Just a Whisper of Woe

Well, since my last thread I got deleted, I have to open a new one. :p I still don't understand why to be honest. So could the person, who is in charge of this, send me a private message, please? Don't worry I'm not mad I just want to discuss it.

Just a little explanation for people who didn't read it: I pointed a finger at 2 guys and told what they did. I said names and even linked their steam profiles. Now I see people don't want this here, so I won't redo it. I won't apologize, though, because didn't do anything wrong.

- -

The main reason why I made this thread is just to "whine" a little bit about it and you can do this, too, if you want to.

Today 2 guys destroyed our camp one of them smashed all farms, all machines, chests etc. while the other one burned the rest of camp down. I can't understand how some people can be such dicks? I simply don't understand it.

How often does something like this happen? Have you made similar experiences? Just let me hear your whisper of woe ;)

It happens on nearly every server and on every game. Don't worry you'll get used to it. We all do.

Also the reason you can't just call them out is because technically they aren't doing anything wrong. There is no rule in place that punishes or prevents players from causing damage to the play of others in DST aswell as many many other games. Spoiling peoples fun is simply another way to play. Technically speaking of course. But it is - I can't swear here so - a mean thing to do and the majority of people frown upon it, however some games make it an entire feature! I like those games. 

• Developer
Today 2 guys destroyed our camp one of them smashed all farms, all machines, chests etc. while the other one burned the rest of camp down.

You could've used those mods that prevent griefing, you know? Those are good.

I simply don't understand it.

Some people just like to see the world burn, quite literally in most cases.

Have you made similar experiences?

Everyone has been griefed at least one time in life, I'm sure of that. 

It happens on nearly every server and on every game. Don't worry you'll get used to it. We all do.

Also the reason you can't just call them out is because technically they aren't doing anything wrong. There is no rule in place that punishes or prevents players from causing damage to the play of others in DST aswell as many many other games.

I see your point. But if the host is strictly against such behavior then it is wrong. One got to obey the hosts rules.

You could've sued those mods that prevent griefing, you know? Those are good.

hmm, I guess I have to get those mods then...

Some people just like to see the world burn, quite literally in most cases.

lol :grin:

Well, since my last thread I got deleted, I have to open a new one. :p I still don't understand why to be honest. So could the person, who is in charge of this, send me a private message, please? Don't worry I'm not mad I just want to discuss it.

Just a little explanation for people who didn't read it: I pointed a finger at 2 guys and told what they did. I said names and even linked their steam profiles. Now I see people don't want this here, so I won't redo it. I won't apologize, though, because didn't do anything wrong.

- -

The main reason why I made this thread is just to "whine" a little bit about it and you can do this, too, if you want to.

Today 2 guys destroyed our camp one of them smashed all farms, all machines, chests etc. while the other one burned the rest of camp down. I can't understand how some people can be such dicks? I simply don't understand it.

How often does something like this happen? Have you made similar experiences? Just let me hear your whisper of woe ;)

Before the thread was deleted, I said that Klei didn't want to police the servers. It would be rude to do so, and I respect their decision.

If you don't want griefers there's few mods that prevent griefing and the steam group/friend/private server functions are available. There's no solution to griefers. Humanity is as destructive as they are social.

Before the thread was deleted, I said that Klei didn't want to police the servers. It would be rude to do so, and I respect their decision.

If you don't want griefers there's few mods that prevent griefing and the steam group/friend/private server functions are available. There's no solution to griefers. Humanity is as destructive as they are social.

I believe that there has to be a way, how everyone can enjoy the game...I doubt we'll reach that goal by upgrading our own servers

the steam group/friend/private server functions are available.

Thanks for this hint!

I believe that there has to be a way, how everyone can enjoy the game...I doubt we'll reach that goal by upgrading our own servers

In my opinion, if you want to have your own group of server admins, go right ahead. Klei should not have to get involved into a matter relating to your server(s).

Using the Server Bulletin might help, but sometimes people can be lying, so it is good to trust, but don't give full trust.

I see your point. But if the host is strictly against such behavior then it is wrong. One got to obey the hosts rules

What? I can do whatever I want. In the game and in real life. The law doesn't say I can't kill a person, it just says that if I kill a person, I'm going to jail.

Same here, I can destroy any base I want, even if the host doesn't want me to do it. The price of doing so, though, is that I'm getting banned.

Wait, how is it fun to grief? I feel like every griefer's life is like this:

"hehehe I destroyed bases in 8 games today, good job me... I wonder why nobody wants to be friends with me on steam :L ..."

2 hours later: "What am I doing with my life :| "

But seriously, what's the point? You'll just get banned anyway and servers can be rolled back in time, so your griefing effect in the end did nothing but waste your time. Does it feel good to achieve nothing from doing something you know will get you nothing? How is it even fun? You don't enjoy yourself in the game, all you're doing is trying to spoil other people's gameplay and failing massively because ban and rollback, bich!

What? I can do whatever I want. In the game and in real life. The law doesn't say I can't kill a person, it just says that if I kill a person, I'm going to jail.

Same here, I can destroy any base I want, even if the host doesn't want me to do it. The price of doing so, though, is that I'm getting banned.

And the server gets rolled back and the base is back the way it is. You know, you're smarter than you make yourself out to be. Just seems like you hit some walls here and there >_>

I remember seeing your other thread... yeah, the reason it was removed was because it called out specific players as griefers, and Klei doesn't police that. There's too many what-ifs, even if screenshots are involved. Think of it this way, what if you were the griefer? And rather than destroying a base, you were destroying other players reputations by calling them out as griefers and getting them banned before they could ever play? Anyway...

Yep, we've all run into them. I still remember my first Willow who asked "how can I help?", then proceeded to burn all of my twigs and berries before logging out. Thankfully, I know how to read a log.txt and obtain IDs, and I was able to add her to my blacklist and shared it with friends. I learned the hard way that making base near the portal is NOT a good idea. When I host a world now, I typically make it friends-only. Sometimes I'm in the mood for public, but if that's the case, I make people survive several days on their own before I start coordinating with them. Mods can also help with griefing, I personally like Natural Respawn because of all the configurables. Don't forget though, there's also the Rollback option. It may reset you a day, but that's better than rage-quitting due to losing all your hard-earned progress.

On a lighter note, I also remember my first Wickerbottom. She came to base and asked for Papyrus, which I directed her to. She proceeded to make Applied Horticulture, spam it while refilling the farms with seeds, and logged out after finally providing us with 2 Dragonfruits. People like her are awesome and make up for the jerks. 

And the server gets rolled back and the base is back the way it is. You know, you're smarter than you make yourself out to be. Just seems like you hit some walls here and there >_>

While I don't usually grief, I'll admit that I sometimes do it (usually when I join a server and see some OP mod-character), and your mistake is assuming that people even know that they can roll a server back. 9 out of 10 servers that get griefed, die immediately and reset.

While I don't usually grief, I'll admit that I sometimes do it (usually when I join a server and see some OP mod-character), and your mistake is assuming that people even know that they can roll a server back. 9 out of 10 servers that get griefed, die immediately and reset.

Mate you don't even grief the skrub webbers? Top kek.

Archived