Best possible Don't Starve Expansion

Okay... So I've been thinking about this for awhile, --and trust me when I say I'm a HUGE Don't Starve fan xD. And what I'm really hoping to see for this game if Klei is still thinking about doing more with this, would be a MASSIVE final battle against Them.

Now hopefully all of you who are even the tiniest bit interested in Don't Starve know who THEM are. Them are the shadowy monsters and demons that control every living aspect of the world Don't Starve --DS for short. They could be seen in the video "The Amazing Maxwell- Final Act", dragging Maxwell and his assistant Charlie to their demise. From there, they used and manipulated Maxwell, torturing him even for fun and dragging thousands of innocent people into the DS world. And why? Merely because the Demons enjoyed watching innocent people die. Over and over again....

(Where did you think all those tons of skeletons came from?)

Now..... I'm not the kind of person who enjoys open-ended games. I was devastated after discovering the fate of my favorite character Wilson, and the never-ending cycle he and Maxwell play. That REALLY didn't go over well with me. But I have faith. And this is where my idea comes in. All of it being spurred on by the message you're given when you "beat" the game thus far.

"And so the cycle continues... The mysterious beings that control this place still lurk in the Shadows, and new challenges will soon be revealed."

My Idea: Seeing as that update was called "The Beginning of the end", what if the end of the end is actually a final battle against Them. Wilson (or whatever character you choose) teams up with Maxwell and embarks on a perilous journey together to escape from the DS world and destroy Them once and for all. The entire time seeing Wilson having to struggle with stopping himself from enacting revenge on Maxwell, as well as both of them striving to escape from the enraged Demons.

(I feel like a great deal of my idea is influenced by DeviantArtist Ecfor's "Blood eagles".)

This way, the game would have a definitive end, not to mention add new challenges and struggles, and create an interesting story where the game player must decide whether or not they should trust Maxwell or kill him. And who's REALLY the enemy and victim in this game.

--

Now that I've finished my rant/dreams. What does everyone else think?

post-609363-0-65925200-1434617762_thumb.

I do get what you're saying, I myself was actually a little ticked off when I first found out what the ending was, and I'd love to see a conclusion to it.

But...

I kinda feel that having a final battle and defeating Them so that everyone can go home is too... predictable. I mean, how many time have we gotten the "Heros defeat the big bad villain and go home to live happily ever after" story plot? Yes, I'd love a happy ending that ties up all the lose strings, but I want something different, you know?

It's too much of a happy ending. Plus the never-ending cycle of entrapment also serves to explain the games rogue-like tendencies. Not to mention it'd just be a really, really boring way to end the story. I'm sure Klei could do better than "Good guys beat Bad guys everything is happy now woo." if they ever do give a proper conclusion to Don't Starve's story.

I really don't think this kind of thing would work as a definitive ending. The lore is really set up in a way where the shadow creatures always win no matter what happens. Maxwell was on the Throne for about 20 real-world years and never succeeded in escaping, he even built a machine to escape with no success. Even when he is freed someone still HAS to be on the Throne, and Maxwell himself was only turned back to his mortal form to remain trapped in the DS world with nothing but that accursed book that started everything. A simple good guys beat bad guys happy ending would not really work here, something would have to be sacrificed.

And I really don't think the idea of Maxwell having trust issues or deciding whether or not he should be killed can work, because there is no reason at all for him to have a grudge against Wilson or the other characters. Once Maxwell was booted off the Throne, he becomes an irrelevant plaything just like the other characters. He has no motives to be against the other characters, he is trapped in the world just like everyone else.

Also, in the midst of all this, what happened to the last person who was on the Nightmare Throne? Canonically, Wilson swapped places with Maxwell, but we don't know what happened to Wilson after that. Maxwell couldn't have freed him because he would have simply repeated the cycle. Once Maxwell is added to DST Klei will have some explaining to do with the lore in regards to who is on the Throne, but right now we don't know.

I like your idea, don't get me wrong. I am a Maxwell sympathizer, and would like to see him set free (completely free). Something that has yet to be mentioned though, is the gameplay. Don't Starve does not have dialogue capabilities, and it's follower AI is rather bad (I'm looking at you Abigail, stay out of that water!).

On a side note, I WOULD like to see the shadow creatures play a bigger role in sandbox mode. A shadow giant would be awesome

While I don't really think that a "final battle" (emphasis on the word battle) would fit the rest of the game all that much, I would like to see the story continued. If the throne must have a person on it, I suppose they could con Wx-38 into releasing the lock. He's an evil robot, after all. Then Maxwell and Wilson could work together and still have it fit with the rest of the game's lore and rules.

Is it truly canon that Wilson replaced Maxwell?

That's how Kevin explained it, who is basically the Lore Master of the game. 

This is his timeline on the game lore as we know it:

The canonical timeline of the DS universe goes something like this...

1890s - 1906: William Carter origin story

1906: William and Charlie enter the DS world. 

1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.

1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).

*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*

?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell

?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.

?: Some other crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

?: The DST plotline begins.

Maxwell was on the Throne for about 20 real-world years and never succeeded in escaping, he even built a machine to escape with no success. Even when he is freed someone still HAS to be on the Throne
Question (this is gonna be hard for me to ask but) why is there no one on the throne before Maxwell arrives was Maxwell just really desperate and was the first one to ever be on the throne first? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask seeing as to how we don't know everything about the lore or w/e

Question (this is gonna be hard for me to ask but) why is there no one on the throne before Maxwell arrives was Maxwell just really desperate and was the first one to ever be on the throne first? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask seeing as to how we don't know everything about the lore or w/e

No one knows, it would probably be under the "crazy stuff that happened" that we haven't been told yet. You can theorize with what we already have though.  Contrary to what Maxwell says about there being nothing but void when he arrived, it would appear things happened before he and Charlie came.

The ruins people for example were a once powerful race that were supposedly destroyed by the influence of Them after they abused the power of Nightmare Fuel. Maxwell knows little about them, so it's safe to assume those events happened before he came.

Overall I think there was no one on the Throne before Maxwell. I think the shadow creatures destroyed the civilization and took it for themselves. When They captured Maxwell, they gave him the title of the "Puppet Master", giving him power and knowledge but also bound to a chair. He was then forced to use his power to create a "stage" that would ultimately be used for Them to watch mortals suffer and die as revenge for what Maxwell did, and he basically shoved the ruined civilization underground to never be seen again.

I also have another theory where the Shadow Creatures are actually the ruins people, but transformed from nightmare fuel. That's for another post though.

Don't Starve: Flood of Backstories

Price: Free

When we get bored of the game, well should begin to question backstory Lore Master Kevin probably wrote down on a post-it note in 5 seconds.

"Charlie is a female. Yep."

"Maxwell is actually a magician. Yep."

"Woodie's beard isn't actually made of hair. Yep."

"Wes is actually the secret god of all nightmares. Yep."

Archived