Deerclop's Face

I was playing Don't Starve Together with a friend the other day.  Unfortunately for us we were both killed by Deerclops.  As ghosts we decided to follow him around, and we noticed his face had changed after we died.  He looked very calm and almost somber.  His eye wasn't fully open like usual and his mouth was shut.  I was very confused and tried looking through the update notes as soon as I saw this but couldn't find any mention of it.  I don't know how long this has been in the game but can anyone delineate it for me please?  I have attached an image of it here post-508315-0-49614200-1433297238_thumb..

Strange, almost scary.  Maybe Deerclops is sentient and realizes the only people in the world who can be individuals besides his newly sentient self is the players which the code forces him to kill.  And now he knows you'll quit or leave eventually because you died, and thus ending his existence...

Now, on a serious note, this is apparently a new passive Deerclops in the latest update.  Should Deerclops destroy more structures than a certain amount he NEEDS to, he calms down, in the code known as neutral.  In this stage, he won't hurt or kill anything or anyone unless provoked.  Which means during Spring, Fall, and Summer, Deerclops can be kept alive should he not reach his quota.  Rather, he can continue harassing bases ALL YEAR LONG.  If Deerclops isn't asleep by Winter's end, he can continue his work all year round.

Strange, almost scary.  Maybe Deerclops is sentient and realizes the only people in the world who can be individuals besides his newly sentient self is the players which the code forces him to kill.  And now he knows you'll quit or leave eventually because you died, and thus ending his existence...

Now, on a serious note, this is apparently a new passive Deerclops in the latest update.  Should Deerclops destroy more structures than a certain amount he NEEDS to, he calms down, in the code known as neutral.  In this stage, he won't hurt or kill anything or anyone unless provoked.  Which means during Spring, Fall, and Summer, Deerclops can be kept alive should he not reach his quota.  Rather, he can continue harassing bases ALL YEAR LONG.  If Deerclops isn't asleep by Winter's end, he can continue his work all year round.

Will he stick around once passive, or does he try to despawn at that point?

Also his new face is somehow more horrifying than his original one.

Will he stick around once passive, or does he try to despawn at that point?

Also his new face is somehow more horrifying than his original one.

He will go away once passive, but he needs to be asleep when Winter ends to despawn.  Should he not be, he will remain in the world until next winter.

asleep

Asleep doesn't mean that the Deerclops has to be curled in the ground, snoring, with eyes closed.

Asleep means unloaded because it's far outside of the screen.

This means the Deerclops won't disappear if you can see it.

Deerclops will go away if:

1) Winter ends and he's out of screen

2) He's out of screen and he doesn't have a target, destroyed enough structures and lived more than 1/4 of a day.

Archived