Why Dragonfly Doesn't Get Fire and Doen't Spit Lava

• Developer

Of all the changes done to giants for DST, the Dragonfly certainly had the most changes. She was completely redesigned for DST’s version of RoG. We wanted to see how a raid-boss style fight would work within DS. With this in mind, there are a couple things to note about her new behaviour:

• The fight was redesigned to be longer but more predictable fight. There are different phases & mechanics that can be dealt with in a variety of ways.

• The fight is designed to be done by a group of 4 well prepared players. That said, it is certainly possible to defeat it with fewer players.

• The fight is supposed to take place within an arena created specifically for it. Because of this, the dragonfly will only spawn in that arena. She is leashed to this arena. If players try to remove her from the arena she will fly away and respawn momentarily at the center of the arena, resetting her health and fight mechanics.

On a side note: The loot that she drops right now is rather… lacking. We’re working on some additional items for this already, but if you have suggestions for items she could drop I’d love to hear them!

On a side note: The loot that she drops right now is rather… lacking. We’re working on some additional items for this already, but if you have suggestions for items she could drop I’d love to hear them!

Dragonfly egg so we can have a pet Lavae!

I haven't touched DST's RoG beta yet, but does he still spawn every summer?

I just found him on my fresh server, Day 6 of Autumn.

He's just hanging out by the lava pools.  I'm not sure if this is intended?  If she's designed to be a raid-boss style fight, it seems likely that she just spawns here year 'round and hangs out waiting for players to challenge her.

I've found a couple Moose/Goose nests, but no Moose/Goose anywhere around.

Some sort of ranged weapon would be nice, Considering there's only 5 ranged weapons.

Why not have a special drop that you can combine with moon rocks and steel wool. Perhaps something that is more scientific instead magic based.

Why not have a special drop that you can combine with moon rocks and steel wool. Perhaps something that is more scientific instead magic based.

I'm struggling to think of a single item that combines moon rocks and steel wool that has any basis in science. :V

But that might be cool. I would hope that whatever loot you could get from a difficult raid boss would have a wide range of applications- or at least it wouldn't be something that breaks after a small number of uses. 

how about a redesigned thermal stone... a "Hot Rock" that always heats up the player's temperature...

Durability could be half of a season and it could be "refueled" with nitre...

It would allow players to wear armor and/or packs during winter...

If kept in the inventory in winter, it can keep the player warm for an indefinite amount of time...

If in Spring and Fall, it can make the player hot like in summer and could receive heat damage if not remedied quickly...

If in summer, it could cause the player to overheat and spontaneously burst into flames causing significant damage...

:)

it could be dropped as is or be crafted:

• Dragon Scales x1
  • Thermal Stone x1
  • Red Gem x1 (optional for the recipe... and I mean the recipe could involve this or just the 2 above...)

:)

he loot that she drops right now is rather… lacking. We’re working on some additional items for this already, but if you have suggestions for items she could drop I’d love to hear them!

If the battle will be more hard, epic and cooperative we need more incentives to deal with it, maybe just more scales is good if the scales have more uses, no just a chest and an armor, if we talk about scales I only think in a full armor of scales with a helmet of scales, that could make a great prize for defeating the dragonfly, a "dragon armor" that can give a better protection. I know this is not the best idea but in the regular game when you beat a giant you always should choose between 2 items, could be awesome a third item for each giant with a cooperative purpose, and why not more? its just more incentives to fight with a giant instead of flee it. Maybe more loot its a good idea but don't forget the existent items and its unique 2 uses, those materials have potential

Of all the changes done to giants for DST, the Dragonfly certainly had the most changes. She was completely redesigned for DST’s version of RoG. We wanted to see how a raid-boss style fight would work within DS. With this in mind, there are a couple things to note about her new behaviour:

• The fight was redesigned to be longer but more predictable fight. There are different phases & mechanics that can be dealt with in a variety of ways.

• The fight is designed to be done by a group of 4 well prepared players. That said, it is certainly possible to defeat it with fewer players.

• The fight is supposed to take place within an arena created specifically for it. Because of this, the dragonfly will only spawn in that arena. She is leashed to this arena. If players try to remove her from the arena she will fly away and respawn momentarily at the center of the arena, resetting her health and fight mechanics.

Are there any plans to replace the the Magma Arena Dragonfly with a new boss? Or add a different looking/acting (like default RoG) Dragonfly for Summer?

Because this is kinda throwing an interesting and unique boss out the window in favor of something completely different. I still love the new raid boss idea, but I loved the old Dragonfly too :c

More scales would be nice, in order to reward multiple players (if they are gentlemen and share the loot) but I'm also curious to see a flamethrower in action ! And the pet lavae... I'll kill a dozen of dragonflies to have new friends ! (or probably die trying...)

Because this is kinda throwing an interesting and unique boss out the window in favor of something completely different. I still love the new raid boss idea, but I loved the old Dragonfly too :c

Indeed, they are two really different things.

@Bryce Better make a biome of rock and lava, of course with new creatures with lava,  Make Dragonfly's arena bigger, That would be much better and awesome

• Developer

Are there any plans to replace the the Magma Arena Dragonfly with a new boss? Or add a different looking/acting (like default RoG) Dragonfly for Summer?

The reason that we used the Dragon-Fly specifically to explore the idea of a raid style boss is because, while she was a really interesting Summer giant in single player, a creature that roams around burning everything in sight becomes problematic pretty quickly for dedicated servers that last for huge numbers of days. So, to avoid destroying huge parts of the world, we're confining the Dragon-Fly to a specific area. That said, who knows what will come with Through The Ages!

The reason that we used the Dragon-Fly specifically to explore the idea of a raid style boss is because, while she was a really interesting Summer giant in single player, a creature that roams around burning everything in sight becomes problematic pretty quickly for dedicated servers that last for huge numbers of days. So, to avoid destroying huge parts of the world, we're confining the Dragon-Fly to a specific area. That said, who knows what will come with Through The Ages!

@SethR That's awesome but bring back when Dragonfly gets flame on him. just that, everything it's perfect just need fire on him when he gets angry 

Since when was Dragonfly a she O_o ?!

And I like the idea which you guys implemented about Dragonfly (generally any giant) spawning in a specific area. However... I have a few objections. Here, read this :3

Archived