[Mod] Challenging enemies

This is a mod that takes all the existing guards and buffs or changes them more or less to make the game harder. There's also a few unique enemies in the mix.

This mod was suggested by warfreak2 so he can play it on his Youtube channel. Enjoy!

If you find any bugs or have a suggestion please post it here.

Currently there is no support for a Steam workshop version, but I will look at that in the future.

List of changes:

Initial release:

Extended guard patrols

Wider field of vision

Unique buffs for some vanilla enemies

Four new enemies, plus the unused MKII

Two new types of enforcers

Update 1:

Some small tweaks

Drone scanners now ignore walls

Some more enforcers

Update 2:

Assaults have a new ability

Some guards will now appear in other locations than originally

Long patrols are now more common

Fixed augmented guards not working properly

Expanded peripheral vision slightly

Update 3:

MKII's no longer open Incognita for no reason, and close Incognita afterwards

Nerfed Augmented Security

Scanner Security Guards now have local scanners

New guards are (hopefully) more common

Miscellaneous fixes and tweaks

Several new enforcers

Added System Admins

Mod files can now be accessed separately (those who want to use the mod normally have to open Challenge guards.zip and take out scripts.zip)

Added a surprise >: )

Update 4:

Several new guards

Omni Soldiers no longer throw grenades

Nerfed failsafe protected drones

Miscellaneous fixes and tweaks

Update 5:

Two new guards

Fix a bug that could cause the game to freeze when disguise was used

Challenge guards.zip

Ok, I added this to the Modlist. Also, Im going to try this one out, Im interested in the new guards. Also, I could create a version for you which makes the stronger guards an option in the campaign generator. (Which would also make this mod a good part for a big mod where multiple modders change the experience, like FTL CE)

Edit: @warfreak2 I think so, it isnt hard to make these tooltips.

Yes tooltips are in.

@HumanKirby If you want to make these guards a campain option, you could just make it a custom guard option (instead of less, normal or more guards)

Also I'm planning on adding these guards in my overhaul mod, but I'll lessen their strength a bit before that.

Yes tooltips are in.

@HumanKirby If you want to make these guards a campain option, you could just make it a custom guard option (instead of less, normal or more guards)

Also I'm planning on adding these guards in my overhaul mod, but I'll lessen their strength a bit before that.

Yeah, I meant to add them there (espacially since this option could easily overwrite it if I add it else where (since I nearly double the spawntable (I explained it where weird, I dont think anybody will understand what I just wrote))) If you need any help (which I doubt since you have more experience than I), just ask, I often see my silly mistakes not, and 2 minds can be more efficent (or waste alot of time)

Edit: Also, some enemys are quite cool from the scripts ive seen

A small update. Tweaked some numbers and made some changes to the way enforcers work. Also changed drone scanners to ignore walls at the cost of some range.

Do not install an update while you're in-mission. Wait until you've completed the mission or start a new campain.

This mod (on Expert Plus & Ironman) is Nightmare Mode. Highly recommended! Big thanks to Cyberboy2000 for posting it.

Currently uploading my run: I have somehow survived to the end of day 3. I think I've seen about 6 new guard types, so I guess there are a few surprises waiting for me in the final mission (which I'll play tomorrow).

First mission here (spoiler: the RNG smiled greatly upon me). Well this is embarrassing: I recorded 9 missions without realising the microphone was off. I will try another run tomorrow...

Ok here's another update. Sorry if it is a bit late. If you have already started a mission you have to wait until after the mission before downloading. Or you can just restart the campain if you want that. I also edited the list of changes.

Edit: Mini-update. Just changed some numbers.

Hey Cyberboy. I've been trying out the mod so far and I love it! However, I just can't seem to get used to the upgraded line of sight for the guards, and I would like to keep the rest of the mod but revert their range of sight. I tried moving a copy of the files in the scripts.zip titled line of sight, but it doesn't seem to work. Could you tell me where I could find the files for reverting it?

PS: Great work on the mod! Really adds a challenging twist to the game.

Here's a step by step tutorial on how to change the line of sight back to normal

Open sim\unitdefs\commondefs.lua

On line 436, change math.pi / 2 to math.pi / 4

On line 438, 440 and 460, change 3*math.pi / 4 to math.pi / 2

Save and open sim\unitdefs\guarddefs.lua

Delete the lines 259, 365, 454, 572 and 852.

Save and profit.

Update: Several bug fixes and balance changes. Also added several enforcers and an evil secret >: )

Also added a new type of guard called system admins. They spawn even on security level 1 and work like a mix between MKIs and MKIIs. However they are pacifists and will flee if alerted. That should hopefully make the early levels a bit more interesting.

I was hoping to get this update out before warfreak2's next playthrough, but he surprised me with it already today. Ah well. I'll release it now here anyway.

@Shirsh It's in the update.

A surprise? Great, Im into such things. However, I mostelikely just go trought all the code and find it. :p I just dont have time, scool started (examines next year, yeah) and Im totally sunk into the Ace Attorney series (Ive completed 2 games, play one currently, have one send to me, and they announced a new one just some days ago. However, I hope they port DGS). So yeah, most likely I will pick up playing and modding somewhat after the DLC. I have just squetched out alot of runs'n'hourse out of II this year

Update: Several bug fixes and balance changes. Also added several enforcers and an evil secret >: )

Also added a new type of guard called system admins. They spawn even on security level 1 and work like a mix between MKIs and MKIIs. However they are pacifists and will flee if alerted. That should hopefully make the early levels a bit more interesting.

I was hoping to get this update out before warfreak2's next playthrough, but he surprised me with it already today. Ah well. I'll release it now here anyway.

Apparently I did! On the positive side, this gives me a perfect excuse to do a third run on this mode...

Hello again. I've been trying out your mod for a while, and I quite enjoy it. However, I've encountered a bug, and quite a fatal one at that.

Using Archive Prism's disguise causes the game to...forget...what animation to play for each agent, not just specific to Prism, but to every agent after ​​​the disguise is activated. Each square you move must be individually clicked to move anywhere, and if you fail to disable the disguise by the end of the turn, the game freezes. You are stuck in a purgatory-like state where it appears you are able to move, the game is still running, but you cannot move, and the only thing you can do is exit the game. Upon re-entering, the file is corrupted and you can either regenerate the level or continue from a save point before the crash.

Here is a still frame of Archive Prism using her disguise standing still, but in mid-walking animation, which plays forever, regardless of if you are in motion or not.

post-344475-0-94705100-1442199237_thumb.

Here depicts the purgatory-like state where it shows you the tiles you can move, but you can't actually click anything. Also, one major point to add, this is happening during the enemy turn, hence the missing "End Turn" button.

post-344475-0-05574600-1442199230_thumb.

I've encountered this bug an innumerable amount of times, and I've tried to get past it, but I just can't at some points and it just breaks the game and makes it unenjoyable. I hope you can find a fix for it. Thank you for your time.

It happens mostly above alarm level 2 (but that's because that's when dynamo kicks in and I use it more frequently) but not always. If ever another agent is noticed by a guard, it "updates" the game and the bug is fixed until it happens again, possibly because the game realizes where the agents are and what to do with them.

To reproduce, play as Archive Prism and On File Shalem and use the disguise until this bug is found.

PS: I was playing a Chief Financial Suite Plastech (obviously) level in the screenshots.

PPS: I also have another mod installed that allows Shalem's Enhanced Optics augment to tag guards for 2 PWR. I'm assuming this doesn't have anything to do with the bug, since that mod only affects observePath.lua, and I manually installed it to make both mods compatible (and I didn't edit strings at all (since it seems impossible)), that means it has nothing to do with the disguise (I think).

The only manual editing I did aside from these two mods is changing the % chance of wings appearing at server farms from practically never (5 and below) to 10.

PPPS: This bug occurs regardless of the guards' line of sight and sight range (you probably remember me asking how to revert the guards' sight).

Here is the txt log.

invisibleinc.txt

I hope this helps. Thank you for your time. :-)

Oh and one last thing, through the bug, I've noticed that during the bug, Shalem has one of the funniest effects. With the game forgetting what animation to play, moving Shalem to another square causes his animation to be a teleporting dead body. It's quite the spectacle.

Update:

Fixed the bugged disguise. Also added two new guards for the sake of symmetry. They weren't too difficult to make, but play with some interesting concepts.

This will likely be the last update for a while. I'm pretty satisfied with what is done and I'm also trying to do school and work on some stand alone projects. Maybe when the DLC comes out I will return. If someone else finds a bug or has a good suggestion I may make some small updates but for now I want to consider this mod complete. It was really fun to work on this and I hope you also enjoyed playing this mod.

@addams013 I added the changelog from the main page to the downloadable file. You can also check sim\mod version.txt to make sure you are running the correct version.

Ok, I finally started to play this mod. Whooo, its quite fun, espacialy if you havent played like the last two months (and before just some small runs to test mods) and start an expert run. Also, I really love you used some of the old guard abillitys (they cant spot trought Prisms disguise, right?)

Archived