What exactly is the point of the Dragonfly changes?

The Dragonfly now seems to only spawn in one area, boasting a ridiculous amount of health, with VERY mediocre loot after being killed.

I've tried getting it to spawn naturally by changing the game to only summer, with dragonfly spawning on high, and waiting in a base for like 10 days, but he never showed up. I'm not even sure he can.

Even if he does, what would be the point of him? He just ends up being a beefy hound. He auto aggro's onto you, and then just walks and slaps you a bit. He doesn't spit on things to set them on fire, and he doesn't do his fiery stomp attack.

Before, in normal RoG, he was the most passive, yet dangerous of the giants. He would walk near your base, and just start setting things on fire, but he wouldn't attack you unless you did first. He was a problem that had to be dealt with. Now there's no reason to fight him, you just have to lead him away from your base, de-aggro him, and then walk back. Boom, problem solved.

He feels like a shitty, annoying boss now that takes no thought or strategy.

I understand what Klei was going for with the magma pits area, having a kind of raid boss in the world isn't a bad idea, but I don't think sacrificing the Dragonfly for that idea is worth it. Maybe some new giant could be added instead?

Instead of adding more actual  survival mechanics: health conditions, improving sanity mechanic, adding more things to take care of to survive lets just slap few 100k hp static bosses here and there. Difficulty much.

I don't know how I feel about it honestly. I am still trying to get to my second summer to see if he still randomly spawns beyond the set piece that is in that desert. Since those Larvae he spawns don't seem to attached to that particular set piece. When I actually did spawn it through commands he still does spawn Larvae without the lava pools.

Maybe one suggestion would be to add two different dragonfly's in. So one would have the new mechanics (the one in the set piece but give you better loot) and the other one would have the old mechanics (randomly starts to appear during your second summer with less health). Of course one would have to be re-skinned differently, so you can visually tell them apart.

EDIT: It appears the Dragonfly can spawns Larvae by consuming items as well.

@XirmiX, did you try killing the lavae?

local function OnLavaeDeath(inst, data)	--If that was my last lavae & I'm out of lavaes to spawn then enrage.	if inst.components.rampingspawner:GetCurrentWave() <= 0 and data.remaining_spawns <= 0 then		--Blargh!		inst.components.rampingspawner:Stop()		inst.components.rampingspawner:Reset()		inst:PushEvent("transform", {transformstate = "fire"})	endend

Hmm that's a little bit disappointing, I think I would prefer it if it was just a timed event for summer only. The set piece can be there I guess but like the Dragonfly isn't. Or do what OP said and have it maybe be another giant for a constant world boss.

Would be interesting if they do follow this line for giants in DST. Each giant has their own set piece for their own biome and you visit them during their season.

@XirmiX, did you try killing the lavae?

local function OnLavaeDeath(inst, data)	--If that was my last lavae & I'm out of lavaes to spawn then enrage.	if inst.components.rampingspawner:GetCurrentWave() <= 0 and data.remaining_spawns <= 0 then		--Blargh!		inst.components.rampingspawner:Stop()		inst.components.rampingspawner:Reset()		inst:PushEvent("transform", {transformstate = "fire"})	endend

Well, ****, Dragonfly is now completely like Webber; a good idea with bad mechanics.

Before, in normal RoG, he was the most passive, yet dangerous of the giants. He would walk near your base, and just start setting things on fire, but he wouldn't attack you unless you did first. He was a problem that had to be dealt with. Now there's no reason to fight him, you just have to lead him away from your base, de-aggro him, and then walk back. Boom, problem solved.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/53027-why-dragonfly-doesnt-get-fire-and-doent-spit-lava/?p=631285

The reason that we used the Dragon-Fly specifically to explore the idea of a raid style boss is because, while she was a really interesting Summer giant in single player, a creature that roams around burning everything in sight becomes problematic pretty quickly for dedicated servers that last for huge numbers of days. So, to avoid destroying huge parts of the world, we're confining the Dragon-Fly to a specific area. That said, who knows what will come with Through The Ages!

He was a problem that had to be dealt with. Now there's no reason to fight him, you just have to lead him away from your base, de-aggro him, and then walk back. Boom, problem solved.

You are talking about the same dragonfly, in singleplayer, which could be put to sleep with 20 ash and after being off-screen for 10-20 seconds, he would despawn?

It's pretty much the same thing. If you want his loot, in singleplayer, you kill him.

If you want his loot, in multiplayer, you kill him.

The fact that dragonfly was seasonal was kinda neat, though. But that's all there is.

I can suggest a change?

the exaggerated amount of health that has the new dragonfly makes this fight becomes a little boring and maybe a little unfair, can I suggest that their maximum life is not so high? but she can regenerate it over time, that would make the fight difficult but with proper preparation and coordination, a good team could beat the dragonfly in a little more fair period, and a team that doesn't work cooperatively eventually will lose their progress, that seems a harder lesson to learn and better incentive to teamwork

Archived