As a color-blind player I find almost impossible to know, at night time, if the object I want to place (a sapling, a tree, a campfire...) is in a valid position, because the grey and red color change is less pronaunced at night.

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem, and I assume that we would really appreciate if there was a color blind mode or something like that in witch the color diference would be more pronaunced.

How many games actually have color blind modes? I'm slightly color blind myself, and although I can still see what I'm doing in the dark, the red is sometimes hard to distinguish at night. But there's only one other game I've ever seen with a color blindness option.

Would you guys mind making a list of things you currently find difficult to differentiate? I'm pretty sure the devs would love to know this, as it may be difficult for them to figure this out on their own.

EDIT

;)

There's another thread talking about making some of the game's functions work better for colour-blind players. Heads-ups like these are very helpful, because sometimes we forget that not everyone experiences the game in the same way.

Kevin is one of the Developers, by the way.

Edited by Excess
added Kevin quote from another thread

The only thing I can't diferentiate easily is the grey-red color change whenever I try to place something at night, but as there are diferent tipes of color-blindness someone might not see correctly some other things.

How many games actually have color blind modes? I'm slightly color blind myself, and although I can still see what I'm doing in the dark, the red is sometimes hard to distinguish at night. But there's only one other game I've ever seen with a color blindness option.

I've only seen "color blind mode" in Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends, and they were very helpful (at least for me)

I always forgot this >.< but im glad to know that developers do make an effort to get this out when they can :) I mean some companies didnt bother until years after a full release of the game. It will be refreshing to see it out before full release :p

Would you guys mind making a list of things you currently find difficult to differentiate? I'm pretty sure the devs would love to know this, as it may be difficult for them to figure this out on their own.

You guys might want to try experimenting with Vischeck. http://www.vischeck.com/downloads/ It's a color-blindness simulator thingie.

It can only simulate the complete absence of a single retina pigment (not the much more common deuteranomaly), but it's still pretty helpful for making things more user-friendly for color-blind people. The photoshop plugin has helped me a lot with some small design projects and things.

Well Colorblindness isn't a major thing , but when you try to play games its quite hard to see some things in them , I think that a colorblind mode would be perfect , even some other players in some games prefer a colorblind mode , also , if you could list some things you have problems seeing in-game , I could easily remove these problems by promoting them to another mod like Excess or Mobius , though they will probably read the thread beforehand , but its nice to know what could be fixed , sinse I'm not an expert on colorblindness , I don't know what colors you can see and some that you have trouble seeing , but I'll try to find a solution.

You guys might want to try experimenting with Vischeck. http://www.vischeck.com/downloads/ It's a color-blindness simulator thingie.

Cool, as a hobbyist graphic designer this comes really handy.

I could easily remove these problems by promoting them to another mod like Excess or Mobius , though they will probably read the thread beforehand , but its nice to know what could be fixed , sinse I'm not an expert on colorblindness , I don't know what colors you can see and some that you have trouble seeing , but I'll try to find a solution.

You will what the who where?

As a color-blind player I find almost impossible to know, at night time, if the object I want to place (a sapling, a tree, a campfire...) is in a valid position, because the grey and red color change is less pronaunced at night.

Do you have an AMD graphics card? You probably already know this, but I'm gonna mention it anyway, as it might help in other games too.

1. Open your AMD VISION Engine Control Center.
    That's the icon near the clock with a red dot surrounded by grey dots... which, now that I think about it, may seem like just a bunch of grey dots to you. If it isn't there it should be on the Control Panel, providing you own an AMD graphic card.
  2. Go to Desktop Management → Desktop Color
  3. Look for a drop down menu that says All Channels and change it to Red.
  4. Play around with the Gamma, rightness and Contrast.
  5. Press Apply down below and try it out with Don't Starve :D

Now, this will affect your whole desktop, and it may be useful or not for other things besides games like surfing the web. If it annoys you, you can create separate AMD VISION profiles and only activate the one with the changed colors when playing Don't Starve with just a right click on the systray icon.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

See below ↓

Edited by Excess
ignorance

I just found an amazing onine tool that let's you convert and compare images and VIDEOS with color filters that emulate Protanopia, Deuteranopia and Tritanopia.

Chromatic Vision Simulator (I couldn't make it work with Firefox but it does with Chrome)

Here's how someone with protanopia or deuteranopia sees the red "invalid" ghost tree, which is almost exactly as how the grey "valid" ghost looks like at night.

iVnTa.jpg

I can now see that my previous suggestion of enhacing the red channel in your graphic card settings is probably completely useless, pardon my ignorance in the matter.

Edited by Excess

I too am color blind and also have this issue. The other area I have issue is I cannot tell the difference between the red and brown hounds.

Games that offer color blind mode often do so by just adding a variance to the mode. For example with the tree instead of grey and red, the red highlight may also have lines in it like red and darker red so it kinda has the look of a barbers pole. This way even if we can't see the change from red and grey we can see the change from grey to grey bars.

For hounds it would likely require them to be different in some way, make their skin slight more hairy or give them different eyes, people like myself that miss the color queue on mobs will notice the different artwork.

With the above approaches a colorblind mode isn't even needed since it doesn't change or detract from normal color vision it's just made in a way that suits both. A perfect example of how it is done well is like the seeds. Eggplant seed have an eggplant in their graphic instead of being the same seed icon with a slightly different color. It works for all player regardless of vision type.

while I am not color blind, even I tend to have difficulties to see if I face a normal or a fire hound until the moment the first flames erupt, so a general rework in the artwork would be something I welcome aswell.

I don't have that much difficulties in terms of telling the difference between them, but I would agree that the flame hounds should look different instead of just a having it be tinted slightly red. Maybe have them look a little more demonic with like flaming eyes or something I don't know.

I don't have that much difficulties in terms of telling the difference between them, but I would agree that the flame hounds should look different instead of just a having it be tinted slightly red. Maybe have them look a little more demonic with like flaming eyes or something I don't know.
I agree with what you say. Although I am not color blind, it would be nice to EASILY differentiate the hell hounds from the regular hounds.

Honestly, I wish the hounds were just fully scrapped from the game and considered as a beta mistake.