Ideas for Woodie

Woodie is a pretty balanceed char.. he has 1x damage. what do you want from him more? 5x damage in werebeaver form and 100% damage reduction? Is that what you mean by mechanical balance? DS woodie was an OP char for DST and it was even OP for DS itself. the point you dont wanna understand is this.. DST is currently too easy with bunch of players.

Werebeaver is not for fighting. giving him free flint (ability to chop and mine) and free log suit 80% damage reduction in werebeaver form-if it was given) and a free tentacle spike (spike damage-if it was given) and ability to not to oveaheat and freeze (if it was given), free night vision would make him too OP.. Then you would not need logs, grass, twigs and flint. It would be a boring character to play with.

Would be a too powerful char for DST PvP servers. stay in werebeaver form as long as you want... those old powers would be given i dont care but then sanity penalty must be really significant to discourage people to stay in werebeaver form but then this will affect chopping down trees in werebeaver form. it is all about PvP and multiplayer game experience. This is why DS woodie was not suitable for DST and i like DST form.. Pretty balanced and does not make other chars too weak against him in pvp servers.

DS woodie's only problem was jerky, which is too easy to get and this is why I did not play as Woodie in DS because he makes me get bored easily. For DST i dont play as Woodie too because I just dont really like to use the character itself no matter what.

First of all, pvp in DS is shallow, and pvp considerations should not be a priority.  The game mechanics do not lend themselves to complexity or excitement.

Woodie is not OP right now.  His werebeaver form gives weak damage and 25% damage reduction, which is really no different than 0% because you won't fight with that form.

The problem with woodie is he provides nothing significant to the team, and his wereform could have some interesting decision points, but ultimately it's pretty meaningless.

I'm not suggesting that we overall buff woodie, I'm suggesting we give him something that makes him useful in a way that matters.

I used to love playing as Woodie on large survival servers with the ghost sanity drain because of how simple it is for him to gain sanity. I find him to be extremely easy to play.

You can just sit in any biome with birchnut trees and chop them down all day. He chops them extremely fast and if you only chop the largest trees in the autumn you'll get 2 birchnuts per. In practice, you can gather an enormous amount of birchnuts quickly, considering you mind your werebeaver bar.

Plant them for sanity and eat them for hunger. If they are about to spoil, plant them and chop them down again.

If you're nearing a full moon, drop a stack of logs on the ground in preparation (which you shold have plenty of as woodie) I rarely opt for the werebeaver form unless I'm felling a very large forest. Honestly the werebeaver form isn't worth being in and probably only serves as a downside, although the night vision is helpful for his first night if I'm chopping trees and want to continue doing so.

First of all, pvp in DS is shallow, and pvp considerations should not be a priority.  The game mechanics do not lend themselves to complexity or excitement.

Woodie is not OP right now.  His werebeaver form gives weak damage and 25% damage reduction, which is really no different than 0% because you won't fight with that form.

The problem with woodie is he provides nothing significant to the team, and his wereform could have some interesting decision points, but ultimately it's pretty meaningless.

I'm not suggesting that we overall buff woodie, I'm suggesting we give him something that makes him useful in a way that matters.

Dude are you real? DST is about multiplayer and PvP is the reality of multiplayer.. How cannot it be the priority? So you are saying lets put an OP Woodie to ruin PvP experience... Like I am gonna choose wolfgang to worry about my hunger, have to find pig skin to make helmet gonna go to swamp to find tentacle spike and a woodie guy come beside me in werebeaver form to finish me off.. This is ridiculous..Lotta people do play PvP too. You can continue to play OP woodie in DS. He had to be balanced for multiplayer. Anyways, you want it or not Woodie will stay like this (purely due to PvP reality of multiplayer experience) and I am happy with the change. I would not want everybody to choose only a single char in PvP or non PvP servers to get free log suit, free tentacle spike, free summer winter protection etc... Does not make sense even for DS itself. Even for non-PvP servers DS woodie is OP for DST.

PvP would be ruined with DS woodie. This is why we have DST woodie. For non-Pvp he is not weak since he can do 1x damage like everyone else. For PvP he is not weak too. he can be werebeaver in 20 days once due to full moon (which is compulsory) and even in a PvP server if he becomes a Werebeaver his speed boost makes him possible to escape miles away and his enemies cannot even touch him.. Other than couple of days in 300-400 day he does 1x damage and throughout those couple of days (werebeaver form) nobody can kill him due to his speedboost and night vision).

So he is not OP like in DS. Just a balanced char like Wilson which must be for a multiplayer game. If you ask me, wigfrid is an OP character too. Her special helmet which is much better than a normal football helmet, and special spear makes her OP for PvP servers and most preferable character for non pvp servers too. It is an indication that the char is OP. i mean she can already do 1.25x damage why there are such items exclusive to her (at least dont give them as a starter item)... She just needs rock and gold to make a much better helmet than the one made with pig skin.. Pig skin is harder to get and its helmet is worse than the other one.... Definitely an OP start.

Dude are you real? DST is about multiplayer and PvP is the reality of multiplayer.. How cannot it be the priority? So you are saying lets put an OP Woodie to ruin PvP experience... Like I am gonna choose wolfgang to worry about my hunger, have to find pig skin to make helmet gonna go to swamp to find tentacle spike and a woodie guy come beside me in werebeaver form to finish me off.. This is ridiculous..Lotta people do play PvP too. You can continue to play OP woodie in DS. He had to be balanced for multiplayer. Anyways, you want it or not Woodie will stay like this (purely due to PvP reality of multiplayer experience) and I am happy with the change. I would not want everybody to choose only a single char in PvP or non PvP servers to get free log suit, free tentacle spike, free summer winter protection etc... Does not make sense even for DS itself. Even for non-PvP servers DS woodie is OP for DST.

PvP would be ruined with DS woodie. This is why we have DST woodie. For non-Pvp he is not weak since he can do 1x damage like everyone else. For PvP he is not weak too. he can be werebeaver in 20 days once due to full moon (which is compulsory) and even in a PvP server if he becomes a Werebeaver his speed boost makes him possible to escape miles away and his enemies cannot even touch him.. Other than couple of days in 300-400 day he does 1x damage and throughout those couple of days (werebeaver form) nobody can kill him due to his speedboost and night vision).

So he is not OP like in DS. Just a balanced char like Wilson which must be for a multiplayer game. If you ask me, wigfrid is an OP character too. Her special helmet which is much better than a normal football helmet, and special spear makes her OP for PvP servers and most preferable character for non pvp servers too. It is an indication that the char is OP. i mean she can already do 1.25x damage why there are such items exclusive to her (at least dont give them as a starter item)... She just needs rock and gold to make a much better helmet than the one made with pig skin.. Pig skin is harder to get and its helmet is worse than the other one.... Definitely an OP start.

You really didn't read my post at all.  I didn't suggest anywhere that woodie should be made like DS, I said his wereform should have purpose.

PvP in DS is not something anyone should take seriously.  It was never set up to be a pvp game any more than minecraft is.  People still pvp in minecraft, but no one cares.  If I wanted to play a pvp game, I'd play something built from the ground up for pvp.

Woodie's problem is that wereform is not good for anything, and especially not pvp.  It has zero utility.

You could go wereform in dst, but you're just going to get sleeped and killed even easier.

Long story short: Woodie needs his wereform to have a purpose, not just be buffed.  PvP is silly, and while some people insist on doing it as their main activity, that doesn't make it less silly or better balanced.

You really didn't read my post at all.  I didn't suggest anywhere that woodie should be made like DS, I said his wereform should have purpose.

PvP in DS is not something anyone should take seriously.  It was never set up to be a pvp game any more than minecraft is.  People still pvp in minecraft, but no one cares.  If I wanted to play a pvp game, I'd play something built from the ground up for pvp.

Woodie's problem is that wereform is not good for anything, and especially not pvp.  It has zero utility.

You could go wereform in dst, but you're just going to get sleeped and killed even easier.

Long story short: Woodie needs his wereform to have a purpose, not just be buffed.  PvP is silly, and while some people insist on doing it as their main activity, that doesn't make it less silly or better balanced.

PvP is a part of multiplayer. You may not like but there are people who likes to play. It is all preference. I am not gonna argue about that since PvP is the part of multiplayer and you don't like it does not mean that PvP is unnecessary..

This is why he cannot get buff.. From the very beginning I find a character like Woodie is way too OP. Thats what I am trying to say. Too easy to play DS with him. Sometimes really boring cuz of no challenge. In the first place, I really did not understand why such an OP character is added to DS...

DST balanced it and Werebeaver form has a use.. Chop down trees. To make it useful, you want a buff like 80% damage reduction and a tentacle spike damage. Sorry but that does not fit the standards of PvP and even non-PvP servers. So end of the line for me.. No OP char in DST please... This is good.

If those buffs are gonna be given, there should be a real discouragement for it not to be werebeaver. Such as losing sanity even more than today. like if his sanity is gonna reach to 0 in two minutes and if speed boost is taken away, then that tentacle damage and 80% free log suit may be given (werebeaver running speed must be little bit less than or equal to a regular character)... And also sanity boost from planting pinecones must be taken away so he cant be werebeaver over and over just to go killing spree in PvP servers with Werebeaver form (overheating and freezing should stay same too so he should be vulnarable to weather effects). If his sanity would reach to 0, terrorbreaks should attack him like now.. If it would be like this it is ok he can be. Otherwise nope. No OP char please.

PvP is a part of multiplayer. You may not like but there are people who likes to play. It is all preference. I am not gonna argue about that since PvP is the part of multiplayer and you don't like it does not mean that PvP is unnecessary..

This is why he cannot get buff.. From the very beginning I find a character like Woodie is way too OP. Thats what I am trying to say. Too easy to play DS with him. Sometimes really boring cuz of no challenge. In the first place, I really did not understand why such an OP character is added to DS...

DST balanced it and Werebeaver form has a use.. Chop down trees. To make it useful, you want a buff like 80% damage reduction and a tentacle spike damage. Sorry but that does not fit the standards of PvP and even non-PvP servers. So end of the line for me.. No OP char in DST please... This is good.

If those buffs are gonna be given, there should be a real discouragement for it not to be werebeaver. Such as losing sanity even more than today. like if his sanity is gonna reach to 0 in two minutes and if speed boost is taken away, then that tentacle damage and 80% free log suit may be given (werebeaver running speed must be little bit less than or equal to a regular character)... And also sanity boost from planting pinecones must be taken away so he cant be werebeaver over and over just to go killing spree in PvP servers with Werebeaver form (overheating and freezing should stay same too so he should be vulnarable to weather effects). If his sanity would reach to 0, terrorbreaks should attack him like now.. If it would be like this it is ok he can be. Otherwise nope. No OP char please.

I'm beginning to think you have some real issues with reading comprehension.  Thinking woodie is OP in singleplayer when wickerbottom and wigfrid exist boggles the mind.

I don't think that making wereform a combat form is the best solution.  I actually think that removing him building his meter from gnawing, reducing the sanity drain, and improving his damage against rocks would be a much better solution.

That way, you could use werebeaver for mass resource gathering.  You go werebeaver, chew up a forest and a rocky field, and eat some logs and shift back.  Plant some pinecones, and enjoy your many stacks of resources.

Right now, werebeaver slightly improves your speed cutting trees at the cost of sanity, and is similar to using a pickaxe against rocks.   Shifting back is incredibly easy when you can gnaw anything to build your meter, and makes it much worse for mass resource collection.

I'm beginning to think you have some real issues with reading comprehension.  Thinking woodie is OP in singleplayer when wickerbottom and wigfrid exist boggles the mind.

I don't think that making wereform a combat form is the best solution.  I actually think that removing him building his meter from gnawing, reducing the sanity drain, and improving his damage against rocks would be a much better solution.

That way, you could use werebeaver for mass resource gathering.  You go werebeaver, chew up a forest and a rocky field, and eat some logs and shift back.  Plant some pinecones, and enjoy your many stacks of resources.

Right now, werebeaver slightly improves your speed cutting trees at the cost of sanity, and is similar to using a pickaxe against rocks.   Shifting back is incredibly easy when you can gnaw anything to build your meter, and makes it much worse for mass resource collection.

wigfrid is OP. wickerbottom is not so.. Her books are useful but does not make her overpowered in most of the combats. since tentacles are not really effective against some kind of fight and finding food is not a problem with any char so yeah. Wickerbottom is a good char and powerful but not op. I mentioned why wigfrid is op in one of my comment here in this topic. I dunno if you have seen that.

That solution is not really good either. Because in this case, some griefers can choose him just to stay in werebeaver form and chew everything in their way. Chew alchemy engine and eat its boards to stay longer, chew  chests eat its logs to build up your log meter. They can chew whole base and then escape to forest to build their log meter to make him stay forever like that. kind of a godmode especially if you add immunity to weather effects too.. you can survive without needing any food while griefing others.

Or someone who gets bored can choose him to go to werebeaver form to chop down all trees and then eat all of them. Think about that logs everywhere or nowhere due to 3 werebeaver in game easy collect or hard to find a tree or grass tuft... They can easily gnaw all grass in the map and you will have no tuft to get grass... Would be an easy game for others or hard cuz griefing is an issue. I definitely chose him if I would be a griefer and if these changes would be implemented.. Pretty enjoyable game for griefer side too.. No need to worry about food, night, sanity, hp.. perfect life. Come chew other's bases, grass tufts then gnaw their trees to eat them all.. suck up the base while laughing at those guys. You can grief with any char but that would not be as easy as griefing all map with woodie.. no need to use any resource to grief and you can grief as long as you want. You can move quickly means that you can explore faster (night vision etc), you also dont need food so exploration would be even faster to find secret bases.

wigfrid is OP. wickerbottom is not so.. Her books are useful but does not make her overpowered in most of the combats. since tentacles are not really effective against some kind of fight and finding food is not a problem with any char so yeah. Wickerbottom is a good char and powerful but not op. I mentioned why wigfrid is op in one of my comment here in this topic. I dunno if you have seen that.

That solution is not really good either. Because in this case, some griefers can choose him just to stay in werebeaver form and chew everything in their way. Chew alchemy engine and eat its boards to stay longer, chew chests eat its logs to build up your log meter. They can chew whole base and then escape to forest to build their log meter to make him stay forever like that. kind of a godmode especially if you add immunity to weather effects too.. you can survive without needing any food while griefing others.

Or someone who gets bored can choose him to go to werebeaver form to chop down all trees and then eat all of them. Think about that logs everywhere or nowhere due to 3 werebeaver in game easy collect or hard to find a tree or grass tuft... They can easily gnaw all grass in the map and you will have no tuft to get grass... Would be an easy game for others or hard cuz griefing is an issue. I definitely chose him if I would be a griefer and if these changes would be implemented.. Pretty enjoyable game for griefer side too.. No need to worry about food, night, sanity, hp.. perfect life. Come chew other's bases, grass tufts then gnaw their trees to eat them all.. suck up the base while laughing at those guys. You can grief with any char but that would not be as easy as griefing all map with woodie.. no need to use any resource to grief and you can grief as long as you want. You can move quickly means that you can explore faster (night vision etc), you also dont need food so exploration would be even faster to find secret bases.

You're making a lot of assumptions beyond what I'm suggesting, and/or you really don't understand much about wereform.

Currently, wereform has 25% water resistance and some resistance to heat and cold. He's not immune to any of it, and as a result could easily get caught unprepared and freeze/burn/soak and go crazy faster. There is no way to heal in wereform.

Literally all the griefing you're suggesting would be done faster with a torch, or only slightly slower with a hammer. If you find someone's unguarded base, griefing is easy, as is starting forests on fire.

I'm also not suggesting that the sanity drain be removed, just reduced. That way you could stay in wereform for longer, but you'll still be at low sanity after.

Also, wereform cannot access their map, which means that someone trying to grief would either need to have excellent memory, or would end up lost.

I'm not sure how you think wickerbottom isn't one of the strongest characters. She can't be put to sleep, she can generate stacks of grass and twigs easily, she makes tentacle spikes and spots renewable, and she can establish a base faster than anyone else by starting with a spear, shovel, backpack. She's probably the strongest group character.

This will be my final reply, because you don't seem to have a firm enough grasp on the topic to provide worthwhile discussion.

You're making a lot of assumptions beyond what I'm suggesting, and/or you really don't understand much about wereform.

Currently, wereform has 25% water resistance and some resistance to heat and cold. He's not immune to any of it, and as a result could easily get caught unprepared and freeze/burn/soak and go crazy faster. There is no way to heal in wereform.

Literally all the griefing you're suggesting would be done faster with a torch, or only slightly slower with a hammer. If you find someone's unguarded base, griefing is easy, as is starting forests on fire.

I'm also not suggesting that the sanity drain be removed, just reduced. That way you could stay in wereform for longer, but you'll still be at low sanity after.

Also, wereform cannot access their map, which means that someone trying to grief would either need to have excellent memory, or would end up lost.

I'm not sure how you think wickerbottom isn't one of the strongest characters. She can't be put to sleep, she can generate stacks of grass and twigs easily, she makes tentacle spikes and spots renewable, and she can establish a base faster than anyone else by starting with a spear, shovel, backpack. She's probably the strongest group character.

This will be my final reply, because you don't seem to have a firm enough grasp on the topic to provide worthwhile discussion.

Would be a griefing char for sure ;).. I dont make an assumption.  Even he would be vulnerable to weather effect as now, he can still grief for first 20 days of every world. More than enough to destroy an entire map. Especially if there is a Woodie team of griefers like 2-3 as a group. Nightmare. Anyways.. I believe it will be a griefing char for dedic servers. I played this game over 2000 hours and I know what i am talking about... yes torch can make it too, but other chars will have hunger sanity and other issues and you will have none of them. You dont have to use any resource to grief too. you are faster, you have a night vision. So it is a perfect gift for a griefer... Griefers generally go with either webber and willow atm.. Top choice would be Woodie if you do that ;). would be infamous for griefing in dedic servers. If somebody can make a mod like that I would gladly add it to show you how it can be used to grief an entire map (or just open up your DS, create a new world with Woodie go to werebeaver form and destroy everything stay in werebeaver for 10 days and see the result with your own eyes.). People even use webber's spider eggs to grief portal spawn, or willow's lighter to burn everything. Torch does not stand that long but willow's lighter is better to burn almost couple of biomes as a whole. This is that kind of griefing opportunity but not only couple of biome, whole map (no hunger, sanity, health, no night problem. Awesome tool). No more griefer char please.. Especially in my dedicated server. They are already alot and infamous with choosing willow and webber.

When you should make changes you have to think big circle. Game is not only about your private servers or dedic servers that you play with known guys.. There are bunch of people, noobs, griefers, strangers, dedicated servers without any spectator, non-pvp servers, pvp servers etc... Any change would ruin game experience in at least one of them. So brainstorming is important and current woodie is the product of it because they added him so late..

Anyways DS is still out there and it will have SW expansion. So old woodie is still out there it can still be selected by his fans to play. DST is a different game. There are other players and other parameters. No one will care a world as it cares its world in normal DS. Even a server owner would not care that much a DST world as his DS world, how can a griefer care? Especially if he has a nice immortal griefing tool.

Well anyways this is my last post.

I don't think anyone has on a grasp on what this is... all of a sudden there is normal DS which i didn't intend to refer to and a ton of talk about pvp... what? I'm just saying these 2 words: efficiency and convenience, werebeaver has both. You just got to know when to use it and when not to.   No downsides to Woodie except he heats up a little faster in summer. Werebeaver isn't a downside because you can chop trees in summer/winter with few risk, and sanity isn't a problem. Sure, the log meter can be annoying but in the long run you are still gaining tons of wood really fast. Like seriously, how is that a downside?

I don't think anyone has on a grasp on what this is... all of a sudden there is normal DS which i didn't intend to refer to and a ton of talk about pvp... what? I'm just saying these 2 words: efficiency and convenience, werebeaver has both. You just got to know when to use it and when not to. No downsides to Woodie except he heats up a little faster in summer. Werebeaver isn't a downside because you can chop trees in summer/winter with few risk, and sanity isn't a problem. Sure, the log meter can be annoying but in the long run you are still gaining tons of wood really fast. Like seriously, how is that a downside?

Werebeaver has forgettable efficiency and convenience.

Cutting trees in summer/winter is already not a problem. beaver is arguably worse than human form for temperature extremes

Key word - "arguably" Now i guess we can just agree to disagree. This will be never ending to players who like Woodie and players who don't.

I don't dislike woodie. I think that the werebeaver lumberjack is awesome.

But as it stands his wereform was a lot of work to code for a very minor use. If they removed it completely, it wouldn't affect woodie play much.

Actually, it's more of a "I'm a new player who can't chop wood good" arguement versus, "I've been around the block a while and werebeaver is useless."  I personally wish the Werebeaver was immune to Nightmare Monsters, so he'd actually be useful.

"I'm a new player who can't chop wood good" No. Iv'e been playing don't starve for a while and i can get past the first 300 days (can do better but my world is still going so, wait and see). It's not always skill that requires you to get wood but its a very tedious task IMO and ticks me off that i need to sped a ton of time chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping, 

Even with a couple of these guys. Iv'e heard the "get pigs" method before.

:happypigs:  :yaypigs:

"I'm a new player who can't chop wood good" No. Iv'e been playing don't starve for a while and i can get past the first 300 days (can do better but my world is still going so, wait and see). It's not always skill that requires you to get wood but its a very tedious task IMO and ticks me off that i need to sped a ton of time chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping, 

Even with a couple of these guys. Iv'e heard the "get pigs" method before.

:happypigs:  :yaypigs:

Okay then, watcha doin' with all that wood lategame?

Fuel for everything, log suits, tons of tooth traps, making every type of fire (just in case), making more pig houses, and lean-tos.

List seems a little short but with 7 fling-o-matics there is always wood to burn. Yes, i do use Gloomer's goop but it takes a while to get a good amount so you gotta substitute sometimes.

Fuel for everything, log suits, tons of tooth traps, making every type of fire (just in case), making more pig houses, and lean-tos.

List seems a little short but with 7 fling-o-matics there is always wood to burn. Yes, i do use Gloomer's goop but it takes a while to get a good amount so you gotta substitute sometimes.

Fuel is a lot easier if you set up by beefalo, armor should last you until the next hound wave at least, there are only two types of fires, the number of pig houses necessary is limited (and they each repesent only a few trees) and 7 flingomatics is both a massive waste of fuel, and only used during summer.

The vast majority of your wood use is exaggerated or optional. There is a huge difference between a resource you need a lot of, and one you simply use inefficiently.

Set up by a beefalo herd, fuel just isn't a thing you worry about between wool and manure. Farms can use a lot of the latter, but there's still a limited number of farms needed.

Dude, i have a base next to a massive heard, why didn't i think of that? *Sarcasm*

Then what you're saying doesn't add up.

Pig houses aren't a constant drain on wood, chests don't constantly drain wood, if you have a large herd then you have plenty of poop/beefalo hair for fires and flingomatics.  You shouldn't need more than a trickle of wood in 3/4 seasons.

Sure, you need a decent amount of wood to establish a starter base, but you also need around a stack of gold, a stack or two of rocks, and I always wish I had more rocks.

I went out and got 2 stacks of manure, 53 beefalo hair, and used it ALL in 1 day, and it wasn't enough for what i needed. I plan having a massive pig village to help fighting giants and make helmets for the pig army. I haven't used 1 rock in about 20 days... My play style is different, rocks are irrelevant to me. So, i have rocks i can toss around without a care but id love more wood. You couldn't care less about wood while you need lots of rocks. Interesting...

I went out and got 2 stacks of manure, 53 beefalo hair, and used it ALL in 1 day, and it wasn't enough for what i needed. I plan having a massive pig village to help fighting giants and make helmets for the pig army. I haven't used 1 rock in about 20 days... My play style is different, rocks are irrelevant to me. So, i have rocks i can toss around without a care but id love more wood. You couldn't care less about wood while you need lots of rocks. Interesting...

I understand being able to blow through 2 stacks of manure on fertilization and farms, but beefalo wool is only for fuel... and you'd be burning a whole stack of logs, plus some, in a single day.

Unless it's summer or you're not turning your flingomatics off, I don't understand how you could possibly blow through that much fuel.

Ah yes, because an army of pigs is so useful against AOE Giants.

Archived