Eating Simulator Online Beta

How some new players play this game:

1: Join a dedicated server.

2: Find a base.

3: Take food.

4: Eat food.

5: Repeat steps 3 and 4.

6: Die of starvation.

Dedicated servers are now filled with clueless new players. But can we blame them? Who would have thought Don't Starve Together does not mean, literally, an eating simulator -- online!

What's happening right now on most public survival servers is that, some people who have never played DT, jump right into a server where some experienced players have built up a massive base. Their first impression is that there is a big camp, and lots of berry bushes, farms, and crockpot meals. They would simply grab everything, and eat everything. If the experienced players don't return in time to cook them a second meal, they will die. You too probably have seen a few once-mighty Wolfgangs devoured everyone's hard work, and then died of hunger because all they had ever done in this game is eating. Sometimes it could turn into a berry-scavenge contest between new players, but the final result is the same -- they all die.They just don't realise that dragon pies don't grow on crock pots.

While some people might enjoy such virtual food-tasting experience, I think the game is going in the wrong direction, especially on those dedicated survival servers. You know why people call DayZ the Running Simulator 2014. If Klei don't do something to rectify this problem, we might end up with an Eating Simulator 2015. People will never realise what this game has to offer.

Yeah, and eating is not the worst part. Almost every public game I played some new player burned down my berry plantation. Sometimes it was Willow on low sanity, sometimes a clueless Wilson trying to harvest berries from the bush while holding a torch. But it happened almost every friggin time. Now me and my friend play exclusively in private, and oh wonders - we survived our first winter and even Deerclopus attack.

Thank god for Klei's future ideas, because I am sick and tired of people eating all of the food in my icebox which took me the entire season to gather.

Currently I am in the middle of winter with no food left in the fridge because of 4 other newcomers not knowing how to conserve food. I wish I had a passworded fridge tbh.

Thank god for Klei's future ideas, because I am sick and tired of people eating all of the food in my icebox which took me the entire season to gather.

Currently I am in the middle of winter with no food left in the fridge because of 4 other newcomers not knowing how to conserve food. I wish I had a passworded fridge tbh.

I have a suggestion, artists.

And devs.

Where did you get that gear for fridge?

Pardon my naivete, but I don't know what that's an acronym for.

Basically, it means normal human beings will be incompetent, selfish, rude, etc. on the internet because of anonymity. This is why team-based gameplay is ineffective with random strangers.

i have played a little since i got a key, and the issues i have is people eating my foods i make, and the biggest issue i have tho, is not knowing how hungry other players are.

when i ask people who is hungry some will say they are hungry at 100/150 hunger, while others will say they are fine at 20/150 and next thing we know we have people starving at base because someone got too greedy with the food.

now i like that this can happen, i just think there needs to be a few little tweaks, i think hunger drops too fast and i often find myself feeding other players more than myself. 

if there was a way for me to see how hungry other players are that would be cool.

perhaps if players hunger dropped every so slightly less with each additional player within a certain range that would be nice :)

I have a suggestion, artists.

And devs.

*le suddenly man charges in on beefalo, locks your fridge/snow chester as soon as you make it.* oh :(

Basically, it means normal human beings will be incompetent, selfish, rude, etc. on the internet because of anonymity. This is why team-based gameplay is ineffective with random strangers.

I'm willing to be friendly with strangers if they're friendly in the first place, though I'd probably be speckledorfed several times before I give up on humanity and let them all starve :>

All we need are keys. Maybe from flint? Using a key on a Chest, Fridge, Crock pot etc. would lock it, and it would only be opened when clicked with the same key.

Even if it drops upon death, newbies wouldn't be a very big challenge for already experienced players.

Well, the issue is that most everyone who bought the game in the SP days learnt how to play it from a "let's play". They saw the game, they liked it, and they invested. These new players with the free keys haven't had the exposure to gameplay elements, so they show up, wander around, and don't contribute because they don't understand the elements required to get to the point of plenty. When the beta is over, no doubt this problem will recede drastically.

But what about making it so that the creator of the fridge can only set up the password!? #problemsolved

Sounds like that works, great problem solving   :grin:

Or, how about we put in a thing called a "noob food dispenser". Something that would give unlimited food, but the user would actually starve if he/she uses it all the time. :razz:

:wilson_goodjob:  it could give out a specific food that does that every time you eat it. It could start out as giving, say, 110 hunger points, and decrement by -10 hunger points each time the player eats that same dish untill it starts going into a negative food value and takes away hunger points. It could be called

VrVJuzx.pngForbidden Fruit. (just throwing out suggestions.)

Sounds like that works, great problem solving   :grin:

:wilson_goodjob:  it could give out a specific food that does that every time you eat it. It could start out as giving, say, 110 hunger points, and decrement by -10 hunger points each time the player eats that same dish untill it starts going into a negative food value and takes away hunger points. It could be called

VrVJuzx.pngForbidden Fruit. (just throwing out suggestions.)

I'd almost say you're overthinking it, but actually, you're onto something...

I like the key/password ideas, but I'm also thinking about the first time I played DS and the lack of tutorial of any kind making it challenging and interesting to figure out how to feed myself and gear up. What about a Message of the Day type deal when logging into the server? Or perhaps a /command that had to be entered to actually interact with the server (Which you may not know unless players already in game tell you or its int he MOTD), enabling people to visit and look around, ask questions, etc.

i'd disagree, a beginner would just disregard this sort of thing out of ignorance, Who the hell would realize that your punished for eating the same god dam thing over and over?

You aren't punished so long as you find an actual food source before the value of the food decrements to the point that it takes away food points when you eat it. The decrementation of the food points is to prevent  you from having unlimited 'unlimited food source,' because that would be too easy. It's just a way to cushion the beginning of your journey a little. There's probably other ways to do this, like spawning with a starter pack. 

Archived