Most important survival resource - Fresh water, Will this be added in?

Should a thirst system be added?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should a thirst system be added?

• Yeah, sounds like a good idea
    • Nope, what rubbish is this?

Just a thought, Brighter coloured (turquoise/light blue) water flowing in rivers could indicate fresh water, you could also add muddy water in ponds that effects health the same way monster meat does, maybe have a separate bar for liquids that runs out faster than hunger and extend the time it takes to starve through hunger.

Wut..

Dahell?...

As to the point made by Toaster... I agree. I don't want to have to worry about Hunger AND Thirst AND Sanity.

How better to agree than to say: This.

Unfortunately, an archaic holdover from the olden days of forums require that all posts must have at least 10 characters. Hence the birth of *fillertext*. Is this ample explanation to you Rainbow? :D

I agree with the above sentiment. Having to manage hunger, health, and the upcoming sanity is enough. Introduce too many bars to worry about and it'll just get frustrating and would potentially make players less willing to explore.

I think is a good idea, after all, this is a survival game. As for those who think it will be too much micromanagement, well, there are a lot of people who are good at multitasking. Besides, the problem is not making too much management, the problem is making the mechanics too intrusive. A smart dev can add a dozen of gameplay mechanics by simply not making the features too intrusive.

For example, thirst can be added but it should make the player drink once after a day or two. Sure it may not be logical in terms of realism, but it's logical in terms of gameplay mechanics(like they have already done with hunger and health)

If I have to drink water as often as I eat food in the game, then I would rather not have it all: it would be too intrusive.

I like the strive of survival. If the game has a unique art style it doesn't mean it can't be realistic.

If reality is too much for a regular player to handle maybe the very first thing they should add the game is difficulity levels for kids and hardcore gamers. Everyones happy - simple.

I agree with the above sentiment. Having to manage hunger, health, and the upcoming sanity is enough. Introduce too many bars to worry about and it'll just get frustrating and would potentially make players less willing to explore.

Yeah It might be, but someone else mentioned maybe having more than one difficulty, I did not realise they were doing sanity, is that if you spend too much time in darkness?

I wouldn't mind a thirst bar as long as it's not too intrusive like someone said before, but they'd either have to make little ponds or lakes all over the place, or make you start with some water already. It could probably be made so that one water container has several "doses" of water, so you fill it once and are good to go for a while before having to replenish.

The only real problem I have with it is inventory space. It's already one of the biggest parts of the games to manage the inventory space we have, and that'd only add more items we need on us at all times.

I did not realise they were doing sanity, is that if you spend too much time in darkness?

Darkness will likely have an effect on sanity, but they haven't confirmed it. All I know is that certain things will decrease sanity, and other things will increase sanity. Going insane will make the world more dangerous (though they haven't given any details on exactly what it will do) but it will also apparently bring along some perks as well. Completely losing all sanity won't kill you (though the things you encounter while you're insane might) so sanity won't just be another health bar.

Yes, add thirst.

But don't make it difficult to get water.

Berries should hydrate you, for example.

In fact, the character should always spawn within a day's walking distance of a water supply of some sort.

You should also be allowed to keep water for putting out fires.

Thirst, however, shouldn't be a visible meter. It should be invisible, and it should affect hunger as well. Seeds will dehydrate you, reducing the amount of nutrition you get from eating them in large quantities. Raw meat will hydrate you... with blood. Cooked meat will dehydrate you unless you put a juicy berry sauce on it.

Any thoughts, guys?

Addendum:

Allow the player to die of thirst, but make it incredibly difficult. Like I said, hydration should be watched along with hunger. You want to avoid eating dry food and you want to keep hydrated, and that shouldn't be too difficult.

What I'm saying is that YES a thirst system should be added, but it should NOT be its own system or meter with the importance level of hunger or health. It should be an accessory, nothing more.

Edited by Chesska