Opinions about my base?

Some tips/ideas:

- place the fridge near cookpot (you can open simultan fridge and pot)

- think about the summer, you should place the flingomatic to save your stuff for smuldering/burning

- you doesn't need the science machine if you have a alchemy engine (destroy it and loooot)

- tent near fire (light)

looks a little bit chaotic ;)

greetings

marie

You can't always rely on being right next to your base* when things start burning, so it pays to have the flinger functioning nearby,

*(Though the game won't burn your base down while you're on the other side of the map, once you're within a short distance it becomes fair game for the merciless heat.)

5 too many crock pots for me. One is more than enough unless you are gonna make a lot of taffy in one go. Tooth traps would be good but no need to rush em. No idea where are you gonna put the fling-o-matics once the summer comes.

As said, consider making an fling-flang-o-matic or two before summer. The research machine can be hammered down.

To add to the discussion: Keep in mind that walls are only good for keeping peaceful creatures a-bay, as hounds etc. can break them with relative ease. Luckily, almost all creatures prefer to walk around walls, allowing for trap tunnels.

As said, consider making an fling-flang-o-matic or two before summer. The research machine can be hammered down.

To add to the discussion: Keep in mind that walls are only good for keeping peaceful creatures a-bay, as hounds etc. can break them with relative ease. Luckily, almost all creatures prefer to walk around walls, allowing for trap tunnels.

Yeah, walls around your base aren't all that useful. Especially considering that if you stick around in your base and fight when hounds come or a giant, you're liable to have your base destroyed or burned down. Set up a clearing for fighting stuff a safe distance away from your base, and covering a good portion of that clearing with tooth traps will come in handy too.

On a side note, I've discovered that since bees are aggressive during Spring, bee boxes are a fantastic place to deal with frog rain. And when evening comes, you'll have a huge supply of frog legs and stingers on the ground.

Walls mostly constrain your ability to expand your base.  I only use them for fire farms, burning tumbleweed catchers and a rabbit ranch.

Building next to the ocean will get you overrun by pengulls, but it also makes it easy to find flotsam for Wolly.  It's a trade-off.

Bee boxes should be near, but not in the base so that you aren't evicted by bees in the spring.

Try to lump similar things together and give them enough room to expand.  I used to put drying racks all over the place, but I've learned to set aside a dedicated, organized space for 16-24 of them (you might not need that many).  Chests for storage will need a significant amount of space if you stay in the same world for more than a hundred days.

I like my first fire pit so serve as a kitchen/workplace with a birdcage, ice box(es), crock pot and research stations near enough to use at night, and 1-3 chests nearby to hold spare fuel for the fire and seasonal clothes so they're always available on short notice.  Sometimes it's the middle of the night, the season is about to change and the hounds are baying, y'know?  Don't fight red hounds in your base.

I can usually get by with 1 crock pot, but if you like to cook pierogies in bulk, say 10-20 in a night and then go off adventuring for days without cooking more, then it's helpful to build 2-4 crock pots.  You probably won't need more than 1 in your first year, though.

I also like to build an extra fire pit a short distance outside my base and eventually surround it with tooth traps.  Why?  So I can quickly run to it at night to fight red hounds without burning everything.

Building next to the ocean will get you overrun by pengulls

On a counterpoint, having many pengulls around results in easier ice rocks and eggs / rotten eggs, which is partly the reason I like to build next to the ocean and expand into the land.

I've always wondered, if you build a wall on the ocean border and build your base from that point on, will pengulls even be able to go into your base?

Yes, they'll just demolish the walls.  They'll sort-of walk around walls and through available openings, but they're clumsy and imprecise and tend to knock down the edges.

Still not as bad as what spiders do to walls, though.

Harsh. Well, thanks for clearing that out.

Beefalo herds also used to do a lot of damage, don't know if they still do, but I couldn't even have some around for easy manure and defense without them destroying all my stone walls overnight. Haven't done it with spiders and probably won't do, heh

Archived