Ideas for Woodie

I understand being able to blow through 2 stacks of manure on fertilization and farms, but beefalo wool is only for fuel... and you'd be burning a whole stack of logs, plus some, in a single day.

Unless it's summer or you're not turning your flingomatics off, I don't understand how you could possibly blow through that much fuel.

I didn't use it for farms, I used it for fuel, and yes, it is summer. My base has mostly every single farmable item ever. Bees, meat bulbs, my base in general (alchemy engine, tent, chests, Etc.), Pig village, drying racks, 2 tree farms, and twig/berry/grass farms, and farm farms. Some of those things do overlap, but the fling-o-matics can't cover that much space so i need alot.

I didn't use it for farms, I used it for fuel, and yes, it is summer. My base has mostly every single farmable item ever. Bees, meat bulbs, my base in general (alchemy engine, tent, chests, Etc.), Pig village, drying racks, 2 tree farms, and twig/berry/grass farms, and farm farms. Some of those things do overlap, but the fling-o-matics can't cover that much space so i need alot.

That makes sense then, but that's also the strategy that is going to cause the most fuel consumption of any possible strategy.

You might want to keep an eye on this strategy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/comments/3kqmn6/lureplants_to_replace_flingomatics/

it still needs testing but otherwise has potential.

That makes sense then, but that's also the strategy that is going to cause the most fuel consumption of any possible strategy.

You might want to keep an eye on this strategy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/comments/3kqmn6/lureplants_to_replace_flingomatics/

it still needs testing but otherwise has potential.

No, no, no, no. I use meat bulbs as an effective way to befriend  pigs without using monster meat (because monster meat can have many uses).

I always play as woodie because of one reason, and no other: Lucy. Lucy is the most useful tool in the game. If you have lucy, you can join any server, no matter season nor population nor age, and still start up okay. Most public servers have maybe one flint if you search for an hour, making it hard to start a base. Lucy is already an infinite axe that you don't have to craft, so all your flint can go towards pickaxes. In winter, you can make many emergency campfires because of lucy. Lucy's also an impromptu weapon, so if you're good at kiting you can hunt a beefalo or two easily. Pinecones also make it ridiculously easy to gain sanity. Woodie's beard is also a tiny perk. The werebeaver isn't too useful because now it's not as warm or protective as in single-player. If the werebeaver was faster and could pick up items he'd be more useful because instead of being a not-so-good fighter he could be a pretty good gatherer for getting items that are far away.

Lucy's also an impromptu weapon

While yes it is, I would not use it as such if I can help it, it inflicts half the damage of an axe, which is 3 damage higher than punching.  Honestly for the effort it would take to kill something with lucy, I'd rather just go werebeaver and break rocks to get flint.  Or just kill stuff as a werebeaver, the werebeavers damage is the same as an axe, but deals 17 more damage to treeguards.

Yes, but that still makes going werebeaver at all pointless.

Freeze and overheat resistance, waterproofness, night vision, omnitool, bonus damage against treeguards, and also recieves 25% damage reduction from all sources.

Understand that Wolfgang has more weakness's tied to him even to this day, he suffers from a 2x-3x hunger drain if hes in normal or might form.  His wimpy form requires hunger to be 100 or less just to get normal hunger drain, and in that state he deals significantly less damage.  So low that he actually can't even kill rabbit's with boomerangs in the state.  Other players can just top off their hunger since there's no reason to otherwise, but wolfgang has to carry food on hand for on call transformations.

On top of that, wolfgang also gets increase sanity drain at night and near monsters.  Do you really think woodie's disadvantages are more severe?  Woodie suffers no damage penalties at all, can restore sanity without draining any resources, has a permanent unbreakable axe, and can activate an omnitool nightvision form that can also offer protection from heat and cold.

Just like how wolfgang can be played powerfully and efficiently when used right, so can woodie.

Werebeaver form isn't the insanely overpowered version it was in singleplayer, but it is far from useless.

Edit: In fact, I bet as soon as the caves update hits, Woodie's werebeaver form is going to be insanely useful, since you can immediately explore caves as werebeaver and take advantage of his nightvision and infinite gnawing to gather lots of resources.

While yes it is, I would not use it as such if I can help it, it inflicts half the damage of an axe, which is 3 damage higher than punching.  Honestly for the effort it would take to kill something with lucy, I'd rather just go werebeaver and break rocks to get flint.  Or just kill stuff as a werebeaver, the werebeavers damage is the same as an axe, but deals 17 more damage to treeguards.

Freeze and overheat resistance, waterproofness, night vision, omnitool, bonus damage against treeguards, and also recieves 25% damage reduction from all sources.

Understand that Wolfgang has more weakness's tied to him even to this day, he suffers from a 2x-3x hunger drain if hes in normal or might form.  His wimpy form requires hunger to be 100 or less just to get normal hunger drain, and in that state he deals significantly less damage.  So low that he actually can't even kill rabbit's with boomerangs in the state.  Other players can just top off their hunger since there's no reason to otherwise, but wolfgang has to carry food on hand for on call transformations.

On top of that, wolfgang also gets increase sanity drain at night and near monsters.  Do you really think woodie's disadvantages are more severe?  Woodie suffers no damage penalties at all, can restore sanity without draining any resources, has a permanent unbreakable axe, and can activate an omnitool nightvision form that can also offer protection from heat and cold.

Just like how wolfgang can be played powerfully and efficiently when used right, so can woodie.

Werebeaver form isn't the insanely overpowered version it was in singleplayer, but it is far from useless.

Edit: In fact, I bet as soon as the caves update hits, Woodie's werebeaver form is going to be insanely useful, since you can immediately explore caves as werebeaver and take advantage of his nightvision and infinite gnawing to gather lots of resources.

You can't gather lots of resources, because gnawing rapidly fills your meter, and you can't pick anything up.  You can scout pretty well, and get your sanity back just planting pinecones once you have everything mapped.  It's not like he's going to starve.

I don't think Woodie even used perfectly is going to be as powerful as wickerbottom, wigfrid, or wolfgang (after 2-3 seasons have passed, anyway).  My concerns about him aren't that he's too powerful, or even too weak.  It's that wereform is just not very useful.  Except for full moons, the only reason to use it is to refill your log meter essentially for free if you're cutting down trees.  You chop a few, gnaw a few, plant a few pinecones to replenish the area, and move on with your day.  The night vision, omni-tool aspect doesn't really play much of a role because you can only break a few boulders before you shift back anyway, now down 50 sanity.

It's largely forgettable, for the most part.  Eat an occasional log, plant a pinecone for easy sanity, and you'll probably not use wereform until forced to do so by a full moon.

I've posted before about how wolfgang doesn't have good "feel" to play, especially in a group.  Flat hunger (2x) is much better in terms of his playstyle.  It shouldn't punish him so severely (3x hunger drain is painful, scaling hp and damage is awkward) and shouldn't have his playstyle shift dramatically early and late game (stay wimpy most of early game, stay mighty late game because you have belt of hunger/hibearnation).  There's a sense of progression, but when the "strongman" is wimpy because being strong wastes huge amounts of the group's resources, the playstyle and character are at odds.

My main issue with the werebeaver, which might seem strange to others, is I just want to survive as the Werebeaver completely independent of Woodie.  Nightmare creatures suck in Werebeaver form.  If Klei went and changed it so sanity doesnt affect UNTIL you turn back, I'd be sated.

Archived