[General] - Crashing

23rd

Bug Submission:

Category: General
Issue Title: Crashing
Issue Description: The game is crashing like anything that gets in the protagonist's way in a Middle-Eastern action movie. Doesn't take much effort for the game to close itself and for me to be looking at my crappy low-resolution Gravity Falls desktop wallpaper again, it seems.
Steps to Reproduce: Trying to join a game through a friend. Trying to host a server. One time, even clicking the button that shows the available servers.

EDIT: I tried to include my system information, but apparently the .txt didn't attach itself. I'm trying to edit it in, but I can't seem to attach files via editing.

DOUBLE EDIT: DxDiag.txt Whoop, there it is!

Can confirm the crashing. I looked at the game and it crashed. I moved Wilson and it crashed. 

Though, restarting Steam worked for until my internet booted me and I got that sassy disconnect dialogue box. 

Edit: Went to look at available servers and it crashed. 

It's making me laugh at least. It's like some sort of game of chance. 

Edit 2: Got this screen accompanied by wormhole noises. 

tumblr_ncw16y4fUF1scb47oo1_1280.jpg

Hey guys, can you be a bit more specific on the crashes? Are these being caused when you press buttons on the UI? 

We have some things being worked on, but it's hard to tell from your descriptions exactly what might be happening. 

The team currently has a fix they are working on for a specific crash, but more details are always helpful. 

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Ahh... They're not exactly consistent, is the problem. 

Sometimes I can navigate the menus perfectly fine and it doesn't crash until I get in a server and choose a character. Other times it crashes when I'm either trying to refresh or create a server, or a couple times when I was adjust my screen resolution. 

The crashes I have been getting are just straight quick black screen to closing immediately for the most part, twice with the warning screen and a few times with the .exe has stopped working. 

Edit: Most of the crashes for me seem to occur on the server search window, usually after I click Refresh. 

• Developer

Thanks for posting everyone. We noticed a few frontend crashes this afternoon. We've got a fix that we think will sort it out. I'll start a build and roll that out ASAP. We'll have another build tonight with a few more smaller fixes.

Yup, seems pretty much inconsistent. Crashed once a few seconds ingame, once when the game (ingame, the actual world) got loaded, once again ingame and once in the server browser. Tried both windowed and fullscreen, so I doubt it could be an error related to that.

EDIT: Once important thing to add: it's completely stable in just the main menu, so it's maybe a connection issue?

It lasted a bit longer but eventually crashed anyway...

It crashes without any warning, sometimes it pops up the "does not respond" message of it simply not responding anymore, sometimes a simple crash to desktop.

Dxdiag here tho.

Another unrelated forum issue:

I didn't have these options here when I replied here.

3sYvt77.png

I went to another subforum and it worked there, then attached the file with the "My Media" button on the toolbar. I guess it's a thing forgotten to add when creating these subforums!

My take. Crashed when I tried refreshing the server list, when I tried joining a game, when I tried making a new game, when I tried selecting a new character and when i clicked on a spot in the world to move starting from the spawn area with my mouse. 

While some others like The Letter W have had success disabling their firewall, I have not. Enclosed are the DXDIAG, the mdmp file and a Log.txt file before the patch update when I got a character for a couple of seconds.  

Just reinstalled as I wasn't sure if I got the update. I can navigate the menus fine, but when I join a server I was previously in before my 'net booted me, I get the same Warning screen I posted earlier, if I get anything at all. Game is still crashing when I create servers as well. I can include my most recent log if that will help at all. 

File attachment buttons? 

I too can say that I am getting issues with crashing as well. Problem is that these crashes just immediately cause the game to close, not causing the error report to occur. Best I can describe the issue is that whenever I attempt to load up the server list, the game crashes almost immediately. Sometimes one server appears, but almost always the buttons become unresponsive before the game immediately crashes out.

I apologize for being unable to be more specific, but I got the recent update so we'll see how this operates.

My game was crashing mostly in the server list, when i try to refresh the list. But it simply closes without showing anything besides the window of "don't starve stop responding..." . Also, my own servers don't last more than 2 seconds without the game crashing, but i don't know if it is related to the game or to my internet.

Could anyone tell me where to find the crash log files so i can help too?

My game was crashing mostly in the server list, when i try to refresh the list. But it simply closes without showing anything besides the window of "don't starve stop responding..." . Also, my own servers don't last more than 2 seconds without the game crashing, but i don't know if it is related to the game or to my internet.

Could anyone tell me where to find the crash log files so i can help too?

They are listed currently in your Documents folder under Klei-DoNotStarvetotether-Log.txt.

Go here for more info on how to get your DXDiag files and MDMP, remembering to look for your Don't Starve Together Beta folder (instead of plain Don't Starve.)  

Just pushed another build after @MarkL caught another issue that we think was the real cause of your crashes. Give it a shot after updating! Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Remember to restart Steam after updating!

As for me, still crashed. tried again with no browser hog resources open and even with no firewall, and the same ole problem crashing 2 seconds after it refreshed the join server or create your own menu. 

Updated game, restarted Steam... and still crashing on server join, create and refresh. 

When I do manage to get in, I'm still getting the same Warning screen as earlier.

I should note, I did manage to have about an hour or so and then when my internet had a hiccup and booted me out, I haven't been able to get back in without getting the Warning screen followed by the program no longer working. 

Okay, after deleting local content reinstalling crashing then rebooting stream I can make and keep a game of my own. I'l start inviting people in to see if it can handle traffic or not...

W is the most active on this thread at the time I tried this but all she got when trying to join my world was a black screen,. When I abandoned and tried to rejoin my world server, it crashed, but that simply may be an update delay removal thing. 

When I tried joining another open server (at least it refreshed OK) i got a LUA traceback error. I'll post the log on that report's thread. 

At least we're progressing for some! 

OMG I connected and play with others...what do I do?!

I mean it seems I can get a somewhat reliable connection sometimes, but not without rubberband lagging (on my own server for instance this wasn't there.) I'll note the specifics on future feedback subforums as it isn't quite a bug.  After about an hour i may lose a connection. but this is very early Beta testing, so this is to be expected. others weren't able to connect to my server so i'll try again and see if they can (this time as an open connection as the latency doesn't appear to be crashing the game now.) 

Archived