Don't Starve: Pocket Edition Coming to iPad

Its possible that the beefalos were "in heat" (aka they're breeding) and you can't really go near them without getting attacked. They have a red butt while this happens

I definitely attacked them first - it just wasn't clear at the time what triggered the attack. I must have dragged over them while trying to move, or something. I tested if the grayed out interact button lets you attack mobs behind it - it doesn't, so the only way I can see is if I accidentally touched one.

I also know what happened with the crock pot now - I tried making a lightning rod but it vanished like the crock pot did, but I just needed to return to the science machine to click "place" rather than build another. I thought that the crock pot and lightning rod would appear in my inventory if I didn't place it right away, so I didn't return to the science machine to look for it. I must have missed the "place" button with the crock pot, so I just made another from scratch.

I definitely attacked them first - it just wasn't clear at the time what triggered the attack. 

That´s because the red punch button defaults to attack anything, including friendlies. It is like the Ctrl+F.

The green action button that you describe works just like spacebar on the desktop, it picks up things on the floor and uses the currently selected tool if possible.

I played just a litte bit (5 days) and I think its great, but I have a feeling the game will have to be adapted some things on the touch interface just take too long to get done.

That´s because the red punch button defaults to attack anything, including friendlies. It is like the Ctrl+F.

The green action button that you describe works just like spacebar on the desktop, it picks up things on the floor and uses the currently selected tool if possible.

I played just a litte bit (5 days) and I think its great, but I have a feeling the game will have to be adapted some things on the touch interface just take too long to get done.

I'm sure I wasn't pressing the red button. Weird thing is I was being really careful because I had just died to accidentally attacking one 3 minutes earlier and was returning to pick up my stuff. To avoid problems, I've been unequipping tools when around them since you don't attack with bare hands.

Hi there! Yesterday I saw this on one of gamesites. It says, that PE will come on Android on 6th August. Is it true? Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia.

At this time we do not have an announced version for android.

I have constantly crashing on my ipad mini 2 with custom world. There are no errors, app just close.

As far as we are aware, crashes on ipad mini 2 are caused by the ipad being out of memory because there is too much running in the background. Restarting your ipad should resolve that issue. 

If you restart your ipad and it still crashes, run this and send us a your system profile at http://support.kleientertainment.com

Hello Klei Devs,

Thanks for bringing this to iOS!

I've been playing this ever since it was released for PS4, this is one of my most favorite games of recent.

The pocket edition is great but here are a few minor issues I keep running into:

• Items behind objects are very difficult to get to. It's true that we have the camera rotation option available but even that doesn't help 100% of the time, especially if you're surrounded by trees or Beefalo for example.

• Often I find myself tapping on an object that I want to grab multiple times because the first tap isn't registering. Wilson just stands there until I tap either a second or third time. This happens about 30% of the time I would say, potential bug?

• It is very difficult to not accidentally fight with something you didn't intend to simply because you were moving in that direct and touched them. This is a flaw in the nature of the iPad, but if there was some preventive toggle to turn on/off in the options, it would be huge! (For the few crucial times you need an item but cannot afford to get into a fight)

Again, due to the nature of the touch screen interface, fighting it very difficult in this game. The benefit with using a controller or keyboard is to move and attack quickly, but users are stuck between attacking or moving, trying to do both seems frustrating and clunky. Because of this, I would love to know if you would ever consider supporting a wireless controller. I have used the SteelSeries Stratus Wireless Gaming Controller at an Apple Store and was really impressed with how comfortable I was using it. I think this game could greatly benefit out of supporting iOS gaming controllers.

Just my constructive criticism :)

Honestly though, this game feels at home on tablet, the interface is great and playing on-the-go from anywhere is a blast.

I'd love to hear from you, thanks for the awesome release!

-Winky

Hey Klei i don't want to give you more work or anything looks like you have too much to deal with now but i am sure that you know there is new Apple TV with Appstore and games. If i read right it is for 1$ to preorder for developers. When this badboy hit market there will be millions buyers as with anything Apple (you know) and there wont be much games on lunch since not everyone can push Apple TV version of their game SO if you manage to update your already Apple friendly Pocket Edition (since there are universal games with iPhones and iPads this shouldn't be much work - just my guess) you could be in Apple TV appstore with not that much of other games - this should give you great boost in downloads and also more people will know about DS.

It is just a suggestion. Every time Apple unveils something new (like Metal last year) there is almost noone that use this and Apple puts "New feature" collection on Appstore so you can be on first site where everyone will see DS! Also on Apple gaming sites, etc. etc. With Metal it was harder to update the game to support it but with Apple TV i think it is easier.

BTW DS on our big ass TVs will be just AMAZING!

After couple hours of game time with this pocket edition i want to share some feedback and bugs:

- i play on iPhone 5S 64GB with iOS9.1 and i must say it runs really well - good job on this iOS version! And thank you!

- i already unlocked all characters (is it 75days?) except Maxwell and Wes (i will play adventure mode soon) and i already completed one whole year with Wigfried - last unlockable character (so you know how much time i played)

- the game crashed only once and this was maybe because i am on iOS9.1

- when i was dealing with Bearger i was running low on battery so i saved the game, charge (didn't turn of) and when i open my save Bearger was gone and i saved it when i was standing next to him :( so i don't know if this is feature because i remember something like this from PC version

- sometimes items disappear!!! When i pick something from chest or icebox and try to put it in my free space in inventory but miss that free space (it is hard sometimes) then that item disappear! I lost really precious items with this bug so now on i am putting items on the ground and picking them from it after to be sure

- if i am killing spiders and holding "fight" button and kill them all then there is one bird near by so it automatically try to kill that bird even when it fly away, also i can't switch to pick button because my character needs to finish that fight action (i hope this is not feature because for example when i am near beefalo i missclick that "pick up" button my character wants to attack so i need to click somewhere on empty space to cancel that action because "pick up" button can't cancel it - this is worse in forest)

- when i build something i can place it right away but sometimes i need to go in crafting tab again and choose to place it - it seems that this is happening randomly because i didn't saw any pattern

- it is hard to cook something because adding food to crockpot doesn't work all the time. I get close to crockpot and in my inventory click on food and choose to "cook" but it only opens crockpot without putting that food there and when i try to do this again - with opened crockpot - it only closes crockpot without putting it there so it is real struggle to cook something :)

- sometimes when i want to pick some item from my inventory or chest or icebox - i hold that item to move it - but my character is not waiting for me to move that item where i want - lifting my finger - but already try to put it to place when i have finger at time inventory deselect

- sometimes when i pick up item from ground and my inventory is full that item only "jump" from ground showing me that i don't have place but sometimes it is stuck to my "cursor" so i can move it, eat it or anything

- i played Wigfried long time ago but i feel that she is loosing hunger much faster than any other character (i played Wilson, WX and Wolfgang) but maybe i just don't remember well

Other than these small bugs this game is awesome even on my little iPhone screen and i want to thank you for this (bringing your games to iOS) i love you Klei!

BTW can you share with us if you are satisfied with iOS downloads? Or some numbers? If it was worth it to port it to iOS? Since you were Editors choice and long time on first page of Appstore i guess it helped with downloads a lot. If you don't want to share this info with us nevermind i am just curious about this and your iOS future! .)

PS: i made new post on purpose so devs can see my feedback (i don't know if "edit" and new post are the same)

Archived