A letter to Klei

Dear Sir or madam,

I am a student from netherlands, my grilfriend and me have been expecting DST from the begin of summer holiday. Becase i was told by the forums that DST will release in summer.

But after a long waiting time, there is still no result.

As you know in Septmber. we have to ga back to university and care for our study, so it is common that we miss the day of registration for the closed beta.

You can see we loved Don't Starve very much. and my girlfriend is not good at fighting part of this game. xD,

So i am here to ask you give us a beta key of DST.

Thanks a lot anyway. Wish this game a good future. And wish you all sucuess.

Best regards,

James and Annie

Well, they can not give me a beta key, could any good person give me and my girlfriend a beta key?

my e-mail is [removed]

Thank you gys.

So sad, I really do not know why such a good company or studio can not keep their words.

They said by summer, but it is already Autumn. I just do not know why. Even my nephew knows one man 

must keep his word.

they actualy fufilled their promise, if you think about it, as they promised only to have a alpha while in summer, and they already had a beta in "phase 1" on the 22nd. So yeah, they are keeping their word(and if I would guesstimate when it's officially coming out for everybody, I would say some time in the end of november or the beginning of december.(and I'm probably going to whine about it because it "seems unfinished" or "doesn't feel like it should", just like last time...)

So sad, I really do not know why such a good company or studio can not keep their words.

They said by summer, but it is already Autumn. I just do not know why. Even my nephew knows one man 

must keep his word.

The only time they didnt was that they said the first keys will be sent out at the 22th and the after that they only sent them to their familys, besides that, they never lied and did everything like they promised they would, if you didnt check in a whole 3 days this forum, you are probably just not a big fan like we all are, and shouldn't be granted the beta before anyone else who actually managed to register get it, we are a good community , and we care about the game, and thats the reason why we did see the registration and you didn't.

Give them time. A stable version will eventually come out because right now is a beta testing period. Hopefully by December it'll be out.

D-december? I thought maybe it would be released by Halloween. Let's hope not December.

D-december? I thought maybe it would be released by Halloween. Let's hope not December.

Well I'm talking about a stable version. We don't technically know when that'll be out, honestly. It could be by Halloween, it could be Mid November (or the US Thanksgiving), or it could be December. Keep in mind, Klei is dealing with one of their first games converted for multiplayer. It's probably been fun for them and took loads of playtesting to make sure it works. That's why they did beta testing applications. To see who wants to be part of testing, Klei is an indie company, indie companies are usually community oriented. It help that Klei is for community and are Canadian (so they are usually kind about what they do, no offense to Canadians, of course!)

The only time they didnt was that they said the first keys will be sent out at the 22th and the after that they only sent them to their familys, besides that, they never lied and did everything like they promised they would, if you didnt check in a whole 3 days this forum, you are probably just not a big fan like we all are, and shouldn't be granted the beta before anyone else who actually managed to register get it, we are a good community , and we care about the game, and thats the reason why we did see the registration and you didn't.

dude i guess u misunderstand "big fan's" meaning, as u know i'm a student, and it is already Sept.

I have to go to school everyday and do some homework, or maybe my part-time job. That i can not browse

this forum frequently does not mean i do not love this game, I promise I love it as u too.

I also care about it, but I do miss registration.  Do not u gys think a man who can not registration in time

does not deserve beta key is ridiculous?

dude i guess u misunderstand "big fan's" meaning, as u know i'm a student, and it is already Sept.

I have to go to school everyday and do some homework, or maybe my part-time job. That i can not browse

this forum frequently does not mean i do not love this game, I promise I love it as u too.

I also care about it, but I do miss registration.  Do not u gys think a man who can not registration in time

does not deserve beta key is ridiculous?

It isn't like they'll NEVER EVER EVER let people who missed beta sign ups have beta keys. They generated more than a million keys. The phase one keys are just for friends and family, phase two keys are for the people who did the beta sign ups, and phase three keys are for people who missed sign ups. The thread that was linked to you for further information details all of that. 

Additionally, summer ends around September 22. They had people playing the alpha at PAX and internally since it was announced, so the alpha did indeed happen over the summer. The first keys for beta were sent out to friends and family right as it clicked over to fall. The original post in May was called "

Don't Starve Together -- Multiplayer Alpha Officially Coming Summer 2014" and not one point of that was a lie! I played the alpha myself at PAX, quite a bit in fact!

In regards to release dates and such, specifically they said:

"We are aiming to let you get your hands on it late this summer; beyond that, we don't know the specifics yet. That could change, but we are pretty confident that we will be able to get things together for you by then.

We don't have a solid roadmap yet, but it's safe to say that we will likely have an early alpha before going to Steam Early Access beta, just like we did with Don't Starve and the Reign of Giants expansion."

And they've held to that to a T. I've actually been impressed at how straightforward they have been. I actually have notifications set up on my phone to let me know when I've got an email, so although I cannot go on the forums often (small child = limited computer time) I was able to get the newsletter announcing sign ups for the closed beta and sign up that day in a quick spare moment. I highly recommend getting those sent to your email too, it's really helpful if you have a busy life like you were talking about!

When keys do go out, Klei has already said they want to have a way to share keys with your friends. If they are able to do that, I'm sure there are going to be people on the forums working on trying to get other people in who missed out. They may not be able to set the keys up that way, we don't know, but they said they at least were gonna try to find a way!

To be entirely fair, they don't have to have an open or closed beta at all, and I feel super-lucky to get to participate in the development process, even if it's just on the forums! Having a team that's willing to listen to so much feedback, both good and bad, and adjust the game accordingly, is friggin' awesome.

tl;dr hang tight, nobody said you weren't allowed to have a key ever, sign up for the newsletter

@MizYin it's actually 2 million...

and to the op: Yes, I do think it's fair for not giving beta keys to someone if their missed the registration(specially because it went on for more than 1 day IIRC). Getting to beta test is not a guaranteed right, it's a thing only few people get to do. so if you didn't get to register for whatever reason, then you can just wait and play with the rest of the people when it's released to the public.

Archived