Playing on YouTube

Unfortunately, the eighth video ("ALL OF THE CLOAKS") is similarly cut off, and it seems we're missing more of your exit strategy.

EDIT: The ninth video ("Drug Store") is also missing its conclusion.

That is frustrating. I think I found the problem: the MP4s (encoded by OBS) have errors in the AAC audio tracks at the timestamps where YouTube cuts them off. I will try to fix these videos. (I did fix this problem in one video already, because YouTube rejected it rather than truncating it.) Thanks for letting me know.

That is frustrating. I think I found the problem: the MP4s (encoded by OBS) have errors in the AAC audio tracks at the timestamps where YouTube cuts them off. I will try to fix these videos. (I did fix this problem in one video already, because YouTube rejected it rather than truncating it.) Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you for your diligence!  That does sound frustrating.  Speaking for myself, I've found your videos informative, educational, and interesting, and I really appreciate your taking the time to make sure they're fixed.  Will you let us know here when they're done?

Any other challenge modes I could try?

If you keep looking I am trying a challenge run myself : Kill everyone. I only include Guards at the beginning of each level not those who spawn at 4+ alarm level.

Archived Shalem seems to be a good choice for this challenge but I often have trouble with 2+ armor Guards (damn K&O). I should try using On-File Shalem.

The hard part is that you never have CR between the Cleanup cost and the Charge Pack. Good luck.

Actually, warfreak, could I ask a favor?

The only place to see the credit animation seems to be the end of the game.  I have the opening and closing animations downloaded from YouTube.  Would you mind putting the credits up there at 720p?  I just like watching the fine work the animators did, as well as showing them off to people (they're so pretty, even if they are sparse; you don't usually get pretty animations from a good strategy game at all, so it helps me sell the game as something with nifty extra touches on top of a strategic polish so fine you can see your face in it).

I'd appreciate that very much, but I know it's an imposition, so don't worry about it if it's a bother.

addams: I skip the animations because I assume people have already seen them. They are findable on YouTube though - here's the ending including the credits in 720p.

Oh, sure.  That's true most of the time.  I certainly don't mean to ask you to do it as part of a playthrough.

What you linked to is not entirely what I meant, though.  I meant the credits that play when you click on "CREDITS" in the opening screen.  Sorry about the confusion.

Agent Alone challenge: completed. I'll try installing Cyberboy2000's mod - if I get it working, that will be my next run.

I fixed the three corrupted videos as best I could - I wasn't able to recover the audio, but the last few minutes of (silent) video are now present on 1-4, 1-8 and 1-9.

Some nice examples in 6-7:

- when to leave doors open*

- Oracle vs. lockpick odds/value calculations

*2 examples at least: discussion of example where door is visible to guards but adjacent squares are covered, and also example near the end where agent is cloaked.

Agent Alone challenge: completed. I'll try installing Cyberboy2000's mod - if I get it working, that will be my next run.

I fixed the three corrupted videos as best I could - I wasn't able to recover the audio, but the last few minutes of (silent) video are now present on 1-4, 1-8 and 1-9.

Brilliant!  Thanks so much!

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like the seventh video in your second series (your first "Expert Plus Plus" run) -- a video titled "Misdirection" -- is missing its end.  Which is a shame, because it looks like you were in a real pickle, and I was eager to see you get out of it.

I started my run with Cyberboy2000's challenging enemies mod, somehow I have survived all the way to the final mission (which I'll play tomorrow). First mission here - spoiler: I had a good RNG. Other missions will follow once they finish uploading. Well this is embarrassing: I recorded 9 missions without realising the microphone was off. I will try another run tomorrow...

Huge thanks to Cyberboy2000 for the mod - "challenging" is the right word...

Unfortunately, the end of the eighth video in your second series ("Detour") is missing its end.  Where you were going was easy to see, though.  (Did you get the "Valuable Tech" from the Scanning Amplifier or not?)

EDIT: The ninth video in that series ("Blunders!") cuts off early as well.  It looked like you were making it out, but that was one I was eager to see you escape.

Like others have said, thanks for the videos, they're very informative as well as entertaining :)

It's a pity that a common reaction from seeing a video post to think "ugh, just one of those let's player wannabe who rambles." I shamefully had that thought... but I'm glad I watched your videos; they're awesome!

Keep up the good work.

OK, I have a run on Cyberboy's mod with the microphone on! I'll leave it uploading overnight.

addams: wow, seems like OBS is breaking rather a lot of these files. I've now told it to write FLV files instead of MP4 - I think it should be more tolerant of errors. 2-7 and 2-8 are fixed with the usual few minutes of silence at the end. 2-9 was more broken than the others, so the resulting video gets a ~10 second gap (during one of the guard turns) at about 51:50. The good news is I keep learning about ffmpeg! Thanks for letting me know about these bugs.

purple_goldfish: *thumbs up*

Thanks for the videos, warfreak2! Very informative and fun. My skills are not nearly as good, but watching you doing stuff and explaining the decision making process helped a lot.

As for challenges, take a look at my "Programs Extended" mod. An Expert Plus Ironman run with Breach, Root and Cyberboy2000's guards would be awesome.

PS: If you are interested, I can send you archive with already combined mods to skip manual editing.

Here's the run on Nightmare Mode (Expert Plus, Ironman, Cyberboy2000's challenging enemies mod).

Thanks again all for the comments!

2-7 and 2-8 are fixed, YouTube says 2-9 is still processing which probably means the file is still broken somehow, so I'll try again with it.

As for challenges, take a look at my "Programs Extended" mod. An Expert Plus Ironman run with Breach, Root and Cyberboy2000's guards would be awesome.

I believe this would be literally impossible, unless you do a mad dash for the exit on every mission, forgo all money and upgrades, and then get a miracle super-lucky final mission map (i.e. both objectives next to the first room, all guards and guard elevators on the opposite side of the map).

I just can't see any sensible strategy for Root - Emergency Reserve rewards you with 5/3 PWR per turn if you can maintain <= 3 PWR on 1/3 of your turns, while Root gets you 1 PWR per turn if you can maintain 0 PWR on 5/6 of your turns. It's not "strictly worse", but it's clearly much worse.

I believe this would be literally impossible, unless you do a mad dash for the exit on every mission, forgo all money and upgrades, and then get a miracle super-lucky final mission map (i.e. both objectives next to the first room, all guards and guard elevators on the opposite side of the map).

I just can't see any sensible strategy for Root - Emergency Reserve rewards you with 5/3 PWR per turn if you can maintain <= 2 PWR on 1/3 of your turns, while Root gets you 1 PWR per turn if you can maintain 0 PWR on 5/6 of your turns. It's not "strictly worse", but it's clearly much worse.

I guess the point was to make it as hard as possible. The most useless breaker and generator in the game. I sort of see your angle though, perhaps like me you would prefer the challenge come from mechanics that are outside your control and doesn't restrict the way in which you tackle it.

I don't think Root can really be called a generator - it's more of a credit card than a salary. My point was that it would just make the game a lottery which you have to play to the end to find out if you won. If someone else wants to take on the challenge and prove me wrong, be my guest - you'll be a much better player than me!

I don't object to prescribed-choice challenges (no-inventory-far-travel is one).

I have to say, it's always a pleasure watching you play through such a hardcore mode. I don't think I could ever match your skills.

You've been giving yourself quite the challenge with all these challenging guards. Have you ever thought of the possibility of equalizing the challenge, where with the challenging guards, you've given much more stronger ranged weapons in return? Because I also wondered what it would be like if you've tried using my gun rehaul mod. Maybe it'll change how you play, maybe it'll make you have ridiculously high clean up costs, or maybe it'll do nothing because those guards are always so challenging. Just a thought to see what would happen if these mods met, Cyberboy2000's challenging guards and my Violence is Bad mod.

Congratulations on your latest run, warfreak2! Managing to beat "Nightmare mode" is pretty awesome. That PING in final mission tho, it really saved your ass back there. I tried briefly newest version of Challenging Guards and System Admin guys in every mission can really complicate things on Expert Plus. You should have fun with that one.

PS: I updated my mod, both new starting programs should be fun to play with now. Take a look if you like.

Archived