Armour/Backpack combo. A suggestion for DST and/or DS/RoG

I've seen enough comments asking the developers to allow us to equip both armour and a backpack. We all know the reasons, the explanations and the frustration that comes with it, over why the idea isn't or is a good one.

Well why not make armour that can function as both "armour" and a backpack? It can be the weakest gear out of the current line up of armour but it allows the player to carry four additional items.

Seeing as Chester could potentially be a lone ranger, this may be a compromise.

To craft

3 x Wooden boards

3 x Stone

2 x Rope

If not something official then maybe a mod?

I just wear a backpack all the time and when trouble's coming I just drop it by equipping my log suit and come for it after things have settled down(or not at all if I die. you don't need a backpack when your dead). Or on the go I run away with a football helmet on. Or hide with a bush hat next to traps, a lure plant, killer bees, etc. Might not fool players with the bush hat though, and they might loot my bag if I drop it but that's my deal :p The 'just add a mod to your server' solution sounds fine to me. If they did implement that the character would have to slow down with both on because wearing both would be bulky, heavy and awkward. 

I disagree with this on the full line:

• As SillyWilson stated, it is more efficient on both inventory and armour side to have a regular backpack and switch to armour when needed, as there aren't any situations in which you would need really weak armour and couldn't drop something that burns.
  • The need to decide for one is an important bit to the survival strategies the community came up so far. It'd be ridiclious to add a both-in-one item, especially at this late point.
  • There is a mod for wearing armor and backpack independently.

Giving the krampus sack some awesome armour ability, on the other hand... requires an awesome Krampus to begin with. Get on it, Klei! Or Mr. Tiddles, once he's done with Warfarin and Hunted.

Hold up! This is the first suggestion out of all the suggestions I've ever made that specifically states in the main OP: "If not something official then maybe a mod?". If I wanted it in game as something official that statement wouldn't be in my OP, and I'll comment fight you 1 on 1 if someone said the words "Mod" in my thread :)

This is just something for the people who are 100% for the idea of combining the two together. Obviously if not something official then maybe a modder can make it?

Hold up! This is the first suggestion out of all the suggestions I've ever made that specifically states in the main OP: "If not something official then maybe a mod?". If u wanted it in game as something official that statement wouldn't be in my OP, and I'll fight you 1 on 1 if someone said the words "Mod" in my thread :-)

This is just something for the people who are 100% for the idea of combining the two together. Obviously if not something official then maybe a modder can make it?

Ah I see. I was stuck in the mindset that it'd be bulky and inconvenient in game, but as just a mod I'm sure thats a great idea for those who want it :grin: Maybe instead of a backpack strapped to armor it could be armor similar to a bullet proof vest, with a lot of pockets and belt, and be the same health as the log suit, but the consequence of the pockets is that every time you get hit 1 object falls out of a pocket (because who wants tonnes o pockets each individually buttoned? lots of fumbling.) potential materials could be logs, stones, gold, marble, silk, koalefant trunk and rope( for belt at least.) Maybe there could be a sheath on the belt to carry a seccond weapon to toggle between the two with the press of a key, though thats not quite necessary I realize :razz:

I'd rather put RPG Hud on my server. That's still a good suggestion though. And I only saw one person complain about that here.

Late Edit:Maybe more teirs, though (4 at max) each one get more expensive and acts like the respective armors but can still function like regular backpacks. (the first would be be like a weaker grass armor as you said and has 4 slots but the next teir would be a regular backpack with 6 slots and a weaker log armor made with 3 rope, 1 board, 6 cut grass and 6 twigs, then the  combination of a pig sack and marble armor which is 8-16 marble 4 rope 6 pig sack and 4 twigs. And finally an expensive combination sharing attributes of both the night armor and the krampus sack with a tad bit less sanity loss and 25/26 slots but requires 20-40 gold, 12 nightmare fuel, 8 papyrus and 6 charcoal.

That's just an edited thought that came to mind, if I learned lua (which I will, I have an Uncle that coded in Java and will be taking a collage course for coding in java and or lua.)

Not to be that kind of person (I'm going to be anyway), but why is this in the DST forums?

It's because, as J20hawkz suggested, there might only be one chester per world. We (or I due to lack of reading) don't know that for sure yet, though in the rhymes with play stream I saw a willow being attacked, and one of the guys said she had the eyebone, so maybe there's only one (for now), or they didn't want to hassle finding another one. (no specific time, i think it was nead the middle of the video, erring to the earlier side)

I've seen enough comments asking the developers to allow us to equip both armour and a backpack. We all know the reasons, the explanations and the frustration that comes with it, over why the idea isn't or is a good one.

Well why not make armour that can function as both "armour" and a backpack? It can be the weakest gear out of the current line up of armour but it allows the player to carry four additional items.

Seeing as Chester could potentially be a lone ranger, this may be a compromise.

Archived