from the beginning, which is even more useful in caves.  If werebeaver form was good for combat, then he could fight bosses.

Woodie's human form is balanced itself.  He's not as good as wickerbottom/webber/wigfrid, but he's better than wes.  Woodie with his wereform as it is currently is worse than willow, who is not a rockstar.

1)You're wrong, and it's not simply a matter of opinion.  Woodie can chop slightly faster than other players, but still much worse than simply befriending a few pigmen.  The sanity drain and general weakness of werebeaver form is awful.

2)Wolfgang is good because fighting is a non-optional part of this game (though he's awkward as hell to play).  Hound waves, giants, many enemies dropping resources means sooner or later, you're going to need to fight to get resources.

3)Like was already said, woodie is like willow in that his upsides are minor and unimportant.  No one ever died because they couldn't harvest wood fast enough.

4)The utility of werebeaver form is garbage, because restoring sanity is always more expensive than the tiny bit of time saved by using werebeaver to gnaw resources.  If you gave werebeaver 90% damage resist and made the sanity drain the same as normal woodie, then he still wouldn't be too strong, because werebeaver does awful damage.

5)His beard is largely forgettable.  It won't mean you don't need a winter item (like wilson, who can get away with just his beard in a pinch) and you can't shave it, so summer is slightly worse.

6)What makes woodie bad and willow mostly a beardless wilson is that woodie wastes significant resources every full moon, and loses time having to deal with wereform, which as was stated before, is useless.

1)Woodie can chop much faster (not slightly) than other players. He can chop 4x faster than any other character.. Wanna bet for that? If you wanna get lotta logs, you should not chew logs and chop down, completely go into werebeaver form and gnaw everything on your way.. Also he can befriend with pigs too while chopping trees.. Sanity drain in werebeaver form is alright and manageable. Other than full moons, it is not that fast. Plant some pinecones after gnawing trees in Werebeaver form and you are all set. Woodie in DST is one of the easiest character to manage sanity... Bring your pinecones to everywhere with you and plant as you need sanity. You dont need a tam o shanter with him. logs are needed to make flooring or chests.. you dont even have to use an axe if you have a woodie in your team and he knows how to use that character. He can also fight and kill deerclops while an inexperienced player that plays as wigfrid having trouble to even kill an ewecus.. So this is about how much experience you have.

2)Fighting is optional in the game. There is almost always an alternative method to get meat, get loot by not physically fighting... Also other than Wolfgang and Wigfrid most other chars do 1x damage and he is doing 1x damage too.. So he is not a Wes nor Wendy... Pretty balanced.

3)No one can die because wofgang could not bring food either... You should understand that it is not character. It is all about someone who uses that... Webber can be pretty useless on an inexperienced player while he can bring 2 stacks of monster meat every other 3 days on someone who knows how to use.

4) Again werebeaver is not for fight. If you give those perks, I would always play as woodie because he can do an axe damage in that form and an axe damage is not too bad and 90% damage reduction is superb (also if you know how to kite mobs too, axe damage + 90% damage reduction combination is awesome. Free damage reduction without any log suit and helmet and free weapon which is the teeth of werebeaver.).. Give that woodie to me please so I would not need to make log suit or pig helmet as other characters.. . sanity lost can easily be increased by planting pinecones...

5) His beard is giving an insulation factor (idk how much) and it is still better than having no beard.. Wilson also cannot chop down trees that quickly and cannot gnaw boulders

6) Every full moon? Woodie's only weakness is winter full moon. Other than that other full moons are too easy to manage.. 4 segment 5 segment full moon not long enough and you can easily manage... (also DST full moons are too easy to count (11-31-51-71-91... are full moons) For winter full moons, again if you have 3 stacks of wood in your inventory (which i normally keep a stack of wood in my inventory playing as a character other than Woodie) it is too easy to manage that night as well.. Just place woods on the floor before full moon so after full moon you can chew them to go back to woodie form quickly and then kep eating woods to stay in woodie form till morning.

I am not a fan of Woodie, but woodie is not a bad character. Pretty good character. All characters have pros and cons..

For example you keep saying werebeaver is not for fight. How about wolfgang in wimpy form? How about a starving wolfgang? So you need food for wolfgang.. Even normal wolfgang's hunger drains so quickly (while he is doing 1x damage still his hunger drains 1.5x)

As you can see wolfgang has cons too.. So woodies werebeaver form is both his pros and his cons..

It is all about game style..

1)Woodie can chop much faster (not slightly) than other players. He can chop 4x faster than any other character.. Wanna bet for that? If you wanna get lotta logs, you should not chew logs and chop down, completely go into werebeaver form and gnaw everything on your way.. Also he can befriend with pigs too while chopping trees.. Sanity drain in werebeaver form is alright and manageable. Other than full moons, it is not that fast. Plant some pinecones after gnawing trees in Werebeaver form and you are all set. Woodie in DST is one of the easiest character to manage sanity... Bring your pinecones to everywhere with you and plant as you need sanity. You dont need a tam o shanter with him. logs are needed to make flooring or chests.. you dont even have to use an axe if you have a woodie in your team and he knows how to use that character. He can also fight and kill deerclops while an inexperienced player that plays as wigfrid having trouble to even kill an ewecus.. So this is about how much experience you have.

2)Fighting is optional in the game. There is almost always an alternative method to get meat, get loot by not physically fighting... Also other than Wolfgang and Wigfrid most other chars do 1x damage and he is doing 1x damage too.. So he is not a Wes nor Wendy... Pretty balanced.

3)No one can die because wofgang could not bring food either... You should understand that it is not character. It is all about someone who uses that... Webber can be pretty useless on an inexperienced player while he can bring 2 stacks of monster meat every other 3 days on someone who knows how to use.

4) Again werebeaver is not for fight. If you give those perks, I would always play as woodie because he can do an axe damage in that form and an axe damage is not too bad and 90% damage reduction is superb (also if you know how to kite mobs too, axe damage + 90% damage reduction combination is awesome. Free damage reduction without any log suit and helmet and free weapon which is the teeth of werebeaver.).. Give that woodie to me please so I would not need to make log suit or pig helmet as other characters.. . sanity lost can easily be increased by planting pinecones...

5) His beard is giving an insulation factor (idk how much) and it is still better than having no beard.. Wilson also cannot chop down trees that quickly and cannot gnaw boulders

6) Every full moon? Woodie's only weakness is winter full moon. Other than that other full moons are too easy to manage.. 4 segment 5 segment full moon not long enough and you can easily manage... (also DST full moons are too easy to count (11-31-51-71-91... are full moons) For winter full moons, again if you have 3 stacks of wood in your inventory (which i normally keep a stack of wood in my inventory playing as a character other than Woodie) it is too easy to manage that night as well.. Just place woods on the floor before full moon so after full moon you can chew them to go back to woodie form quickly and then kep eating woods to stay in woodie form till morning.

I am not a fan of Woodie, but woodie is not a bad character. Pretty good character. All characters have pros and cons..

For example you keep saying werebeaver is not for fight. How about wolfgang in wimpy form? How about a starving wolfgang? So you need food for wolfgang.. Even normal wolfgang's hunger drains so quickly (while he is doing 1x damage still his hunger drains 1.5x)

As you can see wolfgang has cons too.. So woodies werebeaver form is both his pros and his cons..

It is all about game style..

Mass collection of wood is useless.  Werebeaver form is pretty close to useless too, largely because when you gnaw on anything it builds your wood meter.  He also has to eat over 1 log per tree he cuts to balance out the passive loss and what he loses from chopping.

From what you're telling me, I believe that it is possible to trivialize full moons... but that gives you even less reason to ever be in werebeaver form.  It doesn't collect resources significantly faster than woodie does, it drains huge amounts of sanity (which granted, is trivial when you have a supply of pinecones) but it doesn't do anything of value.

Woodie wastes wood, but harvests quickly and doesn't worry much about sanity.  Playing him doesn't feel awkward, but it does feel pointless.  Draining the wood meter doesn't have much impact when gaining it back is easy.  dropping lucy is pointless, because you can get a new axe and regain lucy by chopping any tree.  As you pointed out, full moons basically just waste more wood, which is abundant.

Wolfgang certainly has cons, but he is able to hunt food and fight off hound waves more efficiently than anyone else.  He can effectively get double the heal value from healing items by allowing himself to get wimpy before healing, and then fight while mighty.  He is able to do something meaningful better than anyone else.

I have never thought to myself "man, if only I had spent a few more minutes chopping wood."

Yes, woodie is much faster at chopping trees.  But chopping trees is not particularly time consuming anyway, and he loses 30% of the wood he harvests to his log meter from chopping and dropping over time.

I'm also not a fan of how easy it is for him to get sanity back.  Maxwell's main perk is his massive sanity regeneration, and he pays a significant cost in max hp for it.  Woodie's is helpful, but not particularly interesting when a stack of pinecones gives you 200 sanity and never spoils.

Basically, woodie is a fairly easy character to play with a mostly ignorable werebeaver form.   He's fairly self-sufficient when it comes to sanity, but he'll quickly accumulate more wood than any group will need.

When it comes to the sorts of challenges characters struggle with, woodie doesn't provide anything notable, and his playstyle isn't significantly altered in a meaningful way the way other characters are.

He doesn't contribute much to the group, because wood is a resource that really isn't that valuable.  With a shovel, a chest costs 3 full grown trees.  A group probably doesn't need more than a few dozen trees in the first year, in contrast with the many, many things silk is used for.

Woodie is mostly just... there.  His wereform took a lot of effort and time to code and create, and it really just saves him some flint and twigs, and makes him marginally faster at something that doesn't need speed.

Mass collection of wood is useless.  Werebeaver form is pretty close to useless too, largely because when you gnaw on anything it builds your wood meter.  He also has to eat over 1 log per tree he cuts to balance out the passive loss and what he loses from chopping.

From what you're telling me, I believe that it is possible to trivialize full moons... but that gives you even less reason to ever be in werebeaver form.  It doesn't collect resources significantly faster than woodie does, it drains huge amounts of sanity (which granted, is trivial when you have a supply of pinecones) but it doesn't do anything of value.

Woodie wastes wood, but harvests quickly and doesn't worry much about sanity.  Playing him doesn't feel awkward, but it does feel pointless.  Draining the wood meter doesn't have much impact when gaining it back is easy.  dropping lucy is pointless, because you can get a new axe and regain lucy by chopping any tree.  As you pointed out, full moons basically just waste more wood, which is abundant.

Wolfgang certainly has cons, but he is able to hunt food and fight off hound waves more efficiently than anyone else.  He can effectively get double the heal value from healing items by allowing himself to get wimpy before healing, and then fight while mighty.  He is able to do something meaningful better than anyone else.

I have never thought to myself "man, if only I had spent a few more minutes chopping wood."

Yes, woodie is much faster at chopping trees.  But chopping trees is not particularly time consuming anyway, and he loses 30% of the wood he harvests to his log meter from chopping and dropping over time.

I'm also not a fan of how easy it is for him to get sanity back.  Maxwell's main perk is his massive sanity regeneration, and he pays a significant cost in max hp for it.  Woodie's is helpful, but not particularly interesting when a stack of pinecones gives you 200 sanity and never spoils.

Basically, woodie is a fairly easy character to play with a mostly ignorable werebeaver form.   He's fairly self-sufficient when it comes to sanity, but he'll quickly accumulate more wood than any group will need.

When it comes to the sorts of challenges characters struggle with, woodie doesn't provide anything notable, and his playstyle isn't significantly altered in a meaningful way the way other characters are.

He doesn't contribute much to the group, because wood is a resource that really isn't that valuable.  With a shovel, a chest costs 3 full grown trees.  A group probably doesn't need more than a few dozen trees in the first year, in contrast with the many, many things silk is used for.

Woodie is mostly just... there.  His wereform took a lot of effort and time to code and create, and it really just saves him some flint and twigs, and makes him marginally faster at something that doesn't need speed.

As I said woodie is the best char that has a nice sanity regen (with pinecones. He does not need to use any sanity food or tent etc... While other chars have to look for sanity items, build tents, he can finish the tree chopping activit in 2 days and provide wood for all grup members for 30 days. Since he does not need any sanity item too, he does not have to lose time to collect sanity foods or eat jerky or sleep in tent. He can directly assigned to bring food.)(maxwell is not in DST), best char that can chop down trees. Best char to build and decorate base with massive wood flooring and you can bring food with even wes... You are free to stay on grass turf while a team with woodie can have a better lookin base with gigantic flooring which protects the base from lureplants and decorative it looks better than staying on grass.

The easiest thing in this game is food... I can keep feeding 4 people in a group even they dont bring any food. I can bring a stack of meat in a day with wes. Anyone can find tons of food dont worry.. Food is the least significant thing in the game. You keep saying wolfgang but woodie has 1x damage multiplier like willow, wilson, wx, wolfgang in normal form, wickerbottom, etc.. So anybody can contribute almost same when it comes to fight. Wolfgang's 1.7x average damage in fights depends on player's experience. Even wes with a dark sword can beat 4-5 hound wave. If you are not experienced wolfgang is useless. If you know what you are doing you can even go with wes and bring food, kill deerclops and do anything else. If someone chooses a woodie and stays at the base, it is his fault. Not a superb char like woodie. He can provide 30 days of wood in one go... Saves tons of flint for the group... None of the character can do it. If you cannot find flint in a dedicated server, you cannot even have a camp fire.. But this is not the case with woodie.. Woodie can easily get his first flint from a boulder.. Sometimes it takes 5-6 days to find a flint in dedicated servers. woodie can have his pickaxe in the very first day.

Person who contributes to the group is someone who knows what he is doing.. It is not someone who chooses wolfgang.

LISTEN, one of the main resources in the game is WOOD. Sure, you may not like Woodie but that does not mean hes bad. With wood you can...

- Make wooden flooring and have a nice meat farm.

- BOARDS!!! That = pigs galore, more floorboards, chests, FUEL for ice-fling-o-matics and fires, + beard hair = meat effigy (assuming you have beard hear), signs, bee boxes, and wood walls (personally i rather not have any walls).

- Tooth traps! Getting wood for tooth traps can be a pain in the a*s.

- New crafting recipes - Having boards/logs early on is good for having an early camp.

- Etc. Wood has many uses and there is never a moment where it is without value.

Ps, You keep saying that pigs can help you chop trees as anyone else BUT:

- People still use Webber so no pigs for them.

- Not everyone has pigs close to base.

- Maybe they don't have meat to spare.

Man, i love making lists.

Woodie's problem is that you don't need massive amounts of wood, and if you did you could play any character, make some pig friends, and get it done.

His strengths are not important, and there's not much advantage to ever going werebeaver.

Yes, you can mass harvest wood for a significant sanity loss, which isn't hard to replace. You lose efficiency though because he has to eat some of that wood.

I find myself always needing wood for a lot of things and fueling firepits and flingos takes up a lot of it. Idk why people see that it's not needed as much, though I would agree that in like mid-game or late game rocks are more needed than wood.

I find myself always needing wood for a lot of things and fueling firepits and flingos takes up a lot of it. Idk why people see that it's not needed as much, though I would agree that in like mid-game or late game rocks are more needed than wood.

Day 250: 3 stacks of rocks, a total of 15 logs. WHEN IS ROCKS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WOOD? These pigs can't help me chop wood even if i paid them to.

:happypigs:                                                                                                                             :happypigs:  

*Spoilers*

I did.

They didn't

Day 250: 3 stacks of rocks, a total of 15 logs. WHEN IS ROCKS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WOOD? These pigs can't help me chop wood even if i paid them to.

:happypigs:                                                                                                                             :happypigs:  

*Spoilers*

I did.

They didn't

I run out of rocks a lot; using them for battle helmets, walls and other stuff. It's nearly day 2600 (yes, it's nearly day 2600, not a typo here) and for some reason the meteors start spawning less and less once it's late game, so we have to fight the Dragonfly and use an exploit to get Lavae frozen and get rocks from them. I got 276 rocks from soloing the Dragonfly the last time and now there's less than 2 stacks left. What we made out of the rocks? Another small base for newbies (so that's a crock pot, endo fire pit, normal firepit and ice box that required rocks) a few hammers, walls for the bee-dark flower farm and 30 battle helmets. And really the only thing we use wood for is some new chests (only scaled chests for the main base, which we rarely make because of the slow pace at which we get scales and chests for the new small base, which still left us with a lot of wood), fueling fires and fueling flingos during Summer. Though we need wood a lot, we need rocks even more because of the amount of stuff we do. Your world is less than 10 times as younger than ours (when I say ours, I'm referring to me and the people who play on that server). And from what I know, at day 250 there's still a lot of meteors spawning, whilst at the day we're at, you'll be lucky to see like 3 of the boulders after like a hundred days spawned by the meteors. Getting wood is easy, getting rocks is hard; you gotta fight the fly to get rocks is where we're at. Just play a "little bit" more and you'll see if you are willing to expand, make more bases and build walls as well as battle helmets for head armour.

We even have an abundance of gold whilst flint is scarse. Late game is basically the opposite of early game; the items that were abundant are now scarse and the items that were scarse are now abundant. We even use Living logs for fire wood, for fueling flingos or simply letting woodie players to eat them.

Clearly you never heard of poop before.  ...wait what?

Clearly you never heard of poop before.  ...wait what?

We use that to fertilise grass, to make buckets of poop for fertilising plants when we're prepping dragonpies for dragonfly fights (I use buckets of poop instead of Applied harticulture (yes, I'm playing as Wickerbottom there) if there isn't a whole bunch of the fruits planted. If it's all of the farms or nearly all of them, only then I use the book, so, although it's quite easy to get poop, we can run out of it quite quickly and getting wood (since the host plays as Woody) is much faster than getting poop.

As I said woodie is the best char that has a nice sanity regen (with pinecones. He does not need to use any sanity food or tent etc... While other chars have to look for sanity items, build tents, he can finish the tree chopping activit in 2 days and provide wood for all grup members for 30 days. Since he does not need any sanity item too, he does not have to lose time to collect sanity foods or eat jerky or sleep in tent. He can directly assigned to bring food.)(maxwell is not in DST), best char that can chop down trees. Best char to build and decorate base with massive wood flooring and you can bring food with even wes... You are free to stay on grass turf while a team with woodie can have a better lookin base with gigantic flooring which protects the base from lureplants and decorative it looks better than staying on grass.

The easiest thing in this game is food... I can keep feeding 4 people in a group even they dont bring any food. I can bring a stack of meat in a day with wes. Anyone can find tons of food dont worry.. Food is the least significant thing in the game. You keep saying wolfgang but woodie has 1x damage multiplier like willow, wilson, wx, wolfgang in normal form, wickerbottom, etc.. So anybody can contribute almost same when it comes to fight. Wolfgang's 1.7x average damage in fights depends on player's experience. Even wes with a dark sword can beat 4-5 hound wave. If you are not experienced wolfgang is useless. If you know what you are doing you can even go with wes and bring food, kill deerclops and do anything else. If someone chooses a woodie and stays at the base, it is his fault. Not a superb char like woodie. He can provide 30 days of wood in one go... Saves tons of flint for the group... None of the character can do it. If you cannot find flint in a dedicated server, you cannot even have a camp fire.. But this is not the case with woodie.. Woodie can easily get his first flint from a boulder.. Sometimes it takes 5-6 days to find a flint in dedicated servers. woodie can have his pickaxe in the very first day.

Person who contributes to the group is someone who knows what he is doing.. It is not someone who chooses wolfgang.

It is a pointless argument to talk about player skill when comparing mechanical balance, unless a character has a dramatically altered skill floor/skill ceiling.  A good player will succeed with any of the characters, a bad player with none of them.  Wolfgang is a bit more difficult to manage at the start, but even wimpy wolfgang can still fight effectively, it's just time consuming.

Wasting wood on flooring when rocky turf does the same thing is not a solid argument either.  (If you were going to waste wood, you should really be using cobblestone, as it is the only turf that both protects from lureplants and provides a movement speed bonus.

Sanity early on is not difficult because garland/top hat are easy to get, and players should be prototyping all sorts of things.  Sleeping on a straw roll can help for others, and it only costs a meatball to get a decent chunk of sanity back.  Wickerbottom is an exception, but the potency of her books makes up for it.

We use that to fertilise grass, to make buckets of poop for fertilising plants when we're prepping dragonpies for dragonfly fights (I use buckets of poop instead of Applied harticulture (yes, I'm playing as Wickerbottom there) if there isn't a whole bunch of the fruits planted. If it's all of the farms or nearly all of them, only then I use the book, so, although it's quite easy to get poop, we can run out of it quite quickly and getting wood (since the host plays as Woody) is much faster than getting poop.

A lot of that depends on base location.  If you settle in a grassland near a large herd of beefalo, you have plenty of poop and can establish a tree farm.  Twigs don't need fertilization, and berries become less valuable once you can produce bacon and eggs.

It's not so much that wood isn't useful, it's just not needed to the point where having a character whose major upside is getting wood.

If a team is looking to optimize, you'd probably want wickerbottom, maxwell, wigfrid and wolfgang.  Maxwell gets free use of wickerbottom's books and has an easier time digging graves and making/using magic items since he starts with a purple gem, wigfrid and wolfgang can easily handle all the fighting/hunting, and Wickerbottom lets maxwell go from an "ok" character to a strong one and has her amazing books.

If everyone is just doing their own thing and is good enough to easily survive, then character strength isn't relevant, because they could do the same thing as wes if they wanted.

LISTEN, one of the main resources in the game is WOOD. Sure, you may not like Woodie but that does not mean hes bad. With wood you can...

- Make wooden flooring and have a nice meat farm.

- BOARDS!!! That = pigs galore, more floorboards, chests, FUEL for ice-fling-o-matics and fires, + beard hair = meat effigy (assuming you have beard hear), signs, bee boxes, and wood walls (personally i rather not have any walls).

- Tooth traps! Getting wood for tooth traps can be a pain in the a*s.

- New crafting recipes - Having boards/logs early on is good for having an early camp.

- Etc. Wood has many uses and there is never a moment where it is without value.

Ps, You keep saying that pigs can help you chop trees as anyone else BUT:

- People still use Webber so no pigs for them.

- Not everyone has pigs close to base.

- Maybe they don't have meat to spare.

Man, i love making lists.

You don't need boards for flooring, it takes far less time to make a chest than to fill one up, signs aren't necessary, wood walls are just going to end up as ash.

Wood is not worthless, but it is never high-priority.  You'll chop a decent amount as you go around looking for your first base/mini-base, and that can carry you until you have a treefarm going.

Using webber means no pigs.  But in cooperative play, that means that someone other than webber can chop... and failing that, it's not like the trees are going anywhere.  More time doesn't negatively affect you.

Not having pigs close to base isn't a big deal, because we can build pig houses wherever we want.  Meat, pigskin (usually from hammered pig heads) and boards and you have a couple pig houses easily.

Not having meat to spare... taking down koalafant/ew is easy in a group, and gives a good amount of meat and koalafant trunks for puffy vests, which make winter a lot more productive.  Beefalo hats are nice when they go into heat, and also provide the best winter protection available for your head.   All of this provides meat, and while jerky is great, if you're hunting it's not hard to get plenty.

Nerfing Woodie is a horrible idea. What should happen is at least a buff for the Werebeaver, which nobody uses.

Exactly. We have an interesting mechanic in the wereform that currently has no significant use and costs nothing but easily replacable sanity.

Wereform needs a meaningful use.

Also, have you ever tried mining all the rocks in a empty tallfort as a werebeaver? No? Exactly.

Yes, and it's garbage. You can't mine a significant amount before your meter fills and you change back. Pickaxes are cheap, so there's no reason to use it.

It is a pointless argument to talk about player skill when comparing mechanical balance, unless a character has a dramatically altered skill floor/skill ceiling.  A good player will succeed with any of the characters, a bad player with none of them.  Wolfgang is a bit more difficult to manage at the start, but even wimpy wolfgang can still fight effectively, it's just time consuming.

Wasting wood on flooring when rocky turf does the same thing is not a solid argument either.  (If you were going to waste wood, you should really be using cobblestone, as it is the only turf that both protects from lureplants and provides a movement speed bonus.

Sanity early on is not difficult because garland/top hat are easy to get, and players should be prototyping all sorts of things.  Sleeping on a straw roll can help for others, and it only costs a meatball to get a decent chunk of sanity back.  Wickerbottom is an exception, but the potency of her books makes up for it.

Woodie is a pretty balanceed char.. he has 1x damage. what do you want from him more? 5x damage in werebeaver form and 100% damage reduction? Is that what you mean by mechanical balance? DS woodie was an OP char for DST and it was even OP for DS itself. the point you dont wanna understand is this.. DST is currently too easy with bunch of players.

Werebeaver is not for fighting. giving him free flint (ability to chop and mine) and free log suit 80% damage reduction in werebeaver form-if it was given) and a free tentacle spike (spike damage-if it was given) and ability to not to oveaheat and freeze (if it was given), free night vision would make him too OP.. Then you would not need logs, grass, twigs and flint. It would be a boring character to play with.

Would be a too powerful char for DST PvP servers. stay in werebeaver form as long as you want... those old powers would be given i dont care but then sanity penalty must be really significant to discourage people to stay in werebeaver form but then this will affect chopping down trees in werebeaver form. it is all about PvP and multiplayer game experience. This is why DS woodie was not suitable for DST and i like DST form.. Pretty balanced and does not make other chars too weak against him in pvp servers.

DS woodie's only problem was jerky, which is too easy to get and this is why I did not play as Woodie in DS because he makes me get bored easily. For DST i dont play as Woodie too because I just dont really like to use the character itself no matter what.

Archived