Birds in Cages no longer take cooked Monster Meat for Eggs

Hey guys - we're going to make some more adjustments to the birdcage. Birds will starve at 25% of their normal rate while in a cage & birds will accept cooked & jerkied monster meats again.

Thanks for confirm, I agree with all of you, the bird cage was to powerful but the starving bird is the best nerf that can be implemented, after this the bird cage is quite more fair and less broken, now you won't be able to survive only with monster meat and eggs without a take care of your pet

the only reason it is easy is because we are already experienced, we know what to do and when to do them so we can get optimized food source at all times, join a public server and see how fast an unexperienced player starve to death if you don't feed them all day.

Because that is what makes the food gathering even easier than it already is. Sure, I do actually think that a lot of things in terms of food should be nerfed, but this one is the most OP one, more OP than meatball recipes, fish stick recipes or dragonpie recipes.

I for one support birds starving in a birdcage, but do appreciate the extended starving time.  And as far as feeding the bird monster meat goes? I think you should be able to feed them monster meat for eggs, absolutely.  It should just do an equivalent amount of damage to the bird that it does to you.  Meaning that a bird with no health regen can eat a total of 2 uncooked monster meats or 8 jerkies/cooked monster meats before you kill it with the next one.  So you can have your monster meat recycling birdcage, you just can't do it indefinitely without putting in a little more effort.

We may take a better look at the bird monster meat laundering in the future. For now we're simply going to revert the behaviours to the previous state.

First off, thanks so much for actually responding. So few game developers are willing to do that, so you guys earned a lot of respect from me right off the bat.

Secondly, I can see that this issue is a bit divisive so I was thinking of a good compromise and here's my initial thought - what if it was just dried monster meat, instead of dried and/or cooked? This would at least put a stop gap to the process and require more resources (more drying racks) to be especially productive. Cooked monster meat is such an easy condition that it's hardly different from giving it normal monster meat. Drying it first would require more time and resources, and along with the starving bird I could see this being a reasonable balance change.

Just my two cents. Thanks again for responding.

the only reason it is easy is because we are already experienced, we know what to do and when to do them so we can get optimized food source at all times, join a public server and see how fast an unexperienced player starve to death if you don't feed them all day.

Admittedly though, even beginners catch on quickly as to how to get food. Just give them a dozen hours and they'll have worked out you can do things such as punch butterflies and whack-a-mole, build a farm and so on.

How to best use the food is a different matter, but getting it is easy unless you end up on one of those 24 player servers. That certainly is trickier.

First off, thanks so much for actually responding. So few game developers are willing to do that, so you guys earned a lot of respect from me right off the bat.

Secondly, I can see that this issue is a bit divisive so I was thinking of a good compromise and here's my initial thought - what if it was just dried monster meat, instead of dried and/or cooked? This would at least put a stop gap to the process and require more resources (more drying racks) to be especially productive. Cooked monster meat is such an easy condition that it's hardly different from giving it normal monster meat. Drying it first would require more time and resources, and along with the starving bird I could see this being a reasonable balance change.

Just my two cents. Thanks again for responding.

It take so long to dry meats that I'd be very surprised if anybody even bothered doing this if it were changed to dried meats only.

Personally, I don't ever dry Monster Meats, because that time can / should be spent drying big meats that are actually worth something more than 1 egg.

The cost greatly outweighs the benefit w/ your suggestion, in my honest opinion.

I liked the change, so you could no longer process monster meat to good means willy nilly.

A user on reddit had a cool idea to make the bird pop out "Monster Eggs" when fed Monster Meat. That could be used to cook some new Monster Meat based dishes, which would add a lot more variety to the game. The only monster meat dish is Monster Lasagna, and I'm sure you agree that it is a pretty useless one.

I'd love to see distinct monster meat dishes, that have good hunger and decent health recovery, at the cost of sanity. For example, when adding 1 or 2 monster meats into a Meat Stew, make it a Monster Stew instead. There could be lots of interesting new dishes, like monster omelettes, Caesar monster salad, ..., instead of just the blant lasagne.

Starving will be a little harder, since you have to consider twice if you'd be willing to take the sanity hit, but in-depth mechanics for food processing is still kept and extended instead of outright removing Monster Meat from as a viable food source.

ill only support monster eggs if i can raise baby monsters from them.  otherwise it is entirely pointless.   there shouldn't be a whole list of monster food because one is not supposed to actively eat monster meat .   it would be like making an assortment of dishes based off the poisonous parts of animals , an interesting novelty for the rich and spoiled of the world.  hilariously impractical in a "survival game".

there shouldn't be a whole list of monster food because one is not supposed to actively eat monster meat .

But that's how Monster meat is currently used. It's essentially a super cheap substitute for one good big meat. Everyone is eating monster meat with none of its downsides, turning monster meat into good eggs supports this notion. Just shows, that putting Monster Meat or eggs processed from it into good dishes with no ill effects doesn't make a lot of sense.

But that's how Monster meat is currently used. It's essentially a super cheap substitute for one good big meat. Everyone is eating monster meat with none of its downsides, turning monster meat into good eggs supports this notion. Just shows, that putting Monster Meat or eggs processed from it into good dishes with no ill effects doesn't make a lot of sense.

The game doesn't make alot of sense, and i'd rather keep realism a good stretch away from it.

Though I suppose perhaps the meats poisonous attributes diminishes as it is cooked alongside other ingredients, as whatever monster meat is made out of, the bacteria or whatever is damaged when placed with other foods, making it still a poisonous item, but not poisonous enough to damage a human.

Like how chocolate is poisonous.

(Screams internally)

Actually use of monster meat to make eggs is extremely inefficient. It isn't about it being a super cheap substitute for a large meat by any stretch. 1 monster meat = 1 small egg. For all intents and purposes 1 small egg is equal to a morsel. So you are downgrading a monster meat heavily. When you consider that you require 2 monster meats to make 2 eggs then require another monster meat and a morsel or a full meat and a morsel. That isn't an efficient use of it in the least. The only time it is beneficial is when you are heavily farming spiders or other monsters and have a ton of it. Again for experienced players like us that isn't a problem and yes it seems easy. I spend a ton of time on public servers teaching new players how to play and I promise you it is far FAR more difficult for them to generate that kind of meat. Really from my perspective the only argument against meat to eggs would be due to the fact that they are easy gold from the pig king. Again something that largely only benefits advanced players. I really don't even remember the last time I used eggs from monster meat for cooking, I have too many better methods to bother. 

In short, It was a pointless change and I'm glad to see it reversed.

As for the whole bird hunger thing or even making the bird die after so many feedings of monster meat. Really these are trivial changes that honestly aren't going to make any real difference. It takes absolutely no time at all to catch another bird and even if they had it where it would die it is just a matter of having a trap out in advance. It is just a pointless change that doesn't solve any problems.

The game doesn't make alot of sense, and i'd rather keep realism a good stretch away from it.

And yet it's most realistic survival game I ever played. By realitstic I don't mean the world itself (which is of course full of monsters and magic) but a lot of things in this game make a lot of sense and are logical. Don't Starve also includes a lot survival mechanics that a lot of other games just ignore.

Monster meat as ingredient with no downsides it's one of those things that make no sense but it's beautiful mechanic becuase it allows player to use absolutely everything and no food is wasted. I would really hate to get tons of food which I can't use. Perhaps food that includes monster meat should start at 3/4 spoilage or something like that.

I for one support birds starving in a birdcage, but do appreciate the extended starving time. And as far as feeding the bird monster meat goes? I think you should be able to feed them monster meat for eggs, absolutely. It should just do an equivalent amount of damage to the bird that it does to you. Meaning that a bird with no health regen can eat a total of 2 uncooked monster meats or 8 jerkies/cooked monster meats before you kill it with the next one. So you can have your monster meat recycling birdcage, you just can't do it indefinitely without putting in a little more effort.

Make it so Crows take less damage from eating Monster Meat. ^___^

Or make the birds drop more random. Like, there's a 25% chance it will eat the meat and not return an egg.

The only thing I really hate is the starving bird mechanic I don't really care about the monster meat thing (cause let's be honest honey master race) cause monster meat is still useful for turning pigs into werepigs, also you can get mini guano poops from the bird and it's SO FREAKING KAWAII...Ahem (but in case you misunderstood you can't use monster meat to get guano from the bird cage) , also I think the only reason i'll make a bird is for farming which i'll probably make after first winter. ^_^

Edit : I am a dingus and forgot that rotten eggs are used in gunpowder so yeah might also need a bird cage for that too. xD

I'd prefer it this way around too. Looking after them sounds like a pain in the arse, especially if you collect a few for company. I mostly use my monster meat for werepigs or meatballs, and it's not too hard to find alternatives for eggs: rabbits, moles, frog rain, etc.

Archived