Game Changer

MenaAthena

(Well Wilson, Athena, and Crow are still by the fire.)

Wilson quickly tosses Wakana a piece of taffy before turning his attention to Oxryklne.

"Ah, Moxie. I should have noticed you were missing. We had a little mishap with the fire but everything is under control now."

​"I apologize, but you had been rather quiet lately. I just assumed you were following us. I'll be more careful from now on. You didn't answer Wy's question. I myself would like to know where you have been as well."

Athena rubs her head briefly before looking up at Oxryklne.

"Oh hi Moxie."

Wilson narrows his eyes. It seemed like their beetle friend was hiding something, but it had been a long night. He would talk to him about it in the morning. He glanced from the tent to Athena.

"You can use my tent if you'd like."

She sighed. "It's fine. I wasn't getting any sleep anyways."

Her eyes drifted over to the lump of nightmare fuel covered taffy that Wakana had spit out and grimaced. "That... doesn't look normal."

(Putting it in a spoiler for those who want to avoid, yah know, spoilers.)

In another part of the island, the sea of darkness is broken by a little orb of green fire idly rolling over a set of pale fingers that twitched every so often to keep it from falling off. Resting on most of the fingers were intricate, slightly gaudy rings made of all sorts of different metals and gems. What would catch the most attention though was what was on the wrist; a cuff of pure black, absolutely radiating with energy. The cuff cut off the light of the orb from reaching the rest of the person, but if on were to see her eyes, they would appear to be covered in a translucent, black film. At least they were, until a polite cough alerted her to the presence of who she'd been waiting for. Dispelling the film, she turned her attention to the two purple eyes staring at her.

"I trust you saw how it went, M'lady."

"Indeed I did," the person replied in a tone dripping with arrogance, giving a slight chuckle of amusement before continuing, "You did well, Arkon. For a second there I thought you were going to lose him, but you pulled through. I am pleased."

The creature didn't reply, instead opting avoiding eye contact. The lady sighed and tossed the green fire up in the air, catching it in her palm.

"Don't tell me you're still not convinced."

"If I may state it again, M'lady, I missed a meal tonight by talking to that beetle, and I'm not sure of how much use he'll actually have. He'll probably end up being more trouble than he's worth in the end." 

"Trust me Arkon. Any path Oxryklne takes now will be an entertaining one. He was starting to become boring with nothing to do, but now we've given him something. As for the power boost, it shouldn't be too hard to convince Them. This is what They asked for after all."

"Very well. The deed has already been done, there is no changing it now. I trust you also know that the runt has found his way to the puppets."

The lady burst out laughing.

"Oh please. The little failure doesn't even know how to feed yet! Just ignore him for now, but if he some how beats the odds and manages to become a problem, you're free to remove him. Now get some rest. You have a tree to talk to in the morning."

Arkon gave a small bow before his purple eyes disappeared from the night. The lady put out the light with a twitch of her fingers, and she was gone as well.

In the tent, Oxryklne curls up under one of the straw (?) blankets and tries to get some sleep.  However, his conversation with the shadow creature keeps him from sleeping; he isn't sure he made the right choice.

(I thought of the blankets as animal fur, but whatever.)

Athena flashed a small grin.

"It's fine I guess. Now you know not to eat it again. Although I wonder how something can taste fussy."

Wilson looked around the camp before glancing up at the sky.

"Now that everything is settled, anyone who's sleeping tonight should get back too it. It won't be that long until morning, so we need to get the rest while we can. Winter isn't too far away and we still aren't prepared." 

"Are you guys saying this is your actual camp? This isn't a checkpoint on our way to an actual village?" (Of course not you idiot, what were you expecting? A castle with warm food and a bed that fits your liking? *cough Shana *cough* There is nothing for you here, that is why you need to leave.) "and who's the bug?"