Brainstorming Thread

One of the main things I feel that needs to be part of DST is to have more ways/items to allow players to interact with other players positively. Things that would actively promote Togetherness.

Maybe something like, I don't know, a Dinner Table that will let players Feast together? 

Players can place food(that still spoils normally) at max four(variable) food items on each side of the Dinner Table and at max four(variable) players can gather around it, choose which meal they want to eat and then eat together. Players would only be able to eat their meal once every meal on the Dinner Table has a Feast Participant. Once every seat with a meal is occupied, the Feast ensues! Every character says something unique right before the Feast ensues. Like Wigfrid may say "Finally a feast!" or maybe something simpler like every character examines their meals first and says their quote for that specific food before eating it. Maybe even add a unique animation of each character stuffing their mouths with their hands alternately for a a few seconds instead of just one big gulp. Another idea of things that could happen on the Dinner Table would be depending on who you are eating with, the characters will say something unique to each other. If Wigfrid and Wolfgang are eating on the same table, they'll brag to each other about being the fastest eater. Anything along those lines.

Anyhow for the positives of using the Dinner Table: For every other player participating in the Feast, everyone gets +5 Sanity flat. As a stopgap for exploiting the sanity boost you get from a Feast, each player can only participate in a Feast once every 16 clock segments. The list below would possibly dictate how much individual sanity boost a Feast Participant gets:

• 1 Player on the Dinner Table: Feast results to 0 Sanity
  • 2 Players on the Dinner Table: Feast results to +10 Flat Sanity for each player
  • 3 Players on the Dinner Table: Feast results to +15 Flat Sanity for each player
  • 4 Players on the Dinner Table: Feast results to +20 Flat Sanity for each player
  • etc.

The numbers probably aren't too balanced yet, and of course the quality of the food a player chooses to eat on the Dinner Table shouldn't affect how much sanity they gain from the Feast. Players can decide to just Feast together with only Berries and they'll still gain the flat sanity boost by simply eating those berries together. 

"It's not the meal that matters but the company you dine with."

Hopefully it's not too overpowered, but it would definitely be a nice touch for DST to promote togetherness in some little way. Cheers.

Name : Reason

1) Parry : breaks stun-lock at cost of weapon dura or quality.

2) Poisoned Weapons (only sharp) : DOT that drains health or sanity or hunger can be made with different nasty materials (mushrooms / swamp stuff)

3) Blunt Weapon Effects : less damage than regular weapons but more effective at degrading armor dura.

4) Dyed Equipment : For style

5) Player Traps / Alarms : Helps vs griefing bases

6) Anti - Ghost Mechanisms  : Helps vs griefing bases (salt lines? walls good vs ghosts?)

7) Caves : enable more crafting gear

8) Cook with torch : Why cant i cook meat with my damn torch???

9) Anti - Sleep Food/Potion : Drains sanity but helps prevent sleep effects to help balance sleep in pvp  (coffee?)

10) Sunscreen : Help reduce fire damage / summer heat by temporary buff

11) Grenades : Explosive / Poison Gas / etc... use water balloon mechanic for pvp / farming

12) Dig / Fill-in : Hide chests from people by burying it... think mole rat home but instead of rocks you get your item back.

13) Temp - Speed Increase Items : To prevent insanely long chases without using wolfgang hunger buff or to get away when you need to.

14) Thirst : Collect rain or collect water from frog ponds... more survival

15) Water Containers : If you add thirst mechanic.

16) Lightning wand / Water wand : Sounds fun

17) Stealing / Snooping : Prevents me from killing players to make sure they don't have items i need / want.

18) Housing : Wooden floor + ability to add walls... prevents wetness and acts as a base wall?

14) Thirst : Collect rain or collect water from frog ponds... more survival   15) Water Containers : If you add thirst mechanic.
I wish people would stop asking for thirst mechanic there is a thing called mods for a reason.

I wish people would stop asking for thirst mechanic there is a thing called mods for a reason.

That arguement applies to anything and everything, not very constructive. Instead maybe explain why you think a thirst mechanic would be a bad idea?

@Zillvr, that sounds a lot like Darkest Dungeon's camp function O__O

I like it!! XD

I guess the issue is can you get out of the Feast while it is in session? Because I think hound attacks or a Giant Deerclops could put a damper on any meal...

@Asparagus, I imagined the Feast would only take just a fraction longer than the normal eating animation. Just so it'll be unique and the characters can have time for a short banter. With hounds and Deerclops, we've always had warnings for them so just get rid of the danger first before Feasting. lol

With an option to leave the mid-Feast, I think it'll be only fair that you won't get the sanity gain from the Feast  if you choose to leave it and everyone else that are still participating in the Feast with only gain the sanity boost based on how many participants are left at the end of the Feast.

But honestly, leaving the Dinner Table while others are still eating? That's just rude. -5 Sanity to you. lol

But honestly, leaving the Dinner Table while others are still eating? That's just rude. -5 Sanity to you. lol

My... my sanity points...

cries-in-spanish.jpg

EDIT: I ran out of likes for the day... that was actually a nice suggestion! :)

More items that encourage togetherness.

While I suppose the first on my list isn't an item, its something that I've wanted for a while now.

We should be able to sit around a camp fire, and gain a very slight sanity boost from it, with the characters having some dialogue to talk to each other with, which is based on the time of day, the character, and how full/healthy/sane they are. It can also be affected by what character sits next to whom. Having some animation while talking like smiling and whatnot would be neat as well.

For instance, if Willow and Wigfrid are together:

Wigfrid: I slayed so and so many tentacles today! They were a worthy challenge!

Willow: I burned down a house today, and set a spider alight!

Wigfrid: Was the spider a worthy opponent?

Willow: It was a dead opponent. Looked really pretty while it was dying though. Pretty fire.

Yeah, so something along the lines of that. I can see this being used at night time mostly, and the sanity boost would only be very small, so you couldn't sit down the whole day and expect to get alot back, encouraging people to not abuse it.

In terms of Wes doing this whole campfire thing, he'll actually just listen to whatever character is talking to him, nod yes and no, and just react accordingly to what the character says. The characters will have to have lines specifically for Wes since he does not speak.

The second on my list is an item. Yay.

Each character can build a character specific instrument. Playing by yourself gives you again, a very slight sanity boost which is so small cannot be abused, but you can choose to keep playing for however long you want. For this reason I suggest a decently long music bite of the instrument.

When another character joins in, the slight sanity boost will increase until it hits a rate of say... I dunno, 3 sanity, even if you have six players going, but each player will gain the sanity boost since they are joining the group. For anyone without an instrument, they get a third of the sanity boost by watching and cheering, so if the band players get 3 boost, the audience gets 1.

To combat the problem of say, having 3 Wilsons on a server, who want to do a song together, each instrument could be randomly assigned a different tone and volume, so all the Wilson playing the same instrument won't sound like 1 Wilson playing 1 instrument. They could also be assigned a different beat on random, so Wilson one does 1, 2, skip, 2 and Wilson 2 and 3 do the same beat but with different tones and volume.

As an added laugh, all the characters can play each others instruments, but won't play as well as the character specific for that instrument, so instead of getting 3 sanity max, it will be 1 sanity max for a band that even has one person not fitting the instrument, but the audience gets no sanity benefit. They will still be able to clap or cheer however. The audience will say something depending on the band formation and the character in question.

Thirdly, and lastly, since I have so many ideas it will take up far too much space, dancing and stuff!

This could be in combo with the band playing, but by itself it would be a way for two people to do a random dance together. If the dance like the conga, feel free to add however many you like. We can have huge group dance offs to solve all of our problems! Wouldn't that be fun?

The stuff part would just be anything from giving high fives to a slap on the back or something. A quote or two could be said when doing such actions.

@Vanderer, I'd also love it if they made more items, interactions, and perks that encourage togetherness i'd also like it if they made it so Wilson's beard hair could also be used to togetherness but I have no ideas on how they could that other than like clothing or sleeping in the beard even though that'd be a little creepy.

o3o

But I mean the beard hair is still useful so I wouldn't mind if they didn't give Wilson any new together perks.

But creepiness aside I also think Willow would be more help if she could put out wild fires without ice and I don't mean smoldering.

And also making Webber more of use cause i'd honestly rather have Willow in a "Team, party, in my base, whatever" than Webber cause he really doesn't bring anything to the table unless they gave a perk that helped other players or made it so befriended spiders not attack other players and also make it so players lose less sanity around said spiders but still lose sanity like maybe sanity loss would be spider queen hat loss also making so if players pressed f near said spider they won't attack them unless pvp is on then they should always be attackable with f other wise he's just a tankyer bigger stomach less sanity Wilson that produces 6 silk which is really easy to get if your Wendy and have Abigail, also finding spiders is easy just saying that since he starts with spider eggs yes it's a little helpful but i wouldn't say that helpful.

sounds like the nightmare amulet. o3o

True, but this has none of the dignity. : 3

Bonus stat could be that it's so bad looking it drains other peoples sanity by being near you. You are that fashion deprived.

You are that fashion deprived.

As opposed to wearing a giant block of ice or an afro (bush hat)

Hmm... the spider... it could go well with Wilson on Magnificent Beard mode with the beard socks and a Belt of hunger... he would be a dead ringer for an even hairier Webber...

Archived