Does the game get more difficult as days progress?

I'm on day 28, my longest run by far, and I'm finding that things are starting to become really repetitive. My newest world has an absolutely amazing biome with plains surrounded by quarry and swamp, so once a day, I just walk down to pick up free meat. The beefalos, tallbirds, and swamp monsters are all constantly fighting when I get there, and they pay absolutely no attention to me. I just waltz in, wait for them to stop killing each other, and pick up the fur/tentacle/meat that they drop.

Supplement the above with 6 turbo farm plots and I'm finding myself wanting to make a new world, simply because of how well-off I am. I have something like 3 extra log armors, 20-something meat stews, and enough seeds to last the apocalypse. The hounds don't even attack me anymore. Once every 2 weeks 2 or 3 of them would come, but they were dispatched easily due to the 20 meats i have scattered around my camp as distraction.

Also it might not help I'm playing as Willow, so I don't even need fuel for the fire at night.

It depends on what you view as "difficult".

For instance; for ME, i was 66 days in or so on my 2nd play-through, had about 9 turbo-farms, 2 crock pots, an effigy, etc. I was heading back up to go collect some poop, and i had to pass through a swamp. Usually the subterranean octopus would thrash about a few times but not get me. The last time i went through i had a ton of items on me (backpack was full of goodies) and i got tag-teamed by the octopus arms (two hit me at once).

I lost all my items (i didn't really think far enough ahead to make a ton of chests), re-spawned, went back to get all my stuff. I managed to grab most of it except the backpack and gold axe before they (the two arms) got me again...thus ending my 66 day run.

It wasn't "hard" per-se, but it shows no matter how much you have going, it doesn't take a lot to die. For myself, it was only a matter of not watching where those arms pop out of the ground (was behind a tree too so i couldn't really see them).

In an instant, my world was crushed. Luckily i unlocked everyone and now i can be the tiny-big-man with the stache. I do agree the the tedium some time though, but its time like that where you set yourself another goal like, go shovel up ALL of the bushes/grass from all of the islands and bring them back to your base, and fertilize them...with nothing but a shovel and backpack, with half a stack of food.

But, you can always toss everything into the machines and kill yourself just to check out a new place. (i have done this 3 times now since then...still looking for a world that i like).

Just my 2 cents.

Meat-

Well the beginning of the game is about done being worked on. And I think everyone could agree that day 1-10 is pretty awesome. So now they are working on mid-game and in the upcoming updates, the game will get a lot harder as time goes by. Just be patient and it will come.

Later it's supposed to. I've heard the game is close to release but this feels like a very early portion of the beta so I don't think it will happen. Winter alone if done right is going to add a lot of creatures and content that will need as much testing as spring has had. The only way I see a march release is if expansions are immediately thrown into beta for a small price. Say release "Don't starve: Spring" and then immediately start on "Don't Starve: Summer" with a nominal 12 dollar fee to get into THAT beta and receive the expansion in progress.

Don't Starve is still very much a work-in-progress. The early game is pretty much fleshed out, and they're currently working on implementing mid-game content. Klei's plans for future content in Don't Starve is in the sticky titled "Don't Starve Roadmap" if you haven't read it yet.

Later it's supposed to. I've heard the game is close to release but this feels like a very early portion of the beta so I don't think it will happen. Winter alone if done right is going to add a lot of creatures and content that will need as much testing as spring has had. The only way I see a march release is if expansions are immediately thrown into beta for a small price. Say release "Don't starve: Spring" and then immediately start on "Don't Starve: Summer" with a nominal 12 dollar fee to get into THAT beta and receive the expansion in progress.

they will not sell expansions the content will be bundled into the game we payed for.

I'm talking about expansion packs (not the famous "DLCs" we have nowdays)

Dude when we purchased the game we get a cheaper price, we are Beta testers on a large scale for Kevin and the crew. In the selling of the game they advertised that entering into the game now while it is in Beta will get us in on the ground level and allow us to see the more expensive end product first and cheaper. I don't see how us helping them out now should require more money, the game is good enough that the way I am helping them is by recommending such a fun game to everyone who stands still long enough!

Edit : Also the game is not yet released fully, its still in development, you can't have expansions for an unfinished game!

Getting back on topic:

The answer to the title of this thread is a resounding "NO." Currently the game gets progressively easier the longer you survive, since you can make an infinite stockpile of food, and the threats the game throws at you (Hounds, Krampus) are too rare and too weak to be a real threat, and never ramp up to a point that they can overcome an experienced player with even basic weapons and armor.

Of course, this should change once stuff like Winter and the Spider Queen are added. The focus right now seems to be fleshing out the "mid game", or the point where you will be thinking about making that Portal to World #2 in Story Mode. It should be a challenge to farm whatever materials you need to open that Portal, and these new threats should help with that. Obviously, only time will tell how it all plays out, but I'm confident that Keven and Co. can pull it off.