Nick's Opinion on "New" Players in DST!

I am a person that likes to carry games. I am the person who wants to save the day when people are in trouble and because that's just the nice thing to do! I feel like instead of making servers against these people we help them. I would love to teach someone Don't Starve! The way I would teach them is to let them make their own mistakes and i will help them if things get to bad. Teaching players who are unskilled is one of the things I look forward to. But the whole thing goes much deeper than that! I am actually not very good only getting to day 95 in Reign of Giants so it will be interesting to see if i can learn new tactics and skills to deal with the much worse things in the game! I am getting off topic because I am just way to excited to help those who cant help themselves! Keep in mind when you see a new player struggle remember you used to be them!

I am actually not very good only getting to day 95 in Reign of Giants 

Day 95 puts above a whole lot of players, though, don't sell yourself short! 

That's really nice that you are so patient with new players, there's not enough of people like you, haha!

Oh dayum, is this the MOBA MENTALITY?!?!!

Sorta hate to say it but yeah it is. I play League of Legends a lot. I never am toxic for I try to not put down people who made a mistake. 

Day 95 RoG?

Not bad.

Try day 695 Vanilla Wilson.

I've made it to day 101 with Vanilla Wilson

I am actually not very good only getting to day 95 in Reign of Giants

Barely made it to 54th, and i thought i'm really good in this game. 

I've made it to day 101 with Vanilla Wilson

Made it to the 139th day in the vanilla version though  :wilson_vforvictory:

Anyway, i'm really interested in your idea of sharing experience with others and help worse players. I'd probably be doing so... If i had the DST.  :wilson_cry:

I'd use some learning about how to survive summer in the RoG version, because whenever the summer starts, i have a vision of this.

http://youtu.be/aQP87ZzcaP0?t=54s

Anyway, i'm really interested in your idea of sharing experience with others and help worse players. I'd probably be doing so... If i had the DST.  :wilson_cry:

I'd use some learning about how to survive summer in the RoG version, because whenever the summer starts, i have a vision of this.

If you missed the beta, after the 80k, you'll get a key.

Most likely they'll have a second signing for people who missed registration.

I could teach you a few things about summer what is it that kills you? Overheating? Giants? Just PM and we can talk!

@Nickolas2600 I admire you wanting to help people out in DST. That's sort of what I want to do, too. Once I get established and can find food real good, I tend to get bored with the game on single player. That's one of my hopes when I go to play. I want to be able to contribute to a group in the areas that I'm good at the game. However, mainly my focus on helping people has only been limited to helping my family, not everybody like you have suggested. I'm proud of you for wanting to do that, though.

As far as my game play has gone, I've only made it to day 90 on RoG. RoG sure is a lot more challenging than Vanilla. I especially have trouble in the springtime when I can't catch bunnies, my primary source of food when I play. I had to survive off of fish for an entire spring season when I played as Wilson on my 90 day RoG file, so that adds an element of challenge that keeps the game from getting boring and monotonous.

What you saying about helping the new players because we was all new once, I can agree with that. I remember first starting the game and not knowing the darkness kills you and dying on my first day. Couldn't find a piece of flint and didn't think to make a torch when the night came. Didn't know any of the crafting recipes. I was got to day 15 surviving on bunny traps alone and didn't even have a Science Machine. Didn't know what I needed to get one and that it was a necessity to craft more stuff. I just was using what I had available without knowing how the game worked. It's interesting watching YouTubers who are new to the game know a little bit about the game, but be completely oblivious about other things. It's like watching an adventure. It's especially fun when they start to figure out the game and you're like, "You figured it out." However, I tend to be yelling at my monitor telling them how dumb they are, which I probably shouldn't do.

Thanks for your post and thanks for reading mine.

If you missed the beta, after the 80k, you'll get a key. Most likely they'll have a second signing for people who missed registration.

Uh, i did registered for the beta, i even was playing the vanillia version in beta tests, so i'm quite saddened that i dont have the key yet.  :wilson_cry:

I think that "teaching" players new to Don't Starve kinda takes the fun out of it. The sheer terror of your first hound attack or accidentally discovering that pigs turn into werepigs on the full moon and not knowing what the heck to do and running around screaming and dying is part of the experience! I wouldn't have been hooked on the game so much if it weren't for the discovery and learning aspect. I'm sure there's people out there who would like help, but I know if I was new to it, I'd want to play with another newbie, or someone who was willing to let me go at my own speed. If... I had DST, that is T_T

I agree with eelfeet.

So much of the joy in Don't Starve is discovery.

That being said if a "new" player joined my server in DST I would guide them until their guidance bled .

When it's a matter of my survival I will not have dead weight. I will show explain everything that can be explained and send them to chop wood and carry twigs and grass.

Admittedly I would first tell them to either start their own server and learn the game since that is so much more fun.

Maybe I'll create a Training Server at some point if I have time and let new players come in and learn a thing.

Maybe I'll create a Training Server at some point if I have time and let new players come in and learn a thing.

I did that a while back... I set days to long, increased resources like berry bushes and rocks and twigs to More, stuff like that. I think next time I'll also set Summer to Long, to encourage the initial playability and setup.

I've since deleted the world since patches and updates have come out, but I felt like it worked out well while it lasted. People joining were friendly and cooperative. One nice person even joined in as Wickerbottom for the sole purpose of using Applied Horticulture for us, then jumped right back out. Whoever you are, I didn't catch your name at the time.... :encouragement:

Oh dayum, is this the MOBA MENTALITY?!?!!

Whoa! I was thinking this too! I don't usually carry, though. I'm usually a 2 or 3 in DotA. I'd probably do the same sort of role in DST. I don't care to trick myself out or my base. I'll do the heavy lifting and nomading so others don't have to. 

Archived