Collaboration [ANIMATORS - PLEASE READ]

My two greatest interests (in winter, when I cannot run cross country, and when school is out) are Don't Starve, and composing music. Mostly classical in style. I feel a combination of the two is possible. But music alone would not do this game justice in artistic homage. Also, I'm pretty sure that Klei is going to keep their current composer, so I can't compose music to be added to the game. I have always loved cartoons, dating back to the era of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (I knew who he was before Epic Mickey) up to the occasional good cartoon on TV now. I also enjoy anime, but that is not always on TV, sadly.My proposal is that someone makes a 1-2 minute long animation, showcasing some aspects of Don't Starve in a cinematic format. A fan trailer of sorts, but also telling a story. After sending me a silent version through forum message, I will compose music for it and send you the sound file (.wav and .mp3). I have three requests: the character must be Wilson, the animator must compile the sound files into the video, including the sounds of any animals in the game, and the animator must publish it on YouTube. Just credit me as composer as Naipseht.If multiple people apply, I will have to choose the best animation at my discretion. Please try to keep as true to the art style and atmosphere of the game as possible. I thank you in advance for your cooperation, and I hope to receive numerous excellent animations.Deadline to apply to animate is January 28th.Deadline for submitting animations is February 28th.Entered:GermolinMetaMushRoomsirmentlegen

Edited by Naipseht

Hello. I was going to do it myself, but I don't have any good idea for fan animation, so, yeah. If you have any or if you can sketch it in comics look (even stickmans would be great) that would be even more awesome. Think about it and let me know, okay? :)Here's my animation reel (new animations not included, though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eam3-uovI

Hello. I was going to do it myself, but I don't have any good idea for fan animation, so, yeah. If you have any or if you can sketch it in comics look (even stickmans would be great) that would be even more awesome. Think about it and let me know, okay? :)Here's my animation reel (new animations not included, though):

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eam3-uovI

my comics from my thread does that help?

It is completely up to you what you want the story of the animation to be, as long as it fulfills the three criteria listed in the first post. I'm in no hurry, so take your time making your animations. I am adding a deadline to the first post.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eam3-uovI

maybe i can give u with the story though is a rough sketch and wilson's facial expression.

post-2754-13764589988915_thumb.jpg

post-2754-13764589989627_thumb.jpg

it is up to you if u want to use Wilson's expression as your reference.by the way the story starts from left to right.

That story could work, although it would be better if it showcased more aspects of the game other than fires at night and hound attacks. Try implementing some weapons, maybe a more concrete base, with a science machine, since that's really how you unlock everything in the game. Like I said before, it's all up to you, and send me your animation when you finish. You have two months from today to submit, so make it pretty! Even if I don't choose it, at least you'll have something to showcase.If you are going to submit an animation, please say so in a post. I need to compile a list of entrants.

But back on-topic...Interesting fact: all of the music in Don't Starve that I've heard is in 3/4 time: sunrise, sunset, title screen, during the day...the only music that strays from this is battle music, which is in 4/4 time. Can't wait to compose some music for this, I've been practicing creating a mood in music.

Let me hear your composing examples. You should understand that there's going to be several themes with random mood. Also, I'm not going to spend too much time on it for a "tv quality" cartoon. It would be two-three weeks or so. That would be pretty enough for 2 minute animation. I'm not going to use too much fbf as well (well, it actually depends on style and quality of toon). So it's going to be mixed tween and some fbf animation. I mean… it isn't a comission or something. Just a collaboration. And here's another thing: I won't be the only graphic/animation artist in this collab.

Edited by Artem

I'll post a link for references to some music I've composed shortly. Regarding your entry, just make it how you like. I don't care about the specifics as long as it fulfills the three necessary criteria listed on the first page. All the specifics of quality and multiple people working on it are up to you.

Edited by Naipseht

These? These are just little atmospheric songs I composed a few months ago. They will most likely not be used in the video. If you do publish the video on YouTube, you have to give credit to the animators as well as myself, and that's not until after the submitting, judging, composing, and recompiling is over.

These? These are just little atmospheric songs I composed a few months ago. They will most likely not be used in the video. If you do publish the video on YouTube, you have to give credit to the animators as well as myself, and that's not until after the submitting, judging, composing, and recompiling is over.

I don't see no anemationz ther.

Thank you very much. To be completely honest, these compositions just don't satisfy me on their own since they are merely atmospheric pieces. Paired with a visual aspect, such as an insane person's actions for the Humoresque or a sad moment in a movie for the Nocturne, they would satisfy me. I've composed more formal works, Gavottes, Rondos, and the like, but those are not well-suited for background music, as they have a soul of their own without being forced into accompanying events in a work of drama. I hope to receive many animations, and I will try to compose music for each entry if I have time.

They're just little incidental pieces I composed a while ago. They don't need to fit into the animation, and they probably won't. That's why I wanted to see a silent version of the animation, so I could compose the music directly into the events happening on-screen. But thank you for your compliments.