Game Changer

MenaAthena

Crow almost choked on his cigarette as a small hand crept towards it, extinguishing it immediately. He dismissed the music for another trick his mind was playing on him, but then he heard Athena stumble out of her tent and saw the shadowy hands creeping towards the fire. (You'd better help her, or you're all dead!) The stranger leaped off the stone and hurried towards the fire. "What's happening?" he whispered, unaware of the danger, "What are you doing?"

It nodded to show compression.

"If you're interested in getting some answers, I could be of service, but I'll need a little help from you."

~~~~~~

"Fuel the fire!" Athena hissed out in a panicked whisper as she stepped on another hand, not looking at the stranger in her panic.

Crow hastily scoured the area for any flammables he could find. He tossed some feathers he had in his pocket and the single log he could find into the fire. (I'm not doing this! I swear!)

He pulled Wakana and Wakesa out of the ground and cut down Newleaf to help.

Edited by CloakofCrow

(Oops, I forgot to mention that only those that are insane can see/hear the effects of insanity in this rp. So Wakana probably can't hear the music.)

"Like all living things I require sustenance to function and I am not exception. My food happens to be the insanity of others. This is where I would like your assistance. Your abilities give off an aura that can drive the other survivors insane or keep them that way. It is weak, but I may be able to increase it's potency; even if I can't it will work on Athena. I can lead you back to the camp, and then you can help me with my meals and we'll meet at night for your information. Of course, you can't tell any of them about our little arrangement or the information I give you."

~~~~~~

The flammables that Crow threw in immediately burst into flames, fueling the fire. However, it didn't increase by much and the hands were still advancing. Athena drove them back to the edge of light before scrambing to one of the chests, tossing it open, and throwing any flammables she could find into the fire, a few of them nearly hitting Crow. Soon the fire became an inferno, crackling loudly as the tongues of flames reached higher. Anyone looking at it was probably very glad that it was safely contained within a circle of stones. The shadow hands twisted in what looked like pain before breaking apart and dissipating, the music disappearing with it.

Athena sat down, brought her knees up to her chest, and stared at the fire while trying to catch her breath.

Oxryklne tries to contain his outrage.  "A most...peculiar offer.  Here's the thing, though.  You can give me information; however, I need the help of the others in order to make use of it.  Can you swear on your life that your feeding will not harm or incapacitate them in any way?"

The creature, however, retains it's calm tone.

"I understand that you might be a bit hesitant, but if you tell the others about this kind of information they'll wonder where you got it from, and I don't think they would be too pleased with a strange creature feeding on their state of mind or the fact that you were helping it. You can still put it to use in dire emergencies if needed. Don't worry about harm coming to them. They'll just feel a little prick and a brief moment of confusion. Why would I want to render my source of sustenance unusable? If anything it would help them, as it restores a bit of their mental state."

~~~~~~

Athena was starting to calm down a bit, until she saw what looked like a giant shadow tick out of the corner of her eye. Her wide eyes followed it until it dissappeared into the darkness. She shivered and covered her eyes with her hands, resting her head on her knees and mumbling.

"No no no no no no no..."

Wilson came out of his tent with a spear in hand, having been awoken by the commotion and sudden increase in light by the fire.

"What's going on here?"

Crow looked at Athena and realized she probably couldn't speak clearly then nodded at Wilson. "Some shadowy hands killed my cigarette and almost killed the fire but Athena started stomping on them like a madman and now everything is better. We also refueled the fire afterwards. Now she's acting crazy, I would comfort her but decided not too. That would be awkward."

(You do realize you're saying all of that out loud, right?)

"Good. I'll lead you back to the other survivors."

The eye disappeared from the entrance and the creature went silent, waiting for Oxryklne to come out.

~~~~~~

You'd expect ramblings of shadow hands trying to kill fires coming from a schizophrenic would go ignored at best, but that's not what happened. Instead, Wilson nodded understandingly and cast a quick glance at Athena before walking to the ice box. He quickly grabbed a hand full of taffies and knelt down beside her.

"Athena, eat a taffy."

"Why?"

"Cause you're not you when you're insane.

"Athena, are you seeing large creatues made of shadows?"

She tensed up, still covering her eyes and becoming silent.

"Here, eat this. It will help."

She peeked up at the bright pastel candies in Wilson grasp and took them, gladly devouring them to sate her hunger. They did help to clear her head a bit, even if the sweetness made her a little queasy.

• Like 1

Oxryklne follows the creature until the light of a fire pit appears in the distance. It stops there and puts the purple light out.

"There they are. You'll get your information once you've succeeded in providing what we've agreed. If all goes well you should get a boost to your abilities by morning."

It pauses before continuing, but takes a more hostile tone.

"Moxie,​ I sincerely hope for both our sakes that you don't plan to double cross me."