Don't Starve Together = starve together

Welp

I've played both vanilla and ROG version of Don't Starve and am playing by myself on my Don't Starve Together server. Then, my friends started to join my server and it was still manageable since I collected everything in bulk. 

What went downhill was when I joined their server. Oh god, the first day I went to their server, the weather started to snow. They didn't prepare anything for me, not even a winter hat.And then we all died in 3 days. 

So, we started the server again with three people. It was hard- real hard. I kinda felt that the difficulty increased dramatically as soon as the resources were shared by multiple avatars. In day 8, we relied on the 12 meat and 5 eggs I got from the tall bird forts, while two people tendered the garden. Gaem was hard!

Any tips for surviving the winter. Love

Kind of makes you appreciate how much of an accomplishment this whole 'civilization' thing is. 

I suggest  each of your party pick a direction and explore till you find beefelo  and or every biome and  then everyone goes to where the beefelo are.

that way you dont have everyone stepping on each others shoes for food and stuff , put another way  you should really be playing dont starve like you would single players for the first 5 - 6 days , ie exploring the map and surviving off of berries and carrots you find. 

standard affair,  if you find the right  area to build in , you can be winter ready in 3 - 4 days no issues.  you find the wrong area and you will probably die mid way through a season 

For a group of people, I always tend to look for as many rabbit holes I can find in one screen. If I find at least or more than 8 rabbit holes clumped up together. I will camp just a few screens away from that and the main food source will be morsels, for both small jerkies and meatballs. Once I find this clump of rabbit holes and set up a firepit and a temporary science machine if there are no Wickerbottoms in the group so we can make backpacks and shovels. Then asap I'd set out to gather berry bushes from very far away from camp and pick up flowers and make them rot for fertilizing my garden of berry bushes or grass tufts but never on farm plots.

This is one way I play DST if I could take lead in the decision making, often times people end up clashing with ideas and I just follow along or still do this to help the group but not necessarily always making the decisions. 

One-map one-camp system is doomed to fail in multiplayer when there is constant influx of newbies, regardless of how many berry bushes, farms, rabbit holes and spider dens you have. Newbies must learn how to build a camp themselves and live independently.

It's a bit ironic that the most important skill to make this multiplayer game work is the ability to play independently.

everyman for himself. A strong community must have strong individuals, let natural selection run its course. We should play together!

This is actually why I'd want you on my team...

One-map one-camp system is doomed to fail in multiplayer when there is constant influx of newbies, regardless of how many berry bushes, farms, rabbit holes and spider dens you have. Newbies must learn how to build a camp themselves and live independently.

It's a bit ironic that the most important skill to make this multiplayer game work is the ability to play independently.

Truth. On a side note, I think the "one camp" thing is absolutely boring. It's basically "yay! I beat the elements! Let's see how much we can pimp it out until the Deerclops comes and wipes it away!"

You need winter gear before winter, though thermal stones and rabbit ear muffs will be a great back up. For food in winter, get beefalo in heat to attack pengulls. You can also make pengulls fight tentacles.

If you can live long enough for deerclops, have him kill things for you. Trick him into hitting bee hives, tentacles, pigs, beefalo, spiders, merms, tallbirds, etc. If you do not get too close, most of your sanity will remain healthy.

See if you can get some people to focus on kolaphants, some people on resources like silk, and some people on beefalo. Then tell me if each group produced amazing results, so I can ask you questions on how you managed to lead a team like that. I have made over 10 tell tale hearts, and my stats are never approving.

What do a patch of spikey thorns and a shovel have in common? They have your name on them, Ha! Even during winter, thorns will regenerate sticks for you. You can dig them up with a shovel or wear armor to reduce the pain, and you never have to fertilize!

Ever get cold during a fight? Smack your enemy with a torch to heat up the fight! While things like silk, glands, deerclops eyes, and other non cookable items will be turned to ashes if the enemy dies while on fire, it will also instantly cook your food! This is works really well against merms who are normally tricky to catch and only drop food. Any enemy who was not about to attack, will not be able to attack while on fire. This allows you to stun lock enemies who normally aren't, as long as they are on fire. Deerclops, Tentacles, and Treeguards will not panic when set on fire; so this trick does not work as well.

By myself I can overfill the fridge with food, but sharing that food with non-efficient teammates makes winter a drag to get through. That being said, make yourself a little hidden camp. I put a handful of berry bushes on another side of a worm hole that no one ever uses. A few pigs as my servants, nearby rock biome, surrounded by forest, and guaranteed to give any player a one day vacation. I ended up ruining the save file by trying to beef the main base up a bit by myself. But just knowing that there was a nice little spot for me to just put my feet up and relax was really nice. :wilson_dorky:

What do a patch of spikey thorns and a shovel have in common? They have your name on them, Ha! Even during winter, thorns will regenerate sticks for you. You can dig them up with a shovel or wear armor to reduce the pain, and you never have to fertilize!

Ever get cold during a fight? Smack your enemy with a torch to heat up the fight! While things like silk, glands, deerclops eyes, and other non cookable items will be turned to ashes if the enemy dies while on fire, it will also instantly cook your food! This is works really well against merms who are normally tricky to catch and only drop food. Any enemy who was not about to attack, will not be able to attack while on fire. This allows you to stun lock enemies who normally aren't, as long as they are on fire. Deerclops, Tentacles, and Treeguards will not panic when set on fire; so this trick does not work as well.

By myself I can overfill the fridge with food, but sharing that food with non-efficient teammates makes winter a drag to get through. That being said, make yourself a little hidden camp. I put a handful of berry bushes on another side of a worm hole that no one ever uses. A few pigs as my servants, nearby rock biome, surrounded by forest, and guaranteed to give any player a one day vacation. I ended up ruining the save file by trying to beef the main base up a bit by myself. But just knowing that there was a nice little spot for me to just put my feet up and relax was really nice. :wilson_dorky:

The mini base is always a good idea. It's a lot easier than shoo-ing people out of the main base to go do something. What do you say is a good checklist for these things, especially ones that you might have to leave for a while and come back in any season?

The mini base is always a good idea. It's a lot easier than shoo-ing people out of the main base to go do something. What do you say is a good checklist for these things, especially ones that you might have to leave for a while and come back in any season?

I had collected some berry bushes that were in places no one would ever come across. I think I had about 6 that I planted in summer. Leaving the berries unpicked insures there will be some in winter.

A fire pit is handy, but the idea is to only stay there for 1 day. 

Having a few pigs nearby is nice incase hounds or anything tries to interrupt your stay. You can also use them to chop down trees, and become even lazier on your day off.

Other than that, there was not really any other things I needed. You can plant thorns to dig up or leave grass to be picked, but there is not much work I put into that hidden base.

Archived