What do you do when you find a massive spider collony?

Foxborn

So, occasionally when exploring my island i come across an area that has 8-10 spider nests in a very small space.post-523-13764589209097_thumb.jpgIn my experience they seem to happen most often in rocky areas.My question is what do most of you do upon finding such a wonderfully frightening area. Do you run away never to return? Do you set the place ablaze and take delight as the purging fires level everything in the area?Personally, I build a nice contained bonfire and spend the evening dodging spiders as they set out to patrol the area (gets extremely laggy with that many spiders wandering around though...) and usually by the time it hits true dark enough of them have wandered away that at least one of the nests won't have any spiders near it, I then proceed to hack that nest apart with my trusty axe. The beautiful thing is, since the spiders aren't home, they have no idea their house is under attack. So unless they happen to get close to you, they won't be agro'd. I usually take down 3-4 nests a night (depending on how far the spiders spread) while going through 2 axes. The only downside to this is that I then have 10(ish) spiders per nest i've destroyed (so 80-100 spiders) just wandering aimlessly around my world...and it's so hard to track them all down.

Personally, I build a nice contained bonfire and spend the evening dodging spiders as they set out to patrol the area (gets extremely laggy with that many spiders wandering around though...) and usually by the time it hits true dark enough of them have wandered away that at least one of the nests won't have any spiders near it, I then proceed to hack that nest apart with my trusty axe. The beautiful thing is, since the spiders aren't home, they have no idea their house is under attack. So unless they happen to get close to you, they won't be agro'd. I usually take down 3-4 nests a night (depending on how far the spiders spread) while going through 2 axes. The only downside to this is that I then have 10(ish) spiders per nest i've destroyed (so 80-100 spiders) just wandering aimlessly around my world...and it's so hard to track them all down.

You didn't knew what would happen the first time you tried that strategy... You, my friend, have SOME BALLS. If you didn't tell us this, it would have never even occur to me to spend a night in between 8 to 10 spider dens. Edited by Excess
SOME. BALLS.

I camp on edge of one of the patrol areas and take out numbers. In day I go in with some piggys. Then I hack 2-3 nests up. Then go back and play it again out in the night killing off spiders on the edges of the patrol region so i dont get flooded. THen again go back in the day and either BURN them or hack them depending how nasty i am feeling towards them. Good idea to have a tent handy and some meat to build yourself up. You got some serious guts hanging out in the middle of all those spiders! I am impressed!

You didn't knew what would happen the first time you tried that strategy... You, my friend, have SOME BALLS. If you didn't tell us this, it would have never even occur to me to spend a night in between 8 to 10 spider dens.

I can't remember how i first learned that attacking nests at night doesn't aggro spiders who aren't home...but once I learned that, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to collect that many eggs (they're rather good for research too). Unfortunately, if you're attacking a den when it "upgrades" (which happens in the middle of the night usually) it leads to some serious complications...since it gets a fresh supply of spiders along with the upgrade. :x